• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 - PC Performance Thread

IceIpor

So we are NOT supposed to update the Nvidia drivers. Right?
From what I'm reading, the updated Nvidia drivers fixes some of the stuttering but drops the average frame times to what you're seeing on the recent chart.

So you basically have to pick your poison at the moment. Higher FPS? Or smoother gameplay?

Sanctuary

Yuck! I've tried it now in a few different configs. RGB 8 bpc, 4:2:2 10 bpc with no issues (so far). However when I first booted the game, the game screen was crazy bright pink, but this went away when I set the game to my television's native resolution. What's your res set to?

4K. Can't run the game in any other resolution. Also, from what I've read, games don't even use higher than 8-bit anyway. Higher is for photos and UHD content.

SittingBass

Neo Member
Definitely some memory leak going on here. Regardless of my resolution/texture settings, and even with the new drivers, the game runs flawlessly for 40-ish minutes and then starts to have massive lag spikes whenever I turn a corner or a scripted sequence begins.

I had zero issues running the notoriously demanding Dishonored 2 on this same PC just a month ago, so it isn't the 970 that's to blame.

I turned off shadow cache because some Steam users are saying it's the source of the leak. I'll play for a while longer and see if it changes anything.

Edit: Nope. Shadow Cache wasn't it.
Getting these exact same issues. Sometimes it will lag and stay suspended for about 3 seconds. It normally runs at 60fps but these stutters are really killing it for me.

Wow, game runs bad on my GTX 970, i5-4670k@4.0ghz and 8 GB RAM combo at 1440p. Can't get it to run smoothly under any circumstances. Not sure about upgrading drivers either as I'm hearing mixed things.

Wanderer5

Well looks like I am going to really regret updating the Nvidia driver it seems. Beforehand I was running the game fine on medium settings, but now post-driver update, it lags out quite a bit at times when going around corners or scripted event trigger.:/

Enclose

So my GTX 980ti still runs into the Memory Limit. Cant explain that. My whole 6GB VRAM are being used from the game.
Turned off Shadow Cache but the Problem is still there.

Everything maxed out, except Shadows on High and Resolution Scaling on 1.0

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
Ugh. I'm not even going to make it 5 minutes in. I'm going to wait till a real driver/patch is implemented that doesn't make playing the game on an HDR screen an absolute black crush nightmare. Seriously, the opening sequence is not supposed to be nothing but black and orange at dusk time, is it?

D

Deleted member 286591

Unconfirmed Member
Game runs perfectly fine for me @1080 with all maxed, MSAA and 1.3 internal rez scaling.

6700k + 16g + 1070 mini + SSD. No stutter, buttery smooth, perfect. And the game is just a blast, I'm loving it.

Erebus

I'm having similar issues. Game runs really smoothly and then suddenly after an hour of play it goes to shit to the point I need to hard close the game.

Hopefully it gets fixed soon.

So my GTX 980ti still runs into the Memory Limit. Cant explain that. My whole 6GB VRAM are being used from the game.

I'm having the same issue with my GTX 1060 6GB; the game is using the whole VRAM and although I'm getting a perfect 60fps there's some bothersome stuttering every now and then and ultimately the whole game crashes.

WTF Capcom?! The past RE games were amazingly optimized on PC.

Enclose

I'm having the same issue with my GTX 1060 6GB; the game is using the whole VRAM and although I'm getting a perfect 60fps there's some bothersome stuttering every now and then and ultimately the whole game crashes.

WTF Capcom?! The past RE games were amazingly optimized on PC.

Same, 60FPS Stable but with some stutters and without the crashes. But its not acceptable that the game is eating my whole vram the whole time.

Wanderer5

Woah for some reason here, the graphic settings were turn up to very high settings.o_O No wonder performance took a nosedive lol. That is weird, but now going back to medium settings, things are running normal now.

Erebus

Same, 60FPS Stable but with some stutters and without the crashes. But its not acceptable that the game is eating my whole vram the whole time.

And that's the error message that appears upon the game crashing:

d://reengine//reengine//builder//modules//render//os//renderdevice dx11.cp" 4948 createComputerShader failed. HRESULT=0x80070057, The parameter is incorect.

Could it be related to the VRAM?

Zafir

Definitely some memory leak going on here. Regardless of my resolution/texture settings, and even with the new drivers, the game runs flawlessly for 40-ish minutes and then starts to have massive lag spikes whenever I turn a corner or a scripted sequence begins.

I had zero issues running the notoriously demanding Dishonored 2 on this same PC just a month ago, so it isn't the 970 that's to blame.

I turned off shadow cache because some Steam users are saying it's the source of the leak. I'll play for a while longer and see if it changes anything.

Edit: Nope. Shadow Cache wasn't it.

Yeah I had the same issue.

I first had it when I past the
Family Dinner
scene near the start, and I just had stutters really often. Going round corners or autosaving.

Restarting solves it though, so it must be some kind of leak.

MazeHaze

Banned
Has anyone found a solution for the stuttering? It is ruining the game for me right now. My 980 should be crushing this thing at 1080p.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Has anyone found a solution for the stuttering? It is ruining the game for me right now. My 980 should be crushing this thing at 1080p.

Turning off shadow cache and putting shadows on high fixed it for me, if I put it on very high I get stutter.

Dmented

Banned
Game runs perfectly fine for me @1080 with all maxed, MSAA and 1.3 internal rez scaling.

6700k + 16g + 1070 mini + SSD. No stutter, buttery smooth, perfect. And the game is just a blast, I'm loving it.

Almost exactly what my stuff is, except I have a GTX 1080 and I'm running it on my HDD. Though I have seen some stutters randomly but they fix themselves pretty fast so it's not a big deal to me.

BiggNife

I've been playing on a 1070 at 1080p with most settings on High and it looks great and runs smooth as butter. No stutters.

pa22word

Same card, had to turn textures to high to make the game playable.

J4g3r

I finished the second tape sequence and after I came out of it, my mouse was completely unresponsive in-game

Anyone encounter this and have a fix? Hopefully it auto-saved...

Bendoruu

Neo Member
Is it supposed to look like this at the very beginning of the game ?

It's terrible, the shadows are so blurry, with everything maxed out or not, CA or not, I've tried every setting. The game runs very smoothly though. (GTX970). Dots and blurriness everywhere !

1485306447-20170125020320-1.jpg

Aikidoka

The dinner scene at the beginning is completely bugged. I restarted the checkpoint multiple times and even reloaded the save in the attic prior but nothing's changed. Anyone know about this?

edit: Also, this game refuses to close on steam. I've had to shutdown steam via task manager twice just to get it to stop "running" (RE7 doesn't actually show up in task manager)

RedSwirl

So if/when I get this game, on my 1070 should I just go ahead and pump it up to 1440p (at 60fps)?

By the way, with these new games that offer resolution scaling, from 1080p, what additional ratios correspond to 1440p and 4k respectively?
Edit: So if you're playing at 1080p, 1440p is 133% right? Is 4k 200% or something else?

datamage

Just played for an hour straight without a hitch.

6700k @ 4.7
GTX 1080 @ stock (Using 376.33 drivers)
Playing on my OLED C6 (w/HDR)

Have the game set to 4K with rendering set to 0.8.

All settings are at their highest, except for the following--

AO = SSAO
Reflections = Variable
Shadow cache = Off

Specs:
i7 6700k
2x1080's SC
32GB DDR4

So.....getting an insane amount of flickering just in the title screen. All I've done is update to the newest drivers and set the SLI Bits in Nvidia Inspector to the Battlefield 1 profile which seems to work because I see both GPU's putting in work.

Everything maxed out in 4k Windowed, reflections set to variable but it's flickering so bad I can't even play. Any suggestions? Maybe I've got something on that shouldn't be?

EDIT - Looking at the .ini I see that HDR refuses to turn off. Anyone experience this? This has to be the issue. I'm on a 4K Monitor, no HDR:

HDRMode=1

Tried setting it to 0 but it reverts. Tried deleting it, which sticks but still HORRIBLE flickering. Just going into the menu's it flickers about 100x in 10 seconds.

EDIT 2 - It was the SLI Bits I was using. Changing them around fixed it initially but seeing a small amount 10 mins into the game. Going to play around with it and see what happens.

I finished the second tape sequence and after I came out of it, my mouse was completely unresponsive in-game

Anyone encounter this and have a fix? Hopefully it auto-saved...
My game crashed right after I cam out of that scene as well. Also happened the first time I was watching the dinner scene. Game still would appear on screen with sound but was unresponsive. Hasn't happened since I turned shadows down to high and turned shadow cache off.

dlauv

970 here: Changing textures from Very High to High minimized stutter. It only really happened when I entered big rooms. I don't know what other optimization to do.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Am I really the only one using a PC monitor to have the HDR options not grayed out? Really confused by this now...

I5 6500
16gb

Getting solid 60 an hr in.
Mix of high/VH settings

Im fearing a tank in performance if theres a mem leak

Edit: i took 2 settings to VH and my fps tanked to 30-40.
Took em back to high and at 60 again.
I need my 1070 already lol

MazeHaze

Banned
Game is currently unplayable for me after the dinner scene. Stutters and freezes every couple seconds, and by freeze I mean like, the game freezes for 3 or 4 seconds and then runs a little, and then freezes for a second and then runs a little.

Gtx980
I54690k

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Using a i5 and 970. Game is unplayable for me. Everything was perfect until I got to the dinner scene. The whole area runs horribly. There are certain corners that will consistently cause extreme hitching. Not just a few dropped frames, it freezes up like the game is crashing. When I get attacked by the guy that follows you around, it becomes an unmanageable slideshow. Even in empty rooms, turning around causes the game to chug like it's dying. Messing with settings did nothing. I've decided to just shelve the game until it gets patched. As a huge RE fan, this is really disappointing.

What's weird is that the first section of the game (the demo stuff) was perfect. It wasn't until I hit that dinner scene that everything went to shit.

MazeHaze

Banned
Using a i5 and 970. Game is unplayable for me. Everything was perfect until I got to the dinner scene. The whole area runs horribly. There are certain corners that will consistently cause extreme hitching. Not just a few dropped frames, it freezes up like the game is crashing. When I get attacked by the guy that follows you around, it becomes an unmanageable slideshow. Even in empty rooms, turning around causes the game to chug like it's dying. Messing with settings did nothing. I've decided to just shelve the game until it gets patched. As a huge RE fan, this is really disappointing.

Whats weird is that the first section of the game (the demo stuff) was perfect. It wasn't until I hit that dinner scene that everything went to shit.

This is the exact same experience I am having. If I turn all settings to medium the performance gets substantially better, but still not perfect.

What's weird is that the first section of the game (the demo stuff) was perfect. It wasn't until I hit that dinner scene that everything went to shit.

And now im fearing getting there
970/i56500

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
This is the exact same experience I am having. If I turn all settings to medium the performance gets substantially better, but still not perfect.
Yeah, I posted that before I read the last page of posts. At least we have solidarity.

With so many people having the same issues, I imagine it'll be patched soon. Just a bummer that I have to continue dodging spoilers. I'm going into this blind with the exception of the demo, and even the thumbnail from the Giant Bomb quick look showed something I haven't gotten to (that looked interesting).

StewboaT_

Ya I was fine until the dinner scene then my framerate tanked hard. Had to lower the res scaling from 1.5 to 1.3 to run at 60 again.

do the new drivers get rid of the stutters at least?

From what I'm reading, the updated Nvidia drivers fixes some of the stuttering but drops the average frame times to what you're seeing on the recent chart.

So you basically have to pick your poison at the moment. Higher FPS? Or smoother gameplay?

I have had a flawless experience so far.

I have been playing for about 3 hours. With a solid 60fps@1440p and 16ms frametimes.

I have a
6600K@4.2GHz
1070 GTX@1950MHz
16GB DDR4@2400

GPU usage has hit around 85% at most. I didn't test a lot, but I was getting between 140fps and 116fps( @1080p) in the very opening of the game with both new and old drivers.

I am using max settings with variable reflections, VSync with variable frame rate, but locked at 60fps with Riva Tuner.

Gren

Jeez what a shit show. Guess I should've waited a bit longer for impressions beyond just the opening part.

Not even gonna bother booting this back up until a patch or solution comes along. This is another botched PC release of an RE (the last one that mattered being Rev 2).

Ghazi

Jeez what a shit show. Guess I should've waited a bit longer for impressions beyond just the opening part.

Not even gonna bother booting this back up until word of a patch comes along. Is is another botched PC release of RE (the last one that mattered being Rev 2).

Huh? I haven't kept up with the thread but I managed a 120-144fps (with it usually hovering closer to 144) experience at almost max settings. Other than some weird alt-tabbing and keyboard not working fuckery, performance wise it's pretty good. I have a 980Ti/6700K, but I'm not on the latest GPU drivers.

Setting shadows to high instead of very high is the biggest performance boost I can remember.

Huh? I haven't kept up with the thread but I managed a 120-144fps (with it usually hovering closer to 144) experience at almost max settings. Other than some weird alt-tabbing and keyboard not working fuckery, performance wise it's pretty good. I have a 980Ti/6700K, but I'm not on the latest GPU drivers.

Setting shadows to high instead of very high is the biggest performance boost I can remember.

Hmm I was about to suggest that maybe it was a memory problem for sub 8GB cards(not that it should matter). I have had zero problems and I am way past the dinner scene. Did you turn off shadow caching as has been suggested? Maybe others have not.

Can't even play the game. Has crashed 100% of the time that I hit "New Game".

What's your CPU,GPU ect..

Ghazi

Hmm I was about to suggest that maybe it was a memory problem for sub 8GB cards(not that it should matter). I have had zero problems and I am way past the dinner scene. Did you turn off shadow caching as has been suggested? Maybe others have not.

I did not turn off shadow caching and I have finished the game, performance improved the further I got.

I did not turn off shadow caching and I have finished the game, performance improved the further I got.

Cool

Game is currently unplayable for me after the dinner scene. Stutters and freezes every couple seconds, and by freeze I mean like, the game freezes for 3 or 4 seconds and then runs a little, and then freezes for a second and then runs a little.

Gtx980
I54690k

That's a 4GB card. Have you tried lowering texture settings? I saw your other thread. 4K plus high texture settings might be a bit much for 4GB of ram on this game.

I'm about to play thus game. I had no issues with the demo and I'm hoping the final game is the same.

980ti
16gb
Win10

Playing at 1080p. Demo ran at a flawless 60fos with no stutters.

Sliver

What's your CPU,GPU ect..

GTX 760
i5 3570K 3.4GHz
8GB Ram

Pretty much at the minimum spec range, but was hoping the game would at least play, lol.

Top Bottom