• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[redacted] Hollow Knight

Nzyme32

I'm a huge Metroid fan, in particular Super Metroid, which I'd considered one of my all time favourite games. I'd argue the same for SotN, other Metroids and Ori.

Along comes Hollow Knight and in my opinion it surpasses Super Metroid in almost every aspect. I casually went through the game in 45hrs. It is now one of my favourite games I've ever played.

Easy Allies have a video up that has the most minimal of spoilers while explaining what the game is, and why you should check it out - https://youtu.be/qmMe71-EGtk

Hollow Knight is currently out on Windows & later this year for Mac, Linux, Switch and PS4.

Put simply, Hollow Knight is a Metroidvania game with a fair bit of influence from Dark Souls - but the game is also so much more than that. Everything from the level design, animation, characters, lore, mechanics, art, music, atmosphere, are all absolutely sublime. The game also takes its own original ideas and really compels you to explore and dig into the world and what's going on. The game is also wonderfully massive and does an excellent job of rewarding the effort players put in to discover the mysteries of the game.

I'd seriously encourage everyone interested in Metroidvania to check this out

You won't regret it!

Full Trailer that shows a lot more of the game / progression - https://youtu.be/UAO2urG23S4

That's all well and good but then it still needs to surpass GBA Metroids, Symphony of the Night and Ori for me, ohoho.

But really I'm very much looking forward to getting around to this game some point later this year, it has console versions coming right?

I'd contend that on atmosphere, navigation, control and aesthetic variety Super Metroid absolutely crushes it. Can't really judge much more on the brief time I spent with Hollow Knight.

Nzyme32

Yeah but how can you surpass perfection?

I'll check it out. ;)

I seriously did not expect much to top how i felt about Super Metroid and SotN, but Hollow Knight absolutely blew me away. The problem with discussing it is that i feel I'd be ruining much of the experience if i went much further than the video already goes.

I never bother with these kind of gush threads but Hollow Knight absolutely deserves such praise

That's all well and good but then it still needs to surpass GBA Metroids, Symphony of the Night and Ori for me, ohoho.

But really I'm very much looking forward to getting around to this game some point later this year, it has console versions coming right?

Surpasses all of them. I shit you not.

Artanisix

horrible map and general navigation across the zones. gonna have to say super metroid crushes hollow knight simply in that aspect.

gnomed

I'd contend that on atmosphere, navigation, control and aesthetic variety Super Metroid absolutely crushes it. Can't really judge much more on the brief time I spent with Hollow Knight.
I have not tried it personally, but agree with this sentiment from videos alone.

jb1234

I adored Hollow Knight but honestly, the games are doing different things. SM is a short but sweet, perfectly paced game. HK is absolutely sprawling and often sacrifices pacing for content.

emag

The awful aesthetic and interminable playtime make Hallow Knight a non-starter for me. Besides, Super Metroid had already been surpassed by Zero Mission.

Shang

Originally was interested in this based off of the awesome art style, then it fell off my radar because there's been a flood of metroidvanias lately

it's back on my radar, I'll check it out when t comes to switch

I highly, highly doubt that OP, but I'll make sure to check it out when it comes out for the Switch. The art style isn't exactly up my alley, but more Metroidvania is always good.

HardRojo

Added to the list of Metroidvanias I have to try some time this or next year. My favorite one so far is Guacamelee. I fucking loved that game and the HD Remix that added new stuff.

Nzyme32

Does it have stats and leveling like Symphony?

No leveling, but it does have a lot of progression towards improving how strong you are, abilities etc.

Hollow Knight also includes a "charms" system. Where there are over 30 different modifiers that you can collect and augment yourself with. They also can link in interesting ways amongst other things. Tons of options for how you play it in that sense

Brizzo24

I bought Shovel Knight on Wii U. When the Nintendo eshop recognizes past purchases, or it goes on sale, will I pick it up on my Switch. I'm still do enamored by Zelda that everything else can wait.

PetrCobra

Okay then. I'll get the Switch version when it comes out. Thanks for the heads up.

watched like under a minute of that EA review

I bought Shovel Knight on Wii U. When the Nintendo eshop recognizes past purchases, or it goes on sale, will I pick it up on my Switch. I'm still do enamored by Zelda that everything else can wait.

Shovel Knight is somehow related to this game, other than the similar name?

Randomizer

Hollow Knight not Shovel Knight lol.

Although Shovel Knight is amazing. It's Megaman and classic Castlevania though not Metroidvania.

Eolz

It's a really good game, and more people should play it, but no.
Seriously. No.

edit: It's better than Ori though.

Nzyme32

Added to the list of Metroidvanias I have to try some time this or next year. My favorite one so far is Guacamelee. I fucking loved that game and the HD Remix that added new stuff.

Of course, I'm sure some won't agree, but I'd implore you to give it a try regardless. I would never have believed it (and indeed didn't), then i played it and 45hrs later I'm thoroughly impressed.

Does it have all the cool hidden moves like Super Metroid, because that's what makes that game 10/10

Yes. Lots and lots of hidden stuff, beyond what Super Metroid did, in large part because the game is much more expansive, filled with characters and story / lore / dialogue and even some degree of choice. Like SotN there is more than one ending, but i feel in hollow Knight, these are justified very well

zoodoo

I'll check it out when it hits ps4. Hope its not another shadow complex. People were comparing this game to super metroid too. What a disapointment!

Nzyme32

Hollow Knight not Shovel Knight lol.

Although Shovel Knight is amazing. It's Megaman and classic Castlevania though not Metroidvania.

Definitely talking about Hollow Knight here. Though i absolutely love Shovel Knight too, but I'd say Shovel Knight is more of a parallel to Mega Man and so many other games, while Hollow Knight is entirely in the realm of Metroidvania

ArjanN

Hollow Knight feels more like a 2D take on the Souls games to me than typical Metroidvanias, kinda like Salt & Sanctuary.

Also, let's be honest Super Metroid has probably been surpassed by a bunch of the other newer Metroidvanias if you leave historical impact/being one of the originiators out of the equation.

Hollow Knight may very well be my game of the year so far even after beating Horizon Zero Dawn. The only real issue I have with Hollow Knight is that you often have to revisit zones that are very far from where you are now, and that can sometimes take a while. The map situation is also a bit awkward. But god damn, the combat\boss fights are good and the atmosphere\art are second to none.

Anno

Agreed. I hope more people give the game a chance now that the release schedule is calming down a bit and then when Switch/PS4 versions launch eventually. It's pretty special.

Nzyme32

I'll check it out when it hits ps4. Hope its not another shadow complex. People were comparing this game to super metroid too. What a disapointment!

If there is one thing you trust me on, this should be it. Even if you don't end up agreeing with me, I'm extremely confident you'll​ love the game if you enjoy Metroid type games. Hollow Knight has a sombre, dark atmosphere to it, amazing soundtrack, tight mechanics, lots of lore, creatures / enemies etc that you can dig into along with all kinds of areas and abilities / ways to alter how approach playing.

It's both Metroidvania while managing to do it's own original stuff. It doesn't feel like it is simply following the genre template but really making it its own.

I definitely understand the sentiment with Shadow Complex. I feel a similar way about it

Astral Dog

Shouldn't be too difficult in theory for a game released in 2017 to surpass Super Metroid in the same genre. But interesting indeed

Neptonic

Yes. Lots and lots of hidden stuff, beyond what Super Metroid did, in large part because the game is much more expansive, filled with characters and story / lore / dialogue and even some degree of choice. Like SotN there is more than one ending, but i feel in hollow Knight, these are justified very well
I was talking more about the skill based wall jumping and shinesparks that they don't have a written tutorial for and you learn through experimentation how to do them.

poodaddy

The aesthetic is unfortunately a real turn off for me. I'm glad the game turned out great, but it's just got one of those art styles that I immediately noped out of. Happy to hear there are more great Metroidvania's coming out though, Symphony of the Night is in my top five games of all time so more developers crafting more games like it is nothing but good.

It's a really good game, and more people should play it, but no.
Seriously. No.

edit: It's better than Ori though.

I hope it's better than Ori cause that game is enjoyable but a bit blown out of proportion. Would expect something better with the amount of buzz Hollow Knight is getting

gnomed

He's not. I agree with him that it's better than the four games listed. Just not sure if it's better than Super Metroid (but that could also be nostalgia talking).
Hmmm. I played through Super Metroid last year for the first time in years. Still holds up to me. I have not tried Ori or Shadow Complex yet. I'm deciding between waiting for switch or getting it on steam.

Nzyme32

I was talking more about the skill based wall jumping and shinesparks that they don't have a written tutorial for and you learn through experimentation how to do them.

As far as abilities go, you are pretty much put in a position where you have a literal description of what it is and how to use it, and the room serves as a tutorial. I don't think execution of abilities is particularly obtuse or hard, but the mechanics are tight such that you will gradually become extremely proficient with them all and will end up with late game stuff that is a real test of skill - which can feel difficult.

Top Bottom