• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 7 Review Thread

RoyalFool

Banned
How's the psvr?

If your into horror, it's a complete game changer. If your of weak nerves then you're unfortunately going to miss out on the psvr killer app.

I'm the latter, adored just walking around and soaking up the atmosphere but can't handle it. Heard footsteps outside the room door and noped the fuck back to the dash.

ironcreed

Banned
For anyone curious, there are a lot of impressions since a lot of places have been selling the game.

GAF'er SlasherJPC is handling RE7's review for ZTGD, he's played four hours of the game so far for his official review but gave us his four hour impressions for example (likewise he didn't get a review copy, so he's not under embargo):

Likely more full reviews will be creeping up shortly as the game is on sale in a lot of places already from people not under embargo.

I normally agree with Slasher more times than not, so that is indeed a good sign.

After having my expectations lowered a little after reading some of the impressions from the other thread, I'm now in full hype mode again!

Other thread has impressions from 2 or 3 individuals repeated again and again and again, creating an illusion that it's coming from a lot of people. That's why I never trust early singular source impressions and always wait for more sources.

Just paid off my Collector's Edition at Gamestop earlier this week. I'm going into this game almost 100% blind and can't fucking wait! I've seen the trailer from E3 and that is pretty much it. I had a demo downloaded, but just decided to delete it.

kodecraft

Other thread has impressions from 2 or 3 individuals repeated again and again and again, creating an illusion that it's coming from a lot of people. That's why I never trust early singular source impressions and always wait for more sources.

This. I don't know how many times I kept reading the same negative impression reiterated in that thread. Everything from the constant quoting of it to the spoilers listed.

I just jumped over all that nonsense...Not to take away from anyone's impression but it started to come off like the defacto review.

This game been pre ordered since day one, pre loaded from Steam, and ready to go.

Wow, worse than Resident Evil 6 according to Famitsu. Going to cancel my preorder since this game is trash.
/s

Interested to see how the other reviews see it. Could easily see this game getting a ton of 6's and 7's.

Edit: Definitely worried that this could be a game that is a 9 with VR and a 7 without though.

Wow, worse than Resident Evil 6 according to Famitsu. Going to cancel my preorder since this game is trash.
/s

Interested to see how the other reviews see it. Could easily see this game getting a ton of 6's and 7's.

Edit: Definitely worried that this could be a game that is a 9 with VR and a 7 without though.

I really, really doubt it'll get more than a few scores that low. Reviewers seem to be loving it.

Hmm, the pure PlayStation review states that it took 9.5 hours to complete the game. I was hoping for around 15 hours to justify spending that much money ($72 in my region)

Yeah, but the comments about the quality of the game dipping in the second half worries me a little. My expectations have gone from expecting something incredible, to expecting something good.

I shall see for myself in a few more days....

dmix90

Hmm, the pure PlayStation review states that it took 9.5 hours to complete the game. I was hoping for around 15 hours to justify spending that much money ($72 in my region)
That's unfortunate...... that said i spent more than half of that time in a teaser demo(regular and VR) and that was only a dirty house in the woods in terms of content. Hope this game will last for a while :p

kromeo

That's unfortunate...... that said i spent more than half of that time in a teaser demo(regular and VR) and that was only a dirty house in the woods in terms of content. Hope this game will last for a while :p

Puts it in line with a lot of the series so not too bad.. 3 was shorter, 4 and 6 were longer

That Pure PlayStation review needs a spoiler warning, it goes into details on enemies and weapons ect, I stopped myself reading it. Good to hear they enjoyed it though.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

kc44135

Well, there is Madhouse mode. It unlocks when you beat the game (or immediately if you pre-rendered it), and appears to be a radically different experience, going as far as to change enemy and item locations around, in addition to being more challenging. It's supposedly similar to the Advanced/Arrange mode from RE1 Director's Cut if you played that.

? My comment was referring to Famitsu being a bit of a joke as reviewers go. They were actually the first ones to release a review, hence why I referred to PurePlayStation's review as the first real, reliable one we've gotten.

ok...I posted here by accident so said my post can be deleted lol.

I can't believe I'm actually excited for a Resident Evil game. Gave up on the franchise and assumed this game would be garbage. After seeing some footage and reading impressions, I'm pretty damn pumped. Really hoping we see some more awesome reviews soon.

Top Bottom