• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reggie: Nintendo will have a big E3 this year.

I'm pretty sure Nintendo can do great live press conferences again if they wanted.

If they want to please people who want to see them do a live press conference plus give themselves a better presence to the bigger viewing audience, then combine a live press conference with a Digital Event.

DON'T bring all these third party people on the stage. Remember the Iwata vs Reggie Smash Bros fight? Remember when the 3DS was announced and they did the funny skit where Miyamoto and Iwata got sucked into the 3DS?

That stuff is hilarious. They can do the developer interviews like E3 2014-just keep the developer interviews in the video and make it funny instead of having them come on stage. Reggie can come on stage and greet the crowd and do his couple minutes spiel, then jump into a video to reveal Metroid Prime 4 with a Robot Chicken skit after it for example.

I think they can find a good balance to do a live presentation in front of an audience and having prerecorded videos. Of course, in the end it will come down to content. 2015s E3 done live would've been horrible just as it being done through a Digital Event.

And they'll still have Treehouse after to show much more gameplay since Treehouse is one of the best ideas they've come up with.

Team live press conference for me. Ideally they'll have a four hour press conference in during the press conference though show a little goofy video with Reggie and Miyamoto that will satisfy fans of the Nintendo Direct pressers

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I'm pretty sure Nintendo can do great live press conferences again if they wanted.

I honestly prefer the pre-recorded ones. I'm not at E3, I'm not part of the gaming press that gets pissy by my ego not getting stroked at a live event. I have found the pre-recorded press conferences to be a lot more entertaining to watch.

In the end, the exact same information is given out, and for live play stuff, there will be video from the show floor.

Ramsiege

Team live press conference for me. Ideally they'll have a four hour press conference in during the press conference though show a little goofy video with Reggie and Miyamoto that will satisfy fans of the Nintendo Direct pressers
Who wants to watch a four hour conference? Give me a 45 minute direct with bomb after bomb dropped instead at a brisk pace.

No way will they do that with Mario Maker and Run still in people's memories and with Odyssey on the way. I can't see this being another 2009-type situation.
Uhhh isn't it pretty much assumed by the masses a mario maker is in the works for Switch? They may announce it for spring 2018

my realistic expectations for nintendo e3 direct

Super Mario Odyssey Trailer showing more worlds November 2017

Super Smash Bros 4 port with a couple new fighters December 2017

If ARMS is out in may talk about the first update for the game

Virtual Console Launch date and day 1 content

Details on the Paid online service

1 New IP like ARMS and Splatoon for Q2 2018 release

Fire Emblem Warriors trailer showing new playable characters launches in september 2017

Splatoon release date in either late june early july

Animal Crossing Switch March 2018

Breath of the Wild DLC reveal

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 trailer February 2018

Mario & Sonic @ The 2018 Olympics october 2017

Im leaving 3ds stuff my list for now.

Great post. This 100%, although I'd add the Rabbids/Mario RPG and possibly a Beyond Good and Evil 2 teaser trailer.

People are setting themselves up for disappointment if they're expecting some sort of explosive news- we're going to see them solidifying all their previous Switch announcements, and bolstering the Switch with a few more ports and more minor games. There's nothing wrong with that, and I'm sure there will be plenty to feel excited about.

I reckon E3 2018 will be more interesting though, as it'll undoubtedly be all focused on Switch, and we'll be past the 'Wii U ports' phase and into some more exciting content.

MisterP

Banned
Few classics returning, couple of new 1st party IP's, additional BOTW content, Mario Odyssey and a few third party surprises would be exceptional.

But no childish Nintendo bullshit with fucking puppets and 50-something CEO's sword-fighting on stage please.

So why did GF, a Dev who are well know for taking the "easy" option most of the time in terms of re-using assets and animations etc, go to all the trouble of making loads of HD models for Pokemon Sun and Moon, sticking them in the game files and then not using them?
....they did that in 2013. With Pokemon X & Y.

I would love Pokemon on Switch but don't see it happening, but don't use this logic when they did HD models in 2013 in X&Y. (I'm also sure Pikmin 4 was just the 3DS game.)

Anywayz: Heres what I expect:
Smash 5. Yes 5. Theres no way Sakurai would ever do "just a port". Release may be next year.
Retro's game. Not DK or Metroid.
A new Mario VS DK game for Switch that noone cars about. Yes noone cars about it enough to spell cars right.
Mother 3 FINALLY...MAYBE???
VC. At long last we can play Super Mario Bros. on Nintendo Switch.
Zelda DLC Story is longer than BOTW DLC Story.
Axiom Verge developer hired to make new 2D Metroid.
Undertale
New Pushmo launching day of e3 as surprise.
Mario Maker 2 announced. (2018)

Hhmm...I'm actually having trouble making up predictions. Most of the stuff I cars about is already announced lol. I personally want a full on new ip horror game from Nintendo but don't see that happening.

Banned
Just shutup about the 3DS. All focus should be on the Switch. This is the device you need to own for all future Nintendo software.

I'd imagine this is where we'll start to get a picture of Switch's third party support. Nintendo's "Nu-uh! I've got a secret!" attitude didn't really give many devs time to have much ready before fall.

Great post. This 100%, although I'd add the Rabbids/Mario RPG and possibly a Beyond Good and Evil 2 teaser trailer.

People are setting themselves up for disappointment if they're expecting some sort of explosive news- we're going to see them solidifying all their previous Switch announcements, and bolstering the Switch with a few more ports and more minor games. There's nothing wrong with that, and I'm sure there will be plenty to feel excited about.

I reckon E3 2018 will be more interesting though, as it'll undoubtedly be all focused on Switch, and we'll be past the 'Wii U ports' phase and into some more exciting content.

Thank you! I try and keep my expectations very low that way when its something im not expecting i can be really excited for it and when something is not announced im not upset about it.

Neoxon

....they did that in 2013. With Pokemon X & Y.

I would love Pokemon on Switch but don't see it happening, but don't use this logic when they did HD models in 2013 in X&Y. (I'm also sure Pikmin 4 was just the 3DS game.)

Anywayz: Heres what I expect:
Smash 5. Yes 5. Theres no way Sakurai would ever do "just a port". Release may be next year.
Retro's game. Not DK or Metroid.
A new Mario VS DK game for Switch that noone cars about. Yes noone cars about it enough to spell cars right.
Mother 3 FINALLY...MAYBE???
VC. At long last we can play Super Mario Bros. on Nintendo Switch.
Zelda DLC Story is longer than BOTW DLC Story.
Axiom Verge developer hired to make new 2D Metroid.
Undertale
New Pushmo launching day of e3 as surprise.
Mario Maker 2 announced. (2018)

Hhmm...I'm actually having trouble making up predictions. Most of the stuff I cars about is already announced lol. I personally want a full on new ip horror game from Nintendo but don't see that happening.
The fact that the last of the Smash 4 Amiibos are still MIA points more towards a port than a sequel. Plus it's too soon after the end of Smash 4's DLC to do Smash 5.

Just let the 3DS die already. Seeing the WiiU get crumbs while 3DS got all the attention was sickening. I don't want to see Switch suffer the same way.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Few classics returning, couple of new 1st party IP's, additional BOTW content, Mario Odyssey and a few third party surprises would be exceptional.

But no childish Nintendo bullshit with fucking puppets and 50-something CEO's sword-fighting on stage please.

The constant demand for deadly serious conferences at a show about video games makes me laugh every single time.

I'm thinking we'll see more on Mario, Xenoblade, etc. But also see some new projects announced such as hopefully Retro's.

As for Pokemon I want to say its still too early for them to announce it here. I have to imagine sales numbers for Sun and Moon on 3DS are still decent. Maybe have a direct in the summertime if Stars does exist for the Switch.

MisterP

Banned
What? That's the whole fun of watching Nintendo events. The puppets in 2015 were the best part of that show.

Wouldn't it have been nice if, you know.... the games were the best part of the show? They need to cut that nonsense out, its not as if it actually achieved anything for them sales or credibility wise.

If Sony or MS done it they would have been torn limb from limb but Nintendo gets a free ride.

I kinda long to see Kaz Hirai and Yoshida engage in a big anime battle similar to Reggie/Iwata.

If only to see the reactions from the Kaz Hirai Twitter account.

Ridley327

Wouldn't it have been nice if, you know.... the games were the best part of the show? They need to cut that nonsense out, its not as if it actually achieved anything for them sales or credibility wise.

If Sony or MS done it they would have been torn limb from limb but Nintendo gets a free ride.

Nintendo did not get a free ride for E3 2015. They got reamed mercilessly for their showing.

It is highly unlikely Nintendo talks about Mario Odessy, Smash Bros, Mario vs Rabbids and 2d Mario or Mario Maker. That is simply to much Mario for one event.

I think they talk about Mario Odessy, Mario Rabbids if real and smash. Smash will be a Jan 2018 game, I'm guessing. Giving Arms a holiday to build its sales.

pixelation

I felt so uncomfortable watching the stream, i felt like the nerdiest nerd ever. I don't know... it was like a man-child fest... i don't know i really disliked it and i won't see their shows live no more, just gameplay trailers and such (flashbacks of Myamoto with sword and shield *shudders*).

valeo

FUN IS NOT ALLOWED.

THIS. IS. VIDEO GAMES.

p.s. Seems like it's panning out so far! Switch doing well. Zelda one of the best games of all time. Tick and another tick. Of course, that doesn't matter, because they did some silly Nintendo stuff.

The day Nintendo stops being stupid at conferences is the day video games die.

Nice to see how much of a troll you are. Grow up.

Neoxon

3e3.jpg

Metroid, Smash, Mario Odyssey, Pikmin 4, Mother 3, VC including GCN and DC, Skyrim preorder comes with Fallout 3, BG&E2, Eternal Darkness 2, Dark Souls Trilogy, Kingdom Hearts 1.5 + 2.5 HD....you know, nothing big.

Kyzer

Banned

Youre right e3 is serious business, I miss when they used to give us reviews of their quarterly sales and show us financials w/ pie charts. Tired of this "fun" bullshit, i am a grown ass man and when I watch my video game enthusiast convention keynotes I want to be treated with respect god damnit!

Toxi

Banned
Those things are perfectly fine. Nothing wrong with having fun and being "childish".

They only come across as self-indulgent when the content is anemic. Like in E3 2015.

BY2K

Membero Americo

Sony started their conference last year with about 5 minutes of orchestra and everyone was losing their mind with how good it was.

Fanuilos

What are you talking about? The past couple years Nintendo has dedicated a couple days of live streaming their games of E3. That's a pretty unusual thing for other companies to do. Sure the puppets were silly, but it's silly to reduce their E3 showing(s) to just that one thing.

Top Bottom