• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 - Early Impressions Thread (MARK SPOILERS!!)

Bastos

Aside from what's unconfirmed and the faster/stronger enemies, it seems like Madhouse is basically the classic RE experience. I can't wait 9 days.
Yep, these new "characteristics" from enemies sound just like having the chance to be insta-killed by Hunter attacks from RE1, etc.

I don't watch the stream but I have a question.

Are you constantly being chased by an enemy in this game? The answer needs spoiler tags of course ;)

I don't like these kind of games because you don't have enough time to explore the environment

Jawmuncher

Are you constantly being chased by an enemy in this game? The answer needs spoiler tags of course ;)

I don't like these kind of games because you don't have enough time to explore the environment

It's not constant, but it does happen.

Truant

I second this question. I know this is a horror game, but I'd really like to be able to take down the enemies in such a way that I can explore and look for loot. I know the Bakers are unkillable, but it would be nice if you could incapacitate them until the next scripted encounter or whatever. If they go down for like 2 minutes at the time, that would just be a waste of resources.

HiiiLife

Damn I dunno if I should jump into Normal or Madhouse then. I don't like handholding but I don't like getting fucked from all angles either.

Astral

It's hard to tell from the stream whether they're down until the next encounter or if it's based on a timer. If it's on a timer I hope it's at least a while.

strafer

Madhouse Mode is the game's hardest difficulty, but it does a number of differences.

Here's how I understand it at this point:

Casual (which I guess is the difficulty whoever the guy is that most GAF'ers are watching on stream):
-Frequent Checkpoints.
-High Regenerating Health (regenerates about a third to a half of your health back, plus regenerates a lot faster).
-Much slower enemies with less frequent attacks and dumber AI
-Less damage from enemy attacks
-Can save at Cassette Recorders whenever you want.

Normal:
-Moderate Checkpoints.
-Moderate Regenerating Health (regenerates a fifth to a fourth of your health back, but a bigger pause in regeneration and much slower than on Casual).
-Normal Speed enemies with Normal attacks (moves over twice as fast than Casual I hear) with more intelligent tracking AI.
-Normal damage from enemy attacks.

Madhouse:
-No Checkpoints.
-No Regenerating Health.
-Faster Enemies with Special Attacks (may be able to do more deadly moves) with much smarter AI that are far harder to lose.
-Higher damage from enemy attacks.
-Cassette Recorders can only be saved at if you find a cassette tape, a new item exclusive to Madhouse which takes up inventory space and there's finite of. Basically Typewriters and Ink Ribbons from past games.
-Unconfirmed, but may be some special traps, enemies, and elements you need to survive as well not in other difficulties.

Should have that Mirukuru mode from The Evil Within.

Juno

LIAR and a FELON
Someone posted an opening/unboxing of the base game and I was trying to see the requirements but he doesn't let the camera focus...

Also looks like nothing online so no Leaderboards, etc. :/

c66ghVL.png

Jawmuncher

Someone posted an opening/unboxing of the base game and I was trying to see the requirements but he doesn't let the camera focus...

Also looks like nothing online so no Leaderboards, etc. :/

c66ghVL.png

Sounds like no Re.net features then.
Why did capcom even make RE.net if they're barely gonna support it.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I second this question. I know this is a horror game, but I'd really like to be able to take down the enemies in such a way that I can explore and look for loot. I know the Bakers are unkillable, but it would be nice if you could incapacitate them until the next scripted encounter or whatever. If they go down for like 2 minutes at the time, that would just be a waste of resources.
Looks like they stay down for around two minutes yeah. But it's not like the Bakers home in on you , or anything. In all the streams so far, they appear to wander randomly, and the players lose them fairly easily by darting around a few rooms. It's pretty common to see Jack super far away, while he's exploring himself in a place far away from you.

After the first boss fight Jack is gone for pretty long time, and I think the only scripted moment so far is when he returns, with a new look and weapon.

Juno

LIAR and a FELON
Yeah, I kind of thought having people upload their complete times/difficulty would be included, but wouldn't have been too hard to add.

RedSnake

ugh... second time I've entered the spoiler thread by mistake thank god I've got specific words censored just in case.

So, people are streaming this so I guess I'm out of here as well.
8/9 days left... can't fucking wait!

Gren

Was hoping to find impressions on the PC version here, but I guess it's still too soon.

Looking forward to this. I only kept the demo installed because of whatever bonus item it's supposed to confer onto the final game (and I can't tell where it stores the save data), but I still find myself playing through it every now & again. Totally ready for another RE.

It's not constant, but it does happen.

It's hard to tell from the stream whether they're down until the next encounter or if it's based on a timer. If it's on a timer I hope it's at least a while.

Looks like they stay down for around two minutes yeah. But it's not like the Bakers home in on you , or anything. In all the streams so far, they appear to wander randomly, and the players lose them fairly easily by darting around a few rooms. It's pretty common to see Jack super far away, while he's exploring himself in a place far away from you.

After the first boss fight Jack is gone for pretty long time, and I think the only scripted moment so far is when he returns, with a new look and weapon.

Thanks. I don't think I will like this game then :/
It's a concept I don't find interesting at all. Just annoying.

cheez124

this is what i'm afraid of as well. there was one short video capcom released that had the player killing jack after taking a huge beating, and he gets up only 15 seconds later. the player was only able to limp like 5 feet away from him before he woke up again. if they're gonna get up that quickly, then there's really no incentive to waste your ammo on them

Truant

Thanks. It doesn't seem that bad. I get really stressed out by having unkillable enemies in these types of games, so I hope it's not too intense. I hated the regenerating enemies in Dead Space for this reason.

Astral

I found Nemesis EXTREMELY annoying but I enjoyed Alien Isolation for example so I hope the Bakers don't annoy me too much.

this is what i'm afraid of as well. there was one short video capcom released that had the player killing jack after taking a huge beating, and he gets up only 15 seconds later. the player was only able to limp like 5 feet away from him before he woke up again. if they're gonna get up that quickly, then there's really no incentive to waste your ammo on them

I was wondering if that may have been Madhouse mode. Seemed too quick for a default mode.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
tone spoiler:
so i guess resident evil became evil dead in terms of the tone of approach it takes

im ok with this kind of twist vs old games because that is still within the spirit of equal parts campy and horror that RE inspires even if the setting's tone is different from previous more 'alien/aliens' kinda competent action hero stuff

I'm okay with EVERYTHING you wrote here.

Waiting patiently for my key to arrive in my email :/

No it's not. Ethan opened a door to a basement and you could hear someone feigning. Then you see Mia climbing the stairs completely possessed and hitting you with a knife that she stabs in your hand. Then she kind of speak about an higher entity like "mother" in a schyzo way, anyways she is in a semi aware state, she's trying to resist to kill you and then she start to blow her head on the wall till she pass out. Pretty hardcore stuff I like that.

Yes it's there, even in the demo. 4k is also supported.

Gotcha. Do you think this is some
late game stuff or early in the game

Asked in the spoiler thread (but then I bailed because people are posting endgame-looking pics now): Any evidence of enemy variety outside of the Bakers, the Molded and random bugs that we've seen in demos/previews?

Rean

Madhouse Mode is the game's hardest difficulty, but it does a number of differences.

Madhouse:
-No Checkpoints.
-No Regenerating Health.
-Faster Enemies with Special Attacks (may be able to do more deadly moves) with much smarter AI that are far harder to lose.
-Cassette Recorders can only be saved at if you find a cassette tape, a new item exclusive to Madhouse which takes up inventory space and there's finite of. Basically Typewriters and Ink Ribbons from past games.
-Unconfirmed, but may be some special traps, enemies, and elements you need to survive as well not in other difficulties.
This mode is exactly what I want. I'll probably do my first playthrough on this mode.

Cmagus

Since I'm avoiding spoilers I guess I'll ask if there are any sections that are like the RE7 demo where you have to figure out cryptic stuff or is it pretty straight forward?

Astral

Since I'm avoiding spoilers I guess I'll ask if there are any sections that are like the RE7 demo where you have to figure out cryptic stuff or is it pretty straight forward?

It looks pretty straight forward. Encounter a door that has three missing parts, examine items, rotate them, etc. I believe they already said the main game won't have any cryptic shit.

fart town usa

Gold Member

Madhouse:
-No Checkpoints.
-No Regenerating Health.

QONVIyz.gif

Currently sailing at half mast.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Man, I just want to buy a quarter ounce of weed and just binge this game when it releases.

So friggin excited.

Sadly I don't have a PS4 but my buddy does. This is the same friend who I played RE, RE2, Nemesis, Code Veronica, and REmake with back in middle school and high school. We have plans to binge play RE7 the weekend after it's released.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Here's some non-spoiler impressions:

When Capcom revealed RE7 at last year's E3 2016, the reactions were mixed. I was one of the fans who supported the idea of the gameplay style being shifted from third-person to first-person. Today I beat the game for the first time and in VR mode, too. The game took me 9 hours and 5 minutes to beat in Normal mode, a pretty good length for a main Resident Evil game. But of course I'm here to tell you whether the game is worth the wait or not.

If you love RE Remake, then you will absolutely love and enjoy RE7 even more. Now don't compare this game to RE4 or even RE2 when it comes to number of contents in the campaign but RE7 does contain some interesting enemies and boss fights. One of the boss fights felt like
fighting against Salazar from RE4
. The game featured some interesting puzzles but they felt simpler than RE Remake's. RE7 is the goriest RE game and the second goriest RE game I can think of is RE4. Now keep in mind that I beat this game fully in VR, never even tried the normal mode to see how different the gunplay is from VR mode. In VR mode, aiming at enemies was super easy.

Speaking of VR, the visuals in VR mode were beautiful, clean and smooth. Kitchen demo in VR looked terrible, well, not really but if you recently played the Beginning Hour demo in VR and compare it to the Kitchen demo, then you'll know exactly what I mean. The sound design for the game was amazing but when it comes to soundtrack, most of them were unmemorable and forgettable. Most of the soundtracks are ambient, yes, but remember how memorable the ones in both RE Original and Remake are? In RE7, I don't remember any tracks but ”Go Tell Aunt Rhody" and its save theme song.

Now, is the game scary? If you find RE Remake scary, then I can safely say that it's on the same level, maybe a little less but still scary. There were moments where I panicked a lot and it was a lot of fun...in VR.

What about the story? Well, since this is a quick spoiler-free review, all I can say is that the story is very brand new, didn't felt like a Resident Evil story, but I really, really enjoyed the story, though the ending did left me confused.

Overall, RE7 is a fantastic Resident Evil game. The story was brand new, the visuals were beautiful (especially in VR), the sound design was great but most of the musical tracks are forgettable. I really advice you all to NOT spoil yourselves, please do wait for the game to arrive on 24th January, avoid livestreams at Twitch or YouTube. Capcom really put a lot of effort into this game and I say well done! Like Undertale, it is a game you need to experience for yourselves.
Resident Evil 7 (VR) gets an 8.9/10.

15877336_1393800997319558_3706444716456280064_n.jpg

There should be more coming as well.

Lucent

9 hours and 5 minutes? Hmm...Wonder how much he did and explored/examined. I'm definitely doing Madhouse now.

Casual (which I guess is the difficulty whoever the guy is that most GAF'ers are watching on stream):
-Frequent Checkpoints.
-High Regenerating Health (regenerates about a third to a half of your health back, plus regenerates a lot faster).
-Much slower enemies with less frequent attacks and dumber AI
-Less damage from enemy attacks

Normal:
-Moderate Checkpoints.
-Moderate Regenerating Health (regenerates a fifth to a fourth of your health back, but a bigger pause in regeneration and much slower than on Casual).
-Normal Speed enemies with Normal attacks (moves over twice as fast than Casual I hear) with more intelligent tracking AI.
-Normal damage from enemy attacks.

Madhouse:
-No Checkpoints.
-No Regenerating Health.

This seems really cool and good on them for making a lot of people happy.

gconsole

Here's some non-spoiler impressions:

There should be more coming as well.

Thx for the post. Nice impression but it doesnt really get into any detail ( even if it is spoiler free ). It is really hard to tell what the game really is reading from that. The game must not be scary at all if playing in VR and it is still as scary as REmake ( which to me is not that scary ).

cripterion

Confused about the "it does not feel like a RE game, but it's a fantastic RE game". part in that review.

Just my guess but feels like RE : it has mansion, jump scares, B.O.W's, a bit of cheesy dialog, herbs, cryptic puzzles, weird ass objects to open doors, map layout, inventory management, tension.

While at the same time not feeling like an RE game : First person, Bakers all over the place, different characters, non badass protagonist, etc...

From the streams I've seen I quite like it but
I've see no sign of zombies in this game and the Bakers are omni present, I thought we would deal with them for 1/3 of the game but looks like these fuckers are spread over the game and coming back in different mutation to be bosses

Top Bottom