• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 - PC Performance Thread

pa22word

It's here - http://store.steampowered.com/app/530620/ - not sure why they didn't use the "Download Demo" button that steam store pages sometimes have, such as - http://store.steampowered.com/app/418240.

Who needs logic, eh?

Take it up with valve.

Beginning hour isn't content that is in the game, and the way the steam store operates doesn't let you download a demo if you own the game already. Thus in order to keep it available to people who already purchased re7, they had to launch it as a f2p app and not a demo, requiring a separate page on the store.

The is some crazy shimmering effect going on around some of the shadows and textures, Ill try to capture it in a pic later, but it is driving me nuts. Its especially bad in the kitchen area within the first 5 minutes of the game.

Diancecht

Ugh those white dots are fucking ugly. Any way to get rid of them? I opened the fridge in the first area and got bombarded by these white dots they are everywhere!

Unkle

The is some crazy shimmering effect going on around some of the shadows and textures, Ill try to capture it in a pic later, but it is driving me nuts. Its especially bad in the kitchen area within the first 5 minutes of the game.

Ugh those white dots are fucking ugly. Any way to get rid of them? I opened the fridge in the first area and got bombarded by these white dots they are everywhere!

Try turning off 'Chromatic Aberration'.

Spinky

Pretty sure you need to put reflections to variable instead of on.

Or is it the other way around? One of those, anyway... I had the same problem before.

GRaider81

Try turning off 'Chromatic Aberration'.

Not sure if they mean the same effect but this is what i'm getting with CA on and off.

The shadows also shimmer when in movement

Nilc.png

Unai

GTX 970 with an i7 2700k here. The game is running between 90 and 130 FPS for me at 1080p. I've played through the
basement section
until I could save again.

Before started I set shadows to high instead of very high, turned-off HBAO+, frame rate unlimited, shadow cache off and v-sync off (since I'm using G-Sync).

Newboi

I may not be looking hard enough, but I'm not getting all of the shimmering other people are reporting. I have a GTX1080 if you need to know.

My Settings:

Resolution: 1920 x 1080
Resolution Scale: 1.7
Rendering Mode: Normal
Anti-Aliasing: FXAA + TAA
Ambient Occlusion: HBAO+
Chromatic Aberration: Off
Reflections: Variable
Everything Else: At the highest settings

I'm wondering if Normal rendering mode + TAA + Variable Reflections is the trick to reducing all the shimmering. Maybe internally rendering at a higher resolution fixes a lot of problems?

kAmui-

Any word on how it runs on gtx660? I know the minimum reqs say 760, but so did the demos and it ran pretty well on my machine.

Sanctuary

Err, this might sound like a really stupid question, but isn't this game supposed to be in 16:9? Either I just didn't notice, or something screwy just happened. I ended up going into a really shadowy area outside, and decided to turn up the brightness a tad just to see, and after two clicks, what I actually thought was just the bezel of my TV turned into a washed out grey. So now I have a bar on either side of the picture, kind of how you'd see a 4:3 image, but nowhere near that drastic. I don't even know what the hell aspect ratio this is.

edit:I just deleted the config file and it fixed the issue. No idea what could have possibly caused that, since I didn't change any in game options when messing with my brightness, and then it just decided to randomly do what the fuck ever.

chinoXL

Yeah really. Out of all games to not have 21:9, it has to be this one. Really hoping someone finds a fix for it soon, but probably wont be for a little while. Widescreen would be so damn good for this. Sigh.....

damn i was ready to buy this....will wait until 21:9 is setup..if not i'll get it on the PS4

GRaider81

I may not be looking hard enough, but I'm not getting all of the shimmering other people are reporting. I have a GTX1080 if you need to know.

My Settings:

Resolution: 1920 x 1080
Resolution Scale: 1.7
Rendering Mode: Normal
Anti-Aliasing: FXAA + TAA
Ambient Occlusion: HBAO+
Chromatic Aberration: Off
Reflections: Variable
Everything Else: At the highest settings

I'm wondering if Normal rendering mode + TAA + Variable Reflections is the trick to reducing all the shimmering. Maybe internally rendering at a higher resolution fixes a lot of problems?

FXAA + TAA actually does help a little i've found. I just hate the blurriness of it.

Id rather have sharp everything with shimmering shadows than blurry everything personally.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
I have a strange issue, game runs at 100+ fps, then sometimes when I load performance goes down the drain and it starts to chug at 20fps or so, same location, same video settings. Could it be a memory leak?

Unai

I have a strange issue, game runs at 100+ fps, then sometimes when I load performance goes down the drain and it starts to chug at 20fps or so, same location, same video settings. Could it be a memory leak?

That happend once to me in the demo. Might be a bug.

What are some thoughts on Scaling vs DSR. I always play at higher resolution with the scaling to 1. Would be better off setting to native resolution and going for higher scaling?

Nere

Same only way for me is to close the game and start it again. This game has a lot of issues hope a patch is on it's way.

Newboi

FXAA + TAA actually does help a little i've found. I just hate the blurriness of it.

Id rather have sharp everything with shimmering shadows than blurry everything personally.

If you downsample at or close to 4K, blurriness really isn't as much of a problem imo.

Mindman

To those playing with a controller, there's no way to hide the mouse cursor, is there? I'm guessing not, since Capcom seems to think having a mouse cursor on screen is useful when playing with a controller! lol

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
To those playing with a controller, there's no way to hide the mouse cursor, is there? I'm guessing not, since Capcom seems to think having a mouse cursor on screen is useful when playing with a controller! lol

I have no cursor, nd I noticed there was an option to lock the cursor to the screen, you might have that turned on?

Well, it's been running pretty well. 4K interlaced (for HDR) so 60fps and looks fine. Only I decided to change from interlaced to normal and it borked my PC. Complete black screen. Had to reboot PC.
No lag as my Samsung has Game Mode that runs with HDR on.
PC Spec - 1080, 4790k@4.4ghz, 16GB 2133mhz RAM, SDD.

Well, the cursor always pops up when making changes in the main menu. But I can move the cursor aside and out of sight.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Same only way for me is to close the game and start it again. This game has a lot of issues hope a patch is on it's way.

Even if I restart the game, I still get the same issue. Sometimes it works again if I restart the pc... Crazy.

Newboi

Are you running in Borderless Fullscreen mode? I was having issues with the game's framerate tanking randomly. I would have to Alt+Tab in and out to fix it for whatever reason. When I switched to dedicated Fullscreen mode, I didn't have that issue any more. Hopefully this helps somewhat.

Mindman

I have no cursor, nd I noticed there was an option to lock the cursor to the screen, you might have that turned on?

I have tried turning that on and off, no difference. You don't see a cursor at all?

Well, the cursor always pops up when making changes in the main menu. But I can move the cursor aside and out of sight.

That's what I've been doing also. Just a minor annoyance, but sure would be nice if Capcom just turned on auto hide when a controller was detected,

Newboi

What are some thoughts on Scaling vs DSR. I always play at higher resolution with the scaling to 1. Would be better off setting to native resolution and going for higher scaling?

I believe they both deliver comparable result. The biggest difference would be that actually setting the resolution higher will activate the driver based down-sampling, which in Nvidia's case is DSR. DSR allows you to use the Gaussian Blur filter, which modifying the internal resolution scale has no barring on.

I personally prefer just setting the resolution to native and using the internal resolution scale. I don't have to worry about any jank that comes from switching between game and desktop resolution. I also personally think that the results of downsampling using a non-standard resolution scale is better with internal scaling vs driver based downsampling.

I'm not an expert though, so I wouldn't be able to give technically definitive answer.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Are you running in Borderless Fullscreen mode? I was having issues with the game's framerate tanking randomly. I would have to Alt+Tab in and out to fix it for whatever reason. When I switched to dedicated Fullscreen mode, I didn't have that issue any more. Hopefully this helps somewhat.

I'm running fullscreen. I thought maybe it was negative SLI scaling or GSYNC related, but I get the same issue when both are disabled.

Yeah, the game will give a black screen if certain changes to graphics are made in the main menu, on the start screen or in game (and can only be fixed with a reboot of the PC). This is not good and needs to be fixed.

Sky87

Anyone else with a MSI Gaming X 1070 and the latest driver experiencing this?

http://i.imgur.com/bDbFZUo.png

Basically, Debug mode is selected by default, and can't be turned off. Tried using DDU and reinstalling, still there.

Clocks seem to be the same, Core still boosts to around 1974mhz.

Jin

I had this issue with a couple of games (especially Dark Souls 3) and can't figure out what the problem is. It's definetly not the game itself because it happened with different titles.

Anybody?

What's your monitor's refresh rate? Are the games you've played locked to 60fps?

I didn't get black screen with this game, but I know for Dark Souls 3 if your refresh rate is higher than 120hz (i.e 144, 165hz) you sometimes get a black screen after exiting. This problem seem to only happen to games that's locked to 60fps. I get this problem too with RE4 HD. Only way to fix it is to drop my refresh rate to 120hz. It's a weird problem.

drotahorror

Just messed around with the AA settings again..

Do not play with TAA on unless you just like everything blurry. It looks awful. Just FXAA looks better imo, SMAA looks the best. SMAA and CA off is the best way to go if you want a clean(er) looking picture.

Personally I think the game looks great, very detailed and realistic as well. Drops down to 40 @ 2x resolution scale (1080p) in the area that I'm in so not really playable. My settings are

1.5x res scale (native 1080p)
everything max (hbao+ as well)
SMAA
CA - OFF
vsync on @ 60hz

gtx 1080, 6700k - maintaining 60fps no drops or stutters.

I've pretty much posted my thoughts on the AA 2 or 3x now. I just think it ought to be in the first post, about how awful the AA implementations are.

Is the TAA method in the final game any different than the demo, and is there a sharpness filter toggle?

Just downloaded and installed new nvidia drivers and currently downloading the game. Appears to be quite small. 19.7gb.

Zedox

Apparently there were some launch issues with the Windows Store version (a phone home thing...on Capcom servers) and it seems to be fixed. Anyone else still having issues, I know one person did.

Top Bottom