• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remembering Ryan Davis, 1979 - 2013

SimonM7

Seeing all the Ryan content on the main page of Giant Bomb made my heart drop. I miss the guy so much. I still frequently feel the void he left behind when I see some news about some silly video game thing that I know he'd love, and it's just wrong that he's not around - wrong in a way I really can't seem to get used to.

Rest in peace, duder.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
He made his very difficult job look easy. In retrospect, it's crazy how much energy and personality he brought to the cast.

He made his very difficult job look easy. In retrospect, it's crazy how much energy and personality he brought to the cast.

This exactly, I'm at about GOTY 2009 bombcasts, and when I go back to the present day bombcasts, it really is missing that joy and energy that he brought along.

RIP

Helmholtz

haven't listned to a bombcast since
I've listened to one or two, but yeah... Don't get me wrong, I like the other staffers, but to me Ryan was the centrepiece or main face behind the website. Probably because of how well spoken he was, and how many things he hosted for them.
Ryan's passing really left a void that I don't think can ever truly be filled. He was just such an excitable, jovial person and I still really miss him. I think his death got to me more than any other celebrity, probably because I spent countless hours listening to him on the bombcast and watching their videos. I was upset for days after it happened, and when I take time to think about it even now it bums me out. I can't imagine how Jeff/the others feel.

Still think about the guy almost every day. Outside of a few tweets I didn't even have contact with him. Can't imagine how much his close friends and family miss him.

Zoibie

When I read about this I could not believe he was gone. Today, I still can't believe it.

RIP Ryan

Yup, it's still slightly surreal even now. The guys have been doing an awesome job lately, especially with their recent E3 stuff but I can't help missing him every time a new Bombcast starts up without his signature saying.

I'm gonna go watch that Harry Potter QL.

Yup, it's still slightly surreal even now. The guys have been doing an awesome job lately, especially with their recent E3 stuff but I can't help missing him every time a new Bombcast starts up without his signature saying.

I'm gonna go watch that Harry Potter QL.
Jeff seemed more bummed out. :(
Miss you Ryan.
Need to hear old podcasts to make myself feel better.

Zaph

Someone retweeted an old Ryan tweet earlier today and it popped up in my feed. For a split second I got a strange feeling that equal parts stung and confused me.

Still expect him to pop back up on the bombcast, completely unable to control his gleeful laughter as he explains pulling off the biggest internet hoax of all time.

rezuth

This is scary for me since my name is Ryan Davis, we are the same age, and I got diagnosed with Extreme Sleep Apnea this year. Only difference is I am very thing, but just unlucky with how my jaw, throat, and sinuses are built. I am strictly a mouth breather at night, and am having a very tough time using my Cpap. I will keep trying though, since surgery is to much.
How do people notice they have sleep apnea? Gotta get lucky and have someone see you sleep?

Crazy how much of GB was essentially Ryan Davis.

Haines

Banned
Can anyone tell me how to find the bombcast archive? I'd love to listen from the start.

His death hit me incredibly hard. To this day I miss his personality and I believe it was his amazing lust for laughter and positivity that made it feel like such a massive loss.

Can anyone tell me how to find the bombcast archive? I'd love to listen from the start.

His death hit me incredibly hard. To this day I miss his personality and I believe it was his amazing lust for laughter and positivity that made it feel like such a massive loss.

If you have an iPhone/iPod and the Podcast app you can download them onto your device from there. I'm not so sure if you don't have one of those, hopefully someone can find that for you.

Haines

Banned
If you have an iPhone/iPod and the Podcast app you can download them onto your device from there. I'm not so sure if you don't have one of those, hopefully someone can find that for you.

I have an iPad but all of my pisteing is from my nexus 5 android phone. It must have the equivalent?

bobeth

Sorry for the bump. Had a crazy, feverish night and Ryan tagged along in one of my dreams. I wasn't even a huge fan of the man, but hey.. Sleep tight big guy.

Risible

Every time this thread gets bumped I get bummed the fuck out. Every single time. :( It's amazing how much the death of a complete stranger still affects me.

DaBuddaDa

The dirtiest Ryan Davis slam of all time came out in the Anthony Burch thread this morning:

4So2rzd.jpg

bsod

Banned
I remember losing my job the day he passed. It was a double whammy of sadness :(

It was the first time I've actually gotten emotional over someone dying I've never personally known. He was such an great guy.

At least we'll always have his Tweet on Jimmy Kimmel.

BearPawB

Banned
On the last anniversary of his death I wore my "China don't care" shirt around.

Went to Costco. Guy shouted at me from across the store, "I miss Ryan Davis" and I gave an extended fist as a salute.

It was beautiful

BOTEC

I just rewatched the end of The Matrix Online and Star Wars Galaxies videos on Giant Bomb. Ryan really was the best.

Raide

Wow. I had a weird moment last week. I remember when Ryan died, I register for Spotify so I could listen to his Summer Jams. Utterly forgot about it until about a week ago when I installed it and the only followed person I had was Ryan's Summer Jams.

cackhyena

I was cleaning up twitter accounts I don't want anymore and came across Ryan's. I couldn't delete it. So strange that I even feel that way. Fuck I miss that guy.

Raitaro

Since yesterday was the 2nd anniversary of his passing and I happened to watch ROTJ last night, I'll throw this up here again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sH31sg6VMQ&list=LLmc3I-RI06uy3732CHBv5uw&index=71

Wow, 2 years already? I still vividly remember being on the Eurolines bus from England to The Netherlands when I read the news of his passing. I had to fight back tears the rest of the way (also because my dad died not too long before that and this re-opened those barely healed wounds).

On a side note: can someone answer me why the Giant Bomb crew never seem to mention him anymore, nor do anything to honor him? Not even a "oh, what would Ryan have thought about this game?" sentence or some kind of Ryan Davis award during GOTY deliberations? They don't even seem to get/read emails about Ryan (nor mention that they won't read them on air). Did I miss a statement about this shortly after his passing or...?

I get that they might be doing that out of respect to his wife and parents, but for a website as theirs where 95% is about the crew's personalities and where fans really care about said personalities, it feels weird how they talk about almost everything - personal or games related - except the loss of their friend and his former tastes etc. I definitely would have liked to hear Jeff and co. reminisce about Ryan once in a while or reflect on his death now that some time has passed (or for them to bring up related topics that used to come up but now don't anymore, like what happens with someone's iTunes stuff when he dies, or what to do with a game collection after the collector's death, etc.).

Then again, maybe I'm just weird/don't get the need for keeping such things private.

Boem

Wow, 2 years already? I still vividly remember being on the Eurolines bus from England to The Netherlands when I read the news of his passing. I had to fight back tears the rest of the way (also because my dad died not too long before that and this re-opened those barely healed wounds).

On a side note: can someone answer me why the Giant Bomb crew never seem to mention him anymore, nor do anything to honor him? Not even a "oh, what would Ryan have thought about this game?" sentence or some kind of Ryan Davis award during GOTY deliberations? They don't even seem to get/read emails about Ryan (nor mention that they won't read them on air). Did I miss a statement about this shortly after his passing or...?

I get that they might be doing that out of respect to his wife and parents, but for a website as theirs where 95% is about the crew's personalities and where fans really care about said personalities, it feels weird how they talk about almost everything - personal or games related - except the loss of their friend and his former tastes etc. I definitely would have liked to hear Jeff and co. reminisce about Ryan once in a while or reflect on his death now that some time has passed (or for them to bring up related topics that used to come up but now don't anymore, like what happens with someone's iTunes stuff when he dies, or what to do with a game collection after the collector's death, etc.).

Then again, maybe I'm just weird/don't get the need for keeping such things private.

It's their call, not yours, or mine. I know they offer up their personalities on that site through the podcasts and all that, but they're still strangers to us, not friends (which is an illusion that can come up after listening to the same set of people goofing around for hours at a time) - they present just a tiny slice of their actual lives to us. I don't think it's weird at all if they're not comfortable bringing that up in public. I don't think I would. Losing a close friend is a massive blow, and one that, I bet, they'll struggle with personally from time to time. It's only healthy to try and separate your working life from that.

RIP Ryan. You were the best.

IISANDERII

It's only been 2yrs? I still always think of him when i see Jeff in his chair when a show's on. Rip

Edit: They were together 10yrs? I seem to remember Ryan talking about new girlfriends, break ups on the rare occasion while at giantbomb..

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I forgot that they had to mysteriously cancel the shirt fundraising thing. This site only supports US addresses though, unfortunately.

SparkTR

They still talk about him, for example when they looked up old reviews and playing fan games that mentioned him. They just don't bring him up out of nowhere.

I forgot that they had to mysteriously cancel the shirt fundraising thing. This site only supports US addresses though, unfortunately.
I don't remember this. They never provided a reason? Weird.

I do hear them mention Ryan occasionally, only when relevant to the topic at hand (like telling a story that he happened to be involved in). It is true they don't make a point of talking about him, but I wouldn't expect them to.

Top Bottom