• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 Spoiler Thread

Fury451

Banned
So is there no Mercenaries mode or anything like that ? Just a few collectibles ?

Doesn't seem to be. There's Madhouse mode. Maybe something else coming in the DLC.

Doesn't seem like this is a combat-heavy game compared to recent entries, so Mercenaries wouldn't make a lot of sense.

Mifec

Man, I can't tell if the combat is clunky as fuck or if the person playing simply sucks. That chainsaw fight especially has some incredibly sluggish looking movement. Looks like a less responsive Condemned somehow.

The person playing it sucked indeed. But your comparison to Condemned is actually pretty fair.

me0wish

It's also not welcome news that the first hour was the best (so far), since it sounds like the most boring gameplay wise.

My opinion might not be very reliable to your priorities, I love the first hour or two because of the strong narrative that is used, which focuses on world building. I also found the gameplay to be the most creative and out of the box in the first two hours, with different ways to approach a given situation.

My main issue with the game is that the characters are not explored at all, and lack any sort of depth the game trailers made me believe they'll have. The story seems to be to be very predictable.

Another problem I have with the game is it being extremely linear, you will always know what to do and when to do it, it removes the feeling of tension as you know what to expect behind each door, limiting the sense of mystery and exploration.

To me the game game feels more like a survival game rather than a survival horror.

Besides all my negative criticism, the game is still pretty solid, I'm just disappointed that it's not as "OMG EPIC" as I thought it would be, just a really great solid game, with some major issues.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Doesn't seem to be. There's Madhouse mode. Maybe something else coming in the DLC.

Doesn't seem like this is a combat-heavy game compared to recent entries, so Mercenaries wouldn't make a lot of sense.

Very true, I'm not worried if there isn't with this game, was just curious :) I'm just hoping for a kick ass single player campaign and from all the footage I've seen it seems pretty damn tasty to me!

Blueblur1

My opinion might not be very reliable to your priorities, I love the first hour or two because of the strong narrative that is used, which focuses on world building. I also found the gameplay to be the most creative and out of the box in the first two hours, with different ways to approach a given situation.

My main issue with the game is that the characters are not explored at all, and lack any sort of depth the game trailers made me believe they'll have. The story seems to be to be very predictable.

Another problem I have with the game is it being extremely linear, you will always know what to do and when to do it, it removes the feeling of tension as you know what to expect behind each door, limiting the sense of mystery and exploration.

To me the game game feels more like a survival game rather than a survival horror.

Besides all my negative criticism, the game is still pretty solid, I'm just disappointed that it's not as "OMG EPIC" as I thought it would be, just a really great solid game, with some major issues.
Damn, I was afraid the game would be as linear as the intro as. That sucks.

The person playing it sucked indeed. But your comparison to Condemned is actually pretty fair.

I guess what I meant by that was that, even though the word is played out, Condemned was very visceral in its animations and feedback. This footage reminded me of Condemned if it had lacked much of that sense of impact and power from your weapons. Then again videos can be deceiving considering the person playing indeed seems to suck ass.

Sanctuary

Man, I can't tell if the combat is clunky as fuck or if the person playing simply sucks. That chainsaw fight especially has some incredibly sluggish looking movement. Looks like a less responsive Condemned somehow.

Without watching, First-person combat. It always sucks if it's not designed specifically around shooting a gun (and usually at a distance). Even if they are mechanically similar in most ways, and the primary difference is just the perspective, first-person just never feels right with combat compared to third-person outside of a first-person shooter.

Don't agree at all - Condemned, Condemned 2, Zeno Clash, Zeno Clash 2 and probably a few others I'm forgetting - all superb games that make melee combat in first person great fun.

Would the Condemned games actually be memorable without their great atmosphere though? A lot of people believe that Dying Light's combat is "great", and I think it's the weakest aspect of the game.

edit: The main thing that really annoys me about first-person combat is trying to judge distances, or how much space you actually have when trying to avoid anything. It's easy to see in third-person, especially if you're trying to run past an enemy or use more precise melee strikes. In first-person it's usually a guess, and for melee attacks it becomes a ridiculous jousting game.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Without watching, First-person combat. It always sucks if it's not designed specifically around shooting a gun (and usually at a distance). Even if they are mechanically similar in most ways, and the primary difference is just the perspective, first-person just never feels right with combat outside of a first-person shooter.

Don't agree at all - Condemned, Condemned 2, Zeno Clash, Zeno Clash 2 and probably a few others I'm forgetting - all superb games that make melee combat in first person great fun.

me0wish

Damn, I was afraid the game would be as linear as the intro as. That sucks.

can someone double confirm on the linearity? Are we talking REmake or RE4 linearity or worse RE5/6?

Linearity was confirmed in previous pages. To me, the game felt more linear than RE4, RE4 has lots of optional things to do and places to go, even with the linear nature of the game, there is a lot to explore and it's very rewarding. RE7 on the other hand has TWO extra rooms, and two "side quests" only (based on the 5 hours I've played), unless I skipped something but I highly doubt it. The extra stuff weren't even that good or rewarding.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Would the Condemned games actually be memorable without their great atmosphere though? A lot of people believe that Dying Light's combat is "great", and I think its the weakest aspect of the game.

Yes they would, to me anyway. I love the combat so much in the Condemned games I spent a lot of time playing Condemned 2s extra modes just punching and smacking the shit out of fools :) Of course this is just my opinion! I also love Shadow Warrior/Shadow Warrior 2/Dishonored (not played 2 yet) and Dying Lights combat :p I wouldn't be a fan of say Mirrors Edge first person combat as it just gets in the way to me, with those games I just want to run.

Mifec

Linearity was confirmed in previous pages. To me, the game felt more linear than RE4, RE4 has lots of optional things to do and places to go, even with the linear nature of the game, there is a lot to explore and it's very rewarding. RE7 on the other hand has TWO extra rooms, and two "side quests" only based on the 5 hours I've played, unless I skipped something but I highly doubt it. The extra stuff weren't even that good or rewarding.

What do you mean by sidequests? Like get a replacement shotgun to get the working one in the first Baker house area?

dlauv

Linearity was confirmed in previous pages. To me, the game felt more linear than RE4, RE4 has lots of optional things to do and places to go, even with the linear nature of the game, there is a lot to explore and it's very rewarding. RE7 on the other hand has TWO extra rooms, and two "side quests" only (based on the 5 hours I've played), unless I skipped something but I highly doubt it. The extra stuff weren't even that good or rewarding.

Have you spent any time with the optional VHS tapes?

me0wish

Where was it btw, I saw the first streamer get it but he was running from Jack so I didn't quite catch where he found the replacement.

You need to get the Scorpion key to open "Grandma's Room", you'll find the broken shotgun there.

That's one of the only parts in which the game isn't completely linear, and it wasn't exactly great tbh.

Fury451

Banned
Very true, I'm not worried if there isn't with this game, was just curious :) I'm just hoping for a kick ass single player campaign and from all the footage I've seen it seems pretty damn tasty to me!

For sure, I have been openly pretty skeptical, but I really want it to succeed.

I do worry about the overall replay value though, it's been quite stellar in recent entries.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
For sure, I have been openly pretty skeptical, but I really want it to succeed.

I do worry about the overall replay value though, it's been quite stellar in recent entries.

For me I'm not so worried as I'm getting it on PC for a good preorder price from Amazon and I've got Yakuza 0 coming out at the same time so that takes care of my long game/RPG needs :p

Without watching, First-person combat. It always sucks if it's not designed specifically around shooting a gun (and usually at a distance). Even if they are mechanically similar in most ways, and the primary difference is just the perspective, first-person just never feels right with combat compared to third-person outside of a first-person shooter.

I agree with you on that and my mention of Condemned wasn't to imply that Condemned's combat was all that. I thought it was very flawed especially in the last few chapters, but at least it had a sense of brutality and impact about it that kind of sold it at least the last time I played it. What I was getting at is that Condemned's FPS melee was a bit wonky in itself but this makes Condemned look perfect in comparison, I was kinda trying to be a bit polite.

Condemned is also over 11 years old now :/

EDIT: Ok, saying I agree with you fully is overstating it actually haha...I don't think Condemned's combat sucks, I just think it's quite flawed and clunky and you'd think they could iron those kinks out 11 years down the road.

From the ending I saw, he only introduces himself as "Redfield" so...yeah. I mean you could take it at face value but then again, I'm sure back in Resi 1 days Capcom would argue you shouldn't be immediately suspicious of a guy who wears sunglasses indoors/in the middle of the night and looks like a supervillain.

hurry up next tuesday

I missed this post but really interesting what this means.

Yeah, not to try and make a story out of nothing but I think we've had so many examples of people actually giving answers (or a No at least) that there's a chance. When DLC etc starts to come out and we know whether or not its HUNK/Chris, we'll probably have our answer :/

I hope he doesn't magically read Gaf/Reddit etc, see rampant speculation over an innocent tweet and think "I'm never replying to that guy again"

BiggNife

I definitely think it's an impostor, whether it's Hunk or someone else.

The fact that he barely looks like Chris, doesn't have Chris's VA, and calls himself "Redfield" all seem like intentional hints that something isn't right.

judhudson

The fact that he barely looks like Chris, doesn't have Chris's VA, and calls himself "Redfield" all seem like intentional hints that something isn't right.

Well, that and the helicopter, lol.

This might sound bizzare but I'd be interested to know the Japanese script for the final cutscene, because if the english translation was overseen by an author you could assume it might change the way people refer themselves to another person etc...but equally "I'm Redfield" doesn't feel like a Chris thing to do. Ofc if a boulder was lying ontop of Ethan that'd be a different matter...

Are we gonna ignore Capcom's notorious history with changing faces of their characters? Did we forget about Frank West in DR4?

The upcoming story DLC involving rescuing Ethan is called Not A Hero. If that and the Umbrella chopper and looking nothing like Chris and not having the same voice actors doesn't answer it, then I don't know what does. Either way, we will find out the answer in May.

Why would Chris align himself with Umbrella? Seems out of character to me

What if he's resurrecting Umbrella to make sure they go down the right path? Let's be real a company like Umbrella is always gonna exist so what better way to ensure Umbrella stays on the right path than to have him in charge.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Would Chris introduce himself as Redfield though?

In Resi 5 he introduces himself using his full name.

https://youtu.be/vEPoQTI9Pr4?t=127

Even in the mangas he introduces himself using his full name.
gAkGTfK.jpg

Jake2by4

What if he's resurrecting Umbrella to make sure they go down the right path? Let's be real a company like Umbrella is always gonna exist so what better way to ensure Umbrella stays on the right path than to have him in charge.

Nobody would back Chris up on doing some dumbness like this.

Considering the BSAA that'd be so convoluted....but Capcom would probably go with it :p

BiggNife

Are we gonna ignore Capcom's notorious history with changing faces of their characters? Did we forget about Frank West in DR4?
DR4 Frank west, while noticeably different, is still recognizable as Frank West. Meanwhile, this Chris looks nothing like any other version of Chris. Like, at all.

And my point was that it's the culmination of these things. Not only does it not look or sound like Chris, BUT this person is working for Umbrella, which is super out of character for Chris.

E: and honestly I think "what if Chris is trying to reform umbrella from the inside" is way more far fetched than "what if this isn't really Chris Redfield"

Nobody would back Chris up on doing some dumbness like this.

That's why he leaves the BSAA and goes rogue. The dude already cut contact with Jill, Barry, and Sheva by the time 6 happened. Maybe his time with the BSAA has made him unhinged from all the bio-terrorism he's had to deal with.

I so want to believe this is Chris.

Jake2by4

That's why he leaves the BSAA and goes rogue. The dude already cut contact with Jill, Barry, and Sheva by the time 6 happened. Maybe his time with the BSAA has made him unhinged from all the bio-terrorism he's had to deal with.

I so want to believe this is Chris.

Chris Redfield Hero who worked hard to be bring down Umbrella, resurrects Umbrella 14 years later ...........?

I'm a little disappointed that they brought back previous RE characters as the demo seemed to me to establish a completely new and separate story, which was great. I guess I never thought of RE as needing to stick with those characters since the appeal to me was the horror and environment.

Top Bottom