• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 - PC Performance Thread

ISee

Is the TAA method in the final game any different than the demo, and is there a sharpness filter toggle?

Just downloaded and installed new nvidia drivers and currently downloading the game. Appears to be quite small. 19.7gb.

No differences between the demo and the game atm. It runs and looks the same.

ISee

Just messed around with the AA settings again..

Do not play with TAA on unless you just like everything blurry. It looks awful. Just FXAA looks better imo, SMAA looks the best. SMAA and CA off is the best way to go if you want a clean(er) looking picture.

Personally I think the game looks great, very detailed and realistic as well. Drops down to 40 @ 2x resolution scale (1080p) in the area that I'm in so not really playable. My settings are

1.5x res scale (native 1080p)
everything max (hbao+ as well)
SMAA
CA - OFF
vsync on @ 60hz

gtx 1080, 6700k - maintaining 60fps no drops or stutters.

I've pretty much posted my thoughts on the AA 2 or 3x now. I just think it ought to be in the first post, about how awful the AA implementations are.

I like TAA and CA. No distracting aliasing and the CA is pretty subtle.

I wouldn't say no to some degree of sharpening though.

I'm in the same boat. TAA was a big no-no the first time I encountered it, but now I actually like it. I also noticed that higher resolutions (1440p+) tend to look less blurry then e.g. 1080p.
I'm right now playing at 1440p + 1.2 (3072x1728?) and TAA. It's not perfect and slight sharpening could most probably help but I like the smooth and 'calm' IQ I'm getting.

AlanOC91

Just started and I'm outside. Feels like if I look at the ground and try quickly look up that its a bit stuttery and..like fighting against me?

I just checked and I'm not losing frames. Only happens when using the right analogue stick. Anyone else experience this?

nkarafo

It's all over guys. Sell your 1080s and convert to last gen AMD technology.
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/resident_evil_7_pc_graphics_performance_benchmark_review,6.html
index.php
index.php
Wut?

Why is the 960 so abysmal? Hell, even the 1050 is much faster in this game? And the 1060 is 4 times faster?

The demo was 60fps for me with high settings.

Nezacant

Thought the port was solid, sorry some of you are having issues. No stuttering, no lag, no borked effects on my rig - 3570K @ 4.5GHZ, GTX 1080 FTW, 16GB Ram

HDR - Anyone know how to get HDR to work with NVIDIA cards? Everytime I plug my desktop via HDMI to my 4K TV, the signal won't be read unless I disable HDR on the TV. HDR works for my PS4, so idk what the issue is. As far as I know, my HDMI cord is the latest compliance.

You need to set your "Output Color Depth" to 10bit. This setting is located in Nvidia Control Panel under the resolution setting. You might also need to change your digital color format to something like YCbCr 420.

What model television are you using?

Amirnol

With capped 60fps on, the game runs great and consistently. However the voice dialogue is way off sync. I switched to variable framerate and it fixed the audio issue, however the framerate is noticeably inconsistent now. Anyone experience this? Any advice?

GTX 970 here.

Nezacant

I'm playing in 4k and the highest refresh rate I can set is 29.97Hz. It feels very strange when playing.
Any ideas?

Is your refresh rate set to 60hz in Nvidia Control Panel/AMD CCC?

Can a 1080 do 4K/60fps with no AA?

You would still have to turn down other settings for reliable frame rate but it's probably achievable. I only had around 15 minutes to mess around with settings before heading to work however. Just enough time to make sure HDR was working.

A new driver has been released since then as well so I look forward to seeing what the 1080 can do.

nkarafo

6 pages in and it seems i'm the only one with a mid range card...

Come on guys, isn't there anyone testing on anything lower than a 970?

Unai

With capped 60fps on, the game runs great and consistently. However the voice dialogue is way off sync. I switched to variable framerate and it fixed the audio issue, however the framerate is noticeably inconsistent now. Anyone experience this? Any advice?

GTX 970 here.

Try capping the frame rate with Rivatuner Statistic Server. It's usually the best way to do it.

finalflame

You would still have to turn down other settings for reliable frame rate but it's probably achievable. I only had around 15 minutes to mess around with settings before heading to work however. Just enough time to make sure HDR was working.

A new driver has been released since then as well so I look forward to seeing what the 1080 can do.

Makes sense! Was just reading the Guru3D benchmarks:

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/resident_evil_7_pc_graphics_performance_benchmark_review,7.html

And it still looks like the Titan XP is the gold standard for 4K/60, with the 1080 clocking in at 46fps average at 4K/Max preset.

ISee

30fps? Trying to figure out whether to get this on my Pro on on PC..

Nah 60. But resolutions aren't set in stone on PS4/pro. They are dynamic so nobody really knows for now. settings are also under max pc settings (e.g. no hbao+, which is rather taxing in RE7).

What are your specs?

Piggus

30fps? Trying to figure out whether to get this on my Pro on on PC..

Nah 60. But resolutions aren't set in stone on PS4/pro. They are dynamic so nobody really knows for now. settings are also under max pc settings (e.g. no hbao+, which is rather taxing in RE7).

What are your specs?

If the demo is anything to go by, I didn't notice any resolution drops. It has very clean IQ. Not sure how other effects differ though.

nkarafo

Nah 60. But resolutions aren't set in stone on PS4/pro. They are dynamic so nobody really knows for now.
Will i be able to play with the same settings/frame rate/resolution as a regular PS4?

I have an i5 4670, 16GB and a GTX 960 2GB. My setup is much more powerful than a regular PS4 but the benchmarks above suggest the game is literally unplayable with my setup, not even managing 30fps @ 1080p. This is crazy if true. GTA4 PC level of crazy.

KainXVIII

Ok I discovered the reason, turning ON shadow cache completely degrades performance. Turning it off gives me smooth locked 60 fps at all times.

So its like in demo, too bad that its not fixed or somehow noted that it degraded performance for not high-end card

dr_rus

Wut?

Why is the 960 so abysmal? Hell, even the 1050 is much faster in this game? And the 1060 is 4 times faster?

The demo was 60fps for me with high settings.

From the article:
A bit of a mess ...

Yes the results are all over the place. The game can jump from 100 to 50 FPS in no time. The frame-drops are massive making the FPS recordings very difficult. We also see very weird behaviour for the Fury series and for Nvidia the GTX 970/980 the results have been so weird that we cannot trust a steady FPS mark, hence we left them out. It is weird to observe among many other things. The good news though with all the performance differences, the overall framerate is easily above the 40 FPS marker, so the weird FPS fluctuations for pretty much any card are at a speed that you will hardly notice it, at 1080P that is.

tesqui

Feels good that my rx480 is tearing shit up in this game. Doesn't happen often. It's weird cause it's being advertised as a Nvidia game.

finalflame

What are your specs?

i7-7700K/GTX 1080 @ 2100mhz/32GB DDR4-4000mhz.

Generally I'd expect it to run better on PC, but just trying to figure out whether the PC version has any glaring performance issues and whatnot. Also, does the inclusion of HDR effectively make this the first HDR PC game? I think RotTR was supposed to get it but hadn't last I checked.

brau

So ready!

Question time, maybe i missed as i skim through the OP.

But does the game support HDR at launch? Also Native 4k? The Demo ran incredibly well in my rig in 4k, and im expecting the same good performance here but with HDR.

Nezacant

Yes.
I have a 980Ti and the latest driver.

Hmm... When selecting a resolution in game are there multiple selections for 3840x2160? Sometimes there will be more than one, 3840x2160 @30 and 3840x2160 @60 for example.

It's hard to trouble shoot this from work and not sitting in front of my rig. :p

So ready!

Question time, maybe i missed as i skim through the OP.

But does the game support HDR at launch? Also Native 4k? The Demo ran incredibly well in my rig in 4k, and im expecting the same good performance here but with HDR.

Yes, HDR is working.

Just messed around with the AA settings again..

Do not play with TAA on unless you just like everything blurry. It looks awful. Just FXAA looks better imo, SMAA looks the best. SMAA and CA off is the best way to go if you want a clean(er) looking picture.

Personally I think the game looks great, very detailed and realistic as well. Drops down to 40 @ 2x resolution scale (1080p) in the area that I'm in so not really playable. My settings are

1.5x res scale (native 1080p)
everything max (hbao+ as well)
SMAA
CA - OFF
vsync on @ 60hz

gtx 1080, 6700k - maintaining 60fps no drops or stutters.

I've pretty much posted my thoughts on the AA 2 or 3x now. I just think it ought to be in the first post, about how awful the AA implementations are.

1.5x res scale is native 1080p? Not 1x scale? Is this accurate?

Corpsepyre

Banned
Ok, I don't know about this HDR business. I just want to run this on a 1080p monitor without HDR. Can I do that without things looking washed out, blurry or what have you? Am I Ok here?

Afro

Getting absolutely zero stutter w/ my 980 Ti, i7 3770 combo @ 1440p on ultra. Locked 60fps. Only about an hour in though. Shadow cache off, shadow qual High, textures High.

edit: some slight stutters/hitches here and there after dinner scene. Nothing too crazy though.

Will i be able to play with the same settings/frame rate/resolution as a regular PS4?

I have an i5 4670, 16GB and a GTX 960 2GB. My setup is much more powerful than a regular PS4 but the benchmarks above suggest the game is literally unplayable with my setup, not even managing 30fps @ 1080p. This is crazy if true. GTA4 PC level of crazy.

I have a 4690k and 960 2gb and ran it at max with shadows and textures at high at 1080/30 with only a few dips. After
the dinner scene
it started to stutter a lot more so going to try dropping some settings. Geforce Experience recommends textures at very high which surprised me.

Nezacant

Ok, I don't know about this HDR business. I just want to run this on a 1080p monitor without HDR. Can I do that without things looking washed out, blurry or what have you? Am I Ok here?

HDR is only present in 4k displays (to my knowledge) and provides wider color gamut support. Your game will look fine in 1080P. You are ok here. :)

ISee

Probably on a mix of medium/high settings and SSAO instead of hbao+. Just download the demo on steam, performance isn't that different.

i7-7700K/GTX 1080 @ 2100mhz/32GB DDR4-4000mhz.

Generally I'd expect it to run better on PC, but just trying to figure out whether the PC version has any glaring performance issues and whatnot. Also, does the inclusion of HDR effectively make this the first HDR PC game? I think RotTR was supposed to get it but hadn't last I checked.

Shadow Warrior 2 was the first PC HDR game.
I'm running a 6700k @ 4.6, 16 gb ddr4 @ 3100 and a 1070 @ 2038 core clock and 9542mhz vram clock. I'm playing the game at max settings, 1440p + 1.2 resolution (so slightly under 1800p) locked at 60fps. You PC is ~ 30% faster.

Here is a short video of the game running on my setup (just 1440p though). The stutter is from shadowplay recording on an old 2TB HDD. The game has pretty good frame pacing. GPU load is between 60-80% so there is enough headroom left.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w78nqUNzUDY

Sure. There is an SMAA, FXAA and resolution scaling option. sRGB doesn't look bad imo (1440p/TAA/sRGB).

Nezacant

This is the best news if true.

WOOOOOOOOOHOOO!!!

It was the first thing I did when I woke up this morning. I never purchased Shadow Warrior 2 so this is my first HDR supported game on my PC. I can verify that my Samsung KS8000 notified me that "An HDR Video is playing" when I started the game.

brau

It was the first thing I did when I woke up this morning. I never purchased Shadow Warrior 2 so this is my first HDR supported game on my PC. I can verify that my Samsung KS8000 notified me that "An HDR Video is playing" when I started the game.

SW2 in HDR is really cool looking.

So excited that this game supports HDR at launch.

Zeneric

I have a strange issue, game runs at 100+ fps, then sometimes when I load performance goes down the drain and it starts to chug at 20fps or so, same location, same video settings. Could it be a memory leak?

Yea, it's a bug. Happened to me. Looks like restarting the game fixes it.

drotahorror

I'm in the same boat. TAA was a big no-no the first time I encountered it, but now I actually like it. I also noticed that higher resolutions (1440p+) tend to look less blurry then e.g. 1080p.
I'm right now playing at 1440p + 1.2 (3072x1728?) and TAA. It's not perfect and slight sharpening could most probably help but I like the smooth and 'calm' IQ I'm getting.

Hmm, I much prefer this - https://abload.de/img/20170124141152_1ybqbb.jpg

Your gamma/brightness is very high or mine is very low.

1.5x res scale is native 1080p? Not 1x scale? Is this accurate?

I was just saying my native res is 1080p. I'm running 1.5 res scale @ 1080p native.

Yea, it's a bug. Happened to me. Looks like restarting the game fixes it.

Try changing resolution then back to what you had it as. I noticed this happened when I alt tabbed a bit ago.

ISee

Hmm, I much prefer this - https://abload.de/img/20170124141152_1ybqbb.jpg

Your gamma/brightness is very high or mine is very low.

Your screen is mostly dark on my display, I can barely see anything there (my display should be sRGB calibrated... ... but whatever). You're playing at 2880x1620 + SMAA and I'm at 3072x1722 + TAA. The thing is I'm on a native 1440p screen and 3072x1722 (1.2 resolution scale) + smaa is to noisy imo but everything above isn't doable at 60fps.
Still I'm satisfied with my IQ and you are satisfied with your IQ and settings. That's the beauty of PC gaming, we can make decision based on our own preferences.

drotahorror

Your screen is mostly dark on my display, I can barely see anything there (my display should be sRGB calibrated... ... but whatever). You're playing at 2880x1620 + SMAA and I'm at 3072x1722 + TAA. The thing is I'm on a native 1440p screen and 3072x1722 (1.2 resolution scale) + smaa is to noisy imo but everything above isn't doable at 60fps.
Still I'm satisfied with my IQ and you are satisfied with your IQ and settings. That's the beauty of PC gaming, we can make decision based on our own preferences.

True yea it's all good. I'm sure having a 1440p display helps things as well. I felt like TAA looked awful in Dishonored 2 as well. I want to say Deus Ex MD had it too and I didn't care for it.

ISee

True yea it's all good. I'm sure having a 1440p display helps things as well. I felt like TAA looked awful in Dishonored 2 as well. I want to say Deus Ex MD had it too and I didn't care for it.

Yes, Deus Ex MD had a very aggressive TAA and an even worse sharpening filter.

Arkanius

Running at 1440p
around 90-100 FPS

980 Ti
Everything maxed (reflections set to variable)
Motion Blur off
HBAO+ on

Very happy with the performance and game.

Top Bottom