• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Community |OT2| Best Fans Ever!

Jawmuncher

I really like 4 but I'm hoping for a REmake approach.

The Mercenaries dose we need should come as a full console game, don't really know how Capcom greenlits games like Umbrella Corps and not this.

Yeah we're on a loop at this point. Mercenaries is a perfect fit for a game as a service.
Release at $20 with a decent amount of content. Then release other content packs later on at a price. Or if they don't want to go that route. Have all gameplay updates free. But have character costumes and the like come in the form of loot boxes. RE fans would eat that shit up and if you wanna save money it's easily ignorable since it wouldn't affect the gameplay itself.

Yeah we're on a loop at this point. Mercenaries is a perfect fit for a game as a service.
Release at $20 with a decent amount of content. Then release other content packs later on at a price. Or if they don't want to go that route. Have all gameplay updates free. But have character costumes and the like come in the form of loot boxes. RE fans would eat that shit up and if you wanna save money it's easily ignorable since it wouldn't affect the gameplay itself.
Yep, it isn't that hard to have a good approach with this, just a solid base and then go from there.

Sometimes I think if they are blind/crazy or they don't really know how to create good ideas... it's kinda frustrating hahah.

OniBaka

Yep, it isn't that hard to have a good approach with this, just a solid base and then go from there.

Sometimes I think if they are blind/crazy or they don't really know how to create good ideas... it's kinda frustrating hahah.

It's very frustrating with capcom now days, you want to support them but the stuff they decide is annoying.

Neiteio

I envision a collection for Switch called

Resident Evil: The War on Terror Collection

...featuring RE4, Revelations 1, RE5, Revelations 2, and RE6 (arranged that way in the series' chronological order).

The "War on Terror" headline refers to how these are the post-Umbrella games where BOWs have become a global threat.

RE6 Mercenaries on the go would be glorious.

Alternatively, if that's too pie in the sky, an RE4/RE5/RE6 collection for $60 should be fair, given that those remasters cost $20 individually on PS4 and X1.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Capcom just sent out an email about Revelations 1 HD's upcoming port, and teased something completely new in this version of the game.

d4eaf57ecfed57fe95955a8b1e79c444.png

I know that the RE5/RE6 ports recently had slightly new content (Mercenaries Combined in RE5 and the new vehicle control schemes and combined Multiplayer Mode for RE6), but I kind of didn't expect anything new for this Revelations HD Port, let alone a new Raid Mode stage (even if it's just an 'infernal' remix of the final open-world stage as it looks from the tease).

Grumbles because probably like the new "combined" Mercenaries Mode in the recent RE5 port this probably won't come to PC.

Jawmuncher

Capcom just sent out an email about Revelations 1 HD's upcoming port, and teased something completely new in this version of the game.

d4eaf57ecfed57fe95955a8b1e79c444.png

I know that the RE5/RE6 ports recently had slightly new content (Mercenaries Combined in RE5 and the new vehicle control schemes and combined Multiplayer Mode for RE6), but I kind of didn't expect anything new for this Revelations HD Port, let alone a new Raid Mode stage (even if it's just an 'infernal' remix of the final open-world stage as it looks from the tease).

Grumbles because probably like the new "combined" Mercenaries Mode in the recent RE5 port this probably won't come to PC.

Nice to see them adding new content even if it's just one map. Gotta say though, that won't be enough for me to rebuy it. Will probably wait until it's half-off. Not particularly keen on Revelations, especially when the achievement/trophy list is a grind fest

Hey ya'll I posted an article I wrote about Umbrella Corps on the RE subreddit and it's been floating around the top all day, thought you guys would appreciate it.

It's a deconstruction of the games design as oppose to just going "it's crap" and being done with it. It has some good ideas!

Link

Jawmuncher

Hey ya'll I posted an article I wrote about Umbrella Corps on the RE subreddit and it's been floating around the top all day, thought you guys would appreciate it.

It's a deconstruction of the games design as oppose to just going "it's crap" and being done with it. It has some good ideas!

Link

So it was you. I liked that article and gave it an upvote on reddit,

OniBaka

Link
Great read, it's really annoying reading it's crap without actually stating why.

Dusk Golem

My stance on Umbrella Corps is it's a lot more fun with friends that I expected. I honestly kind of expected to dislike it, and it doesn't give the best first impression, but when you begin to learn its mechanics and get into it, it can become surprisingly fun. It's kind of like an arcade shooter multiplayer game with a Resident Evil skin and some jankiness. I don't know why I think arcade, just something about the whole game reminds me of arcade games, it has a certain addicting but fun but challenging side to it.

Buuuuut I'm completely fine with it failing. On one hand I kind of wish it did a bit better so it got a bit more support than just the Typewriter mode, the dark levels, and the RE1 Mansion and RE6 china stages, but on the other hand while I'm fine with it as a one-off I don't really need a sequel or anything nor is this specifically what I want from the series. I'd rather they put resources elsewhere honestly.

But I admit when it goes dirt cheap one day I'm buying a few copies for friends and just going to play with them for a few days, it is actually a really fun 'group of friends' multiplayer game to me, and can be fun with randoms even (just I found it to be more fun with friends).

Pengu

Neo Member
Sorry if this has been asked/mentioned, but how is the ps4 version of code veronica compared to the ps3 version? I don't know if it was my tv, but the ps3 version seemed way too dark when I first played it a couple years back.

Mr_Zombie

The PS3 version was ported to MT Framework - it included a new lighting and shadows system, but Capcom also made the game look darker and more saturated. The PS4 version is the same as the original PS2 version; it's much brighter with brighter color pallette and much simpler lighting.

kc44135

Sorry if this has been asked/mentioned, but how is the ps4 version of code veronica compared to the ps3 version? I don't know if it was my tv, but the ps3 version seemed way too dark when I first played it a couple years back.

The PS3 version was ported to MT Framework - it included a new lighting and shadows system, but Capcom also made the game look darker and more saturated. The PS4 version is the same as the original PS2 version; it's much brighter with brighter color pallette and much simpler lighting.

What Mr Zombie said. Game runs and plays great on PS4, and IMO, the original lighting and less saturated colors (as well as the absence of the heavily crushed blacks in the remaster) results in a better, brighter looking game overall. Also, due to solid emulation on the PS4, the game is actually running at a higher resolution than the PS3 version (around 900p compared to 720p on PS3) with a form of anti-aliasing applied, while the remaster had none. It ends up looking a lot sharper and cleaner than the remaster as a result. The main thing you'll be missing out on with this version is 16:9 wide-screen, which the PS2 version sadly did not support.

Here's Digital Foundry's take on the PS4 release of CVX: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CWdvP3yUQ_Y

Also, here's a comparison of the PS3 version to the original PS2 version: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=c_-Ycd-Xh4Q

kc44135

Original CVX is ugly as sin. The HD remaster removing the fogging puts it head and shoulders over any other version for that alone.

Eh, I'm not bothered by the fog effect. I don't generally find it to be unappealing, and I think it can add to the atmosphere of the game in certain instances. It's also only really present in a handful of areas throughout the game. Also, in general, I just find that the original game has a much more "natural" look to it, whereas I find that the remaster looks very "cartoonish", with it's oversaturated colors and crushed blacks. I just don't find the look of it appealing, personally. To each their own, though.

Zambatoh

Original CVX is ugly as sin. The HD remaster removing the fogging puts it head and shoulders over any other version for that alone.

I agree with this. I hated the fogging so much in the original. The HD version was a huge upgrade overall. I just wish they they had used higher quality textures.

Missed the news that Not A Hero was delayed. Started to think "shouldn't it be releasing soon...?" and googled it :[

now my heart is filled with a sad

finley83

Banned
Anyone know if there is an established GAF thread for helping Euro gamers buy games and arrange shipping from Amazon US? I want to pick up a US Gamecube copy of RE: CVX but all the copies on eBay that ship to the UK are either incomplete for really expensive. Found a decent quality copy on Amazon but it seems there's no way they allow you to ship games abroad :(

Pengu

Neo Member
Thanks for the input, I'll probably grab the ps4 version and see for myself. It's unfortunate about the resolution, but the darkness in the ps3 port was a problem for me.

Anyone know if there is an established GAF thread for helping Euro gamers buy games and arrange shipping from Amazon US? I want to pick up a US Gamecube copy of RE: CVX but all the copies on eBay that ship to the UK are either incomplete for really expensive. Found a decent quality copy on Amazon but it seems there's no way they allow you to ship games abroad :(
Ask a gaffer? The plus side is they likely mark the cost down so avoid import fees.

Also I think in US the RE2/3/CVX GC ports were small print/quite rare.

finley83

Banned
Ask a gaffer? The plus side is they likely mark the cost down so avoid import fees.

Also I think in US the RE2/3/CVX GC ports were small print/quite rare.

Thanks, was mainly wondering if there was anyone here that already does it, to take a bit of risk of the unknown away at my end! I already have RE2 and 3 US versions but ended up with a UK copy of CVX after spotting a bargain on Amazon (£16!). Unfortunately the AR code that forces it to run at the right speed isn't much use on an actual Gamecube so looking for a proper NTSC copy now.

Dusk Golem

Missed the news that Not A Hero was delayed. Started to think "shouldn't it be releasing soon...?" and googled it :[

now my heart is filled with a sad

Don't let it be too full of sad, the reason it was delayed was to rework it heavily. It was outsourced to another studio, Capcom wasn't happy with what came back and there was big problems with it, so to raise it the level of quality they wanted and to keep the goodwill of RE7 they decided to heavily rework the DLC, redoing whole levels, mechanics, etc., themselves. That's the reason it's been delayed.

Don't let it be too full of sad, the reason it was delayed was to rework it heavily. It was outsourced to another studio, Capcom wasn't happy with what came back and there was big problems with it, so to raise it the level of quality they wanted and to keep the goodwill of RE7 they decided to heavily rework the DLC, redoing whole levels, mechanics, etc., themselves. That's the reason it's been delayed.

Has outsourcing ever worked for Capcom? Like, I know parts of projects are outsourced like with all companies, but Capcom seems to have rotten luck with it.

After Rev1 Capcom needs to port RE1-3 just like square did with FF7 to PS4. I need the whole series on PS4 at this point. I would gladly rebuy for trophy support alone.

Jawmuncher

The hunger for a new Resident Evil game is making me feel icky.

lol. It's funny that we're so hungry despite RE7 just coming out. It just wasn't enough since it was missing some things to be fully satisfying and i'm not even talking about action. I think Vendetta will do nicely and hopefully whatever story elements not a hero brings.

c-murph

Since Revelations is getting a PS4 physical release in Sept and Code veronica just came out on the PS4... Does that mean were getting a physical release of CVx soon too?!

Jawmuncher

Since Revelations is getting a PS4 physical release in Sept and Code veronica just came out on the PS4... Does that mean were getting a physical release of CVx soon too?!

Nope. CVX is a PS2 to PS4 classic. The only thing we'll see of CVX is probably the game hitting backwards compatibility on Xbox One. Might be awhile until we get physical copies and the game on PC.

So, haven't watch the Revelations videos, does it look good?

Didn't know the reason behind the delay, thanks for the info! I wonder what was the DLC like at first, since Capcom wasn't okay with it.

kc44135

So, haven't watch the Revelations videos, does it look good?

Yeah, it looks fine. It pretty much looks the same as the last-gen remasters, except this time it's running at 1080p at 60 FPS. Also, there's apparently a new Raid Mode stage and possibly some other minor stuff included in this version. Seems alright for $20.

Looks like Revelations on 1080p.

Yeah, it looks fine. It pretty much looks the same as the last-gen remasters, except this time it's running at 1080p at 60 FPS. Also, there's apparently a new Raid Mode stage and possibly some other minor stuff included in this version. Seems alright for $20.
Thanks! I'll probably end up buying it just like 4,5 and 6 lol
Even though I don't like Jill's face and voice it will look good at 1080p and 60fps.

Jawmuncher

RE7 fell off the top 20 for the April NPD. Meaning the sales this month are more than likely less than 100K. Capcom want's another 1.5 million in sales by march. Might be possible, but probably not until it has bigger sales. So far it's hovering around 35-40. To be fair capcom seems to always over estimate.

Stoze

I thought I should ask this in here - I want to pick up RE5 to play local co-op with my sister. Is the Steam version fine and is getting the splitscreen mod with multiple controllers to work a pain? Or should I just go with the remaster on PS4 despite drop in resolution/framerate? Remaster is $10 cheaper than gold as well, even though I'm guessing there's not much of a difference.

PantsuJo

Question about Coda Veronica HD (the remaster at 720p with new lighting):

What are the differences between PS3 and 360?

Poor fps? Bad controls? Or they are the *same* port for both the systems?

Jawmuncher

Question about Coda Veronica HD (the remaster at 720p with new lighting):

What are the differences between PS3 and 360?

Poor fps? Bad controls? Or they are the *same* port for both the systems?

I don't recall there being any major difference between the two actually

finley83

Banned
I don't recall there being any major difference between the two actually

From what I've seen both are largely identical, though I'd be interested to know if it's any darker on 360. Apart from the darkness my main problem with the HD version was they put run on X and fire on square, which really messes with muscle memory after playing the other RE titles.

RE7 fell off the top 20 for the April NPD. Meaning the sales this month are more than likely less than 100K. Capcom want's another 1.5 million in sales by march. Might be possible, but probably not until it has bigger sales. So far it's hovering around 35-40. To be fair capcom seems to always over estimate.
Maybe it could go up once the DLC is released, but I don't think they can reach the 10 million mark soon enough.

Top Bottom