• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 - Early Impressions Thread (MARK SPOILERS!!)

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
My friend will get his copy on Saturday morning.

I'll post some impressions on Sunday.

Of course is appreciated. I'll try to post any impressions I know are legit here too, but as I have it pre-ordered on Steam there's no way I'm getting the game early.

SomTervo

How is less replay value better for a game?
You don't have to use the unlockables if you don't want.

Unlockables do not necessarily = more replay value.

Some of the games I've replayed the most (e.g. The Last of Us, Dishonored) have no unlockables. Good gameplay and design, with lots of depth and detail in every playthrough, is often its own reward.

Dusk Golem

Doesn't anyone know if there's a new game plus? I'm guessing there is since it has upgrades.

I don't know 100% myself but I'd be surprised if there wasn't. AI am almost 100% sure there is though, as the game has
unlockable weapons and an unlockable option for infinite ammo.

Astral

I don't know 100% myself but I'd be surprised if there wasn't. AI am almost 100% sure there is though, as the game has
unlockable weapons and an unlockable option for infinite ammo.

Here's hoping the upgrade system isn't shitty. RE4 had the best weapons and upgrades in the series imo. RE5 was pretty good about it too from what I remember but RE6 really dropped the ball.

gagecube

Banned
depends on how you like your spiders, they're more minion-like in this game, almost tiny and swarm like where you can take out a whole bunch with a swipe of a knife.
Marguerite commands them as she does with the wasps, but there are usually nests of them in the greenhouse level.

I just want to know why they included the product codes for Resident Evil 3: Nemesis with the Dino Crisis demo and Resident Evil 2 with the Director's cut demo in the VHS Preview tapes a few months back, had a lot of people thinking they'd include a REmake 2 demo with the game.
This is the info I've been looking for. I'm scared to death of like GIANT spiders in video games, but I'm feeling like I can deal with tiny swarms

Unlockables do not necessarily = more replay value.

Some of the games I've replayed the most (e.g. The Last of Us, Dishonored) have no unlockables. Good gameplay and design, with lots of depth and detail in every playthrough, is often its own reward.

That's true. But new weapons, new costumes (for the Baker family, lol) or even small new areas would be amazing.

strafer

Oh man, I completely forgot about the reviews, I do wonder how this game will review.

If I had to guess

IGN - 8.5

Gamespot - 9

GiantBomb - 4

Dusk Golem

Does anyone know when the review embargo ends?

I know review copies have been sent out and a number of places have received them, for the exact embargo I wonder if reviewers have been updated. Someone here on GAF who writes for a publication said less than a week ago they didn't have the exact embargo date, just knew it was before release.

ironcreed

Banned
Here's a better image

Ti9EhgV.jpg

23 GB. Should be a fairly quick download on Xbox One. Speaking of which, is it up yet? I have it pre-ordered, but it was just a placeholder.

Gonna play this with my nice new headphones. If PSVR was in like the $200 range I'd probably have gotten it for this game but lol nope.

Madhouse Mode is the game's hardest difficulty, but it does a number of differences.

Here's how I understand it at this point:

Casual (which I guess is the difficulty whoever the guy is that most GAF'ers are watching on stream):
-Frequent Checkpoints.
-High Regenerating Health (regenerates about a third to a half of your health back, plus regenerates a lot faster).
-Much slower enemies with less frequent attacks and dumber AI
-Less damage from enemy attacks
-Can save at Cassette Recorders whenever you want.

Normal:
-Moderate Checkpoints.
-Moderate Regenerating Health (regenerates a fifth to a fourth of your health back, but a bigger pause in regeneration and much slower than on Casual).
-Normal Speed enemies with Normal attacks (moves over twice as fast than Casual I hear) with more intelligent tracking AI.
-Normal damage from enemy attacks.

Madhouse:
-No Checkpoints.
-No Regenerating Health.
-Faster Enemies with Special Attacks (may be able to do more deadly moves) with much smarter AI that are far harder to lose.
-Higher damage from enemy attacks.
-Cassette Recorders can only be saved at if you find a cassette tape, a new item exclusive to Madhouse which takes up inventory space and there's finite of. Basically Typewriters and Ink Ribbons from past games.
-Unconfirmed, but may be some special traps, enemies, and elements you need to survive as well not in other difficulties.

Thanks for the breakdown.
Is it known if the difficulty can be changed after the game as been started?

me0wish

I played till I got a bit after the dinner table. I wish I could of played more, I plan on finishing the game within the next two days.

My impression:
Oh my god, this game is amazing, character interactions, writing, atmosphere, game play mechanics and animations all feel so perfect, which makes the game feel so intense.

I love Jack's character, he's creepy, intimidating, funny and surprisingly yet weirdly seems to be
caring?
What an awesome character. All characters feel weird (in a good way), and all of them are interesting, I can't wait to play more tomorrow.

My main complaint right now is that the graphics seem inconsistent, some models and textures are low quality. The environment also feels "samey" I can see it getting repetitive after a while, but that's maybe because
the starting area is the demo area.

The best thing about the game is that it doesn't feel like Resident Evil, It does not play like Resident Evil, it does not look or sound like Resident Evil. The way the game portrays the characters and their relationship with the player is definitely not Resident Evil, The game feels much more than what a "Resident Evil game" could ever offer, the Resident Evil branding feels tacked on and it hurts the game IMHO.

If you have any questions I'd gladly answer.

I played till I got a bit after the dinner table. I wish I could of played more, I plan on finishing the game within the next two days.

My impression:
Oh my god, this game is amazing, character interactions, writing, atmosphere, game play mechanics and animations all feel so perfect, which makes the game feel so intense.

I love Jack's character, he's creepy, intimidating, funny and surprisingly yet weirdly seems to be
caring?
What an awesome character. All characters feel weird (in a good way), and all of them are interesting, I can't wait to play more tomorrow.

My main complaint right now is that the graphics seem inconsistent, some models and textures are low quality. The environment also feels "samey" I can see it getting repetitive after a while, but that's maybe because

The best thing about the game is that it doesn't feel like Resident Evil, It does not play like Resident Evil, it does not look or sound like Resident Evil. The way the game portrays the characters and their relationship with the player is definitely not Resident Evil, The game feels much more than what a "Resident Evil game" could ever offer, the Resident Evil branding feels tacked on and it hurts the game IMHO.

How many hours have you played so far?

-MD-

Madhouse Mode is the game's hardest difficulty, but it does a number of differences.

Here's how I understand it at this point:

Casual (which I guess is the difficulty whoever the guy is that most GAF'ers are watching on stream):
-Frequent Checkpoints.
-High Regenerating Health (regenerates about a third to a half of your health back, plus regenerates a lot faster).
-Much slower enemies with less frequent attacks and dumber AI
-Less damage from enemy attacks

Normal:
-Moderate Checkpoints.
-Moderate Regenerating Health (regenerates a fifth to a fourth of your health back, but a bigger pause in regeneration and much slower than on Casual).
-Normal Speed enemies with Normal attacks (moves over twice as fast than Casual I hear) with more intelligent tracking AI.
-Normal damage from enemy attacks.

Madhouse:
-No Checkpoints.
-No Regenerating Health.
-Faster Enemies with Special Attacks (may be able to do more deadly moves) with much smarter AI that are far harder to lose.
-Higher damage from enemy attacks.
-Cassette Recorders can only be saved at if you find a cassette tape, a new item exclusive to Madhouse which takes up inventory space and there's finite of. Basically Typewriters and Ink Ribbons from past games.
-Unconfirmed, but may be some special traps, enemies, and elements you need to survive as well not in other difficulties.

Madhouse it is.

liquidtmd

Banned
Have ordered from Smythstoys for PS4 @ £37.99

They sent and I received Skyrim exactly on launch day. Praying for at least that, or they get their work experience on shift and the just go mental on Friday and send it first class.

Erebus

My impression:

caring?

I don't like this and I hope you're wrong, though it is expected after everything I've seen of the game regardless of some people saying otherwise.

My impression:

caring?

fuck this.

not at all what I want to hear. I am die hard RE1-4 fan.

God I'm so hyped for this game.

Ordered it a week ago and Amazon said it won't arrive til Feb 4. Do I really have to do two day shipping to get the game on time?!

me0wish

I don't like this and I hope you're wrong, though it is expected after everything I've seen of the game regardless of some people saying otherwise.

I've seen people saying otherwise, but honestly, the only thing I felt being "Resident Evil" about it, is the survival horror nature of the game.

fuck this.

not at all what I want to hear. I am die hard RE1-4 fan.

I'm a die hard RE1-4 fan and I'm really loving the direction they're taking it with this one. The demo gives a very good feel of how the game would play. There are parts of the game that were so amazingly done that I thought they were cutscenes, but they were actually game play segments, it was thrilling, the game felt so refreshing and intense.

I'm sure I'll play Madhouse for the probable trophies, but I don't want my first time through it to be potentially aggravating.

Game looks very much like RE to me from what i've seen. Maybe not so much in the story department with it being pretty self contained but the campyness and the game play is very reminiscent of RE1.

Yeah everything I hear about Madhouse sounds more frustrating than fun. I like to be given a chance :p

I never start anything on the rougher difficulties, I want to enjoy myself and take it in at first which also lets me learn the game and the environments, and then we can talk about more challenge.

me0wish

Game looks very much like RE to me from what i've seen. Maybe not so much in the story department with it being pretty self contained but the campyness and the game play is very reminiscent of RE1.

As I've said earlier, I can only find it reminiscent to RE1 because of the survival horror nature of the game. Some people have said it feels like an old school RE game, but I honestly can't "feel" that, neither can my friends that watched me play almost every RE game.

AAK

Quick question: I haven't touched the RE7 demo since E3. Do you get anything for completing the updated demo like in Nioh?

HeelPower

Does this game have the same kind of replayability as classic RE ?

In terms of mastering complex level design,item management etc ?

I am holding off buying because I am worried about how ''limited'' this game is.

As I've said earlier, I can only find it reminiscent to RE1 because of the survival horror nature of the game, but that's just me, and I've only played an hour. Some people have said it feels like an old school RE game, but I honestly can't "feel" that, neither can my friends that watched me play almost every RE game.

For me as long as it ends up tying into the rest of the lore, I'm down. It seems to have some of the basic staples too, such as the item management and all that bullshit. RE4 didn't feel like RE at all to me and neither did 5 and 6, but 5 at least tied in very well, at least I thought, which could be why I like that one the most of those three. 4 and 6 do tie in, but 4 especially feels like an isolated spinoff. 7 can feel different but if it's a great game and ties into everything that's all I'm really asking for.

I still have no idea if I'm getting this game though I have it on preorder for PS4. I loved RE 1-4. Have 5 but never played the whole thing. 6 looked terrible to me. RE7 reminds me of outlast but I never played the demo

tesqui

I never start anything on the rougher difficulties, I want to enjoy myself and take it in at first which also lets me learn the game and the environments, and then we can talk about more challenge.

Yeah, same. I also can never trust the harder difficulties to be as fair and balanced as the "Normal" setting. Maybe it's fine, but I can't help but think they probably put more time tweaking the normal diff because that's the one the majority of players will play through.

Regardless, every game should've just adopted the dynamic difficulty of RE4.

I'm scared of clicking that spoiler... Is it something worthwhile to receive?

There's no spoiler in the spoiler tag :p

No, seriously. He's just saying that the demo update has a kind of tedious quest and that you'll probably need internet consultation to figure it out.

Kinda like PT. It's a bit cryptic.

me0wish

In terms of mastering complex level design,item management etc ?

I am holding off buying because I am worried about how ''limited'' this game is.

Major early game spoilers,
I don't know if this will reoccur, but at some point in the game, you get your hands chopped off and you are forced to use a pistol, this section was crazy intense as you only have one hand to reload and heal, while being chase by a crazy chainsaw wielding person.
I found this pretty cool mechanic wise so I thought it might interest you, when I saw this I thought the game was anything but "limited".

Item management seems to be there, but based on what I've played so far, I didn't have to deal with it yet.

Now I feel stupid *awkward laugh* :p
Me and my friends are very spoiler sensitive, so I'm just making sure no one gets info spoiled ><"

AAK

No, seriously. He's just saying that the demo update has a kind of tedious quest and that you'll probably need internet consultation to figure it out.

Kinda like PT. It's a bit cryptic.

I see, but is the reward worth it?

Top Bottom