• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7: Beginning Hour demo now on PC [Steam]

SURGEdude

oh well, looks like SOME people wont play a DEMO cause of denuvo. i may understand the full game, but not a demo. its free. anyways, denuvo has made me buy games and i do not regret it one bit, in fact, ive bought more games than ever now that denuvo is in.

I don't think anybody was referring to not playing the free demo because of DRM. Since Denuvo doesn't install shit like securom I have no problem issue with temporarily letting a protected bit of free stuff sit on my drive.

I do hope for Capcom's sake they don't have a per unit licensing fee for it though.

Spinky

*SIGH*

d01f9239793179d56dbdb5ab533ddde4621141ec_hq.gif

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Demo's still not available to download? WTF Capcom, I wanted to get it. :/

SomTervo

Depends. If it's just an config txt file shouldn't make a difference. If it involves actually modifying the data or exe then it'd be a no go.

I'm not entirely convinced it's actually in there waiting to be activated though.

I imagine it would be more work to manually extricate it from the game's code than it would be to lock it behind DRM. Chances are the PC branch and console branches are closely related and VR will be intrinsically built into that.

I'm thinking of titles like Alien: Isolation where right there in the configs was a setting just like 'VR on/off'.

It's an anti-tamper, which means it makes it harder to analyze and modify the executable. It wouldn't be out of the ordinary the devs instead of removing it, just locked it out because it's easier and less messy.

Right. Yes, the bolded is what I was thinking.

Right. That was my point. Why is it ok as long as you don't spend your money? Shouldn't you respectfully decline? I probably won't be day1'ing RE7 based on how I feel about gameplay mechanics and design choices. I'm not sure this will be the RE series I love. If it's a great new fresh take, hey, that's awesome! I'll be waiting for reviews and the opinions of those here on GAF that also love the older RE games.
Why wouldn't it be OK?

Who would say "Thanks for the game buddy, but you just wasted $60 because I refuse to play this because DRM" to their friend? It's not a reasonable priority, and I doubt it would ever happen.

BraXzy

I've only loosely followed RE7 but I remember awhile back opinions seemed negative, recently people seem impressed and hyped? Should I have this on my radar? I'll grab the demo when I can.

jediyoshi

Why wouldn't it be OK?

Who would say "Thanks for the game buddy, but you just wasted $60 because I refuse to play this because DRM" to their friend? It's not a reasonable priority, and I doubt it would ever happen.

Why?

You're not pointing out your reasoning in either direction. You're saying their statement is arbitrary and then just repeating the opposite stance.

Jawmuncher

I've only loosely followed RE7 but I remember awhile back opinions seemed negative, recently people seem impressed and hyped? Should I have this on my radar? I'll grab the demo when I can.

The original demo on PSN was a part of the full of demo. Now the entire demo is accessible. Which is what led to a lot of the negative original impressions. If you wanted more than knowing capcom was trying for scares, the demo didn't offer much in it's original state.

The game is still rather divided, since a lot of people want different things from RE. But the reception from press has been very positive. If you are interested in in a slower, scarier game that is taking some inspiration from the earlier titles. You probably want it on your radar.

Did the demo on PS4 unlock an item for the final game like with this one? Also it seems this demo isn't compatible with VR unlike the PS4 demo.

Did the demo on PS4 unlock an item for the final game like with this one? Also it seems this demo isn't compatible with VR unlike the PS4 demo.

Yep it does.

And nope, the PC demo will likely not be VR compatible until the PSVR exclusivity period runs out, which I believe is for one year. After that, Capcom may release the update for the game on PC, but it's hard to say yet whether they will update the demo again for VR.

I think they will, but it will be a while.

All the demos should have the item AFAIK.

And PSVR exclusive for some amount of time

Yep it does.

And nope, the PC demo will likely not be VR compatible until the PSVR exclusivity period runs out, which I believe is for one year. After that, Capcom may release the update for the game on PC, but it's hard to say yet whether they will update the demo again for VR.

I think they will, but it will be a while.

Thanks for the answer. So it should be the exact complete demo like on PS4 after the third update which added another area right?

truongt

Neo Member
Is anyone going to play in VR or normal game play. I am trying to determine whether I should play the game in VR or just play in a normal game format.

Parsnip

I guess I will give it a go after it becomes available. Still completely undecided on the actual game, not a big fan of the shift to first person, at least on paper. Maybe I'll love the demo and that seals it though.

Categorizing the app as "Demo" unfortunately wouldn't work since the app no longer becomes accessible once you own the full game.

Does that mean the demo will be removed once the game is released (thus missing to obtain the item) or only when getting the full game? If so, we need to be careful and finish the demo before owning the full game.

Does that mean the demo will be removed once the game is released (thus missing to obtain the item) or only when getting the full game? If so, we need to be careful and finish the demo before owning the full game.

I believe he meant that the demo app becomes inaccessible once the full game is up (for people who own it)

Coldsun

Banned
Hmm. That still sucks for those who don't know about the item the demo unlocks. They may miss it if they directly get the game without playing the demo.

Not really. They're not labeling it as a demo inside the steam system. Therefore, the restriction that you can't have the demo and the full app on one account will not be a factor because.. well... steam won't be seeing this as a 'demo'.

Glad I'm not the only one that can't download it. I want to see how well it will run on my PC to decide which platform to get it on, PS4 or PC.

Not really. They're not labeling it as a demo inside the steam system. Therefore, the restriction that you can't have the demo and the full app on one account will not be a factor because.. well... steam won't be seeing this as a 'demo'.

Then, on the main game store page, they should notify buyers to play the demo to unlock the item before buying the full game.

Hmm. That still sucks for those who don't know about the item the demo unlocks. They may miss it if they directly get the game without playing the demo.

The item that unlocks is basically a unit of currency in the base game that lets you upgrade weapons or health.. it's not as if completing the demo's riddle will unlock something exclusive. It's basically just one more of something that you will find naturally throughout the real game. So it's basically getting that upgrade a bit sooner.

At least that's how I believe it works.

Coldsun

Banned
Then, on the main game store page, they should notify buyers to play the demo to unlock the item before buying the full game.

Not really. It isn't a super exclusive item or anything incredibly game-altering. Telling people to play a demo prior to the game may be a hindrance for some. It would simply add confusion for people. What is the item? Do I need it? Why is it a separate download? Etc...

All for an item which isn't really that important.

Jawmuncher

Not really. It isn't a super exclusive item or anything incredibly game-altering. Telling people to play a demo prior to the game may be a hindrance for some. It would simply add confusion for people. What is the item? Do I need it? Why is it a separate download? Etc...

All for an item which isn't really that important.
We don't know what the item is. But yeah it's probably nothing too crazy. Perhaps just early access to an upgrade.

Since while coins are used for currency in the store, we don't know specifically how coins work. You get a infected coin, so it's possible the coin can only be used on something specific.

Just tried and nothing happens when i click 'free to play'.
Normally the installation location should pop up but nothing happens.
Well probably gonna be available few hours later.
Just wanna try it to check how better my rig shows them graphics compared to ps4.

Coldsun

Banned
Very true. We don't know what the item does. However, if it really does end up being something huge, people will simply write a cheat to make the game think you have it. No big deal.

Brhoom

Banned
Oooo I'm so excited to play this demo again on PC, last time I was this excited for a demo was when Resident Evil 5 demo was released.

Gasian

Potentially adding to the issue is Valve is not currently in office to assist.
The real question is Valve ever in the office to assist? :p

Hopefully it is fixed soon for people who want to play. I wanted to check it out to on PC to see how it runs on my rig. From the amount of options the game seems to give you from the demo screens the OP posted, I would hope that the final version of the game is a great port. Guess we will all have to wait and see...

Hawk269

No VR for at least a year on PC thanks to PSVR exclusivity.

That Sucks! I did not try the newer demo with PSVR, but I played the kitchen one and the IQ was horrid on the PSVR, I mean one of the worst PSVR IQ I have seen..for them to lock it to the PSVR really blows. For the players!!! Fucking Sony.

Why wouldn't it be OK?

The guy that stands by his morals regardless of the scenario presented, I guess? Maybe that guy would turn it down? Otherwise, hypocrite.

It's a brand new game. The friend can return it/refund it

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Here's the explanation so far:

31360880080_c77dda8055_o.png

It looks like Capcom had Valve change the Free on Demand sub to Unavailable a week-and-a-half ago, presumably due to a misunderstanding that people would otherwise be able to install the demo early, but forgot to have said change reverted in time for the demo's release.

Skab

That Sucks! I did not try the newer demo with PSVR, but I played the kitchen one and the IQ was horrid on the PSVR, I mean one of the worst PSVR IQ I have seen..for them to lock it to the PSVR really blows. For the players!!! Fucking Sony.

The Kitchen demo is over a year and a half hold. The actual RE7 demos VR was much better.

Top Bottom