• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 - PC Performance Thread

BizzyBum

No. VR support is exclusive to PSVR for a year. Capcom, like Squeenix, has something of a penchant for unnecessarily accepting bags of money.

Son of a...

That sucks. Oh well, probably will save me from an early heart attack anyway.

beavermatic

Neo Member
running this on a win10, 5960x @ 4.5ghz, (2x) Titan X-Pascal's in SLI (though the game doesn't seem to use SLI as of current), at 4k (3840x2160).

Performance is fine until I switch to SMAA, then it runs like ass in certain areas.

Textures in game look very low-res, especially outdoors and on certain things indoor. If I up the resolution scale any higher than 1, it murders framerate, but does increase texture quality.

However, I note that at a resolution scale of 1, and even though my resolution is set to 3840x2160, it doesn't at all seem like the game engine is actually running at that res. It appears to do the same as, say, Quantum Break does for PC (or as it initially did), where it's still rendering at a far lower native resolution internally and only upscaling that to my native desktop resolution.

I say this because aliasing and texture quality is far lower than it should be for a in-game 4k resolution setting. It's as if the engine is actually running internally at 720p and upscaling to 3840x2160 (like Quantum Break).

thus implying its a shoddy console port.

Game looks fun though, just ruins the immersion when it looks rather lackluster from low-res textures.

pa22word

Is there a memory leak in this game or something? I can play it for about 30-45 mins before it starts stuttering like crazy and becomes basically unplayable. Area independent, I can load the same area after an autosave after alt-f4'ing and it's fine.

Also, to the dude asking about the FOV: there's an ini in the game directory that has two different FOV settings (FOV and playerFOV). I bet you can play around with that and make it as wide as you want.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Can someone give me the definitive settings for HDR. Is it ok to use 422 or does it have to be 420? Is it ok to use 12 bit or does it have to be 10 bit? I'm referring to my settings in NVidia control panel

Javier23

Banned
running this on a win10, 5960x @ 4.5ghz, (2x) Titan X-Pascal's in SLI (though the game doesn't seem to use SLI as of current), at 4k (3840x2160).

Performance is fine until I switch to SMAA, then it runs like ass in certain areas.

Textures in game look very low-res, especially outdoors and on certain things indoor. If I up the resolution scale any higher than 1, it murders framerate, but does increase texture quality.

However, I note that at a resolution scale of 1, and even though my resolution is set to 3840x2160, it doesn't at all seem like the game engine is actually running at that res. It appears to do the same as, say, Quantum Break does for PC (or as it initially did), where it's still rendering at a far lower native resolution internally and only upscaling that to my native desktop resolution.

I say this because aliasing and texture quality is far lower than it should be for a in-game 4k resolution setting. It's as if the engine is actually running internally at 720p and upscaling to 3840x2160 (like Quantum Break).

thus implying its a shoddy console port.

Game looks fun though, just ruins the immersion when it looks rather lackluster from low-res textures.
Are you playing with interlaced rendering? Set it to normal.

psp12345

Hmm... When selecting a resolution in game are there multiple selections for 3840x2160? Sometimes there will be more than one, 3840x2160 @30 and 3840x2160 @60 for example.

It's hard to trouble shoot this from work and not sitting in front of my rig. :p

Yes, HDR is working.
3840x2160. Tried with vsync on and off, 30, 60 and variable fps.

If I set the resolution to 1920x1080 I can set 59.97Hz.

Strange.

It's all over guys. Sell your 1080s and convert to last gen AMD technology.
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/resident_evil_7_pc_graphics_performance_benchmark_review,6.html
index.php
index.php

I have a 980, what would it be comparable to on that graph?

I have one of those fake ass HDR TVs, problem is this game likes to activate the fake HDR of my TV. So my TV settings change but that's not really the issue, it's when this game is in HDR mode it looked horrible, like everything became weird bright brown and crushed blacks. So I of course turned off HDR and then it went super bright, changing the brightness in game all the way low I don't get anywhere close to making the coin be not visable. So I had to manually lower the brightness of the TV.

It seems to look ok now but I really don't have a basis as to what this game is supposed to look like. I don't know if I am still too bright or is the lighting off.

beavermatic

Neo Member
Are you playing with interlaced rendering? Set it to normal.

Tried both, interlaced looks a tadbit worse than normal, but provides a seemingly higher framerate if I up the resolution multiplier. But for now, running it at normal, 1x res scale, all other settings maxed.

My guess would be between R9 470 and 1070, but I'm an amateur

Found out why they left it out

We also see very weird behaviour for the Fury series and for Nvidia the GTX 970/980 the results have been so weird that we cannot trust a steady FPS mark, hence we left them out.

That's discouraging. In the demo I got drops from 60 right down to 20something for no reason when turning in certain areas. Just assumed it was a bug.

Nezacant

3840x2160. Tried with vsync on and off, 30, 60 and variable fps.

If I set the resolution to 1920x1080 I can set 59.97Hz.

Strange.

Are you connected to a television? I actually had this problem once with an LG 4k. I got around it by creating a custom resolution in Nvidia Control Panel.

Erebus

Am I better off using the in-game resolution scaler or choosing a resolution created by nvidia DSR if I want the game to render at a higher resolution than the one my display supports?

Ive got a 970/i5-6500

Any idea of how id fare?
My 1070 upgrade isnt until next month

This game has problems on a 970. I get huge fps drops and almost like full area loads when moving around. Spinning around in a circle drops a ton of frames. The card fans kick up pretty fast.

GTX970
i5-4690K
16gb RAM
Windows 10
Newest drivers that came out today.

Everything running 60fps steady without any hitching with all settings up except textures were on High instead of Very High.

There's lots of shimmering though (looks like it was way too sharp, for example
Mia's hair
and shadows were somewhat screendoor patterned but that seemed to disappear after fiddling with the settings some more.

What is the recommended AA and Ambient Occlusion settings? I think I have FXAA and HBOA+ at the moment.

This game has problems on a 970. I get huge fps drops and almost like full area loads when moving around. Spinning around in a circle drops a ton of frames. The card fans kick up pretty fast.

Yup this is exactly what I saw in the demo on my 980. Turning quickly drops the framerate in half.

Have you tried turning off blur?

Afro

Also, to the dude asking about the FOV: there's an ini in the game directory that has two different FOV settings (FOV and playerFOV). I bet you can play around with that and make it as wide as you want.

My game won't launch when I edit those lol. Am I doing something wrong? You also have to set FovHackEnable=false to FovHackEnable=true, correct? Not working. Game crashes on start.

edit: yeah, people on Steam forums are saying the game crashes on startup when editing the FOV values.

MazeHaze

Banned
5.1 surround sound doesn't seem to be working. Any way to get it to work?

Had this same issue. After changing game settings that caused about 15 crashes and 4 complete system lock ups that caused me to reboot, I launched the game and 5.1 just worked.

I have no idea.

Can't even play. It just freezes at the create a new save screen. I looked around and it seems like a common issue with no workaround. Great.

Nezacant

Yes a Samsung TV (JS8005).
I don't have this issue with other games.

Damn. Well, try a custom res anyway. I game on a KS8000 and before one firmware updates, the television wouldn't properly report all supported resolutions properly. So try a firmware update as well? Running out of ideas here.

I haven't had a chance to really dive into the RE7 setting yet either but maybe there is something that is set that is locking you at 30fps?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Im getting some huge frame drops now in the
manor
part (thats like 2 hours in if that but still), any usual subjects to turn down to help with this?

ISee

First 1080p benchmarks from pcgh.de
A GTX 670 is able to reach 70-90 fps on low settings at 1080p according to them.
They also recommend to deactivate shadow cache on cards with 4 or less gb of vram (benchmark was done with deactivated shadow cache).

Yes I was.

Again I'm talking about my demo experience - I haven't bought the full game yet

That combination dips the frames per second to 30fps if your FPS dips under 60 (say 59.something) even for fraction of a second and then takes time to recover back. The ways to avoid this is to (approx.):

1) Use vsync with variable framerate with caps it to 60 without dropping
2) Use variable framerate and force vsync via Nvidia control panel
3) Use 60 frames locked but this might lead to screen tearing (or worse).

psp12345

Damn. Well, try a custom res anyway. I game on a KS8000 and before one firmware updates, the television wouldn't properly report all supported resolutions properly. So try a firmware update as well? Running out of ideas here.

I haven't had a chance to really dive into the RE7 setting yet either but maybe there is something that is set that is locking you at 30fps?
The TV has the latest firmware. I have gone through the game settings.

Thanks for your suggestions! I'm going to test a custom res tomorrow.

With capped 60fps on, the game runs great and consistently. However the voice dialogue is way off sync. I switched to variable framerate and it fixed the audio issue, however the framerate is noticeably inconsistent now. Anyone experience this? Any advice?

GTX 970 here.

I had this same issue on a 1080 running at 3840x2160 with VSYNC and a capped 60 FPS in HDR mode.

I capped it at 30 and that fixed the dialog issues, and it honestly seems to play perfectly fine at 30 FPS to me since it's not a real twitch game, but I may mess with using an external frame limiter and running it uncapped.

I also haven't updated to new drivers today, so I have no idea what impact that would have.

Enclose

So my GTX 980ti is at the Vram Limit at this Game.

It uses more than 6GB Vram and more than 16GB Page File for me. Incredible!

kromeo

I'm only on the menu but HDR completely changes the colours.. with it off all the text is white but it turns orange with it on..

What do I have to do to make this game not look awful on PC in video tape sections? I don't remember it looking like this on PS4 back then. Help?

dr_rus

First 1080p benchmarks from pcgh.de
A GTX 670 is able to reach 70-90 fps on low settings at 1080p according to them.
They also recommend to deactivate shadow cache on cards with 4 or less gb of vram (benchmark was done with deactivated shadow cache).

Yeah, PCGH.de results are more in line with what you'd expect: Resident Evil 7: Technik-Test mit Grafikkarten-Benchmarks - gruselig mit weniger als 4 GiB Grafikspeicher
Still, 480 is considerably ahead of 1060 which is surprising.

Top Bottom