• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ReCore |OT| Rock Your Core for a Prime Bot

All these positive impressions are making me really want to give this one a go. I think I'll wait a couple months though in hopes of some updates to the Xbox version to hopefully improve the loading times.

Play Anywhere is truly fantastic. I get the TV tonight since South Park is back but that meant letting my wife watch whatever she wanted at 9 PM. She chose one of her awful shows.
I said I would be back in an hour.
Fired up Recore, load times on PC are literally like 10x faster, got to play a bit and it flew by.
Back downstairs. South Park is beginning.
Brilliant. Just brilliant.

100% agree on play anywhere. One thing I do like on the PC more than on the Xbox one is how the achievements unlocked are shown. Seems more appealing than what the Xbox One has.

Also agree with others, this game is awesome. Actually, it makes me want to play the new tomb raider games again.

Recreat3

So is anyone else having problems with waypoints disappearing or not updating? Im up to the bit where you use cores to open a gate to another area but once i enter my waypoint doesnt update.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
If it's padding ala metroid prime or wind waker, I could care less. Or If not how else does the end play out to completely ruin everything I played prior?
Well, I'm not sure.. I could imagine a super frustrating end game could sour the whole experience. So i'm waiting to see what people here think.

ReCore%209_14_2016%206_22_23%20PM.png~original

ReCore%209_14_2016%206_24_37%20PM.png~original

ReCore%209_14_2016%2012_29_26%20AM.png~original

Got to play for 90 minutes today. Definitely got some Megaman Legend vibes. Game mechanics seem pretty simple. But I am a simple man. Played on the Xbox. Looks good, controls well. Load times are long, but not too often.

Very fun. Looking forward to more.

Grisby

Just got Duncan. I really love how vertical these levels can get. In some cases you can bypass the optimal jump route by just elder scrolls-ing your way around on some rocks.

Noobcraft

I had some huge performance issues in the first optional dungeon, but regardless I'm having tons of fun with the game. Judging by reviews I assume there's some point at which the game just gets bad? This game kind of reminds me of sunset overdrive but with a decent story and some rough edges in the animations (which is fine, gameplay is king).

Damn, I am enjoying this game so much. It's like an actual videogame. Maybe I'll get to a point where it gets bad or whatever, but I cannot even believe that. I love it.

Meh, not loving the game so far. Finished Pylon 512 (first area basically) and just find the FOV really bad, the controls awkard especially in combat, and the whole world/dungeon system ugly. Everything feels a bit awkward and badly put together, like it still needs a few more months of polish.

I still don't really understand boss fights, the 512 boss took me like 10 minutes because I kept getting it low, trying to extract, and failing. It never got me below 90% health even when I was just sitting there trying to figure out how the hell extract is supposed to work on bosses. I'm not even sure what I did to win, just kept trying to extract over and over and one time it worked. I literally nearly killed it maybe 30 times over 10 minutes.

Probably going to trade it in soon, just not really feeling a fun vibe with the game. Performance and load times on xbox one are just fine for me, load times are sometimes a little too long but after Deus Ex its really not a big deal.

The FOV really bothers me when combined with doggy-pet, I'm staring at some random loot box trying to figure out how to get to it and then I hear a bunch of beeps and whistles and I think its an enemy but its just the dog roaming around. Or it does turn out to be an enemy and I can't figure out where the hell it is.

On the plus side I got a cool plushy hat with my best buy pre order, my granddaughter is going to love it I think.

brainpann

So is anyone else having problems with waypoints disappearing or not updating? Im up to the bit where you use cores to open a gate to another area but once i enter my waypoint doesnt update.

I had a similar issue on the second dungeon. Probably what you are refering to, no? I got one of the cores I just ignored it cause everything seemed to be fine otherwise.

ebevan91

Meh, not loving the game so far. Finished Pylon 512 (first area basically) and just find the FOV really bad, the controls awkard especially in combat, and the whole world/dungeon system ugly. Everything feels a bit awkward and badly put together, like it still needs a few more months of polish.

I still don't really understand boss fights, the 512 boss took me like 10 minutes because I kept getting it low, trying to extract, and failing. It never got me below 90% health even when I was just sitting there trying to figure out how the hell extract is supposed to work on bosses. I'm not even sure what I did to win, just kept trying to extract over and over and one time it worked.

Probably going to trade it in soon, just not really feeling a fun vibe with the game. Performance and load times on xbox one are just fine for me, load times are sometimes a little too long but after Deus Ex its really not a big deal.

The FOV really bothers me when combined with doggy-pet, I'm staring at some random loot box trying to figure out how to get to it and then I hear a bunch of beeps and whistles and I think its an enemy but its just the dog roaming around. Or it does turn out to be an enemy and I can't figure out where the hell it is.

On the plus side I got a cool plushy hat with my best buy pre order, my granddaughter is going to love it I think.

I don't know what's up with Deus Ex's long load times. I'm playing the game on PC using a solid state drive and it still took a couple minutes to load into the game.

Recreat3

I had a similar issue on the second dungeon. Probably what you are refering to, no? I got one of the cores I just ignored it cause everything seemed to be fine otherwise.

Yeh i think so. Its the access granted objective. "Use the collected cores to open the gate". I open the gate and then the objective doesnt uodate so i have no idea where to go or what to do next.

Zedox

So apparently the 5th bot, the Tank has been cut from the game but all the assets and parts are in the game. Very disappointing.

Just reached the Shifting Sands and the game is starting to fall apart for me a bit. Increasing technical issues and ridiculous load times are starting to become prevalent.

First 6 or so hours were pretty flawless for me so I'm not sure what the deal is. Maybe the game just reaches a point where quality starts to go down.

RobbieNick

VERY solid game for $39.99 (or $32.00 GCU). Wasn't expecting much out of it, but I'm enjoying myself. I just realized I'd buy a lot more titles if they were at $39. It's the perfect jumping in price for me.

Stoze

Played for about 4 hours, it's pretty fun. Movement and platforming is a blast and feels great, and coming back to old areas that you couldn't access with new bots is very enjoyable. Combat also feels good, but it's too easy and I'm starting to feel a bit like I'm just going through the motions. I've never gone below half health in battle and I don't think I've seen any of my bots go below 75% outside of scripted stuff.

As expected the game is insultingly handholdy to the point where it has screwed me over; twice I was platforming or shooting enemies in a dungeon while it pauses and goes to a cutscene slowly panning over to where I'm supposed to go, and then puts a green objective marker on it. Why the fuck would you need both, and is having relatively linear dungeon design and a map not enough? Cut back to me falling off a ledge or getting shot at. The permanent objective and annoying tips don't help either, and considering I don't need the objective marker in the first place I'm completely baffled why there's no option to turn off the HUD.

Despite that rant, I'm still enjoying it. It really does feel like an Xbox/PS2 action game which is certainly refreshing in many aspects.

TripOpt55

Played up to the first dungeon. Seems pretty neat. I could see why I read a lot of people saying it felt like a game from the PS2-era. It is definitely a welcome throwback. I'm enjoying it so far. Will dig in more tomorrow (had to get my You're the Worst/Mr. Robot combo in before bed or I would have played more tonight!).

brainpann

Yeh i think so. Its the access granted objective. "Use the collected cores to open the gate". I open the gate and then the objective doesnt uodate so i have no idea where to go or what to do next.

Yeah, same one. If you opened the gate, an enemy(boss?) with a core should appear. Thats the 4th core you need.

Recreat3

Yeah, same one. If you opened the gate, an enemy(boss?) with a core should appear. Thats the 4th core you need.

Yeh i did that and now i still dont know what to do so i just tried out some dungeons and unlocked another core. I wish my waypoint would change :/

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Just preordered my digital copy. If it preinstalls this afternoon, I might be a rebel and stay up past midnight to play for a wee while.

Can't wait to get into this game. I was looking forward to it anyway, but reading through people's early impressions in this thread has me even more excited. It sounds like exactly what I was hoping for; a cool new ip in an interesting setting with likeable characters and some tight, fun gameplay. That's all I wanted!

Justinh

So apparently the 5th bot, the Tank has been cut from the game but all the assets and parts are in the game. Very disappointing.

That sucks. I was wondering what the
T8-NK
parts were. Maybe they put it off to get the game out, and it'll be a DLC thing.

Justinh

This showed up in my Twitter

Quick Look: ReCore

Not seen it myself yet.

Really disheartening to hear how hard the game dropped off for them after it sounds like they really liked it in the beginning. I'm still enjoying it and I have a little bit less than 10 hours (according to my xbox profile), but I've been having fun doing all the side stuff so hopefully it won't stop being fun for me.

Badoink

Banned
After watching the Quick Look on Giant Bomb...

Is the ground really that bright all the time? It's really annoying and tiresome.

As expected the game is insultingly handholdy to the point where it has screwed me over; twice I was platforming or shooting enemies in a dungeon while it pauses and goes to a cutscene slowly panning over to where I'm supposed to go, and then puts a green objective marker on it.
Pretty much just unsold me on the game with that.

garth2000

Just how long is the initial game boot time? I see the spash screen and the microsoft logo, then just get the loading dot for a few mins. Ive tried clearing the cache to no avail. Anyone else have this issue?

Edit: figured it out in case anyone has the same issue. Turns out the game needed an update. My xbone also needed an update but it didnt tell me. The game couldnt connect to live for the update and it wasnt erroring out. Once i updated my xbone the game updated and all is good.

Dont know why the game or console wasn't notifying me.

Really disheartening to hear how hard the game dropped off for them after it sounds like they really liked it in the beginning. I'm still enjoying it and I have a little bit less than 10 hours (according to my xbox profile), but I've been having fun doing all the side stuff so hopefully it won't stop being fun for me.

My guess is that doing all the side stuff as the game progresses will make it so you don't feel the drop off many people experience. I'm only 8 hours in, though, so I guess we'll see soon enough! That said, I'm really enjoying this game more and more. Those damn load times, though...

Zedox

I've played for 8hr and 51min according to Xbox and still having fun. I'm searching for prismatic cores before going into the Eden Tower
I'm at the point where I have to fight Victor. I died once and said eff it, I'm gonna go explore.

Totally into this game so far! I'm about 6.5 hours in, but a lot of that has been exploring. I did the Pylon 512 dungeon, then went exploring. I've done one optional dungeon and have found enough cores to go to another one if I want.

Playing on XBox One... I've died twice, but the load times didn't seem that bad when coming back. Not two minutes. Probably more like 45 - 60 seconds. The performance really took a hit when in the optional dungeon. VERY choppy, but still playable. It only seemed to suffer when running around and not during combat or platforming, so very odd.

So far, I'm glad I picked it up. It was on a complete whim. I went to get Bioshock Collection and saw this and said, "eh, why not".

Novocaine

If Bioshock Collection doesn't arrive tomorrow I think I'll pick this up tomorrow evening. Even with the negative stuff about the endgame I still think I'll get some value out of it.

Justinh

I've played for 8hr and 51min according to Xbox and still having fun. I'm searching for prismatic cores before going into the Eden Tower
I'm at the point where I have to fight Victor. I died once and said eff it, I'm gonna go explore.

I just past that point where you are.

I think this is where reviewers got pissed.

spoiler:
Motherfucker make me leave the dungeon to find more cores to continue on in the dungeon? God... dammit! It really feels like there are going to be these "Core checks" every "floor or level" (whatever the were called) for this area, too. I can't really confirm that though, since I haven't gotten into it that much.

jdevil99

Just got Duncan. I really love how vertical these levels can get. In some cases you can bypass the optimal jump route by just elder scrolls-ing your way around on some rocks.
I was thinking the same thing yesterday when I was playing, was scaling the side of the structure in a, let's just say a not so sauve fashion, and I kept saying man this reminds me of traversing the side of a mountain in an open world Bethesda game. Or as you put it, elder scrolls-ing. Which is to say, I enjoy the ability to do so in that manner. Reviews be damned, I'm having a blast playing this game. Sometimes a game doesn't need to be perfect, it just needs to be fun and certain flaws don't bother me as much because of it. Other than the load times, which just allow me to text or read something on Gaf real quick, I am finding myself enjoying each passing hour more and more.

I just past that point where you are.

I think this is where reviewers got pissed.

spoiler:
Motherfucker make me leave the dungeon to find more cores to continue on in the dungeon? God... dammit!
I'm at floor 3(well need more cores to open it) and I'm gonna say it's safe to assume there's a few more floors. I definitely reached the part where it becomes tedious.

- otherwise I think the games amazing. Wish there were more dungeons and character customization. The platforming, discovering, combat,and controls are awesome. Very happy with the $40 price tag. I hope they can work off of this core(no pun)and make another game or add extra content on the base game.

hollomat

Banned
Picked this up yesterday. Completed the first dungeon and really enjoying it so far. I'm liking the customization of cores and blueprints quite a bit. The traversal controls are also a lot of fun and feel great.

Having a lot more fun with this game then with some games that have scored 9s across the board.

Top Bottom