• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Revelaitons |OT| 3D Jill Sandwiches

Anteo

What?!
I thought there would have been a chapter (or half of that) where Rachel was a playable character, a sequence like in the trailer but actually playable.

There is a video, called Jessica's Report iirc that shows a playable Rachel for a few seconds, but as far as we know, there is no way to access that in game. She is not playable in any way or form, not even in Raid Mode (she is a boss in raid though, maybe that's why).

Anteo

Then, I'm wondering where the footage fo the TGS trailer went. Probably in a Revelations +? It seems odd to me.

Btw, I loved the OST, one of the best in the series:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1ZDWKujPGs

I think that footage was scraped due to changes in the script.
I doubt the unknow agent that infected the crew was suposed to be Raymond. The infection of the ships was an event prior to all that, and you get to see Rachel getting "killed" so I suppose she and Raymond just arrived to the ship.

Dat credits music. I love it so much.

Alchemy

Am I the only one who finds the aiming speed super slow? Using the CPP with the highest aim speed available and it just chugs. It also doesn't feel like there is enough of a speed range with the circle pad, as if they didn't expect people to use minor pad motions at all. Doesn't completely ruin the game for me, but it does add to the... uneven experience.

Graphically its outstanding for a 3DS game, but sound quality, control speed, over used backtracking through the ship, and a really goofy story (so far, I feel like I'm about 70% through the game) that ranges from silly side characters to serious-zombie drama makes the entire package feel unfocused.

Overall I'm enjoying the game, but the more I play the less I feel I can really recommend this to people that aren't core RE fans already.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I use the gyro thing to aim. It works the best, IMO. You should give it a shot. It's in the options.

Davey Cakes

That ending was rather
terrible. Everyone that was supposed to be dead sorta survived just because.
I will say that I'm glad
Parker lived
, but I think it would have been better if
Quint and Keith bit the big one. Those guys were like playable redshirts

Just unlocked Raid Mode.

I knew I was going to put a decent amount of hours into the game just from the story but after playing just 1 game of Raid Mode and seeing what it's about, I can EASILY see myself putting in 35+ hours. Can't wait to dive deeper into that mode.

That ending was rather
terrible. Everyone that was supposed to be dead sorta survived just because.

Well it is Resident Evil :). I would be shocked if that had not been the case frankly.

I will say that I'm glad
Parker lived
, but I think it would have been better if
Quint and Keith bit the big one. Those guys were like playable redshirts

Agreed but disagreed.
I love Parker and his "See you guys" gets me everytime, even though I have played the Campaign half a dozen times. I love the other pair too. I really hope they all return in a future game as it is set up to do. That would be tits :).

I don't understand what you mean by 'playable redshirts' though.

Just unlocked Raid Mode.

I knew I was going to put a decent amount of hours into the game just from the story but after playing just 1 game of Raid Mode and seeing what it's about, I can EASILY see myself putting in 35+ hours. Can't wait to dive deeper into that mode.

It's the best part of the game for me. Enjoy! :)

Those two characters were really non-compelling to me. They bordered between being meaningful and being like disposable redshirts. Playing as them didn't change my perception.

Ah, I got that sense from your post but I don't know what that particular phrase means so I was curious. Sorry if I was unclear. Probably a cultural thing.

M3d10n

Damn, Capcom knows how to put replay value in a game. I beat the game today and was pleasantly surprised to see I can start a new game with all my equipment. Nice chance to get to scan stuff I missed/forgot. And raid mode... oh boy. The looting features, the levels and parts will surely make me put serious hours into this game.

The "missions" system deserves a mention. For once, the lack of system-wide achievements resulted into something good: an innovative achievement system. Instead of getting a static list of chores to perform from the get go, the missions are unlocked as you play and some (like the infected missions) are generated dynamically. It's more like a RPG's quest system.

Played my first rounds of Raid mode online today. Had lots of fun: at first I played with someone with a ridiculously high level which teared through the levels playing characters I didn't even imagine were playable. Got lots of levels and weapons.

It's funny that Raid mode is actually much bigger than RE Mercenaries itself, since it has pretty much all the content from the single player mode at its disposal.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Ugh, Abyss Raid. What am I supposed to do here? I have a hard time soloing any of these missions. I'm level 41, on mission 6 or 7, but my load-out just doesn't feel up to snuff. Is there anything I can do to farm better guns?

olimpia84

Kid Icarus stole the spotlight from this game and I still haven't completely S ranked all the missions on Raid mode from #9 forward. If anybody wants to help me complete the missions shoot me a PM

stupei

I feel like I must be out of my mind and google isn't being any help, so: is it seriously not possible to restart a chapter? Was playing slightly less than sober last night after I got home and wasn't very responsible with my ammo. Now I'd like to start the chapter over and ... I can't figure out how? Is it seriously not something you're able to do? Restart just sends you back to the autosave and even turning off auto saves doesn't appear to actually stop it from checkpointing, so now I'm confused.

Does the game expect me to start a new game or something?

Riposte

After Capcoms comments on how they want the COD crowd to play Resident Evil and that they will adjust the game to get that crowd... Well lets say that Revelaitons (probably) is the last good RE game =/

They more or less said action games in general and used Call of Duty as an example of action game (since it is basically the most successful action game). Another way to put it would be "more games like Resident Evil 4" which both Resident Evil 6 and Revelations are.

I don't know what is worse: that a thread on NeoGAF basically became a Kotaku article and misrepresented what was being said or that a mod made that thread. Well, people will hear what they want to hear.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
They more or less said action games in general and used Call of Duty as an example of action game (since it is basically the most successful action game). Another way to put it would be "more games like Resident Evil 4" which both Resident Evil 6 and Revelations are.

I don't know what is worse: that a thread on NeoGAF basically became a Kotaku article and misrepresented what was being said or that a mod made that thread. Well, people will hear what they want to hear.

But COD is nothing like RE4. It's not the same. Go play MW3 and tell me it feels like playing RE:R. [E: FWIW, I hated RE4 but love RE:R]

I read that as Capcom saying, "We're going to focus on making more RE games like RE:ORC" which is, in my opinion, not a good direction for the series. I agree with the sentiment that RE:R is probably going to be the last good RE game, especially if they go the route of COD or ORC.

Anteo

But I don't want to hear that!. Why did I hear that?
They said that both RE4 and RE5 are more action focused and Survival Horror games don't sell as much as Action games like COD. Take the survival horror from RE and what we get? an action game =/. Also, the gif man.. just look at the gif. That looks like COD with a mutant. =/. I don't want that.

In other news, yesterday I got a new Murasama!!! lvl 45!!!

Riposte

But COD is nothing like RE4. It's not the same. Go play MW3 and tell me it feels like playing RE:R. [E: FWIW, I hated RE4 but love RE:R]

How does a brick wall get internet access? That's not what I'm saying.

I read that as Capcom saying, "We're going to focus on making more RE games like RE:ORC" which is, in my opinion, not a good direction for the series. I agree with the sentiment that RE:R is probably going to be the last good RE game, especially if they go the route of COD or ORC.

Well, let's review

Especially for the North American market, I think the series needs to head in that [action-oriented] direction," Kawata said. "[Resident Evil's primary games] need to be an extension of the changes made in Resident Evil 4 and Resident Evil 5.

"RE4 started in that direction, and RE5 kept going in that direction. And I think that, especially for the North American market, we need to keep going in that direction and take it a step further. And that's exactly one of the reasons that Revelations is the way it is."

"Looking at the marketing data [for survival horror games] … the market is small, compared to the number of units Call of Duty and all those action games sell. A 'survival horror' Resident Evil doesn't seem like it'd be able to sell those kind of numbers."

"I can't really speak for Resident Evil 6, but I don't think that it necessarily has to go all the way in that [action-heavy] direction, the Call of Duty direction. It doesn't have to be a straight up shooter. But my impression is that Resident Evil 4 and 5 aren't shooters, per se."

More RE4+ style games (which he also says "aren't shooters" a la Call of Duty), which includes Resident Evil: Revelations. Stop being Kotaku, NeoGAF.

ORC was ORC, a slant-six game through and through. It doesn't really tell you much about Resident Evil 6, evidenced by the trailer showing more RE4+ style play and that the games were being made at the same time. I guess we can pretend Capcom has a history of making Socom games if you want.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Finally finished this over the long weekend. I enjoyed the game quite a bit overall despite some flaws. Raid mode is absolutely awesome though. Wish I could store more weapons though. :( I'm a hoarder in games and I hate giving up inventory.

Anteo

Finally finished this over the long weekend. I enjoyed the game quite a bit overall despite some flaws. Raid mode is absolutely awesome though. Wish I could store more weapons though. :( I'm a hoarder in games and I hate giving up inventory.

You will get some extra inventory slots later, just check the shop often.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
@Riposte I think you're getting a little butt-hurt here. We're making exaggerated generalizations, yes.

E: I'm not trying to be a super dick or anything, but a good number of us don't want to see the series go that direction.

Chesskid1

Banned
wow so after i finished revelations i loved it so much (it was my first RE game) and i just started resident evil 4 HD and it's amazing as well!! played 6 hours in one day, haha. what should i play next, REwise? just start from the beginning? i tried a bit of REmake and the controls were kinda weird, turning/moving was kinda strange.

i played some revelations online for a bit, and was partnered up with a lvl 40 and i was lvl 1, played like 4 levels and he just one shot everything

wow so after i finished revelations i loved it so much (it was my first RE game) and i just started resident evil 4 HD and it's amazing as well!! played 6 hours in one day, haha. what should i play next, REwise? just start from the beginning? i tried a bit of REmake and the controls were kinda weird, turning/moving was kinda strange.

i played some revelations online for a bit, and was partnered up with a lvl 40 and i was lvl 1, played like 4 levels and he just one shot everything

Good man :).

Well my recommendation would be REmake if you wish to try the traditional RE formula. As you know by now it is very different from RE4 onwards and was/is pretty divisive with seasoned RE players.

I expect you already know that it is a remake of the original Playstation RE game. So some of the control aspects are a legacy from that. Of course that is all part of the game design i.e. the restricted movement and aiming is a large element of what induces the feeling of trepidation and tension. It is part of what makes the traditional RE game design attractive for seasoned players.

RE4 onwards are much more action orientated so you may prefer the traditional approach or the contemporary approach or, like me, enjoy both :).

If you wish to see what you feel about the traditional RE game design then persisting with REmake would be my recommendation though.

Have fun! :)

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I can't kill this Mayday fucker. I use all the tanks and melee him, but he gets his bullshit one hit kill on me almost every time. Am I supposed to shoot him with the rifle?

I can't kill this Mayday fucker. I use all the tanks and melee him, but he gets his bullshit one hit kill on me almost every time. Am I supposed to shoot him with the rifle?

Well it's the most powerful weapon you have at that point so it helps. He kicked my arse numerous times too but don't worry, he's quite easy when you know how :). In fact on subsequent replays with more powerful weapons he's quite the pussy!

Are you using the weapon crate where you found the rifle to upgrade your weapons with any upgrades you've picked up or earnt? As GeekyDad said, a fully charged up melee attack really helps. If you can get him to slump over rush up to him and press whatever button you need for the melee attack and keep it held down until it's fully charged and let him have it. Be careful whilst charging though as other enemies can hurt you then. If you are in the process of doing an animation you are invincible until the animation ends though. So clearing out the area of as many enemies as possible before you tackle him might be worth a try. One way to take advantage of the invincible animation trick is to hop through the window in front of the door he bursts out from. You can shoot him whilst he trudges out of the room to get you, shoot the gas tank [or whatever it is] to damage him for melee, hop back into the room so he retraces his steps, rinse and repeat. You will have to beware of the other enemies so they don't block your escape so he has time to get to you and, as you say, one shot kill you.

Hope the above helps. Please let us know how you get on :).

So I finally got around to playing and reviewing this beast.

I liked it alot excecpt for some nagging issues.

Full Review is here.

Now I just need to find a local friend to finish up the RAID missions.

Bumhead

Banned
Wow, final boss on Hell mode is outrageously cheap. Third form is destroying me and it takes a crazy amount of shotgun and magnum ammo to touch him..

Finished it Sunday night total time around 14:51 on normal. I had trouble with the first
turret sequence
and the final end boss, despite that I thoroughly enjoyed the ride. Really impressed I got a full Resident Evil experience on a handheld and yes the add on controller was worth the price.

GeekyDad

Finished it Sunday night total time around 14:51 on normal. I had trouble with the first
turret sequence

Trying to recall that part of the game, but I'm drawing a blank. But close to 15 hours is a damned fine run for a portable adventure, and heck, once you try Raid Mode you'll probably be hooked for another 30-40 hours.

just finished the campaign up tonight, finally. i'd been saving it for the right moment :) i clocked in at less than ten hours on normal, and really enjoyed it. played it with just the one analogue and no accelerometer aiming. i'll probably use accel aiming for raid mode though.

i'd stick it below RE2, RE:make and RE4, but that's very high praise from me.

GeekyDad

i'd stick it below RE2, RE:make and RE4, but that's very high praise from me.

Yeah, that sounds about right for me. It's a very respectable RE game, and definitely more inspired than RE5, in my opinion, but not groundbreaking in the way those games were. But hell, having this quality of RE experience on a handheld, it's pretty fantastic.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
This game is by far the most advanced game on 3DS. Holy shit, it looks that good and doesn't give any frame drops. Maybe MGS3D left me rotten as far as expectations go but RER goes way beyond what I thought this system could do

Already put it over 2 hours in a single day which is rare for me, so fun

This game is by far the most advanced game on 3DS. Holy shit, it looks that good and doesn't give any frame drops. Maybe MGS3D left me rotten as far as expectations go but RER goes way beyond what I thought this system could do

Already put it over 2 hours in a single day which is rare for me, so fun
I used to think like you, wait until you try Kid Icarus Uprising !

Started this at the start of the week too. Surprisingly comfortable controls without the CCPro in there.
Is anyone still doing raid mode? I might get into that, but as I'm also new to the 3DS in general I do not even know if it's possible to add anyone outside of your territory (meaning EU,US).
But I've also still got to finish it. No idea how long this still goes. I kind of like how it just doesn't end, it's almost ridiculous. I thought I was almost done with it since 3 chapters or so now :lol

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Man, what's the point of having a partner that shoots, when they never damage the enemy? I swear the guy shoots maybe 10 times and it doesn't die, I shoot twice after and he's dead

I used to think like you, wait until you try Kid Icarus Uprising !
Could be could be, but I'm saving that one

Final boss was a bitch, holy shit.
I didn't realize that you could unlock raid mode long before finishing, simply by clicking on the achievements, lol. Played it for 2 hours straight, already lvl 10 or so, already drowning in equipment. It's fun, but does this have any specific goals?
I'd gladly add anyone who's still playing it :)

Final boss was a bitch, holy shit.
I didn't realize that you could unlock raid mode long before finishing, simply by clicking on the achievements, lol. Played it for 2 hours straight, already lvl 10 or so, already drowning in equipment. It's fun, but does this have any specific goals?
I'd gladly add anyone who's still playing it :)

Such a great game. I place it right below Resident Evil 2, which sits right below RE 1 Directors Cut (live action intro)/REmake - but - above Resident Evil 3: Nemesis, Code Veronica, 0, 4 and 5. A really fine game, really shines on the hardware.

Been meaning to dive back into the campaign a second time, holding off until the XL next month. I don't play Raid, didn't like it a whole lot, but RE Mercenaries 3D is a damn fine (underrated) experience and I still play it to this day....153 hours logged on that :p

vctor182

I started playing it around 2 weeks ago. It's a must have game if you own a 3DS, can't wait to play it in a 3DS XL!
Raid Mode is good fun, I'm at lvl 17 and actively playing it

Top Bottom