• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 - Early Impressions Thread (MARK SPOILERS!!)

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Has there been any word on the review embargo?

You'd have to ask reviewers, but it sounds like it'll either be the day before release, or the day before the day before release. Review copies have been sent out, number of places have gotten them, other places just receiving them.

Basically 1-2 days before release. Will probably be Midnight PST/EST on the 22nd or the 23rd.

That's not what I meant, some levels had parts where different events happened like the gas area which scares me more because I was expecting someone else.

I loved that about Evil Within's harder difficulties (not just Akumu, but also their regular hard difficulty, Akumu was just hard with one hit kills). Such as the first Chapter having a barricade to get past you need to use the stalker to bypass, late game enemies appearing much earlier in the game, and some of the encounters had huge curveballs to play off expectations and make them quite a bit more challenging.

That's kind of what I want to know about Madhouse. If it's just the same game but smarter/more threatening AI and limited saving, I'll probably play Madhouse first. But if it has some huge curveballs like Evil Within's harder difficulties had, then I'd probably wait and play it my second run.

Notably Revelations 2 added a few additional enemies in more challenging locations in its harder difficulties compared to normal.

Sanctuary

Quickest, most straightforward way to complete the Five Murders for anyone who's interested.

Did it myself the other night. Follow this exactly (there's some extra info in the description) and you can do it in about 10 minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULuR_h-0CtM

Who the hell actually figures this kind of stuff out by using logic, instead of just trying everything and posting what works until everyone has the complete solution?

Spades

I've seen some UK sites offering a pre-order pack - does anyone know if this applies to all launch copies or if it really is different per retailer?

Corpsepyre

Banned
16107339_10154587875526886_3306030297417188932_o.jpg

Yay. Available here in Pakistan now.

KyleCross

I've seen some UK sites offering a pre-order pack - does anyone know if this applies to all launch copies or if it really is different per retailer?

I believe all the preorder bonus is for everyone is the "survival pack." All the survival pack is is 4 healing items, a coin which is the in-game currency to unlock items, and instant access to the games hardest difficulty which normally requires you to beat the game first to unlock. As for if it's preorder only or if it's in the first-print run, I do not know.

kodecraft

Yea, playing through this on normal first. Then Madhouse afterwards. I have hope that this will be like The Evil Within and remix encounters, AI behavior, items.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
VR can be turned on and off in the middle of gameplay pretty easily, so you can play sections in VR and then remove VR, it isn't required you play the game with or without VR the whole way through. So can experiment with both options.

You'll be fine, you don't stay defenseless for very long in RE7 at all.

I don't want to flick it on and off...I really want it on. But even in the demo there are a few little animation flourishes they cut because of VR and I want to make sure the game isn't heavily modified for Vr.

Jake2by4

That guy is using Twitter and Tumblr links to post pictures proving he has/beat the game. I'm not one to call BS but that is highly suspect.

This quote "RE7 makes me appreciate RE6 now.... And I never thought, not in my life, would I ever find an RE game worse than 6."

Dusk Golem

I mean, for comparison here's two other Reddit Impressions already posted in this topic:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=228457679&postcount=185

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=228466149&postcount=205

Both of them I was able to confirm they own the game, if this guy can confirm it, then I'll believe it, but being honest they'll need more proof than what they have at this point. Even the original posting that they had the game was conspicuous, I remember that but PM'd them for curiosity sake (which is why you see them answer my question). They theoretically got the game before anyone else but waited until everything was known to make their post, which I find suspicious. This said, horror games are always more open to subjective to opinions than other things. I'm not saying this because he's negative, I've purposely only been posting impressions I know 100% are real, which is why I've only posted two so far. There's other impressions out there, but I don't post them here until I'm sure they're legit.

The rabid fanbase of RE is disgusting, if you don't agree with Capcom and the fanboys that the next big RE is a return to roots "true" RE, your opinion is either invalid or you're "wrong". RE7 sucks, big time, and I agree with the guy's impressions but you'll never actually see people try to counter their arguments; only fuel of which their bias is placed down upon them.

liquidtmd

Banned
What I'm especially wary of at this point is someone buying it, playing it for an hour and then proclaiming 'Its not Resident Evil 6 style, 6/10' without actually critiquing the game that it is as opposed to the game that it isn't.

Dusk Golem

The rabid fanbase of RE is disgusting, if you don't agree with Capcom and the fanboys that the next big RE is a return to roots "true" RE, your opinion is either invalid or you're "wrong". RE7 sucks, big time, and I agree with the guy's impressions but you'll never actually see people try to counter their arguments; only fuel of which their bias is placed down upon them.

I mean, Emma you haven't played the game either and are looking to justify your stance you've had on the game since day 1. There's more positive impressions I haven't been posting here because I can't confirm their legitimacy.

I know when we debated about games I'm generally more open than you, you like older style horror games and have a bias against first-person. That's fine. And you have a tendency to be very apprehensive to certain styles. There is taste and that's fine. The problem is you come to foregone conclusions, ignore all evidence to the contrary, and cling to anything that supports your argument. While I'm excited obviously, I do try to keep subjectivity and objectivity. I don't know how it'll rank on my Resident Evil or horror game chart at the moment at all. But I don't think something is right because it sounds right. Even if those impressions was glowing positive, over the moon "best Resident Evil ever!!", I wouldn't believe it until I have proof they're talking from experience and not just to rattle some chains one way or the other.

(for some outside context, me and her have known each other for a few years, and certainly debated horror games a number of times.)

Well I just read those links dusk posted, sounds good but it doesn't seem to add up to what I was hoping for. Time to check my expectations. I was hoping there was a whole hidden half of the game where it's just like old RE, lots of monsters and guns and ammo. Impressions don't make it seem like that is so. So a slower game with worse puzzles, damn.

I've been saying this is just another Outlast clone since the first moments of the first E3 reveal trailer and the Twitch stream linked here proves it, at least imo.

I watched about 15 minutes or so and the streamer put the VHS tape in to play Mia's stealth section. Aside from it being painfully short and pointless, with terrible stealth mechanics, it literally copies the concept that Outlast has where you're somebody carrying a camera around, moving around a seemingly abandoned house totally defenceless and all you can do is run and hide when eventually a scripted trigger box has the enemy grab you and the segment ends there. TOTALLY not from fucking Outlast, right guys?

People saying how you're not defenceless and you have options, well
in that VHS segment you have NO options - you run and hide, or have to start from an earlier checkpoint.

Also what's up with the character breathing so much to themselves like how the protagonist does in Outlast and Amnesia? It's actually distracting to listen to with headphones on.

so have you played it or still just using small parts of streams then stopping for confirmation bias?

dlauv

I can confirm he's legit. Or legit enough anyway. He sent me his twitter and everything adds up.

I've been saying this is just another Outlast clone since the first moments of the first E3 reveal trailer and the Twitch stream linked here proves it, at least imo.

I watched about 15 minutes or so and the streamer put the VHS tape in to play Mia's stealth section. Aside from it being painfully short and pointless, with terrible stealth mechanics, it literally copies the concept that Outlast has where you're somebody carrying a camera around, moving around a seemingly abandoned house totally defenceless and all you can do is run and hide when eventually a scripted trigger box has the enemy grab you and the segment ends there. TOTALLY not from fucking Outlast, right guys?

People saying how you're not defenceless and you have options, well
in that VHS segment you have NO options - you run and hide, or have to start from an earlier checkpoint.

Also what's up with the character breathing so much to themselves like how the protagonist does in Outlast and Amnesia? It's actually distracting to listen to with headphones on.

So, microtransactions confirmed?

Your post history is pretty telling. I don't approve of people jumping down the throats of any and all negative opinions. That's bad. But you're a part of this fanbase and have been looking to shit on this game since the beginning. That's just as bad, imo.

kromeo

Why do you keep reappearing to post the same shit? You obviously have no interest in the game, why not just leave it at that?

Dusk Golem

Well I just read those links dusk posted, sounds good but it doesn't seem to add up to what I was hoping for. Time to check my expectations. I was hoping there was a whole hidden half of the game where it's just like old RE, lots of monsters and guns and ammo. Impressions don't make it seem like that is so. So a slower game with worse puzzles, damn.

Know the following is half a response to you, and half an evaluation of myself and RE7 before release to myself and everyone who cares to read it.

While I'm excited, I am keeping my expectations in check. I'm... a weird person. So in the last five years, there's really only been three games I've gotten 'hyped' for, which would be Silent Hill Downpour, Evil Within, and Resident Evil 7. I have some weird interest in what I call "AA-Horror", I guess. Because all three look a bit rough around the edges but have things that catch my fancy, with bigger teams to realize some sort of horror style. There's certainly other games I look forward to and follow closely, but I wouldn't say 'hype' is the right word for them.

Even when I'm hyped though, it's not because I think it's a 10/10 amazing game, I just think it has the potential to be something I personally like. I just try to deal in information for things I'm hyped for, share why I'm excited for it, but not try to paint it as the next big game. I kind of knew before Downpour released it wasn't going to review well (though it did review worse than I expected), but I did end up liking it for some things I think it did fantastically, though it was held back by issues it had in other areas.

Evil Within turned out to be one of the biggest love/hate horror games in existence, I still find the reception to that game to be utterly fascinating.

So at the moment here we are less than a week before RE7 releases. There are impressions rolling in, but I am trying to keep impressions postings to ones I can prove 100%, only because as with any sort of pre-release cycle there's people who try to sway the mood before release one way or the other. There's already been a few which have turned out to be fake that were either trying to rise hype or be a shit stirrer.

I think RE7 will do well, but not be some smash out success. That's my honest prediction before release. I think my friend Plumpbiscuit has the complete wrong impression of RE7. She can be very passionate and fun to talk and debate with, but sometimes blinded by her opinions she forges early. RE7 checks a few boxes with her on what she dislikes so she's convinced without a shadow of a doubt RE7 will be shit. Before it was announced to be a horror game, she was sure it was going to be a dumb action game with microtransactions, and when it turned out to be a first-person horror game, she leapt to assumptions because she loathes most first-person horror games. Things like the character breathing, hide'n'sneak elements of any kind in first-person solidified her viewpoint and I don't think she'll change anytime soon on it, kind of a brick wall in that way for better or worse. Again, we've known each other for a few years.

I think the best way to approach RE7 is with your expectations in check. I do think it has the potential to be something special, but I don't think potential means what it will be, just what it can be. Until I've played it, I don't know what I think of the game. I suspect I'll like it, but to how much I'll like or dislike it will depend entirely on the game itself. But since I think there's potential, I collect info on the game and follow its release cycle, I can be pretty involved when I want to be. And with more information, I establish I still think it has potential to be something special.

Will it appeal to all types? By nature of horror, this genre is hugely subjective. I could see this game being the best reviewed horror game of the generation (but that would mean it has to beat SOMA, which has an 84 Metacritic), horror games usually get some lower reviews from people that either don't like the type of horror or the staples of horror games or even the genre altogether. Horror games often have many 'anti game-design' elements as I call them, supposed game design sins that can help fuel the horror but is the opposite of what many other genres would consider 'good game design'. And some people like myself love its unique qualities, others not so much. It also may have some serious flaws not evident until you play over its course. Many games do.

It'll be out soon and I know you plan to play it. One thing I look forward to is seeing the impressions of everyone, when it's not just some select few or we have to confirm who's telling the truth and who's just trying to shake things up one way or the other; the thoughts of people I know, the thoughts of people here on GAF, on Reddit, etc. I feel RE7 will have some mixed reaction, some people who end up adoring it and some people who aren't feeling it. I do think there's a lot of misconceptions on what RE7 is, even at this point. Holding tight onto beliefs to justify them or simply misinformed to the point it's obviously ignorance. I couldn't say I know exactly what RE7 is, I can't until I've played the thing myself. But I do try to follow info to give the best idea I can before release and have the best idea for myself.

I hope you like it Miami, but if you don't that's okay. I'm very curious how this game will go critically, with fans, and casual audiences. I think it's hard to say since there hasn't been a title like RE7 in some time. I sort of expect it may be split, but geared more positively than Evil Within for example, in big part due to polish and pacing. But we shall see. For myself, I am excited, but my excitement is weird in that it's not for 'the best RE game ever', nor is my excitement on anything for it to be overall amazing. Just something about the game I think has potential to be appealing to myself. And I want to share what I see that others may not. Still, I could end up disliking it, or not liking it as much as I would hope, but I don't really gear myself up for disappointment. Compared to a lot of people, I notice my 'hype' has strangely reasonable expectations. That's always been fairly true of me, since for me getting hyped for something is a weird process of emotion and calculation, observation and passion, weighing realistic expectations with curiosity of how everyone, myself, others, critics, fans, casuals, etc., may perceive it from all the different angles people will experience it with, their own expectations, hopes, and experience they have with the game. I find myself deeply interested in things like that, even of people I may disagree with. Which is why Plumpbiscuit is helpful because she and I see things very differently, which is fine. I just dislike sometimes her big confirmation bias she often forges for things and is hard for her to shake past that once she's solidified what something is in her mind.

But with all this said, I look forward to seeing how RE7 is received. And while I suspect some may be surprised by it, by nature I think some may be disappointed by it, and it'll be interesting to see where the fence is planted on that one.

Happy to have the embargo time. Of course would like it to be sooner, but at least it is before release. Critical reception will be... Interesting to watch.

Have you played it?

EDIT: Apparently you have not. I won't bother laughing at that, although I want to. I'll just say I find what you've said here among the most delicious irony I have ever tasted.

Pacotez

If this ends up being true, then God help us all.

I really liked the molded parts of the game. Sure it needs a lot improvements still but these parts were really RE-like
Everything else in the game just sucks tho. I really hate the PT parts and I'm thinking of skipping this entry because of it.
Considering it, I'm actually more hyped for RE8 than RE7

Know the following is half a response to you, and half an evaluation of myself and RE7 before release to myself and everyone who cares to read it.

While I'm excited, I am keeping my expectations in check. I'm... a weird person. So in the last five years, there's really only been three games I've gotten 'hyped' for, which would be Silent Hill Downpour, Evil Within, and Resident Evil 7. I have some weird interest in what I cal "AA-Horror", I guess. Because all three look a bit rough around the edges but have things that catch my fancy, with bigger teams to realize some sort of horror style. There's certainly other games I look forward to and follow closely, but I wouldn't say 'hype' is the right word for them.

Even when I'm hyped though, it's not because I think it's a 10/10 amazing game, I just think it has the potential to be something I personally like. I just try to deal in information for things I'm hyped for, share why I'm excited for it, but not try to paint it as the next big game. I kind of knew before Downpour released it wasn't going to review well (though it did review worse than I expected), but I did end up liking it for some things I think it did fantastically, though it was held back by issues it had in other areas.

Evil Within turned out to be one of the biggest love/hate horror games in existence, I still find the reception to that game to be utterly fascinating.

So at the moment here we are less than a week before RE7 releases. There are impressions rolling in, but I am trying to keep impressions postings to ones I can prove 100%, only because as with any sort of pre-release cycle there's people who try to sway the mood before release one way or the other. There's already been a few which have turned out to be fake that were either trying to rise hype or be a shit stirrer.

I think RE7 will do well, but not be some smash out success. That's my honest prediction before release. I think my friend Plumpbiscuit has the complete wrong impression of RE7. She can be very passionate and fun to talk and debate with, but sometimes blinded by her opinions she forges early. RE7 checks a few boxes with her on what she dislikes so she's convinced without a shadow of a doubt RE7 will be shit. Before it was announced to be a horror game, she was sure it was going to be a dumb action game with microtransactions, and when it turned out to be a first-person horror game, she leapt to assumptions because she loathes most first-person horror games. Things like the character breathing, hide'n'sneak elements of any kind in first-person solidified her viewpoint and I don't think she'll change anytime soon on it, kind of a brick wall in that way for better or worse. Again, we've known each other for a few years.

I think the best way to approach RE7 is with your expectations in check. I do think it has the potential to be something special, but I don't think potential means what it will be, just what it can be. Until I've played it, I don't know what I think of the game. I suspect I'll like it, but to how much I'll like or dislike it will depend entirely on the game itself. But since I think there's potential, I collect info on the game and follow its release cycle, I can be pretty involved when I want to be. And with more information, I establish I still think it has potential to be something special.

Will it appeal to all types? By nature of horror, this genre is hugely subjective. I could see this game being the best reviewed horror game of the generation (but that would mean it has to beat SOMA, which has an 84 Metacritic), horror games usually get some lower reviews from people that either don't like the type of horror or the staples of horror games or even the genre altogether. Horror games often have many 'anti game-design' elements as I call them, supposed game design sins that can help fuel the horror but is the opposite of what many other genres would consider 'good game design'. And some people like myself love its unique qualities, others not so much.

It'll be out soon and I know you plan to play it. One thing I look forward to is seeing the impressions of everyone, when it's not just some select few or we have to confirm thoughts, the thoughts of people I know, here on GAF, on Reddit. I feel RE7 will have some mixed reaction, some people who end up adoring it and some people who aren't feeling it. I do think there's a lot of misconceptions on what RE7 is, even at this point. Holding tight onto beliefs to justify them or simply misinformed to the point it's obviously ignorance. I couldn't say I know exactly what RE7 is, I can't until I've played the thing myself. But I do try to follow info to give the best idea I can before release and have the best idea for myself.

I hope you like it Miami, but if you don't that's okay. I'm very curious how this game will go critically, with fans, and casual audiences. I think it's hard to say since there hasn't been a title like RE7 in some time. I sort of expect it may be split, but geared more positively than Evil Within for example, in big part due to polish and pacing. But we shall see. For myself, I am excited, but my excitement is weird in that it's not for 'the best RE game ever', nor is my excitement on anything for it to be overall amazing. Just something about the game I think has potential to be appealing to myself. And I want to share what I see that others may not. Still, I could end up disliking it, or not liking it as much as I would hope, but I don't really gear myself up for disappointment. Compared to a lot of people, I notice my 'hype' has strangely reasonable expectations. That's always been fairly true of me, since for me getting hyped for something is a weird process of emotion and calculation, observation and passion, weighing realistic expectations with curiosity of how everyone, myself, others, critics, fans, casuals, etc., may perceive it from all the different angles people will experience it with, their own expectations, hopes, and experience they have with the game. I find myself deeply interested in things like that, even of people I may disagree with. Which is why Plumpbiscuit is helpful because she and I see things very differently, which is fine. I just dislike sometimes her big confirmation bias she often forges for things and is hard for her to shake past that once she's solidified what something is in her mind.

But with all this said, I look forward to seeing how RE7 is received. And while I suspect some may be surprised by it, by nature I think some may be disappointed by it, and it'll be interesting to see where the fence is planted on that one.

Happy to have the embargo time. Of course would like it to be sooner, but at least it is before release. Critical reception will be... Interesting to watch.

Great perspective as always. No matter the game there has always been a skill component to RE games whether it's from speed runs to unlock stuff or bonus mini games. The way all RE games are designed, even the old ones lend it self to high skill play. If this is a more slow, highly scripted game it could really disrupt that and I feel that could be what hurts the game for me. I am still excited to play and if it's a good game I will like it but it may not be what I would personally want which was always a stretch but I was holding out hope.

dlauv

Have you played it?

EDIT: Apparently you have not. I won't bother laughing at that, although I want to. I'll just say I find what you've said here among the most delicious irony I have ever tasted.

Are your a reviewer? If not, do you have any impressions you could lend?

Are your a reviewer? If not, do you have any impressions you could lend?

Our site is on Opencritic as contributors. I haven't played a final build of RE7, so I cannot opine on its quality or lack thereof. I'm simply pointing out the silliness of calling something shit without having played it, based on one or two impressions while ignoring the literal ocean of positive word the game has received.

Oh, and of course the irony of claiming bias towards the game being good.

DukeBobby

I'm hardly expecting this to be my favourite in the series, but I'm hoping it slots nicely into fourth place, behind RE4, REmake, and RE2.

Jawmuncher

I'm curious if any reviews will comment on the lack of action. RE6 got drug through more than once about the lack of horror in its reviews.

Top Bottom