• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remastered Crash Bandicoot: Warped gameplay

MrBadger

Except it didn't look like that at all because those are emulated shots - the game was sub HD, that's way more pixels than a PS1 could throw out.

Well Wrath of Cortex was a PS2 game.

But anyway, if the actual game looked worse than that, it further proves my point that N-Sane looks far more technically impressive

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
LMAO @ ppl saying this looks bad.

best remaster ever.
looks like the destiny 2 hyberbole crew is back at it again vs crash bandicoot. I love CB since the PS1 days..so much fun playin the game non stop..gonna buy for sure.

People do realize fog is a thing that happens in real life, right? Mist? Haze? Fog? A lot of N.Sane's environments would have a misty haze in real life. And it's obviously too thin of a fog to hide anything behind, so I doubt it's anything done for technical limitation reasons. It would be one thing if you were seeing pop in and thick fog in a bright sunny open field, but in a moist hot jungle, you're gonna get some humidity, to say nothing of a snowy cloudy day.

Roo

People do realize fog is a thing that happens in real life, right? Mist? Haze? Fog? A lot of N.Sane's environments would have a misty haze in real life. And it's obviously too thin of a fog to hide anything behind, so I doubt it's anything done for technical limitation reasons. It would be one thing if you were seeing pop in and thick fog in a bright sunny open field, but in a moist hot jungle, you're gonna get some humidity, to say nothing of a snowy cloudy day.
I wouldn't even bother trying to explain this to people that do nothing but complain about stuff like that tbqh

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
It really is crazy how big and prolific Crash was.

1996: Crash Bandicoot (Naughty Dog)
1997: Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back (Naughty Dog)
1998: Crash Bandicoot: Warped (Naughty Dog)
1999: Crash Team Racing (Naughty Dog)

2000: Crash Bash (Eurocom)
2001: Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex (Traveller's Tales), GameCube (Eurocom) and Xbox versions follow in 2002
2002: Crash Bandicoot: The Huge Adventure (first by Vicarious Visions, 15 years before this)

It goes on.

Would've looked perfect for you if it was on a Nintendo system wouldn't it
No need for console warrior bs. It looks washed out for sure in some levels. I plan to buy it because I love Crash 2 and never got very to play 1 or 3. They've made strides graphically, but it still looks off in places.

Never knew Crash 3 had a bazooka, looks like it might make parts too easy. Is that the point of it?

No need for console warrior bs. It looks washed out for sure in some levels. I plan to buy it because I love Crash 2 and never got very to play 1 or 3. They've made strides graphically, but it still looks off in places.

Never knew Crash 3 had a bazooka, looks like it might make parts too easy. Is that the point of it?

You get it very late game and the game introduces challenges it can't subvert. It kind of punishes you to play the way they do in that Polygon video because as I'm sure you know from Crash 2, there's kind of a "flow" to playing Crash and the bazooka brings you to a total stop, which is less satisfying. I personally only use it in the required places.

PaulloDEC

I wish this included CTR.

If there's any justice in the world, the N. Sane Trilogy will sell really well and kick off a new Crash golden age, beginning with a fully-fledged remake of CTR including online multiplayer and the potential for new content as future DLC.

IF there's any justice in the world.

If there's any justice in the world, the N. Sane Trilogy will sell really well and kick off a new Crash golden age, beginning with a fully-fledged remake of CTR including online multiplayer and the potential for new content as future DLC.

And then a new CTR with a Fast and the Furious-like adventure mode

cordy

Banned
x2j6nit.png

It's amazing to see 2 PSX classics dominating the charts. It's like we're back in the 90s all over again. I took off for both of these games and man this footage is straight amazing.

What a time to be alive.

You get it very late game and the game introduces challenges it can't subvert. It kind of punishes you to play the way they do in that Polygon video because as I'm sure you know from Crash 2, there's kind of a "flow" to playing Crash and the bazooka brings you to a total stop, which is less satisfying. I personally only use it in the required places.

Yeah thats good to know. It looked really disruptive to the base gameplay.

PaulloDEC

aku_ukak5ofs.gif

For anyone who missed them, we've got little clips of both Aku and Uka in the wild now, which offer a chance to both see and hear what they're like in the N. Sane Trilogy. Uka Uka (who I think might be voiced by John DiMaggio this time?) sounds suitably gravelly, while Greg Eagles' Aku Aku captures the spirit of the original nicely.

How this thread feels..

I think people are generally fine with sensible criticism. I'd say it's more like this:

ZPvc.jpg

JordanN

Banned
It really is crazy how big and prolific Crash was.

1996: Crash Bandicoot (Naughty Dog)
1997: Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back (Naughty Dog)
1998: Crash Bandicoot: Warped (Naughty Dog)
1999: Crash Team Racing (Naughty Dog)

2000: Crash Bash (Eurocom)
2001: Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex (Traveller's Tales), GameCube (Eurocom) and Xbox versions follow in 2002
2002: Crash Bandicoot: The Huge Adventure (first by Vicarious Visions, 15 years before this)

It goes on.

Sony should have never let the Bandicoot go. They had their own Mickey Mouse who was in the hands of a legendary studio (and still is to this day).

At least now he's back home.

Roo

Sony should have never let the Bandicoot go. They had their own Mickey Mouse who was in the hands of a legendary studio (and still is to this day).

They never owned Crash to begin with so I don't think they had much of a choice, sadly.
They should have tried to get the IP when things went down tho. Maybe the IP would be in a better shape than what it was years ago.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

I fully expect CTR to be remade should the trilogy sell well. Unfortunately, however, there'd be no chance of it going multiplatform as the original is the one Crash game Sony owns (I have a PS4 myself, but many others don't).

Man I wish some of the people previewing this game would just shut up. Like I want to hear the music and sound effects. You telling me what you're doing as you're doing it isn't helpful.

They said they're gonna be E3.. What more could they possibly reveal?

They did hint at multiplayer stuff before. Would be cool to have at least leaderboards

JaseC

I would do unspeakable things for a CTR remaster. No kart racer has ever come close for me.

Literally the only reason I prefer MK64 is that it supports bot fill-ins for multiplayer cup races whereas in CTR it's just you and your friend/s, which is presumably a shortcoming Vicarious could tackle with a remake.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
I fully expect CTR to be remade should the trilogy sell well. Unfortunately, however, there'd be no chance of it going multiplatform as the original is the one Crash game Sony owns (I have a PS4 myself, but many others don't).

Well, only Naughty Dog game.

Crash Bash is part of the same agreement between Sony and Universal back in the day, so it's possible there's two.

farisr

They said they're gonna be E3.. What more could they possibly reveal?

They did hint at multiplayer stuff before. Would be cool to have at least leaderboards
There may be new features like maybe new playable skins/characters or there are some new levels that they made themselves or maybe Stormy Ascent has been polished up and is part of the game/accessible from a menu in the game etc.

Or what I wish for, preorder numbers are so good that they already greenlit a CTR remaster and are going to announce it at E3.

I have a small dream they reveal a Sonic Adventure 2 style 2-player race mode for every stage. Crash vs Coco.

Or maybe a co-op mode.

They've already gone above and beyond, this would just elevate the entire collection to god-status.

Rlan

Looks mostly great, though the bike segments seem to have a gross camera issue when they go off the jump, jutting up to a different position while in the air.

Otherwise great. Love they they actually got the original meshes.

zeromcd73

http://metro.co.uk/2017/05/26/crash...d-love-to-work-on-another-crash-game-6665337/

KM: Fans are always asking about some of the hidden levels that never made it into the first game...

GC: Oh, I didn't realise that was a thing. Have you been able to put that into the game?

KM: [smiles] You'll just have to wait and see! But there's also lots of little moment-to-moment content that fans will discover. Like a month or two ago we held a contest online to design a new idle animation, and we picked a winner and if you stare at the screen long enough it'll appear – it's a little volleyball game with Crash.
Hidden levels possibly happening? Hype!

This looks like a competent remake of the Crash trilogy to me. The colours are a little too pastel and muted for my liking, I actually preferred the higher contrast look of the original game. But otherwise, this looks like the developers are taking some care to get this right.

As others have said before, Sony never actually owned the rights to Crash. They were originally owned by Universal Interactive, which was a division of Universal Studios. A french mass media company called Vivendi purchased Universal Interactive and gained ownership to the Crash franchises along with Spyro. They also owned the Sierra back catalog of games as well as Blizzard, which were all housed under Vivendi Games.

Activision and the Vivendi Games division pulled a coup on Vivendi and merged into a new company under the name Activision- Blizzard. This allowed the newly formed Activision- Blizzard to have the most shares in the company and break free from Vivendi and take all of the Vivendi Games properties with them. Crash has been owned by Activision since 2008 .

JaseC

Well, only Naughty Dog game.

Crash Bash is part of the same agreement between Sony and Universal back in the day, so it's possible there's two.

As is the case with 1-3, Sony owns Crash Bash, too. Presumably, CTR fell outside the scope of the publishing arrangement and was self-funded by Sony.

I played this at my local bestbuy and was less than. Impressed with the graphics honestly. Controls felt pretty sluggish as well. I don't know if it's because I was all of 3 ft from the screen or what, it just felt bad to play.

I loved the originals and played them religiously when they came out, so I am really hoping they mail it, but I have some doubts now...

Ash735

Just wanted to post these side by side.
Amazing how much small detail is in the original PS1 version even though things only appear from a certain angle for a few seconds, take the flashing neon sign opposite the other N-Core one that's only seen for a few seconds which is missing on the remaster, or the blue window lights on the rectangle rounded building in the far distance, which are not on the remaster.

I know it's nitpicking but really just goes to show how much Naughty Dog threw into this level, and they wanted even more, original plan was to have flying highways below or above the paths but they couldn't get that to work on the hardware, would've been nice to see that attempted in the remaster.

Ash735

The Warp effects look a lot better here too, either they're working fast, or the builds they gave to the press a few days ago were pretty old.

Top Bottom