• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption - 360 & PS3 comparison (Bish-approved!)

Brofist

Kind of surprised this topic is carrying on. Are there any owners of both the 360 and PS3 who would actually buy the PS3 version? When I do get this eventually I'll get the 360 version like every other 3rd party multiplatform game not titled FFXIII.

goonergaz

kpop100 said:
Kind of surprised this topic is carrying on. Are there any owners of both the 360 and PS3 who would actually buy the PS3 version? When I do get this eventually I'll get the 360 version like every other 3rd party multiplatform game not titled FFXIII.

I think it's fair to say the PS3 version is slighty worse but by no means as bad as implied earlier in the thread...I guess it comes down to live vs PSN friends...or which controller you prefer...or which console is quieter for you...or trophies vs gamerpoints.

uraldix

kpop100 said:

I have both and got the PS3 version while my son has the 360 version. I have played both and I'll readily admit that the 360 version looks better but that hasn't somehow reduced my enjoyment of the PS3 version of the game. Could be the fact that I grew up with intellivision and Atari and know what bad graphics really look like :)

Majine

Banned
I've been playing the PS3 version for a couple of hours now, and while it is fantastic in most ways, it is jaggies galore. I didn't see much of that in the HD reviews.

I'm no expert here, but is there any way you can reduce that yourself? Like in the PS3 options or something? ;(

G_Berry

Banned
goonergaz said:
I think it's fair to say the PS3 version is slighty worse but by no means as bad as implied earlier in the thread...I guess it comes down to live vs PSN friends...or which controller you prefer...or which console is quieter for you...or trophies vs gamerpoints.

or framerate and lack of detail. It's a comparison thread buddy, not a defend my console thread.

G_Berry

Banned
Majine said:
I've been playing the PS3 version for a couple of hours now, and while it is fantastic in most ways, it is jaggies galore. I didn't see much of that in the HD reviews.

I'm no expert here, but is there any way you can reduce that yourself? Like in the PS3 options or something? ;(

Not really. I find that with jaggies reducing your sets sharpness setting helps. That has a double edge sword effect in RDR and also GTA, making a blurry game a tad blurrier.

Give it a try though.

goonergaz

G_Berry said:
or framerate and lack of detail. It's a comparison thread buddy, not a defend my console thread.

yes, but it's also a thread that requires reading - the question was "Are there any owners of both the 360 and PS3 who would actually buy the PS3 version?"

this is like the 3rd time now - people should really look before they leap

Majine

Banned
G_Berry said:
Not really. I find that with jaggies reducing your sets sharpness setting helps. That has a double edge sword effect in RDR and also GTA, making a blurry game a tad blurrier.

Give it a try though.
Guess I'll have to mess with the In-game and TV settings. At this point, I think I'll have some blur rather than the jaggies. :lol

goonergaz

Majine said:

maybe your contrast is a little high? IIRC someone mentioned you can adjust some settings in game...might be worth a try...

Feindflug

Jtyettis said:
Yea ME2, Bioshock 2, Bayonetta, BFBC2, and pretty sure Metro 2033 (this may actually be a little higher iirc, non-standard res maybe) are all 720p.

Μetro 2033 was 720p with a custom AA and was very impressive visually same with Lost Planet 2 which looks simply amazing and runs at 720p with 2xAA.

This year we have some really great looking games for both systems though it is true that recently the 360 has some high-profile titles at sub-HD resolutions like FFXIII, SC: Conviction and Alan Wake.

FrankT

Feindflug said:
Μetro 2033 was 720p with a custom AA and was very impressive visually same with Lost Planet 2 which looks simply amazing and runs at 720p with 2xAA.

This year we have some really great looking games for both systems though it is true that recently the 360 has some high-profile titles at sub-HD resolutions like FFXIII, SC: Conviction and Alan Wake.

Perhaps, although I was simply pointing out those games from his card which he thought he only played one. More like six with RDR.

Meus Renaissance said:
I installed the game on the HDD but unlike other titles, there is no Play from HDD option. What gives

Not sure, been playing mine the whole time off the HDD.

Wazzim

Banned
My friends have the PS3 versions and don't really give a sh!t about it, one even plays with a SCART cable on a 1080P tv :lol

BTW Finally a real member :D
Wazzim
(Today, 01:16 PM)

goonergaz

leng jai said:
Thats right.

out of interest do you know why it gives the option to 'play game' or 'play game from HDD' (from memory) if it plays from HDD anyway?

it's nice to know it plays from the HDD anyway

goonergaz

Dabanton said:
goonergaz has been on overdrive in this thread. :lol

lol, only thread I've every posted in, wanted to post in the LBP thread however it took 3 mths to get registered! :lol

this game has intrigued me, I wanted to wait to pick it up but now I'm gagging...thankfully it's at home waiting for me! :)

V_Arnold

goonergaz said:
out of interest do you know why it gives the option to 'play game' or 'play game from HDD' (from memory) if it plays from HDD anyway?

I think that since the last dashboard update, the "play from HDD" never appears again, it just says Play The Game now for everything.

I have no proof for this, but I think this is the case.

leng jai

goonergaz said:

I have no idea. Why would anyone want to play from the disc after they install the game? Makes no sense.

goonergaz

leng jai said:
I have no idea. Why would anyone want to play from the disc after they install the game? Makes no sense.

I know, but as it stands - to launch a game I go into the game 'folder' and click 'play from HDD' - nice to know I can just click 'play game' in future :D

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
all the hype behind this game has broken me down to buy a copy...i have both systems...i'd like to thank this thread for helping me decide which version to get :D

kpop100 said:
It's nowhere near as bad as it was say 2 years ago, we're getting pretty much parity between the two systems on the vast majority of higher profile games and there is a small but growing list of PS3 multi-platform games that are arguably better out of the gate for various reasons (without going into list wars here).

I don't think anyone was really surprised that Red Dead Redemption is superior on the 360 considering the differences in GTAIV, although I think a few people would have expected nearer to parity, the shots posted above showing the differences in the grass really stand out as obvious for me.

I keep hearing murmurs about a PC version, is there a confirmation either way yet? Hopefully it will run better than GTAIV PC did if we see it.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
kpop100 said:

I am getting the PS3 version, for the standard reasons prefer the controller, more friends online, free online etc. I am not too bothered about a bit of loss of detail in the grass. It is disappointing though that some developers still haven't figured out how to optimise for the PS3.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Tobiasboon said:
I keep hearing murmurs about a PC version, is there a confirmation either way yet? Hopefully it will run better than GTAIV PC did if we see it.

Hopefully, I will then be able to buy the best graphical experience possible for about £5 in 2 years time :D

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Class_A_Ninja said:
I was under the impression that everything automatically played from the HDD if it was installed.

It does. However I've noticed that since the USB update a few weeks ago the 360's stopped saying "Play from HDD" , instead it just says "Play Game" even if it's installed.

edit : somewhat beaten ...

DeadGzuz

Banned
kpop100 said:

In the last few years most devs reach parity, where parity most people would fail a blind test. You can count the number of bad ports on one hand in the last two years, counting RDR.

pr0cs

kpop100 said:
Are there any owners of both the 360 and PS3 who would actually buy the PS3 version?

The problem is that most of these comparisons come out too late (several days/weeks after release).

Emitan

Are there any owners of both the 360 and PS3 who would actually buy the PS3 version?
I bought the PS3 version. One of my best friends won't pay for Live so he's getting the PS3 version so we can play together in Free Mode. And the differences really aren't that bad. I haven't had any real performance issues in the game besides the occasional MINOR framerate drop.

Omiee

kpop100 said:

im getting it on the ps3 even though i also have a 360 elite, i just have way more friends on the ps3 i can play onlne with with headset etc.
ill just max the game out when it comes out for pc on my rig

mujun

Billychu said:
I bought the PS3 version. One of my best friends won't pay for Live so he's getting the PS3 version so we can play together in Free Mode. And the differences really aren't that bad. I haven't had any real performance issues in the game besides the occasional MINOR framerate drop.

So the rez is the same as the 360 version in your PS3 version?

Don't bother, the differences are explicitly detailed by people who actually seem to know what they are talking about.

Why are there so many people crusading for the PS3 version despite the fact the drama is all but over?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
mujun said:
So the rez is the same as the 360 version in your PS3 version?

He didn't say that, did he? He said 'the differences really aren't that bad'.

Much as I would love to keep the 360 version, the POS has apparently decided to pack it in. The disc drive won't work. It's not 3 red lights so my warranty won't cover it. Fucking joy.

I managed to retrieve the disc via manual eject. Wonder how much I'll get to trade it back in. I'm sure I'm gonna get some funny looks trading the 360 version back in for the PS3 game :lol

(PS: the 360 version is hardly shimmer/jaggie/frame-drop free. Quite on the contrary. It would be easy to try and characterise these as PS3-specific problems - perhaps they are worse on PS3, but they're not PS3-exclusive. Also, whoever said earlier that the game had 'smooth' shadows - lol. The game is very nice looking though, I love the sunsets, the outdoor lighting is lovely and 'alive'. If these things transfer over to the PS3 version I won't mind 'downgrading'.)

cgcg

I don't think you know how to read. He said HE didn't have any real issue with it. I mean why can't he feel that way? I mean we have tons of xbots trying to convince each other the awful res in FF13 and Alan Wake is no big deal so why not here?

mujun

gofreak said:

Much as I would love to keep the 360 version, the POS has apparently decided to pack it in. The disc drive won't work. It's not 3 red lights so my warranty won't cover it. Fucking joy.

I managed to retrieve the disc via manual eject. Wonder how much I'll get to trade it back in. I'm sure I'm gonna get some funny looks trading the 360 version back in for the PS3 game :lol

(PS: the 360 version is hardly shimmer/jaggie/frame-drop free. Quite on the contrary. It would be easy to try and characterise these as PS3-specific problems - perhaps they are worse on PS3, but they're not PS3-exclusive. Also, whoever said earlier that the game had 'smooth' shadows - lol. The game is very nice looking though, I love the sunsets, the outdoor lighting is lovely and 'alive'. If these things transfer over to the PS3 version I won't mind 'downgrading'.)

Sorry, you are right. Don't waste your time linking to one of the millions of pics, the comparison vids or the detailed comparisons by people who seem to know their shit.

Instead let's just keep a steady flow of "I just got the game, shit looks almost exactly the same on the PS3."

Pooya

gofreak said:

Shadows are fine, nothing like GTA IV.

mujun

gofreak said:

Try telling them it's an E74 error and that your drive is busted. I got the drive fixed on my machine for free that way.

WrikaWrek

Banned
gofreak said:

Love how obvious it is that the 360 would crap out on you, you would downplay every single advantage of the 360 version, and jump to the PS3.

Life is funny like that. Shadows are great on the 360 version.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
mujun said:
Sorry, you are right. Don't waste your time linking to one of the millions of pics, the comparison vids or the detailed comparisons by people who seem to know their shit.

Instead let's just keep a steady flow of "I just got the game, shit looks almost exactly the same on the PS3."

We've had pics, we've had comparisons, we know the differences...is he not allowed express his evaluation/opinion of those differences and their magnitude? If not, we might as well just lock the thread now until any further analysis is made, because all you're going to have otherwise is peoples' impressions of the differences and their opinion of them.

miladesn said:
Shadows are fine, nothing like GTA IV.

They are 'fine', at least when the higher quality shadowing pops in, but they're not note worthily smooth either per that earlier post.

mujun said:
Try telling them it's an E74 error and that your drive is busted. I got the drive fixed on my machine for free that way.

Won't they check for a E74 before doing that? It's working fine in all other respects, though obviously the drive not working is a bit of a deal-breaker. I wish it would just RROD so I could get a refund tbh. I digress...

G_Berry said:
Yeah it is one of the best, but it has 4x AA. Much less detail is lost due to the lower resolution because of this.

In GTA IV on PS3 it uses Q AA coupled with a low res, this combo strips scenes of detail big time. Hell, even Nico's face is a mess and looses a lot of definition.

Unless you actually own both consoles and have played these games on your TV then you just won't understand. (Which I guess is part of the problem in these comparison threads)

Vanilla GTAIV did not have QAA, it had a blur filter which pretty much ruined the iq. Still Alan Wake runs at an even lower res which makes it very blurry but less jagged (4XAA). I think the blurriness hurts a game like GTAIV much more than AW though.
PS3 RDR is definitely less blurry than AW.

WrikaWrek said:
Can't speak for the Ps3 version. But on the 360, RDR rapes Infamous.

Seriously, not even close.

For once I have to agree with you. Budget is hardly comparable though.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
WrikaWrek said:
Love how obvious it is that the 360 would crap out on you, you would downplay every single advantage of the 360 version, and jump to the PS3.

Life is funny like that. Shadows are great on the 360 version.

I'm not downplaying its advantages - I am sure it is notably 'clearer', and I as I noted I will sadly have to downgrade to the PS3 version. I'm just saying some of the issues others are characterising as specific to the PS3 version weren't exactly absent in the 360 version. It would be easy to persuade people otherwise reading some of the commentary here.

Sorry if I'm just a little pissed off with my 360 at the moment...it leaves me little choice but to jump to the PS3 :lol

FrankT

Also for those with the 360 version that want a little more pop make sure you adjust your contrast/saturation/brightness levels for full effect.

Kittonwy

Banned
gofreak said:
I'm not downplaying its advantages - I am sure it is notably 'clearer', and I as I noted I will sadly have to downgrade to the PS3 version. I'm just saying some of the issues others are characterising as specific to the PS3 version weren't exactly absent in the 360 version. It would be easy to persuade people otherwise reading some of the commentary here.

Sorry if I'm just a little pissed off with my 360 at the moment...it leaves me little choice but to jump to the PS3 :lol

Come play MP with us sometime. >:|

Jtyettis said:
Also for those with the 360 version that want a little more pop make sure you adjust your contrast/saturation/brightness levels for full effect.

Upping contrast and saturation should help for both versions.

Top Bottom