• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reddit rumor: Destiny II: Forge of Hope, November 2017, [Kotaku & Bungie skeptical]

Jonboy

I actually think Destiny 2 is far too big of a deal than just E3 or a Vidoc

I'm expecting it to have its own big reveal event a la COD does every year in either March or April.

Who knows though, just my feeling on what would be the best way for Activision to handle it. I feel pretty confident on that though, as outside of COD this is Activisions pillar. This is their only other mega franchise currently, and its entirely possible Destiny 2 outsells this year COD
It is absolutely possible. Did you see Schreier's tweet? He said based on how often he's asked about Destiny 2, he thinks it will be the biggest game of the year.

It is absolutely possible. Did you see Schreier's tweet? He said based on how often he's asked about Destiny 2, he thinks it will be the biggest game of the year.

Indeed, I've been leaning on Destiny 2 outselling COD this year for a while now.

We'll see how it goes, game could turn out bad (which would surprise me) but if its quality I think it will be huge. Especially as we have the PC version coming now.

benzopil

Welp sorry guys. Some rumors on Destiny subreddit were legit (and some of them were posted by people with fresh accounts), so...

Anyway, when exactly do we expect a conference call?

One thing that bothers me instantly, I'm now worried that people have become so attached to the game that Destiny is, rather than the game it wanted to be, that the idea of a sequel aiming to bat for their original goal seems unlikely.

I accidently completed my character as a very white, very bald, plain looking dude with also no eyebrows.

I'm cool with no character cross over.

Arkeband

Banned
It's a marketing tactic to ensure to consumers that it's part of the same universe.

Also I totally called that characters wouldn't transfer. Let me try and dig up the post.

Sane marketing would make the base game identifiable - Destiny 2 - and not tack on a needless subtitle. When they make Destiny 2 expansions, THEN they can add "The blah of the blah", so people know that it's related to Destiny 2 but it's not the base game.

Fake as fuck, wrap it up.

Chris1

Indeed, I've been leaning on Destiny 2 outselling COD this year for a while now.

We'll see how it goes, game could turn out bad (which would surprise me) but if its quality I think it will be huge. Especially as we have the PC version coming now.

Just 2017? Or in their respective first years?

But I agree. Destiny will be bigger than CoD, even if CoD goes back to the past.

One thing that bothers me instantly, I'm now worried that people have become so attached to the game that Destiny is, rather than the game it wanted to be, that the idea of a sequel aiming to bat for their original goal seems unlikely.

Idk, I think the majority are excited for something a bit different than the current formula as long as it improves on the sci-fi Diablo gameplay.

Wedzi

Banned
Very few non 1st party games are revealed at E3 games now days. Destiny will be no different.

I realize that COD's event is later in the year. I'm not expecting the same out of Destiny, as it works entirely different. The big draw is PvE not PvP (though PvP is still huge). They are going to want to hype / reveal it as much as possible.

Its too big for E3, or for a low key Vidoc. We are talking about a game that is likely going to sell around 15-20 million units.

I don't think the Vidoc will be low key at all. I'm expecting them to hype it up, stream it on twitch. Not too many games these days are 15-20 million unit sellers so I can't think of too many reveals besides GTA, Red Dead and Fallout 4 and all three of those were revealed through youtube trailers.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I think new engine is a given. They have already confirmed that our character weapons and light levels wont make it over to the sequel so it makes sense if they leave the character behind as well.

60 fps should be a given now considering Destiny 2 is going to be on PC and how pretty much every single FPS nowadays is 60 fps in mp.

The rest of the story details dont matter really. Story is going to be shit. we all know it. What matters is the end game content. they need lots of strikes, and at least a couple of raids. you cannot launch a 60 dollar game with one raid. this isnt 2014.

They also need to give a reason to replay campaign missions. Redesign them so they can be added to the strike playlist.

Gator86

You'd be pretty attached to something too if you spent several thousand hours running the same strikes over and over. There's definitely going to be complaining if Bungie changes a lot, but they shouldn't worry because those same people are guaranteed sales. No one who spent thousands of hours playing D1 is going to be able to resist the sequel. It's not fucking happening. It's gonna look like the MW2 boycott.

18j48weujcgewjpg.jpg

Bungie should be confident in the fact they can do whatever the fuck they want.

One of the most misunderstood quotes. Jason is talking about the fact that yes, in engine, their skyboxes are 90% actual physical (er.. in the digital sense) terrain. You can even still launch items from the playspace and land them on the distant mountains, the buildings out over the ocean on Venus, etc.

It's been this way in their games before Destiny.. If you do a proper glitch, you can go climb around on Sierra 117 if you really want to. It's what happens when you have real, great skyboxes instead of cube jpgs. It's why their sense of scale has always been pretty good.

The only difference is those areas aren't populated with encounters. There's nothing in the engine preventing them from being populated, at all, and they've become more strict about sealing the player in to prevent accidental softlocks.

giphy.gif

Dat spin. ;p

Come on broseph, they where asked multiple times before launch if it was possible to go out there other than the video you responded to and they never once said no.

https://youtu.be/BZ9CLiCcrNk?t=92
https://youtu.be/N-wCwzx1Oxo?t=82

Instead they said phrases that absolutely made it seem like you could. Do you really think that they just talked to everyone like we are developers who should understand the lingo? No. Every single word they say and answer they give is scripted before hand and they know very well who it is they are speaking to. They knew exactly what they where doing.

That being said. Destiny is a love hate relationship for me for so many reasons. I will say that at the moment I am hyped for it to come to PC. But at the same time I am afraid that after spending some time with it again I will start to remember why I quit playing it in the first place. I hope they can actually deliver on the promises they make this time and be up front about it. That will be enough for me to give them another chance I think. That and a cracking PC port.

Enticing news, but the first iteration left a sour taste in my mouth. Won't be buying day 1, but will be following closely all the reviews (critics and everyone here, as well).

CoD is fully owned by Activision, Bungie still owns the Destiny IP and has creative rights. CoD is still very much Activision's priority.

Also there's the esports angle. Activision would love CoD esports to continue to grow while (until further notice) Bungie could give a fuuuuuck about esports.
Bungie took a step towards e sports by allowing us custom matches. The crucible community and the meta with in it is pretty damn big.

You'd be pretty attached to something too if you spent several thousand hours running the same strikes over and over. There's definitely going to be complaining if Bungie changes a lot, but they shouldn't worry because those same people are guaranteed sales. No one who spent thousands of hours playing D1 is going to be able to resist the sequel. It's not fucking happening. It's gonna look like the MW2 boycott.

18j48weujcgewjpg.jpg

Bungie should be confident in the fact they can do whatever the fuck they want.

Idk, I think the majority are excited for something a bit different than the current formula as long as it improves on the sci-fi Diablo gameplay.

I really hope you're both right. Don't get me wrong I really liked some of what was there, especially the MP, but if they can scale it up so it's closer to the original pitch I'd be super excited. Even if I can't control it, I want to hop in my ship from the crucible and fly down to the surface seeing others down there, knowing at least most of what I see can be reached. I'd probably be one of those logging hours still now if they can pull it off well.

Wedzi

Banned
Bungie took a step towards e sports by allowing us custom matches. The crucible community and the meta with in it is pretty damn big.

Oh I'm not saying there isn't a huge market for it. Hell I'd bet if they focused on it Destiny esports could eclipse CoD in a couple of years really. Just Bungie historically doesn't care for esports too much though that could change if Activision gets there way.

Anyhow Destiny 2 is gonna be huge no matter how they choose to unveil it or when it launches. There's already a ton of hype and fans ready to drop whatever to play it.

The waiting game is this industry's favorite past time.

I know we have some doubt about the validity of these leaks now, but I'm still curious. Biggest thing that stands out to me is the continued Playstation partnership. I don't doubt it, but I'm surprised that Microsoft wouldn't want to turn the tables on that one. Also: with Project Scorpio on the horizon, I wonder if Destiny 2 will basically have the same upgrades on Pro/Scorpio?

I know we have some doubt about the validity of these leaks now, but I'm still curious. Biggest thing that stands out to me is the continued Playstation partnership. I don't doubt it, but I'm surprised that Microsoft wouldn't want to turn the tables on that one. Also: with Project Scorpio on the horizon, I wonder if Destiny 2 will basically have the same upgrades on Pro/Scorpio?

You can't turn the tables on a multiyear marketing deal

FyreWulff

Sony has no current plans to let go of the exclusive marketing partnership

This game is a no brainer on PC. Here's to hoping it supports proper PC resolutions and framerates.

Hope they expand normal parties from 3 to 4. Always ended up having to leave someone out when my group of friends was playing.

'forge of hope' is some fanfic-tier bullshit

you know, besides all the other red flags here

no, seriously

if you have to stop and ask yourself "what does that even mean"
as though you were literally reading the fanfic dreams of a moderately literate high school student
then isn't it likely that that's actually what you're reading

case in point

what does that even mean

To be fair Destiny is full of names that mean nothing or are just stupid. I.E The Taken King

GlamFM

Banned

These leeks are confirmed to be fake by bungie.

No idea why this thread is still open.

Top Bottom