• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reggie: Nintendo will have a big E3 this year.

Malus

Reading some of the comments here makes it sound like Nintendo directs have the best pacing ever compared to live conferences or something. Some of them are boring and dragged out as hell. I remember they once had a segment about Yoshi's wool yarn or something and talked about yarn...YARN.

here I think this was it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlSvTPquUXQ

Yes amazing, exciting and riveting content. Please. No matter the choice, direct or live conferences, it's about the content and delivery. I'm a big fan of live conferences, they r just so much more exciting to me as a fan. You can do a great live conference with minimal boring fluff. Both Sony and MS have done so in the recent years. So I hope Nintendo do one and do it well this year. If they don't think live conferences are valuable they wouldn't have done one with switch (even if it was poorly done). Anyways hoping for a fun showing from the big three this year! New hardware is always exciting times.

What was wrong with that?

This was a re-revealing Yoshi's Woolly World and it's new art style. I thought it was well done with them sitting in the yarn shop, the camera work, and seeing them mess around with the materials. Very well paced too, didn't feel like they dwelled too long on it.

It would've been a lot worse if it were a slowly paced conference where Tezuka came on stage and akwardly tried to describe Woolly World to a likely uninterested audience.

Toxi

Banned
Reading some of the comments here makes it sound like Nintendo directs have the best pacing ever compared to live conferences or something. Some of them are boring and dragged out as hell. I remember they once had a segment about Yoshi's wool yarn or something and talked about yarn...YARN.

here I think this was it

Yes amazing, exciting and riveting content.
Nintendo's E3 2015 direct was so fucking bad.

phanphare

Banned
it's about the content and delivery

this is true. what you're seeing is that, all other things being equal, Directs are a better format for delivering content and information. a presser with amazing announcements is going to be better than a Direct with none and vice versa but all things being the same the Direct comes out on top.

I could see them doing a live conference where the majority of content shown is in direct-style videos. And then maybe some live on-stage demos for some of the more joycon/motion heavy titles (if there are any).

As long as they don't have people in suits just talking on stage for multiple minutes without actually saying anything (I'm looking at you, EA suit from the January event) I'll be happy. Assuming there are actually a solid amount of interesting games to announce.

Realistically I can see a 3DS revision coming coming this late.

GBA had the Micro towards the end of its life. DS too to a lesser extent.

Games wise here's my list of what I think is realistic/doable.
  1. We need to at least see Retro Studio's game
  2. Play Xenoblade 2
  3. See something for Pokemon on Switch
  4. Have some bigger 3rd party games (Overwatch would be the biggest atm)
  5. Need a fighter game to round things out. (Mortal Kombat? SSB? Handheld Tekken? Virtua Fighter? Soul Calibur?)
  6. See more of Fire Emblem Switch + SMT
we need to at least see Retro Studios' game.

here I think this was it

Yes amazing, exciting and riveting content. Please. No matter the choice, direct or live conferences, it's about the content and delivery. I'm a big fan of live conferences, they r just so much more exciting to me as a fan. You can do a great live conference with minimal boring fluff. Both Sony and MS have done so in the recent years. So I hope Nintendo do one and do it well this year. If they don't think live conferences are valuable they wouldn't have done one with switch (even if it was poorly done). Anyways hoping for a fun showing from the big three this year! New hardware is always exciting times.

There was also that embarrassing year where they had an endlessly long interview with Reggie and some Skylanders dude (plus I think all of their dumb skits falling completely flat). Most of the Direct defense most likely wouldn't exist if Nintendo went back to conferences - it's just what Nintendo does now, so that must mean it's the right and innovative way! (despite conferences only increasing over the last years, yknow).
If your content is shit, you'll have a shit show regardless of format. Tons of bad (E3) Directs have proven that. However, everything possible in a Direct is also possible in a conference, yet conferences are inherently better with live reactions and the feeling of importance coming from a full audience hall.

here I think this was it

I didn't have a problem with that since it was basically the proper reveal of Yoshi after the original teaser screenshots.

What was weak was that the E3 after that, they basically did that segment all over again.

bumpkin

I'm mostly curious what they'll bring to the table that hasn't already been announced. I have a wish list of what that might entail, but I know there's zero chance it'll all be there...

- Pikmin 4 - Shiggy has said it's basically done, right?
- Animal Crossing Switch
- Luigi's Mansion 3 - With MP that expands on "Scarescraper" from Dark Moon. That was wicked fun and every Switch has two controllers...
- Retro Studios' Switch game
- Metroid Switch - If that's not Retro's game.
- F-Zero Switch - I'd be happy with a GX HD remaster w/ online play.
- Punch Out!! Switch - Don't even pretend Punch Out!! Wii wasn't awesome.
- Super Smash Bros. for Switch
- Bayonetta 3 - Hey, this *is* a WISH list, right?
- Pokemon Switch - Although part of me suspects it won't be a mainline game.
- Kid Icarus Uprising HD - I would love to play this with good controls.

I am however bracing myself for acrid disappointment. But hey, at least their entire E3 presence won't be one game this year.

AzaK

All I hear is "blah blah blah, same as last 10 years, blah blah". They'be been shitting the bed for years with their E3's, primarily due to complete lack of any one else's games.

To hit E3 they need two things

New Metroid Prime
All the third party games

Cuburt

My biggest takeaway from Reggie's comment is that Nintendo is well aware of what it means to have E3 open to the public this year and is prepared to capitalize on that.

When you think of masses of attendees sprinting to Nintendo's booth in past years (and that was when it was only journalists/media attending), I'd imagine getting big playable games for people for a bunch of their franchises will be a priority, especially because they will want people to get hands-on time with the Switch hardware again.

Imagine if they announce a VR solution for Switch with a big game like Metroid announced for it and then smaller type experiences as well that shows off what Nintendo magic looks like in VR, I think that is something that could excite people, as an example.

majik13

I basically bought a Switch just for Zelda and a potential good Metroid...and maybe Mario.

I really hope they deliver on, or even make, a great Metroid.

Gleethor

All I hear is "blah blah blah, same as last 10 years, blah blah". They'be been shitting the bed for years with their E3's, primarily due to complete lack of any one else's games.

To hit E3 they need two things

New Metroid Prime
All the third party games

You might be substantially less jaded all of the time if you tried occupying the same reality as the rest of us.

Snakeyes

Live press conference with Direct-like segments and Treehouse coverage afterwards would be perfect.

koizumi1.gif

Gotta have on-stage moments like these, which are just not the same in a pre-recorded video.

New Leaf update was probably to buy time for Animal Crossing Switch, they delayed the smartphone app so that it can be released closer to AC for Switch's release.

I dunno about that.

The AC and FE mobile games were both supposed to launch last financial year, FE barely made it and animal crossing was delayed. If they were intending it to launch last year, they really can't tell investors lies if they weren't the plan without getting in real trouble.

The repacked ACNL:Welcome amiibo update was a bit out of the blue, it's not like the game needed saving really, and they could have saved that all for the new game if they wanted...

We will never really know though, so...

I expect a lot of games from Nintendo this year, so E3 should be very interesting in the least. I'm curious to see the ratio of Switch to 3DS games and just how many new IPs they will announce. Hopefully it'll be a good show.

Why is a stream with skits and almost nothing but game related new more cold and pragmatic than a press conference with sales records and other business related shit tacked on?

You haven't watched gaming-related conferences other than Nintendo's in a long time, did you? PSX 2016 was game after game, one of the best announcement-related events out there. I can't remember the last time I've seen sales graphs, lol.

ntropy

Why is a stream with skits and almost nothing but game related new more cold and pragmatic than a press conference with sales records and other business related shit tacked on?
not saying it's more cold and pragmatic. i'm saying it is.
i just think it would be more memorable

and i wouldn't worry about boring sales slides from Nintendo at this point ;)

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
There was also that embarrassing year where they had an endlessly long interview with Reggie and some Skylanders dude (plus I think all of their dumb skits falling completely flat). Most of the Direct defense most likely wouldn't exist if Nintendo went back to conferences - it's just what Nintendo does now, so that must mean it's the right and innovative way! (despite conferences only increasing over the last years, yknow).
If your content is shit, you'll have a shit show regardless of format. Tons of bad (E3) Directs have proven that. However, everything possible in a Direct is also possible in a conference, yet conferences are inherently better with live reactions and the feeling of importance coming from a full audience hall.

I legit laughed out loud at "feeling of importance."

Every live conference has bad content. Before last year, Sony's contained non-gaming stuff like their TV series, financial stuff, etc. Microsoft's had dance routines and celebrity guests. All three have had lengthy, useless developer interviews.

Yeah I want Nintendo to show me the Switch has more than just Wii U ports in the pipeline. Zelda BotW, Mario Kart Deluxe, and yes even Spatoon 2 in my opinion is a Wii U port since those maps could have easily been DLC for Spatoon on Wii U. I want to see what they have other than Mario Odyssey for AAA original content. I have a 3DS but I couldn't care less whats in the pipeline for it. I've made the Switch and I'm not going back.

I legit laughed out loud at "feeling of importance."

Every live conference has bad content. Before last year, Sony's contained with non-gaming stuff like their TV series, financial stuff, etc. Microsoft's had dance routines and celebrity guests. All three have had lengthy, useless developer interviews.

So? Directs don't fix that. All of Nintendo's prerecorded E3 shows have been underwhelming junk with questionable presentations, except for that Zelda and Smash Bros year (which would have been better with an audience, how could this even be denied?). They have not only the same problems, but often worse pacing than a conference, which is then further highlighted by its weird sterile nature (which isn't helped by an increasing amount of out of place animu content like Tokyo Sessions being shown in Japanese).
Obviously, an expensive conference with live reactions will make the publisher look more relevant than sterile prerec streams, which feel like they are aiming only at some circle of fanboys. Publishers like Konami do that before they leave the industry, while no one else has adopted that format and new participants like Bethesda of course chose to do conferences.

AerialAir

Banned
Realistically I can see a 3DS revision coming coming this late.

GBA had the Micro towards the end of its life. DS too to a lesser extent.

Games wise here's my list of what I think is realistic/doable.
  1. We need to at least see Retro Studio's game
  2. Play Xenoblade 2
  3. See something for Pokemon on Switch
  4. Have some bigger 3rd party games (Overwatch would be the biggest atm)
  5. Need a fighter game to round things out. (Mortal Kombat? SSB? Handheld Tekken? Virtua Fighter? Soul Calibur?)
  6. See more of Fire Emblem Switch + SMT
we need to at least see Retro Studios' game.

I can't list anything more appropriate and realistic than this. Nintendo has many dev teams that haven't released anything major for a while, so I can see this truly being a big E3 for Nintendo! Either that or it's gonna be 75% Mario Odyssey.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
So? Directs don't fix that. All of Nintendo's prerecorded E3 shows have been underwhelming junk, except for that Zelda and Smash Bros year (which would have been better with an audience, how could this even be denied?). They have not only the same problems, but often worse pacing than a conference, which is then further highlighted by its weird sterile nature (which isn't helped by an increasing amount of out of place animu content like Tokyo Sessions being shown in Japanese).
Obviously, an expensive conference with live reactions will make the publisher look more relevant than sterile prerec streams, which feel like they are aiming only at some circle of fanboys. Publishers like Konami do that before they leave the industry, while no one else has adopted that format and new participants like Bethesda of course chose to do conferences.

I'm not saying it will fix it, just that it isn't necessary. All three companies make mistakes. Why go through the hassle of a live conference if the benefits don't really outweigh the negatives? Digital conferences allow you to edit out issues, avoid technical problems like the Miyamoto/Skyword sword issue, etc. There is literally no benefit for Nintendo to return to this format. Live crowd reactions are meaningless. Most consumers don't have any idea what E3 even is, let alone are swayed by crowd reactions. Gaming media covered Nintendo just as much as Sony/Microsoft last E3. They did the year before, and before that, etc. They'll continue to do so.

Also, worse pacing than a live conference? The live conferences with dead air, delays for setting up gameplay, waiting for people to walk on and offstage, and awkward developer interviews? I highly disagree.

Yeah I want Nintendo to show me the Switch has more than just Wii U ports in the pipeline. Zelda BotW, Mario Kart Deluxe, and yes even Spatoon 2 in my opinion is a Wii U port since those maps could have easily been DLC for Spatoon on Wii U. I want to see what they have other than Mario Odyssey for AAA original content. I have a 3DS but I couldn't care less whats in the pipeline for it. I've made the Switch and I'm not going back.

Now this is funny. The mental gymnastics.

Betty

Banned
There is literally no benefit for Nintendo to return to this format..

It's fun though.

I agree with another poster, have a live press conference for reveals and demonstrations but also do a direct for further details and longer looks at games.

I'm not saying it will fix it, just that it isn't necessary. All three companies make mistakes. Why go through the hassle of a live conference if the benefits don't really outweigh the negatives? Digital conferences allow you to edit out issues, avoid technical problems like the Miyamoto/Skyword sword issue, etc. There is literally no benefit for Nintendo to return to this format.
Also, worse pacing than a live conference? The live conferences with dead air, delays for setting up gameplay, waiting for people to walk on and offstage, and awkward developer interviews? I highly disagree.

You can do good or bad showings in either format, but a good conference will always be better than a good prerecorded video. PSX16 had none of the problems you describe and better pacing than anything Nintendo ever did in a (big) Direct. Particularly because their tendency for the length of developer interviews is usually extremely poor. Apart from these overblown Yoshi and Skylanders videos, even their presentation of a completely new Starfox game with Miyamoto was painfully long and boring (though it certainly didn't help that the game looked bad). The few good things like the Reggie/Iwata skit absolutely do not need the Direct format and would have been better played in front of an audience.

Clessidor

Try to keep my expectations realistic. Think we will get a few more infos about Xenoblade 2, Super Mario Odyssey and other announced titles.And of course Nintendo will probably reveal a few 2018Q1 and Q2 games for Switch. Fire Emblem and well hopefully Animal Crossing.

I personally don't care if it's gonna be a press conference or a digital event. I think both formats fit well to e3.

NYR

I would love to see EA support them with their sports games. That would be a huge game changer.

my realistic expectations for nintendo e3 direct

Super Mario Odyssey Trailer showing more worlds November 2017

Super Smash Bros 4 port with a couple new fighters December 2017

If ARMS is out in may talk about the first update for the game

Virtual Console Launch date and day 1 content

Details on the Paid online service

1 New IP like ARMS and Splatoon for Q2 2018 release

Fire Emblem Warriors trailer showing new playable characters launches in september 2017

Splatoon release date in either late june early july

Animal Crossing Switch March 2018

Breath of the Wild DLC reveal

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 trailer February 2018

Mario & Sonic @ The 2018 Olympics october 2017

Im leaving 3ds stuff my list for now.

Top Bottom