• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 - Early Impressions Thread (MARK SPOILERS!!)

Jawmuncher

Yeah, played it on easy, but no infinite ammo.

Hmmm, guess it's only for madhouse mode under 4 hours.
Which at that point it's kinda redundant. But then again that's how all the older RE games were. When you got the infinite ammo you didn't even need it.

Holy shit. So there's a lot of skippable stuff it seems?

Seems like it. I know you can beat the game without ever getting the shotgun much like in the original RE.

Brhoom

Banned
How is the game meant for VR, when by all reports, Capcom implemented it as a secondary feature?

Really? Even if it's true, the game needs to run for VR. And VR needs locked 60 fps (or 90?).

If we gonna compare the graphics to other titles, it's only fair to compare it to other locked 60 fps games.

Brhoom

Banned
Hmmm, guess it's only for madhouse mode under 4 hours.
Which at that point it's kinda redundant. But then again that's how all the older RE games were. When you got the infinite ammo you didn't even need it.

Seems like it. I know you can beat the game without ever getting the shotgun much like in the original RE.

Sorry Jaw I missunderstood your question.

Unlockable spoilers only, not story related
-Got the art of defence and albert gun when I finsihed normal
-Got a circular saw and glasses when i finsihed easy under 4 hours, so one item could be related to easy, or both unlock with the 4 hour requirement
-Got infinte ammo for finishing Mad House mode

Jawmuncher

Sorry Jaw I missunderstood your question.

Unlockable spoilers only, not story related
-Got the art of defence and albert gun when I finsihed normal
-Got a circular saw and glasses when i finsihed easy under 4 hours, so one item could be related to easy, or both unlock with the 4 hour requirement
-Got infinte ammo for finishing Mad House mode
Ahh ok. Do these transfer to the other difficulties? Were you able to use the circular saw in mad house or the albert pistol and such?

Brhoom

Banned
Ahh ok. Do these transfer to the other difficulties? Were you able to use the circular saw in mad house or the albert pistol and such?

Unlockable spoilers only here, not story related if you want to read.

Yes. I think it's a glitch or something.I was stuck in Mad House mode, so I stopped, and played easy, and finsihed it under 4 hours. That unlocked the glasses, and the saw for my Mad house save.

F311

Ok so i dont often post on here but after reading some comments on this game i thought id chime in.

I love resident evil 0-4 and 5 was ok, with 6 being utter trash in my opinion.

I got it on friday and played about 4 hours friday and 2 hours saturday, the game is scary, not as in oh crap that scared me scary, more of a ok what is gonna happen round every corner scary, when you walk into a new room or area it's always tense, ammo for me so far has been sparse and it does feel like an older resident evil.

Just last night i couldnt find where to go, so i pulled up my map and checked which doors i hadnt been through, which where locked and which i had the key for,
Turns out jack was in the way of where i needed to go and was always getting in my way of what i needed to do and reminded me of nemesis

It's obviously not 100% classic resident evil but there is nods to it and its for sure a step in the right direction.

Astral Dog

The Switch simply can't handle it without severe upgrades plus it would be a late port. Nobody should be surprised.

Marvel vs Capcom 4 ,however i still have slim hope for Switch version

Edit: oh dear this is not the Switch thread,well still applies

I'm liking the fact that Madhouse mode is not just a hard difficulty setting but more of a 2nd scenario / rearranged mode, which adds some good replay value to the game.

And
speedrun unlockable items / cheats are a welcome return
, so I will get at least 3-4 play thoughs out of it (normal, madhouse, an
infinite ammo run
and a VR run) more than worth the asking price, although I might do the VR run with
infinite ammo
, so I'm less scared lmao.

Speaking of times to complete the games, I remember aside from the more recent 4, 5, and 6. The other RE game usually took me 6 to 8 ish hours. I believe there are pros and cons to linear semi open action games versus more structured, elaborate, interconnecting levels and with puzzles. Even if RE7 ended in another hour for my first run I'd be happy, seeing as I'm not yet close to the end. I'm more then satisfied but mileage for everyone will vary.

Jawmuncher

Speaking of times to complete the games, I remember aside from the more recent 4, 5, and 6. The other RE game usually took me 6 to 8 ish hours. I believe there are pros and cons to linear semi open action games versus more structured, elaborate, interconnecting levels and with puzzles. Even if RE7 ended in another hour for my first run I'd be happy, seeing as I'm not yet close to the end. I'm more then satisfied but mileage for everyone will vary.

5 was definitely speed run friendly. You got the infinite rocket launcher for doing it under 5 hours after all. But yeah the action games don't really lend themselves well to speed runs unless you're MLG pro, or have infinite ammo.

5 was definitely speed run friendly. You got the infinite rocket launcher for doing it under 5 hours after all. But yeah the action games don't really lend themselves well to speed runs unless you're MLG pro, or have infinite ammo.

Yes, I've done them under shorter times as well. The level design is much more intricate in these older style ones. Again, I'm not dissing the action greatness of r, 5, and 6, but that feeling is def not really so much present in 7, least so far.

Seth

I cant decide if i want to play this in VR or not. I have a good 4k HDR tv, but i wonder if VR will be a better experience.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I cant decide if i want to play this in VR or not. I have a good 4k HDR tv, but i wonder if VR will be a better experience.

FYI, you can switch between VR and not anytime in the middle of the game, so can experiment with both or do it on and off if you'd like.

xtianmarq

My PS4 preload is complete.....so this game is sitting there on my hard drive, taunting me. For Pete's sake, Capcom - please unlock the game!!!!

As an aside, it said that the pre-order survival pack could not be downloaded - is that because the game isn't yet unlocked?

If you want to run through the game as usual then play on the TV.

If you want to sit in front of a door, frozen from fear for minutes at a time, deciding if your heart and sanity can take it or not, then play it in VR.

Sanctuary

I can't decided if I should grab this on ps4 or PC. Any word on how it runs on PC?

On a GTX 1080, the demo runs 60fps at 1440p, Could probably run it at 4K if I wanted to limit it to 30fps. That's with most options on high or very high, but without using HBAO.

Dusk Golem

Nemesis, if reading, should post the OT today!

A lot of people already have RE7, and many will be getting it today, and more tomorrow (the PC version unlocks 9 PM PST tomorrow, when I'll be able to play).

I own a PSVR but I dunno if I'm gonna play in VR tbh. I'm gonna try for sure, but the Beginning Hour demo was so intense... I felt scared . I'm not sure I'm able to play the whole game in VR.

Spades

OK so I just killed
super mutated daddy
and then chose to
save Zoe
, and now we've just found the
boat which Mia and Eve came to town in. I'm now controlling Mia. Do you get chance to go back to the mansion as Ethan again
?
I have just got enough coins to buy the Mangum.

RedSnake

I own a PSVR but I dunno if I'm gonna play in VR tbh. I'm gonna try for sure, but the Beginning Hour demo was so intense... I felt scared . I'm not sure I'm able to play the whole game in VR.

If you want to run through the game as usual then play on the TV.

If you want to sit in front of a door, frozen from fear for minutes at a time, deciding if your heart and sanity can take it or not, then play it in VR.

That sounds great.

Really intrigued to see that for myself.

It took me until yesterday to build up the courage to play through the demo in VR and there was a point that I almost told myself I couldn't do it.

The way I see it, I paid $500 for this thing and it makes the game so much more intense as you said and it works so well, that it would be a shame and a waste for my first playthrough to not be in VR.

That sounds great.

Really intrigued to see that for myself.

It's really crazy how intense it is. You are there , and you're the one being hunted. Scary shit.

It took me until yesterday to build up the courage to play through the demo in VR and there was a point that I almost told myself I couldn't do it.

The way I see it, I paid $500 for this thing and it makes the game so much more intense as you said and it works so well, that it would be a shame and a waste for my first playthrough to not be in VR.

Guess you're right. Gonna take my time with the game and probably play it in short bursts.

doby

Spoiled the first 20 mins or so for myself on youtube. Excited to experience it in VR though, games should really be released on a Friday.

seady

Played for an hour with VR. The game tone is so dark and grim it really gave me a sick feeling playing through it. As a person that rarely get scared by horror game/film, I actually screamed several times in the first two hours - thanks to the VR.

That said, I really miss the feel of the RE that we were used to. The pop and easy-to-digest action horror games with memorable and likable characters.

OK so I just killed
super mutated daddy
and then chose to
save Zoe
, and now we've just found the
boat which Mia and Eve came to town in. I'm now controlling Mia. Do you get chance to go back to the mansion as Ethan again
?
I have just got enough coins to buy the Mangum.

Don't worry you'll get another chance to buy the
Magnum

SomTervo

9 PM PST/12 AM EST/5 AM GMT

It's unlocking at the same moment worldwide outside of some regions like Japan, which will unlock a few hours later.

So basically 34 & a half hours from now

Shit so Tuesday morning? I was gonna try and vpn it tomorrow night... Is that likely to work?

Joey Ravn

Banned
Quick question regarding the demo:

Can you still carry over the rusty coin to the main game regardless of what ending you get? The demo wasn't triggering the third laugh with the painting and the axe, and when it finally did, it was a run where I got hit by the mold monster and got the infected ending. I'm too lazy to try again, but if I need to get the true ending, I guess I'll have to redo it...

Jawmuncher

Quick question regarding the demo:

Can you still carry over the rusty coin to the main game regardless of what ending you get? The demo wasn't triggering the third laugh with the painting and the axe, and when it finally did, it was a run where I got hit by the mold monster and got the infected ending. I'm too lazy to try again, but if I need to get the true ending, I guess I'll have to redo it...

Ending doesnt matter so long as you pick up the coin

gconsole

Played for an hour with VR. The game tone is so dark and grim it really gave me a sick feeling playing through it. As a person that rarely get scared by horror game/film, I actually screamed several times in the first two hours - thanks to the VR.

That said, I really miss the feel of the RE that we were used to. The pop and easy-to-digest action horror games with memorable and likable characters.

You have to be clear which RE you mean lol.

That 2:30-ish speedrun time gives me hope that it's much easier to do than the original. I'll never get that under 3 hours trophy and it stings.

L.O.R.D

for a person who just hit by a major story spoiler for this game,is it worth playing it?
someone just spoiled several major points of the game for me,and now i am thinking if it still worth it playing the game.
don't know the ending yet,but the family relations and someone.

Dusk Golem

Does RE7 unlock early in some region on Steam? *cough* VPN *cough*

Nope, though it unlocks later in some regions (like Japan).

It unlocks simultaneously in the rest to the equivalent time zone response of 9 PM PST on the 23rd.

Top Bottom