• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 - Early Impressions Thread (MARK SPOILERS!!)

derFeef

Just my guess but feels like RE : it has mansion, jump scares, B.O.W's, a bit of cheesy dialog, herbs, cryptic puzzles, weird ass objects to open doors, map layout, inventory management, tension.

While at the same time not feeling like an RE game : First person, Bakers all over the place, different characters, non badass protagonist, etc...

From the streams I've seen I quite like it but
I've see no sign of zombies in this game and the Bakers are omni present, I thought we would deal with them for 1/3 of the game but looks like these fuckers are spread over the game and coming back in different mutation to be bosses

Yeah that worries me too...

USF

Someone posted an opening/unboxing of the base game and I was trying to see the requirements but he doesn't let the camera focus...

Also looks like nothing online so no Leaderboards, etc. :/

c66ghVL.png

Here's a better image

Ti9EhgV.jpg

I mean, I'm not watching the stream. But something I found interesting is that some of the peeps who worked on Haunting Ground worked on this game, many of them hadn't worked on a horror game since Haunting Ground, so that's promising.

Woah. Haunting Ground is ridiculous, but as a game, it's really good.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Here's some more impressions from a RE fans on RE7 (who had spoilery proof they played the game, but the review contains no spoilers), though also should mention English is not their first language (from the Middle East):

So i got to play Resident Evil 7 and wow ! I can say this is actually the Resident Evil game I've been waiting for all these years. Despite the mix reviews for 5 & 6 (being having the most negatives than positives). Seems as if Capcom has been playing close attention to figuring out how to make this game right.. I felt like the REmake & RE0 Remaster was like a test to see how gamers today would respond and of course it brought us back home to the originality of Resident Evil. And now we have RE7. Now i will say this, i personally did not like Ethan's Voice.. It felt emotionless. When you are put into tough situation his voice isn't convincing enough to make you feel the struggle or what not. But the gameplay itself still leaves you on the tip of your toes. Jack Baker legit is one of my favorite villains of the game.. His character works so well and is filled with 100's of different dialogues as he chases you down. Without spoiling the game is filled with Easter Eggs & Honorable Mentions of Previous RE title to prove itself to be canon. I can say this.. The ending was surprising and made me think alot especially being that in the Resident Evil Universe ANYTHING can happen. Capcom you guys did a great job ! Although there was some stuff i was hoping you guys would add hopefully it could be done in the next one. Yes the game does have Moral Choices but personally i don't feel like they are as Strong as i hoped for them to be. Boss battles are FUN !!! If you guys are a huge fan of REmake you guys will def enjoy this. (please do not expect this to be a game where in every room your gonna go gun blazing because your not). The puzzles in this game we're good but kind of weak compared to REmake. But then again its okay kind of made it easy on the one's who are New to the Franchise.. I WILL SAY THIS !! The Final Boss fight was a bit of a let down in a sense the reveal was awesome but.. i felt it was the shortest out of all. Other than that i can honestly say this is legit my 2nd favorite Resident Evil game next to REmake. Score: 8/10
Pros: Graphics / Story / Suspense / Everything Is 1st Person (even Cut Scenes) / Surprise Character Revealed / Plot Twist
Cons: Ethans Voice Acting was Weak / Plot Holes (maybe answered in upcoming DLC) / Final Boss Fight / Weak Moral Choices / the Smallest Amount of Enemies in RE History.

Orpheum

All of this sounds amazing. Madhouse Mode will be played day one! I didn't follow any media coverage to go in as blind as possible, couldn't resist going into this thread.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Yes it's there, even in the demo. 4k is also supported.
Two more mucho badass reasons I can't wait for this, So NOBODY has this on PC yet, right? If by some miracle they do, does turning on HDR activate HDR mode on your TV? The PC demo version NEVER did on mine, and I read a lot of people complain of that.

cheez124

Here's some more impressions from a RE fans on RE7 (who had spoilery proof they played the game, but the review contains no spoilers), though also should mention English is not their first language (from the Middle East):
"the Smallest Amount of Enemies in RE History"

well, that confirms one of my biggest fears...i'm not really feeling the bakers from the leaked vids i've seen, and i was hoping there would be a lot of other enemies to make up for them. kinda disappointed right now

Dusk Golem

"the Smallest Amount of Enemies in RE History"

well, that confirms one of my biggest fears...i'm not really feeling the bakers from the leaked vids i've seen, and i was hoping there would be a good amount of other enemies to make up for them. pretty disappointed right now

I haven't been looking at a lot of the spoiler stuff, but here's what I know enemy wise. Capcom said forever ago this would be fewer but more personalized enemies.

There are basically six types of enemies as I know it:

-Humanoid: These are the Bakers, the ones shown commonly are Jack and Marguerite. Know of three types of enemies like this at this point.
-Insectorid: There are various insect enemies in the third location of the game, the ones I know of are Spiders, Wasps, & Centipedes.
-Molded: These are the enemies that grow out of walls, have different variations of each type and can be dismembered and killed, Know of at least four different types of Molded at this point.

^Now the above is more well known, if you've been following previews you probably know of these three types existence.

These next three are a more spoilery, so read at your own risk if you want to know how enemy variety as I know it goes down in this game:

-Mutations. Most of the Bakers go through rabid mutations. I hear they're pretty creepy but haven't seen them myself. I know in the datamine that Jack was said to transform into a
centipede
thing, and Marguiette into some sort of
long-limbed
entity.
-E-1001, which is an enemy mentioned in the soundtrack and files. I don't know how it works but I know you get a radar for it, so I assume it might be invisible or does something where you need to track it.
-Colossus, I don't know much about it except its existence.

That's what I know of at least. There's more enemies than most horror games, but less than your typical RE game. And there's probably some I don't know about as I've been avoiding spoilers.

Juno

LIAR and a FELON
Here's a better image

Ti9EhgV.jpg

Thanks for posting!

The pebble thing stumped me too, guessing the one Ethan wears is based on the design perhaps?

Just on another note, has there been anymore clarification on how the cut scenes work in VR? I noticed in the demo (when you get the "Welcome to the Family Son" ending) - it didn't always rotate you to Jack to see Jack, so it was kinda borked... which I'm hoping was just because it was an early build.

Raytow

I'm assuming the game is still based in the RE universe but there a no previous characters/villains returning besides a brief mention of them? the game entire location is in the Baker's estate, and has a new MC that has nothing to do with STARS, or the usual good guys right?

Nemesis_

I don't know the full list of unlockables, but there were unlockables in the datamining.

If you want me to list what I know of, I will. But some of the stuff from datamining was unclear what they were exactly.

I remember reading some that you posted but I can't remember where they were. I also find it odd people have finished the game but nobody has discovered that stuff

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Cross-post from the other thread:

I have pretty bad arachnophobia, can anyone tell me if I'm going to have a problem with this game? I haven't read this thread as I am on a RE7 blackout.

hotcyder

The pebble thing stumped me too, guessing the one Ethan wears is based on the design perhaps?

I think you might be right! Looks just like the time.

As a pebble time user however, and from a few early spoilers I've seen, I think they took some liberties with the in-game level of brightness haha

Massaki

Neo Member

I have pretty bad arachnophobia, can anyone tell me if I'm going to have a problem with this game? I haven't read this thread as I am on a RE7 blackout.

depends on how you like your spiders, they're more minion-like in this game, almost tiny and swarm like where you can take out a whole bunch with a swipe of a knife.
Marguerite commands them as she does with the wasps, but there are usually nests of them in the greenhouse level.

I just want to know why they included the product codes for Resident Evil 3: Nemesis with the Dino Crisis demo and Resident Evil 2 with the Director's cut demo in the VHS Preview tapes a few months back, had a lot of people thinking they'd include a REmake 2 demo with the game.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
depends on how you like your spiders, they're more minion-like in this game, almost tiny and swarm like where you can take out a whole bunch with a swipe of a knife.
Marguerite commands them as she does with the wasps, but there are usually nests of them in the greenhouse level.

Whilst that sounds horrifying, it coulda been worse I suppose. Uncharted 3 wasn't too bad so hopefully this won't either. Was worried it would be like REmake.

I haven't been this obsessed with finding out new information about an upcoming game in a very long time... It's actually starting to feel a bit mentally draining - every couple of hours I'm checking here or elsewhere for spoiler-free impressions and various little tidbits of info.

I feel like it'd probably be a better idea to just try and put it out of my mind for the next week and a bit till it comes out, but deep down I know that's probably not going to be easy and may even prove impossible, especially when more impressions are surely imminent.

The two little writeups that were posted here were cool to read, even if what they wrote felt a little vague and gave me the feeling they both probably rushed through the game a bit to be able to be some of the first people getting impressions out there.
Both sounded very positive but each included little things that may potentially be somewhat disappointing, which makes me think it will probably be as divisive a game upon release as it has been in the lead up to its launch, if not moreso...

Whether the impressions are positive or negative though, at the end of the day it's not like I'm going to place too much stock in the views of two people whose location happened to make it possible for them to get the game early. I don't really know how well their tastes line up with my own where RE is concerned, and they didn't go into that much detail (I know one of the guys was writing in english as his second language so don't mean to sound critical or unappreciative!) about things that I would really talk a lot about if I'd played the game from start to finish e.g. atmosphere, how scary it is, how memorable and varied the settings are, and various other more subtle elements of the game than how gory it is etc. Then again I haven't been clicking on any spoilers whatsoever for this, so maybe that stuff was touched upon more and I might have missed it, I guess some of those topics like the setting(s) might be a tad spoilery.

I'm pretty sure this game isn't going to be a 100% "perfect" vision of Resident Evil in my eyes, but am also confident that it will be fucking awesome either way and at this stage am just going to embrace it for what it is and be glad that it even exists in this day and age.

I played the final version of the demo today for the first time as I'd had no access to my PS4 for the last 6 or so weeks, and was pretty impressed - much more than I initially was with the first version. Hopefully the next 8 days go by quickly so the wait isn't too torturous.

SomTervo

So no unlockables, alternate custumes, new modes and such ?

Wow another huge step backwards compared to previous games.

Sometimes less is more. This is clearly a new direction. Every game doesn't need to include every feature previous entries had.

In my opinion no "costumes" is a plus.

From what I've seen and heard, this'll be a pretty rough game for you.

There are tons of random spiders, though none of immense size that I've seen so far. They mostly come in swarms that blanket cabinets/doors you want to access. One preview also mentioned (very minor early-game spoiler)
being thrown into a well filled with spiders and centipedes

So no unlockables, alternate custumes, new modes and such ?

Wow another huge step backwards compared to previous games.

This is why I'm getting it on PC. Even in the absolute worst case scenario of there being no unlockables after beating the game, I can still use a trainer/cheat engine to do things like unlimited ammo runs.

bidguy

Banned
tone spoiler:
so i guess resident evil became evil dead in terms of the tone of approach it takes

im ok with this kind of twist vs old games because that is still within the spirit of equal parts campy and horror that RE inspires even if the setting's tone is different from previous more 'alien/aliens' kinda competent action hero stuff

can you elaborate what you mean by this ? how are those comparable aside from the house ?

hughesta

Banned
I'm pretty sure there are unlockable weapons/modes. Not 100% but I remember seeing some after the datamining of the PC demo.

Watched first part, edit: part after meal, sorry.
some ropey stuff in the early boss sequences, like AI walking on the spot into a shelf constantly instead of going around, and weapon clipping through AI character when it shouldn't have been (Being VR mode might have made that worse)

Markitron

From what I've seen and heard, this'll be a pretty rough game for you.

There are tons of random spiders, though none of immense size that I've seen so far. They mostly come in swarms that blanket cabinets/doors you want to access. One preview also mentioned (very minor early-game spoiler)
being thrown into a well filled with spiders and centipedes

Bollox, hopefully it's just limited to the early part of the game.

KyleCross

Whilst that sounds horrifying, it coulda been worse I suppose. Uncharted 3 wasn't too bad so hopefully this won't either. Was worried it would be like REmake.
I share your phobia. I've never been able to play Skyrim for example. But the spiders in 7 don't bother me. They're small (fits in your palm sized) and are all bunched together and move in a swarm. Like Uncharted 3, but the spiders are tiny in comparison to the ones in that game.

Markitron

I share your phobia. I've never been able to play Skyrim for example. But the spiders in 7 don't bother me. They're small (fits in your palm sized) and are all bunched together and move in a swarm. Like Uncharted 3, but the spiders are tiny in comparison to the ones in that game.

I suppose that's a relief, thanks.

Dusk Golem

There are unlockables in RE7, some people are just jumping the gun with assumptions.

I don't know the full set of unlockables but I know of at least three 100%, and I know there's also more than the following:

Beat the game on any difficulty: There is a gun and a melee weapon you unlock. If you didn't pre-order you also unlock Madhouse Mode.

Beat the game on Madhouse Mode: You unlock the option for infinite ammo.

I also know there's more unlockables than I just mentioned. That's just what I know 100%. There's an unlockable for collecting every Mr. Everything in the game, for example.

In the Hex code there was mention of another mode but it wasn't specific what it was. Was titled Time Mode, so I think maybe it was some kind of chapter select but not 100% sure, and something else. But again it wasn't clear. And for all I know it's based on an older build of the game. No one has been specific with unlockables yet for better or worse, but people are jumping the gun on assuming as a result.

Kagutaba

Okay I let my curiosity get the better of me,
I watched until after the boss fight in the garage
and I must say the beginning hour is amazing. Probably the second best intro to a Resident Evil game after 4 (but for different reasons of course), very nicely paced and well written. I am seriously impressed by how they introduce the characters and how good they are at foreshadow coming events through items and lines of dialogue.

My grievances with the gameplay remain largely unchanged, but at least now I feel the trade off might have been worth it.

There are unlockables in RE7, some people are just jumping the gun with assumptions.

I don't know the full set of unlockables but I know of at least three 100%, and I know there's also more than the following:

Beat the game on any difficulty: There is a gun and a melee weapon you unlock. If you didn't pre-order you also unlock Madhouse Mode.

Beat the game on Madhouse Mode: You unlock the option for infinite ammo.

I also know there's more unlockables than I just mentioned. That's just what I know 100%. There's an unlockable for collecting every Mr. Everything in the game, for example.

In the Hex code there was mention of another mode but it wasn't specific what it was. Was titled Time Mode, so I think maybe it was some kind of chapter select but not 100% sure, and something else. But again it wasn't clear. And for all I know it's based on an older build of the game. No one has been specific with unlockables yet for better or worse, but people are jumping the gun on assuming as a result.

Thank you, that sounds really good!

Juno

LIAR and a FELON
I'm pretty sure there are unlockable weapons/modes. Not 100% but I remember seeing some after the datamining of the PC demo.

I think the unlockable mode people read about from the data-mining
(a Survival style mode)
relates to one of the DLC downloads in the premium version/season pass.

I suppose it's up for debate whether you consider Madhouse mode a new game mode, or simply a new difficulty level.

I just really hope they add 21:9 support for the full PC release of this game. The game would be so much more immersive with it. The demo did not have it although you could select the resolutions. Don't have my hopes up for it though...

Top Bottom