• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 - Early Impressions Thread (MARK SPOILERS!!)

Some questions:
- Are there other areas besides the house from the trailers?
- Are there regular enemies and combat like classic RE?
- Does the game rely a lot on jump scares? Does it retain the "oh shit, low on ammo, getting surrounded" tension of 4 and classic games?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Some questions:
- Does the game rely a lot on jump scares? Does it retain the "oh shit, low on ammo, getting surrounded" tension of 4 and classic games?

01.) Yes. Know the trailers have been very selective in what they show off.
02.) Yes. The enemy selection is lower than an average RE game, but there's good variety and different types, and combat plays a pretty big role in RE7.
03.) They don't rely on jumpscares, but there's certainly more than zero. Running low/out of ammo is something many have shared experiencing, and without saying too much there are certain enemies that come in groups.

gfxtwin

So how does the final game compare to the demo, graphically? On par? Better? Worse? Just wondering since some footage of the final game seems more impressive, visually, but not sure.

takoyaki

Some questions:

about 5 hours in
-Yes
-Yes
-It has its fair share of jump scares, but also long moments of foreboding tension and moments of terror when you're being chased.
-Definitely, you're always low on everything and feel like you barely have enough resources to make it through some encounters.

01.) Yes. Know the trailers have been very selective in what they show off.
02.) Yes. The enemy selection is lower than an average RE game, but there's good variety and different types, and combat plays a pretty big role in RE7.
03.) They don't rely on jumpscares, but there's certainly more than zero. Running low/out of ammo is something many have shared experiencing, and without saying too much there are certain enemies that come in groups.
That's good to hear. That grimy Texas Chainsaw Massacre-esque atmosphere looked right up my alley. Dont know much about the game besides the demo and early trailers

A little stuck somewhere around 3 hours in. I'm looking for a
lamp, it seems? toput on a scale to open the room after the altar

I just got the
crow key, but it that only gave me a grenade launcher
. What am I missing?

Also,
do keys not disappear after you opened all the things with them? Scorpion key is still in my inventory, but there don't seem to be any more scorpion doors, at least, not in the places I've been so far.

Brhoom

Banned
A little stuck somewhere around 3 hours in. I'm looking for a
lamp, it seems? toput on a scale to open the room after the altar

I just got the
crow key, but it that only gave me a grenade launcher
. What am I missing?

Also,
do keys not disappear after you opened all the things with them? Scorpion key is still in my inventory, but there don't seem to be any more scorpion doors, at least, not in the places I've been so far.

look inside the hole you fell into when you were pushed. As far as I know, they are useless after that.

I know a few people have played it in VR, but has anyone who has played it on a regular PS4 with the VR? I don't have a Pro, and I'm debating between VR or PC. I just don't want it to look disappointing and take me out of the experience.

I also don't have it yet (comes this week), so I can't try out the demo on it.

Brhoom

Banned
I know a few people have played it in VR, but has anyone who has played it on a regular PS4 with the VR? I don't have a Pro, and I'm debating between VR or PC. I just don't want it to look disappointing and take me out of the experience.

I also don't have it yet (comes this week), so I can't try out the demo on it.

I did and thought It looked good.

So how does the final game compare to the demo, graphically? On par? Better? Worse? Just wondering since some footage of the final game seems more impressive, visually, but not sure.
I would say it's better. I'm only about a half hour in, and I'm playing on Pro, but everything looks sharper than the demo; not sure about regular PS4.

F311

Im completely stuck
I got the lantern, made my way into the childs room and to the back with the doll house looking for the arm and i cant see anything anywhere

getting games early sucks sometimes!

level1

Im completely stuck
I got the lantern, made my way into the childs room and to the back with the doll house looking for the arm and i cant see anything anywhere

getting games early sucks sometimes!

Open the dollhouse and look at the note inside. The drawing shows the layout of the room and the circle shows the location of a hidden door

I just watched a speed run for fun and it helped a lot once I started my own speed run later on.

I really need to get around to it. Despite having played the game numerous times, I don't have everything memorized let alone the quickest path to each objective. I'm sure there's some insane shortcuts and corners you can cut in general.

Jake2by4

There seems to be a weird variety in patch sizes on PS4 sometimes, I think people mentioned it with Overwatch specifically. Might be region specific or something.

Weird but here's the patch notes for everyone

54e10d60aa.png

Dusk Golem

Banned footage vol. 1

What's that? It was in the day update trophy list.

It's the first DLC for RE7, first thing on the season pass... Wait, is that DLC being released the same day as the game, or just sometime soon?

Surprising.

Next post I'll make will include what the DLC should be.

Dusk Golem

Night Terror is something new, but I have a feeling I know what it is.

Here's what each thing in Banned Footage Volume 1 is supposed to be:

NIGHTMARE: Wave-based survival thing starring Clancey (part of 'Clancey's story' which some of the Banned Footage DLC stuff covers), has two modes: Story & Survival mode. Seems to last 10 waves a stage. Apparently has some weapon crafting system, multiple stages, and new types of Molded not in the main game appear in it.

BEDROOM: Puzzle-focused DLC story chapter starring Clancey (another part of his story). Has a nursery rhyme theme, and may or may not also have a stalker in it.

ETHAN MUST DIE: Apparently a "challenge mode" for RE7 featuring remixed locales from the main game and new locations, kind of like an objective mode, apparently has various new things in it from the main game and is made to seriously challenge the player as they complete objectives and try to survive.

(the above should be around 90% accurate, not 100% accurate.)

NIGHTMARE is supposed to have a "Story" and "Survival" mode, I think NIGHTMARE may be the name of the story mode half, and NIGHT TERRORS the name of the Survival Mode half (or visa versa). I'd be surprised if it was something else.

Brhoom

Banned

NIGHTMARE: Wave-based survival thing starring Clancey (part of 'Clancey's story' which some of the Banned Footage DLC stuff covers), has two modes: Story & Survival mode. Seems to last 10 waves a stage. Apparently has some weapon crafting system, multiple stages, and new types of Molded not in the main game appear in it.

BEDROOM: Puzzle-focused DLC story chapter starring Clancey (another part of his story). Has a nursery rhyme theme, and may or may not also have a stalker in it.

ETHAN MUST DIE: Apparently a "challenge mode" for RE7 featuring remixed locales from the main game and new locations, kind of like an objective mode, apparently has various new things in it from the main game and is made to seriously challenge the player as they complete objectives and try to survive.

NIGHTMARE is supposed to have a "Story" and "Survival" mode, I think NIGHTMARE may be the name of the story mode half, and NIGHT TERRORS the name of the Survival Mode half (or visa versa).

Please tell me it will be released with the game.

duder92

Neo Member
Trying not to read too much and go in as fresh as possible. Did we ever find out what the coin from the demo unlocks or is used for?

Trying not to read too much and go in as fresh as possible. Did we ever find out what the coin from the demo unlocks or is used for?

I believe it's used similarly to the other coins you find in the game. Meaning it's just another coin to be used towards another upgrade/buff.

(the above should be around 90% accurate, not 100% accurate.)

NIGHTMARE is supposed to have a "Story" and "Survival" mode, I think NIGHTMARE may be the name of the story mode half, and NIGHT TERRORS the name of the Survival Mode half (or visa versa). I'd be surprised if it was something else.

So a Mercs replacement is basically in then eh? Shame if it's not part of the main game

Top Bottom