• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 - PC Performance Thread

Spinky

I'm getting fairly significant framedrops when I go past specific areas, kind of annoying. Have tinkered with some stuff and nothing's solved it yet.

Grassy

Game is running pretty damn good for me. Shrunk down these 4k Screenshots to not kill people's bandwidths.

4K / FXAA+TAA / HBAO+ Everything else maxed. Getting 78-80 outside.

Same settings except I set resolution scaling to 1.1 which knocked out down from 83 FPS to 68FPS

PC specs?

tuna_love

Banned
im getting random stutters, maybe do to with streaming, and the textures might be worse than gears 4
other than that its running over 100fps

I'm getting fairly significant framedrops when I go past specific areas, kind of annoying. Have tinkered with some stuff and nothing's solved it yet.

Same, get bad stuttering and freezes when rounding certain corners no matter if I've been there before, the long hallway leading to the main house foyer and anytime returning to the foyer leads to the freezes. Hoping for new drivers and a patch cause it's kind of unplayable for me rn :/

970 8 gb 3570k @ 3.5

dlauv

970 and getting extreme stutter. Made a good time go bad. Had to shut it off.

Motion Blur, Off
SSAO
Shadows, High
FXAA+TAA

h00jraq

Neo Member

Motion Blur, Off
SSAO
Shadows, High
FXAA+TAA

Hmm that is really bad news. I also have 970 and demo was quite ok for me. I do not think that I can play with stuttering. Anyone else with 970 here?

Rizific

Performance is pretty good on my rig. 6600k, 1070, 16gb ram. 80-120fps at 1440p depending on scenery, all settings maxed, ssao, fxaa, motion blur off. However, after I finished my session and went to quit I got an unresponsive black screen. Alt tab or ctrl alt del both didn't work. Same issue I had at times with doom.

Bl@de

Performance is pretty good on my rig. 6600k, 1070, 16gb ram. 80-120fps at 1440p depending on scenery, all settings maxed, ssao, fxaa, motion blur off. However, after I finished my session and went to quit I got an unresponsive black screen. Alt tab or ctrl alt del both didn't work. Same issue I had at times with doom.

I had this issue with a couple of games (especially Dark Souls 3) and can't figure out what the problem is. It's definetly not the game itself because it happened with different titles.

Anybody?

Unkle

I had this issue with a couple of games (especially Dark Souls 3) and can't figure out what the problem is. It's definetly not the game itself because it happened with different titles.

Anybody?

No solution on my end, just thought I'd throw my hat in and say I've had similar issues with both Dark Souls III and DOOM. Seems better now but it can still happen the odd time. Haven't started Resident Evil VII yet so fingers crossed it doesn't happen to me, though I do have similar enough specs to Rizific.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
So setting RE7 priority to High in control panel lessens the stuttering, but does not fix it.

Game runs perfectly fine until those hitches. Going to test some things with cores now.

100% can confirm it has NOTHING to do with the settings. Turned everything to the lowest possible, didn't do a thing.

Was no stuttering in the first area, but was in the second area.

venom473

Hmm that is really bad news. I also have 970 and demo was quite ok for me. I do not think that I can play with stuttering. Anyone else with 970 here?

I've played about 45 minutes with a 970 on medium settings, 60fps without any drops so far. Demo ran fine for me as well.

ISee

To the people with stuttering on 970s. Try lowering texture quality, at very high the game fills up to 7.2gb @ 1080p on my 1070. Of course maybe it is just reserving so much memory because of reasons and not using it, but it still might be worth a try.

1080p said:
re7_2017_01_24_10_48_awapp.png

edit: uses 8gb @ 1440p + 1.1 render scaling (2816x1584?)

edit 2:
Textures aren't thrilling anyway, not matter the settings.

RikkTheGaijin

Capcom Artist
So setting RE7 priority to High in control panel lessens the stuttering, but does not fix it.

Game runs perfectly fine until those hitches. Going to test some things with cores now.

100% can confirm it has NOTHING to do with the settings. Turned everything to the lowest possible, didn't do a thing.

Was no stuttering in the first area, but was in the second area.

Turn On The texture cache. Than, go back to MAIN MENU and from there change the texture size to medium

RS4-

Gonna boot this up later, ugly to hear about the whole 4k HDR garbage as that's what I'll be playing on lol.

Thanks Capcom.

ubiblu

Motion Blur, Off
SSAO
Shadows, High
FXAA+TAA

Make sure you set pre-rendered frames to 1 and vsync on in the nvidia control panel (global settings).

I'm not too far in yet, but comfortably sitting on very high everything with no stutter or slowdown on minimal MSI Afterburner OC 970.

Sanctuary

So a bit more tinkering and I've discovered:

If you want hdr, you have to run in 4k.
If you run below 4k with hdr you get a tiny window in the middle of a black screen.

If you want non hdr and you have an hdr tv? Too fucking bad, the game will tell your tv that its running in hdr even when you turn hdr off in the options. This leads to an extremely washed out image.

So basically, if youre using a 4k hdr tv, your ONLY option is to run it at 4k with HDR.

What a piece of shit.

Yep, this is annoying the hell out of me. I can't even play it on my TV without HDR, because my TV "detects" HDR and forces it on and the picture looks like absolute fucking garbage when you disable it in game as you said. Also, I don't know if it's just my TV or the game, but it has really bad banding at the start in the video segment. Selecting 12-bit in the graphics card options doesn't do anything for it.

Also, does anyone know what's up with the sparkle effect that makes it look like glitter is scattered all over the house? That shit is super annoying, and I can't seem to get rid of it through any of the options.

xVodevil

With the demo I've instantly noticed, that almost maxed out, this game easily hits the 4Gb top with the 970, and we know that card isn't famous for it's maximum VRAM capacity... I will play around based on this, to cut down the VRAM usage to 3,5 gigs.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Running on an i5 6600 boosted to 3.8 GHz, GTX 1080, 16 GB RAM, on a Samsung 4k TV.

I have everything maxed out, except HBAO+ and I have those variable reflections. I've got the frames capped at 30 to ensure a nice, smooth ride even though it's been hovering between 40-60 most of the time. Game runs like a champ. HDR is nice but when I try to turn it off everything is all white and washed out.

Also might have been Steam error but anyone else having issues taking screenshots?

Kard8p3

Is anyone else dealing with audio desync? Any idea how to fix? I have an i7-6700K, gtx 1070 sc with 16 gb ram

edit: seems to have fixed itself when i lowered the resolution scaling

KainXVIII

To the people with stuttering on 970s. Try lowering texture quality, at very high the game fills up to 7.2gb @ 1080p on my 1070. Of course maybe it is just reserving so much memory because of reasons and not using it, but it still might be worth a try.

edit: uses 8gb @ 1440p + 1.1 render scaling (2816x1584?)

edit 2:
Textures aren't thrilling anyway, not matter the settings.

No way this crappy textures can eat 8gb of vram o_O It must be some kind of shadow or texture cache..

Man... Looks like Capcom never resolved the CPU issue that people were having since the demo. I'm running an i7 2600K with a GTX 970 and I still can't run the game. It crashes once I get out of the main menu..

I've updated my graphics card drivers recently. 376.33

EDIT: Supposedly, the game doeesn't support CPUs with SSL 4.1 but my processor has both SSL 4.1 and 4.2..

Scroll down to Advanced Technologies category

nkarafo

Anyone can test the game with a mid-range card?

Like a 770 or 960?

I only have a 960 2GB. But the demo was smooth enough (60fps) at high settings + 1080p. I don't care about higher resolutions. Recommended system requirements state a 3GB card so i assume this game doesn't need too much VRAM?

pavachan

Neo Member
I have my PC (i7 4790, gtx 980 Ti latest drv) connected with HDMI to a normal TV. Not 4K and not HDR.

At first when i started the game, everything was ok, HDR was greyed out in-game. However after I restarted the PC, the game seems to turn on HDR mode, making brightness seem wrong, and turning HDR off manually makes everything super bright and washed out :/

The .ini file seems to have an HDRMode setting set to 0.

Is there anything that can be done to disable HDR being detected?

Zaph

Started the game and everything was great, was getting 80-100fps (980ti, Gsync, 1080p, everything maxed).

But after watching the first tape, when the gameplay returned to normal the frame rate steadily starts dropping. Fought
Mia
at 14fps. And idea what's causing this? GPU utilisation stays at 99%-100%.

mario_O

Started the game and everything was great, was getting 80-100fps (980ti, Gsync, 1080p, everything maxed).

But after watching the first tape, when the gameplay returned to normal the frame rate steadily starts dropping. Fought
Mia
at 14fps. And idea what's causing this? GPU utilisation stays at 99%-100%.

It's a bug, I had the same problem. Change your resolution to something else, then back to 1080p.

Running good so far, 60fps all the time, at 2560*1440p everything maxed out with a 980Ti.

What's the difference between color space BT709 and sRGB? is it 16-235 vs 0-255?

Atolm

Anyone tried switching between Interlace and Normal rendering methods? Interlace seems to add some kind of weird noise effect.

Spinky

Why is hair jagged as all hell even with FXAA + TAA on? Mia's looks awful for me, I just watched some PS4 gameplay and it didn't look like this.
EDIT:
Anyone tried switching between Interlace and Normal rendering methods? Interlace seems to add some kind of weird noise effect.
...OK, well, I switched interlaced to normal and now it looks fine.

Mister Wolf

Running the game in 4k then dropping the internal renderer down till I could lock it at 60fps was the key to fixing all my issues with the HDR. Now everything looks great. I had to drop it down to .8 of 2160p

scitek

I was getting 45fps in 4k with a GTX 1080...

So I tried dropping the resolution, and it's not scaling to fullscreen properly. I can't seem to get it to work right, either. I've tried messing with the scaling settings in Nvidia Control Panel. Anyone else having the problem?

EDIT: ^^ I'll try scaling down using the in-game option. Hadn't thought of that. Still weird.

Atolm

Why is hair jagged as all hell even with FXAA + TAA on? Mia's looks awful for me, I just watched some PS4 gameplay and it didn't look like this.
EDIT:

...OK, well, I switched interlaced to normal and now it looks fine.

I guess the point if Interlaced mode is trying to emulate the look of old CRT TVs? But it looks really bad imo. It's not a proper noise effect, it just pixelates everything.

Sanctuary

Running the game in 4k then dropping the internal renderer down till I could lock it at 60fps was the key to fixing all my issues with the HDR. Now everything looks great. I had to drop it down to .8 of 2160p

I did the same thing a while ago, and I'm able to run the game at 60fps now. I'm still getting this really horrible case of pixel shimmering though. It's fucking everywhere in the game, and it's so bad that it's absolutely ruining the presentation. It literally looks like someone threw up glitter on any "wet" surface that is supposed to be shiny.

Top Bottom