• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 - Early Impressions Thread (MARK SPOILERS!!)

Night Terror is something new, but I have a feeling I know what it is.

Here's what each thing in Banned Footage Volume 1 is supposed to be:

NIGHTMARE: Wave-based survival thing starring Clancey (part of 'Clancey's story' which some of the Banned Footage DLC stuff covers), has two modes: Story & Survival mode. Seems to last 10 waves a stage. Apparently has some weapon crafting system, multiple stages, and new types of Molded not in the main game appear in it.

BEDROOM: Puzzle-focused DLC story chapter starring Clancey (another part of his story). Has a nursery rhyme theme, and may or may not also have a stalker in it.

ETHAN MUST DIE: Apparently a "challenge mode" for RE7 featuring remixed locales from the main game and new locations, kind of like an objective mode, apparently has various new things in it from the main game and is made to seriously challenge the player as they complete objectives and try to survive.

(the above should be around 90% accurate, not 100% accurate.)

NIGHTMARE is supposed to have a "Story" and "Survival" mode, I think NIGHTMARE may be the name of the story mode half, and NIGHT TERRORS the name of the Survival Mode half (or visa versa). I'd be surprised if it was something else.

Nightmare, and Ethan Must Die should've been included. If they're coming out we should get them, free.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
To be honest, I'm surprised they decided to make the "Not A Hero" Additional Chapter DLC be free for everyone and not this one, partially since it seems the Not A Hero additional chapter is still in the works, and this either is done or very close to being done. Maybe it was to space out content, or likely they decided to make that one free since it sounds like it's an expansion on the story from a different perspective.

But I'm betting it was in their plan for a while, is what it is. I really liked RE5's DLC (and even had fun in RE6's DLC multiplayer modes), so I did go deluxe edition for RE7.

I do agree that the game takes a shift in tone and style for another big section but still remains engaging. The last little bit of the game is definitely the weakest link and very linear. Still, loved my time with it.

I do agree that the game takes a shift in tone and style for another big section but still remains engaging. The last little bit of the game is definitely the weakest link and very linear. Still, loved my time with it.

Hey Slasher, any chance your review is going to go up tonight, or are you just going to wait for embargo?

Glad you liked it though. I feel I'll have a similar viewpoint as you do.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain

See the thing is, the second big chunk of gameplay
takes it's cues from Revelations. A game that I think nobody enjoyed except me and like 10 other people.
So yeah. I can feel it. RE7 is about to take a critical beating. I'm fairly sure of this.

Hey Slasher, any chance your review is going to go up tonight, or are you just going to wait for embargo?

Glad you liked it though. I feel I'll have a similar viewpoint as you do.

I'm going to try and get it up tonight unlisted and posted here since I've got not embargo to withhold. My footage/review will be practically spoiler free when it comes to story beats or later locations and bosses.

Dusk Golem

WAIT, I just remembered something. Around the time Tape 3 trailer released, the trailer said this at Sony's conference:

ba755b227b7db308a3e55e1cc8f6d48b.png

So it seems it'll hit PS4 first. To be seen if day 1 or not.

It also only says the Banned Footage, so I am betting the other DLC stuff (the free "Not a Hero" chapter and the other additional chapter in the season pass) will release on all platforms at the same time.

takes it's cues from Revelations. A game that I think nobody enjoyed except me and like 10 other people.
So yeah. I can feel it. RE7 is about to take a critical beating. I'm fairly sure of this.

Honestly I didn't think it felt quite like that, but the change in ammo abundance and enemy ammount ramps up. Still enjoyed the exploration and story beats a lot. It's the real final area I felt was pretty inferior to everything before it. For me that last part really only accounted for about 1 hour for me as my final time was 8 and a half hours. Everything before that was amazing the retail of the game was simply good. *changed the time as I messed up*

Dusk Golem

I'm going to try and get it up tonight unlisted and posted here since I've got not embargo to withhold. My footage/review will be practically spoiler free when it comes to story beats or later locations and bosses.

Just for the video, hold off on YouTube and upload elsewhere I'd advise. Otherwise I predict Capcom ninjas will be over you.

I will post the written version to the review topic, but not the video version for your safety. XD;

Just for the video, hold off on YouTube and upload elsewhere I'd advise. Otherwise I predict Capcom ninjas will be over you.

I will post the written version to the review topic, but not the video version for your safety. XD;

Written won't go live till it's submitted to my site and they proof so it won't go live till Tuesday most likely. Though I'll upload unlisted on youtube and pm you the link for when embargo ends and can use in the thread, I'll throw it up on another site in the meantime for current viewing not in youtube for fellow gaffer to watch.

Dusk Golem

Written won't go live till it's submitted to my site and they proof so it won't go live till Tuesday most likely. Though I'll upload unlisted on youtube and pm you the link for when embargo ends and can use in the thread, I'll throw it up on another site in the meantime for current viewing not in youtube for fellow gaffer to watch.

Alright, curious and won't share it. I am looking forward to your impressions!

Brhoom

Banned
Playing the demo again.

The tone is really different from the final game.

The demo gives Silent Hill vibes where the final game is more of a Resident Evil game.

Not that it is a bad thing, but maybe they changed some stuff because some fans were outraged it was too much like P.T?

I know a few reviewers. I disagree completely.

Drewfonse

LOL, no.

kc44135

Playing the demo again.

The demo gives Silent Hill vibes where the final game is more of a Resident Evil game.

Not that it is a bad thing, but maybe they changed some stuff because some fans were outraged it was too much like P.T?

Yeah, it was part of why I disliked it so much initially. The tone felt a bit too serious, and the teasing of supernatural elements didn't sit right with me either. I like my threats in RE to be man-made (I.e. infected with some virus, or some horrible experiment gone wrong), and tonally, I like my scares delivered alongside a fine layer of cheese and classic RE goofiness.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
No specifics, just need a yes or no.

Any major returning characters at all?

Dmax3901

So I'm reviewing this and I'm several hours in, for the specific point I'm at with as little details so as to avoid breaking embargo:
I just got the snake key

Can someone who's finished it tell me how long I have to go? No spoilers, just how many hours please :)

Hoping to get my review up for the embargo but I'm worried I've got too much of the game left.

Brhoom

Banned
So I'm reviewing this and I'm several hours in, for the specific point I'm at with as little details so as to avoid breaking embargo:
I just got the snake key

Can someone who's finished it tell me how long I have to go? No spoilers, just how many hours please :)

Hoping to get my review up for the embargo but I'm worried I've got too much of the game left.

I would say you're halfway there.

Egg0

Banned
The Gamestop that I go to isn't doing a midnight launch, but a 9-10 PM launch tomorrow night. Anyone else having the same thing?

Also the dude told me that the launch is only for RE7 and Tales of Berseria. Which means I have to pick up my Yakuza preorder in the morning because they can't sell Kingdom Hearts and Yakuza until tuesday.

Nemesis_

I just got the snake key

I wouldn't write a review from playing just that.

Trophies for the DLC are up. Nothing too exciting.

Video review is rendering now. Should be done in about 35 minutes it says. I think I got my feelings out on it well enough without going too long.

Playing the demo again.

Disappointing. The demo is what got me so excited for the game because it reminded me of PT. Such a good/creepy atmosphere.

Honestly I didn't think it felt quite like that, but the change in ammo abundance and enemy ammount ramps up. Still enjoyed the exploration and story beats a lot. It's the real final area I felt was pretty inferior to everything before it. For me that last part really only accounted for about 1 hour for me as my final time was 8 and a half hours. Everything before that was amazing the retail of the game was simply good. *changed the time as I messed up*

Agreed. I feel like almost every resident evil falls into this same progression. Hopefully they will look at it next installment and try and have it tie into the tone of the game better rather than go the "action" route. I feel that the ending of the game, while not bad per se, really does not live up to what the previous 4 parts established quality and enjoyment wise.

A small knock on an overall great game IMO.

Also does anyone know exactly what version 1.01 does? I just downloaded it today.

Edit: just saw post on previous page about 1.01

carlsojo

Night Terror is something new, but I have a feeling I know what it is.

Here's what each thing in Banned Footage Volume 1 is supposed to be:

NIGHTMARE: Wave-based survival thing starring Clancey (part of 'Clancey's story' which some of the Banned Footage DLC stuff covers), has two modes: Story & Survival mode. Seems to last 10 waves a stage. Apparently has some weapon crafting system, multiple stages, and new types of Molded not in the main game appear in it.

BEDROOM: Puzzle-focused DLC story chapter starring Clancey (another part of his story). Has a nursery rhyme theme, and may or may not also have a stalker in it.

ETHAN MUST DIE: Apparently a "challenge mode" for RE7 featuring remixed locales from the main game and new locations, kind of like an objective mode, apparently has various new things in it from the main game and is made to seriously challenge the player as they complete objectives and try to survive.

(the above should be around 90% accurate, not 100% accurate.)

NIGHTMARE is supposed to have a "Story" and "Survival" mode, I think NIGHTMARE may be the name of the story mode half, and NIGHT TERRORS the name of the Survival Mode half (or visa versa). I'd be surprised if it was something else.

That's actually a pretty good collection of offerings for the first part of the DLC. Maybe a Season Pass that's actually worth it?

what-ok

Went for the whole package with the DLC. Now I wait until it unlocks tomorrow night. (=
My wife is not looking forward to it though.

Dusk Golem

im going with worse on this one.

It depends. RE6 had those multiplayer mode things and RE5 had Versus Mode, and from the sounds of it RE7 still has plenty of unlockables and such. I think it'll come down to what the modes themselves are and such, but to be seen, to be seen.

Zuzzissm0

Agreed. I feel like almost every resident evil falls into this same progression. Hopefully they will look at it next installment and try and have it tie into the tone of the game better rather than go the "action" route. I feel that the ending of the game, while not bad per se, really does not live up to what the previous 4 parts established quality and enjoyment wise.

A small knock on an overall great game IMO.

Also does anyone know exactly what version 1.01 does? I just downloaded it today.

Edit: just saw post on previous page about 1.01
All i Know maybe you get a Post Credit Screen for Not a Hero dlc wich i was getting since friday on Xbox

Top Bottom