• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reggie: AM2R killed because it was a commercial product without a charge

Toxi

Banned
It would have been so so cheap to actually deal with the devs, help them do a quick Switch and/or 3DS port, and release it (the devs would have made good money even with a small cut), and give their own games more breathing room (filling their gaps better).
This wouldn't work for many reasons, among them that Nintendo was already making a modern Metroid 2 by the time that they shut down AM2R.

Beyond that, I feel posts like this really miss why AM2R was made.

cuate

Banned
It would have been so so cheap to actually deal with the devs, help them do a quick Switch and/or 3DS port, and release it (the devs would have made good money even with a small cut), and give their own games more breathing room (filling their gaps better).

they could have. they did not, for very comprehensible reasons.

Mark1

This makes sense when distributing a game of someone else's IP without permission or profit being made on the game.

But I really think Nintendo should pull a Sega and hire fans for future projects. We wouldn't be getting Sonic Mania otherwise.

The reveal of the remake last week also made this removal seem more logical. But they couldn't just say outright here and then that they were making their own Metroid 2 remake ;)

RagnarokX

Awe, man! We could have paid $40 for a fan game, but instead we have to wait a couple of months and pay $40 for what looks like a much better game.

Also this game was already well in development when AM2R came out.

not sure why anyone is suprised
  • AM2R uses assets from Zero Mission
  • It's their IP
  • Nintendo has been developing Samus returns since 2015 apparently. AM2R came out the year after so they didnt want people playing another version of their game for free when they're gonna sell you their version of the game for $40 bucks

Too little too late though. Anyone can play AM2R if they want now

I don't understand why he doesn't just say, very simply:

"We have to protect our IP because we are a publicly traded business. Allowing free use of our property can cause many issues for us."

They don't owe us an explanation beyond this. It's their property.

Edit: I should mention that I played AM2R and absolutely loved it, but honestly with a few changes they could have made something of their own distinction and sold it as a real product.

xqkhiQo.jpg

LOL

eot

Banned
They'd have been better off trying to sell AM2R than a MercurySteam game lol

No wonder they named themselves after toxic fumes

RagnarokX

We could have played two great looking games, why not?
You're suggesting it would have been cheaper to have ported AM2R than to have made Samus Returns, but Samus Returns was already in development. You wouldn't have 2 games in your scenario.

Also...

::gets out psychology degree::

Satiation. The cake comic posted earlier is foolish. Of course the response may be "Two cakes!" but the amount of enjoyment you get from something reduces as you partake in it. Using cake as an example, you get full and your desire to eat cake decreases. When you have two cakes that aim to be the same, you'll pick the one that costs less to eat, get full on it, and have less desire to pay for the other cake. Look at how resistant people are to the idea of paying for this $40 cake even without a free cake.

Can you put a basic timeline up?
Apparently you think it's possible to make a game like this in less than a year...

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Honestly I think they should've done what Capcom did with Resident Evil REmake 2, cancel it but invite the people who made it over yo share, talk, and have mutually beneficial gain for all those involved.

marmoka

Banned
I remember that AM2R came out 2 weeks before Federation Force. That fangame could have undermined the game's sales, but I think everything went worse for FF after all the anger of the community because Nintendo shutted down AM2R.

Whatever, we all knew Federation Force would bomb after the reveal trailer.

Durante

I don't understand why he doesn't just say, very simply:

"We have to protect our IP because we are a publicly traded business. Allowing free use of our property can cause many issues for us."
For the same reason Sony doesn't say "We don't allow crossplay because our shareholders are more important than gamers". Or Microsoft doesn't say "The reason DirectX12 doesn't run on Windows 7 is because we want to push our new OS".

For the same reason Sony doesn't say "We don't allow crossplay because our shareholders are more important than gamers". Or Microsoft doesn't say "The reason DirectX12 doesn't run on Windows 7 is because we want to push our new OS".
Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo: "In some ways we are anti-consumer, but that's Ok, you'll buy our stuff anyway."

YourMaster

Awe, man! We could have paid $40 for a fan game, but instead we have to wait a couple of months and pay $40 for what looks like a much better game.

Also this game was already well in development when AM2R came out.

I'm a big fan of Nintendo's games, but in fairness AM2R was a better game than most of what Nintendo releases, certainly the best metroid game in many years, and I am very doubtful that Nintendo's attempt will outshine AM2R.

But even if Nintendo do pull of the unexpected, and make a better Metroid 2 remake, I still believe they are in their right to kill AM2R. It's weird that they waited so long to do so, but I'm happy they did because now I managed to play the (mostly) completed version.

I get why people are skeptical of Mercury Steam when it comes to a reimagening of a well known Metroid game. Their track record is spotty to say the least. The thing is, by numerous accounts from E3, the game is getting high praise for how great it feels to play. Nintendo has made sure this game plays tight and smooth while offering new mechanics for us to enjoy. Nintendo's quality control is top notch and it has seemed to do wonders for Samus Returns. We'll find out sooner rather than later at least.

I am on the fence about purchasing this game. A free PC reimagining of Samus Returns has nothing to do with it though. I personally don't own my New 3DS XL anymore, so in order for me to play this game I have to borrow my son's 2DS to enjoy it. Personally, I think I would rather miss out on it since I won't be able to enjoy it in 3D and on a larger screen. The 3D I probably could do without, but since the purchase of Switch I would find it very difficult to play this game on my son's tiny 2DS screen. Now if only they would release an HD version of this on Switch I would be set.

orient

Neo Member
Tip to anyone making a fan game based on a corporation's IP: Change the infringing stuff for crying out loud, before you release it. Make it different enough that your hard work isn't going to get C&D'd out of public view. Release it as an homage, not a straight-up sequel or remake. Why there's such an aversion to this in fan communities I do not know.

I wonder if they manage to fool a single person with that kind of bullshit rhetoric.

Jofamo

When he says it was a commercial product, rather than talking about the production value of AM2R, doesn't he mean that it was literally a remake/free version of a commercial product Nintendo still actively sell?

Nintendo sell Metroid 2 on the 3DS eShop, and the remake is a couple of months away. Until the remake lands, AM2R was technically a free, better version of a game they were still selling.

xk0sm0sx

This is the same reason why that Pokemon free fangame was killed.
You simply can't make a fan derivative if it potentially takes away sales of the original product.

If an artist makes a living from selling their drawings, or a band releasing albums, you shouldn't create derivatives of their drawing and music because you can be eating their source of income.

For video games, you can make fan art, fan music because it's unlikely to compete against the commercial works.
But you step into fan games, fan merchandise, you are on risky ground, because it is likely these products will release in the future. (Selling merchandise of IP are very common, that's why you shouldn't release fan goods.)

Japan has a huge fan creation market, but most obey these rules when it comes to picking what to release, that's why they're allowed to exist.

Nico_D

There's some irony in saying this while using an avatar of a Disney character.

No there isn't. If Disney emailed me and said they don't want one of their characters to appear as my avatar, I would wonder why that is but would change it because it is their property. Simple as that.

If I didn't, THEN it would be ironic.

wwm0nkey

By giving it to MercurySteam yes, we agree ;)

Anyway, watch AM2R be way better than whatever they barf out
Except it was getting constant high praise from E3 and the Treehouse video of it was great. I love Metroid but if fans don't buy the games the shit will die again.

Prime 4 helps with that sure, but I would like to alternate on 2.5D and FPS Metroid which I'm not sure they'll be willing to do 2.5D much if sales tank.

Triple Dash

Neo Member
I'm sure internally Nintendo has a positive opinion in regards to fan projects, but it ultimately comes down to the lawyers putting pressure on them. It sucks but it's their IP. I'm just glad Nintendo doesn't have the monopoly they had on the market back in the 80s.

It's cool that some other companies like SEGA are more lenient on fan projects/mods, but then again their IPs (and arguably the companies themselves) are apples/oranges compared to Nintendo's. Nintendo can afford some bad publicity or poor sales here and there.

nded

I understand that Nintendo has to protect their IPs, but the C&D struck me as a pointless gesture at best and a PR stumble at worst. Let us forever commemorate Guasti as the dude that rebuilt Metroid 2 so well it made Nintendo nervous.

Top Bottom