• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 - PC Performance Thread

Guru3d updated their results with the new Nvidia driver.. it doesn't appear to be showing on the article though.. but I caught the 1080p comparison differences:

index.php
b79be076_unknown.png

Guru3d updated their results with the new Nvidia driver.. it doesn't appear to be showing on the article though.. but I caught the 1080p comparison differences:

http://www.guru3d.com/index.php?ct=articles&action=file&id=28326[IMG][IMG]http://cdn.overclock.net/b/b7/b79be076_unknown.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

Isn't that a fucking massive bump in performace?

Denzar

Man, the AA options are poor. SMAA is a jag-fest, and TAA and FXAA make it look like I smeared vaseline all over the screen.

I had to compromise on the TAA option, less jaggies, more blur, but it kinda fits with the atmosphere of the game.

pa22word

Man, the AA options are poor. SMAA is a jag-fest, and TAA and FXAA make it look like I smeared vaseline all over the screen.

I had to compromise on the TAA option, less jaggies, more blur, but it kinda fits with the atmosphere of the game.

Have you tried injecting some light sharpening with reshade? Worked absolute wonders with Deus Ex MD.

EDIT: O__o @ those driver improvements

was the launch driver just fubar or something? I hope it fixes the stuttering problem, too.

luulubuu

Having some problems; fps are 60~ish at ultra with my GTX 970

Specially in new zones, I have a few frame stuttering

Denzar

Have you tried injecting some light sharpening with reshade? Worked absolute wonders with Deus Ex MD.

was the launch driver just fubar or something? I hope it fixes the stuttering problem, too.

No I haven't. Thanks!

Everything's perfect on my GTX 970 and i7 4770k.

Everything basically all the way up, 1080p, normal rendering method, 1 resolution scaling...

The trick was dealing with shadow quality and reflections. For one reason or another, the difference between high and very high shadow quality is like 30fps, while the difference between variable reflections, and reflections set to just "on", is a whole lot of black flickering on objects.

Which driver version are those benches from? Wanna make sure I get the right one.

luulubuu

Try turning down textures to high. I saw no difference but those are usually the issue when lots of frames but stuttering. The pain of 970 :p

Everything basically all the way up, 1080p, normal rendering method, 1 resolution scaling...

The trick was dealing with shadow quality and reflections. For one reason or another, the difference between high and very high shadow quality is like 30fps, while the difference between variable reflections, and reflections set to just "on", is a whole lot of black flickering on objects.

This helped a lot, no difference and almost 40 fps more! 120 fps rock solid, also depth of field disabled yay or nah

Think I just figured this one out. If you look in the game directory you'll find a settings file called re7_config.ini , in this file I noticed that a setting is labelled HDRMode=1 even though I have HDR disabled in game. So I changed this to HDRMode=0 and now the game looks great, no washed out image including the overlay.

I reckon when you disable HDR in game its setting the wrong value in that line or something.

I've done this but every time I start the game the game defaults to HDR on and the value in that file goes back to 1. How do I get it to default to HDR off?

When HDR is on the colors change, everything is orange and brown. But off the brightness is super bright.

Peterthumpa

I've done this but every time I start the game the game defaults to HDR on and the value in that file goes back to 1. How do I get it to default to HDR off?

When HDR is on the colors change, everything is orange and brown. But off the brightness is super bright.
Maybe changing the file and setting it to read only shortly after?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
someone mentioned turning off shadow cache helps, thank you sir, it helped a ton

I'll try it.

For an example my game does not look like this

https://youtu.be/IlfrZp5DK3Y

See all those shadows on the first area. My game looks like this

https://youtu.be/V4vHS-_juzI

Super bright. If I turn HDR on it gets ugly with crushed blacks and everything becomes orange.

I'm having the same issue with crushed blacks in HDR, from the other thread...

I had no issues at all running the game on first boot in HDR Mode 4K with 5.1 surround on my LG E6 through my Marantz SR5010. Absolutely no crashes at all either, graphics card is GTX1080 using 376.09 driver version.

One thing I will say is that HDR mode is really really dark. When playing through the RE7 demo you can still see things in your peripheral vision, but the exact same spot using HDR in the full game is almost pitch black.

HDR mode does look better than standard though. It's just those crushed blacks.

I will say that performance is pretty good, 60fps at 4K fully maxed with interlaced rendering.

Arsenic13

You need to set your "Output Color Depth" to 10bit. This setting is located in Nvidia Control Panel under the resolution setting. You might also need to change your digital color format to something like YCbCr 420.

What model television are you using?

Managed to get it to work but dont have 10 bit as an option

I just got a popup for a game ready driver. What's it gonna break this time?

I thought this thread was about PC gaming performance who gives a fuck about 1080p benchmarks
The vast majority of people who both don't game at anything higher than 1080p, and who don't even own the hardware to do that?

Like I argue in every thread regarding the PS Pro and Scorpio, they should be targeting framerate above resolution.

I want to play this game at a consistent framerate at 1080p, not... Well... This...

Is there anyway I can get this running at 30fps and above at 4k on a GTX 980? What can I turn down to make that happen? What's the setting that chews the most frames?

I'm having the same issue with crushed blacks in HDR, from the other thread...

I had no issues at all running the game on first boot in HDR Mode 4K with 5.1 surround on my LG E6 through my Marantz SR5010. Absolutely no crashes at all either, graphics card is GTX1080 using 376.09 driver version.

One thing I will say is that HDR mode is really really dark. When playing through the RE7 demo you can still see things in your peripheral vision, but the exact same spot using HDR in the full game is almost pitch black.

HDR mode does look better than standard though. It's just those crushed blacks.

I will say that performance is pretty good, 60fps at 4K fully maxed with interlaced rendering.

Yeah the ini file thing does nothing. Every time I start the game it defaults to HDR and when I turn it off I get super bright mode.

Your game doesn't become orange in HDR? When the game starts off the capcom logo is orange, not yellow. The game menu on the tape recorder is orange not yellow. It's not just the crushed blacks that's an issue

Denzar

Try turning down textures to high. I saw no difference but those are usually the issue when lots of frames but stuttering. The pain of 970 :p

Damn, dialed back loads of graphical settings, but I still get stuttering from hell every corner I turn. GTX 970. I think my CPU might be bottle necking me... (I7 3770 @ 3.40) 10 GB RAM btw.

Dial it down some more?

Ludens

Banned
I have many problems with my 970 and i7 4770. First the resolution resets every time I quit the game, when I start it again I have this big black bar on the right of the screen and if I quit the game, it fucks up my desktop, forcing me to restart (red is 1366*768). If I switch between full screen and border less windows, the resolution fixes itself in-game, but the desktop is screwed until a reboot. Plus the steam overley is white, only with this game, and only after installing the latest Nvidia driver.

Sky Chief

I just got a popup for a game ready driver. What's it gonna break this time?

The vast majority of people who both don't game at anything higher than 1080p, and who don't even own the hardware to do that?

Like I argue in every thread regarding the PS Pro and Scorpio, they should be targeting framerate above resolution.

I want to play this game at a consistent framerate at 1080p, not... Well... This...

What? You high?

It's not 2012 anymore

Damn, dialed back loads of graphical settings, but I still get stuttering from hell every corner I turn. GTX 970. I think my CPU might be bottle necking me... (I7 3770 @ 3.40) 10 GB RAM btw.

Dial it down some more?

Make sure you are using interlaced rendering too.

Sanctuary

You need to set your "Output Color Depth" to 10bit. This setting is located in Nvidia Control Panel under the resolution setting. You might also need to change your digital color format to something like YCbCr 420.

What model television are you using?

HDR doesn't even work correctly on my TV with any other setting than RGB Full. With RGB Full, you can't go above 8-bit, which is probably why I'm getting massive banding. 4:2:2 and 4:2:0 just turn it into a checkerboard of green pixels when HDR kicks in.

Make sure you are using interlaced rendering too.

Why? Interlaced really messes up the picture. They would be better off changing the in game scaler to lower than 1.

Zemm

Runs sweet as a nut on my i5 6500 and RX480 8GB at 1440p 70-120 fps. No stuttering, everything on the max settings. Looks great. Hopefully they can patch anything that needs patching for others having issues.

IceIpor

index.php
b79be076_unknown.png
Actually, that is incorrect.

Apparently those were results from before the most recent Nvidia drivers, which makes it even more baffling/amusing.

Actually, that is incorrect.

Apparently those were results from before the most recent Nvidia drivers, which makes it even more baffling/amusing.

That would make sense since it doesn't show up in the article..

So the answer is simply go back to the last drivers until they get their shit sorted.

Yeah the ini file thing does nothing. Every time I start the game it defaults to HDR and when I turn it off I get super bright mode.

Your game doesn't become orange in HDR? When the game starts off the capcom logo is orange, not yellow. The game menu on the tape recorder is orange not yellow. It's not just the crushed blacks that's an issue

I can't get the game to load and the TV to switch fast enough to see the Capcom label at all. The cassette menu is yellow until I "activate" it and then it's orange with yelllw text. Apart from the blacks, everything looks much better in HDR.

Did you adjust the blue/red slider in game options after setting max HDR brightness?

HDR doesn't even work correctly on my TV with any other setting than RGB Full. With RGB Full, you can't go above 8-bit, which is probably why I'm getting massive banding. 4:2:2 and 4:2:0 just turn it into a checkerboard of green pixels when HDR kicks in.

Why? Interlaced really messes up the picture. They would be better off changing the in game scaler to lower than 1.

Interlaced works perfect for me at 4K, with no noticeable difference and gains a 20fps boost.

Nezacant

Yuck! I've tried it now in a few different configs. RGB 8 bpc, 4:2:2 10 bpc with no issues (so far). However when I first booted the game, the game screen was crazy bright pink, but this went away when I set the game to my television's native resolution. What's your res set to?

I can't get the game to load and the TV to switch fast enough to see the Capcom label at all. The cassette menu is yellow until I "activate" it and then it's orange with yelllw text. Apart from the blacks, everything looks much better in HDR.

Did you adjust the blue/red slider in game options after setting max HDR brightness?

That should be yellow, not orange.

Yes I've adjusted that, nothing works. For sure things look better but the tint is off and crushed blacks are terrible.

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
Update:
Turned off shadow cache, put shadows to high and reflections to off, now I can hit 4K 60fps resolution scaling 1 with interlaced rendering. Hdr causes black crush and non hdr is still washed out

The playable area won't fill up the screen Unless at native res of 3840x2160.

Win 10 64bit
I7-3770k
16gb of ram
Newest nvidia drivers as of 1/24.

Dial it down some more?
Scratch what I said. I haven't found a happy place with my settings where the game doesn't come to a complete halt when turning corners.

Absolutely ridiculous performance from this game. The fuck.

Tried turning off shadow cache, lowering everything, reflections off, still these constant framerate drops when the game's like loading in a new area or something. One of these times I'm gonna turn a corner and die because of it.

Woah that gap between the 960 and 970 is huge...

Surprised the 1050 ti AND 1050 beat the 960.

I wonder how awful this game would run on my 670... lol

Is there a memory leak in this game or something? I can play it for about 30-45 mins before it starts stuttering like crazy and becomes basically unplayable. Area independent, I can load the same area after an autosave after alt-f4'ing and it's fine.
I'm having similar issues. Game runs really smoothly and then suddenly after an hour of play it goes to shit to the point I need to hard close the game.

Hopefully it gets fixed soon.

That should be yellow, not orange.

Yes I've adjusted that, nothing works. For sure things look better but the tint is off and crushed blacks are terrible.

How do we know it's supposed to be yellow? I mean, could a design choice not have been made to have it display orange in HDR?

Definitely some memory leak going on here. Regardless of my resolution/texture settings, and even with the new drivers, the game runs flawlessly for 40-ish minutes and then starts to have massive lag spikes whenever I turn a corner or a scripted sequence begins.

I had zero issues running the notoriously demanding Dishonored 2 on this same PC just a month ago, so it isn't the 970 that's to blame.

I turned off shadow cache because some Steam users are saying it's the source of the leak. I'll play for a while longer and see if it changes anything.

Edit: Nope. Shadow Cache wasn't it.

Top Bottom