• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 0 HD |OT| I'm Rebecca! Let's do our best!

it's the only way i can actually play. i tried the new style controls in REmake and couldn't get used to them at all.

the standard control scheme has always worked perfectly for me.

yeah, all new comers need to give this game the full experience w tanks controlds.

damn it's 12:02am EST and steam hasn't unlocked for me =(

Jawmuncher

Don't see it unlocked here. EST. Going to bed I guess.
I hope it's not a case of having to wait for PST (though it probably is)

Neff

I can't take that 1/10 seriously. I can see it being bad to some. But it reminds me of Jim Sterling's 3 out of 10 review of RE6 review.
At worst I see RE0 to be a 5-6 out of 10 if you REALLY dislike it.

I will say that RE0 is a game for RE fans wanting more, not necessarily for people wanting RE to entertain them as 1, 2, 3 and even CV did.

It's the last hurrah for classic RE, and while it's not great, it does at least offer a stiff challenge and an intelligently-designed adventure, which is what is at the heart of the series after all.

But after playing RE0 for the last few hours, I wouldn't blame anyone for asking why it doesn't have the impact or imagination of Mikami or Kamiya's games, because unfortunately it just doesn't.

News Bot

Banned
They fucked up the font though.

They did the same with the REmake remaster.

But after playing RE0 for the last few hours, I wouldn't blame anyone for asking why it doesn't have the impact or imagination of Mikami or Kamiya's games, because unfortunately it just doesn't.

Probably because every other main game was directed by the main planning team of BIO1 (Mikami, Kamiya, Aoyama, Katoh) while 0 was directed by Oda, who transferred during BIO1's development as far as I recall. Kamiya was initially in charge of 0, would've been nice to see how it would've turned out.

Neff

Probably because every other main game was directed by the main planning team of BIO1 (Mikami, Kamiya, Aoyama, Katoh) while 0 was directed by Oda, who transferred during BIO1's development as far as I recall. Kamiya was initially in charge of 0, would've been nice to see how it would've turned out.

Yeah, he's even still ever so slightly proud of 0 as it stands, despite him only assuming the role of planner (he contributed heavily to Billy's creation apparently).

News Bot

Banned
Yeah, he's even still ever so slightly proud of 0 as it stands, despite him only assuming the role of planner (he contributed heavily to Billy's creation apparently).

I believe he decided on the fact that he was a convict and had a Queen song tattoo. Not that there's much else to Billy's character. The tattoo got changed, to the artist's chagrin.

Initially 0 didn't even use Rebecca, just two punk rockers.

Jawmuncher

I believe he decided on the fact that he was a convict and had a Queen song tattoo. Not that there's much else to Billy's character. The tattoo got changed, to the artist's chagrin.

Initially 0 didn't even use Rebecca, just two punk rockers.

Hmm I think adding Rebecca was a good call. Though two punks would have been interesting.

Akibared

It's a shame the RE theme's were pre-order only. Actually just in general I don't like that exclusivity tactic. Let me buy it even if it's marked up.

Yeah I agree with that I understand making it limited time but put it up for sale for anyone who wants it.

Lernaean

Banned
Great OT.
Checked before i left for work and it still hasn't unlocked (Steam EU). Hope it has when i'm back. It's preloaded and ready to go - Bring it ON!

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Great OT.
Checked before i left for work and it still hasn't unlocked (Steam EU). Hope it has when i'm back. It's preloaded and ready to go - Bring it ON!

While no official release time is known, if it follows what REmake HD did when it unlocked, it should unlock in a couple hours from now.

Lernaean

Banned
While no official release time is known, if it follows what REmake HD did when it unlocked, it should unlock in a couple hours from now.

Sounds good, thanks.

Your welcome and yes, it's a shame. I got it just to have both games on physical but it's disappointing that they went the absolute bare bones route with this physical release.

I didn't expect anything better sadly. I will buy the JP PS4 version at some point (you know, for the old collection), but I think i did the right thing going PC for this one.

I'm still only at the beginning but it looks damn good no matter the scores it's getting.

Zero is not bad. It just gets compared with REmake a lot, and that doesn't help it.

Neff

Hmm I think adding Rebecca was a good call. Though two punks would have been interesting.

npzicL.gif

Whatta day

It's not obtuse, you just have to think as you do it.
It's basically a counting puzzle.

But after playing with it once and then realizing what it wanted (wasn't paying close attention) I was low on time, and then you've got to do it again with Rebecca - so
train crashed
and my save is pretty far back now. It's not that it's hard - it's just for a game ending, timed puzzle, it's pretty out of the blue.

I dunno - you just really feel the absence of Mikami as director here. The whole train segment is just painfully moving and back and forth across the same narrow cars - I realize it's hard to do a train, but it's something a better director would have said, "well if it's turning out like this, maybe it's not a viable scenario"

Edit; apologies to anyone who saw a spoiler pre edit, caught it pretty quick but still :|

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
But after playing with it once and then realizing what it wanted (wasn't paying close attention) I was low on time, and then you've got to do it again with Rebecca - so
train crashed
and my save is pretty far back now. It's not that it's hard - it's just for a game ending, timed puzzle, it's pretty out of the blue.

I dunno - you just really feel the absence of Mikami as director here. The whole train segment is just painfully moving and back and forth across the same narrow cars - I realize it's hard to do a train, but it's something a better director would have said, "well if it's turning out like this, maybe it's not a viable scenario"

Edit; apologies to anyone who saw a spoiler pre edit, caught it pretty quick but still :|

It's fine, time limits can cause stress and trouble in the middle. And oh dear on the save file thing though, those situations aren't fun sometimes.

Though I'll be curious if this is your first time playing what you'll think once you get off the train. I think most people will agree, whether in a positive or negative light, that the game changes up quite a bit once you get off the train.

Speaking of which, is there a good place to find REmaster mods? I was hoping to find a texture pack, although I don't know if modders have the tools for that kind of overhaul.

http://residentevilmodding.boards.net/

It's fine, time limits can cause stress and trouble in the middle. And oh dear on the save file thing though, those situations aren't fun sometimes.

Though I'll be curious if this is your first time playing what you'll think once you get off the train. I think most people will agree, whether in a positive or negative light, that the game changes up quite a bit once you get off the train.

http://residentevilmodding.boards.net/

Nah I played it when it originally released and thought it was mediocre then too. I honesty just wanted to support capcom' recent enthusiasm for classic RE. I love how the game looks, but it's soooo underwhelming coming off remake.

Anyway, I won't Shit up the thread with that, apologies.

Mengetsu

Omg...all the control options and there's not one to put Square to run?! This is gonna kill me. I had to switch to Type E so I wouldn't keep going into the menu because it's instinct to press square from REmake...

And no L2/R2 to aim and shoot -___-

Daigoro

sucks about the control options. i assume they are this way on XBONE as well? at least you can remap the buttons there, right? :/

cmon Cap.

-MD-

Omg...all the control options and there's not one to put Square to run?! This is gonna kill me. I had to switch to Type E so I wouldn't keep going into the menu because it's instinct to press square from REmake...

And no L2/R2 to aim and shoot -___-

The control options for this game are terrible...

I just took a look for myself and there's nothing in RE0 that resembles the "original B" controls in REmake either, that's disappointing as that's what I use.

Top Bottom