• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Revelations (3DS) real-time demo video

Guys this is real time. The environments are low poly, as are the character models. The whole thing is just dressed up with modern graphical techniques. But clearly that makes a big difference since some people are even suggesting it might be CG, lol.

It's real time and looks nothing close to CG, so believe.
Always-honest said:
will there be a useless bitch following me around the entire game?
Crucial question. I want solo RE back, pl0x.

The shaders make a huge difference since it's low poly and the textures are only "okay". As someone said previous, finally Nintendo has come up to snuff with modern graphical techniques. I wonder what other games Capcom has up it's sleeve since it supports MT Framework (Devil May Cry, MvC3, Dead Rising?)

Sadist

OHEMMMMGEE, want it even more right now.

Announce the damn releasedate Nintendo. Kid Icarus and RE Revelations are my top picks for the new system :D

Gravijah

plank said:
I wonder how many people thought this was another DS revision?

I've been curious about that. Nintendo has to really market it to people that this isn't another DS revision, but instead like PS1->PS2.

JaMarco

Visuals are amazing. Capcom better be making my MegaMan Legends 3DS too.
Gravijah said:
I've been curious about that. Nintendo has to really market it to people that this isn't another DS revision, but instead like PS1->PS2.
With the extreme amount of hype the 3DS is certainly going to get, I highly doubt that will be an issue.

Zenith said:
Offical Capcom PR:

PR statements aren't going to change my mind, I want to see it running! Like I said, I've got no problem with it being cut from recorded in-engine footage. The last time I saw a game which could switch through a bunch of scenes and locations like that in real time was the Chrono Trigger intro or something.

Gravijah said:

I would think that the entire 3D thing and the asymmetrical screens would be enough of a clue.

cvxfreak

Parl said:
So it's Resident Evil 7 then? Woo!
Resident Evil 9 or 10, actually. Doubt it's before Degeneration, as well.

1. Resident Evil Zero
2. Resident Evil
3. Resident Evil 3: Nemesis
4. Resident Evil CODE: Veronica
5. Resident Evil The Darkside Chronicles
6. Resident Evil The Umbrella Chronicles
7. Resident Evil 4
8. Resident Evil Degeneration
9. Resident Evil Revelations or Resident Evil 5
10. Resident Evil 5 or Resident Evil Revelations

This list only counts stories that include Chris, Jill, Leon, Claire or Wesker in some capacity. Games without them are excluded. Gaiden is also excluded. :D

Vitet

disappeared said:
If you put your face close enough to the screen, Jill will lick your face.

No need for it! You can just adjust the 3D wheel in the 3DS and she will pop out and lick you!

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Kayhan said:
Pretty sure Capcom got the message with the backlash on RE5.
Given the sales success of RE5 and the nature of Capcom's handheld hits, the only way I can see this not having co-op is if they run into serious technical issues.

Kayhan

Nirolak said:
Given the sales success of RE5 and the nature of Capcom's handheld hits, the only way I can see this not having co-op is if they run into serious technical issues.
I think Capcom realize that the success of RE5 is due to it being RE5. There has been near-universal backlash against the forced inclusion of Sheva. Voluntary CO-OP, sure put that in.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
So, I'm still not convinced this video is realtime.

To those saying camera control confirms it: Can you actually rotate the camera in the demo? Then it's realtime. Can you just pan and zoom? That could be done with a pre-rendered video.

To those saying the 3D depth slider being usable confirms it: Can you actually adjust the 3D depth all the way from full 3D down to 2D? Then it's realtime. Can you just choose between full 3D and 2D, with nothing in-between (as someone reported), like with 3D movie playback? Then it's probably pre-rendered.

I agree that the models are pretty low-poly, and the textures aren't that amazing, but the demo still looks a lot better than everything else we've seen. It could just be a target render.

Kayhan

Gravijah said:
Yes, I can. And I will again.

I promise that Nintendo 3DS will retail for under 250 american dollars.
:lol Personally, I think US$249.99 is very realistic and would be juuuuuuuuuuuust under 250, so....

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Kayhan said:
I think Capcom realize that the success of RE5 is due to it being RE5. There has been near-universal backlash against the forced inclusion of Sheva. Voluntary CO-OP, sure put that in.
I don't think GAF works fantastically well for making statements such as "near-universal".

I mean, people here absolutely loved Valkyria Chronicles and people couldn't care about Need For Speed in a million years, but VC has sold around 140k copies while Need For Speed: Underground broke 5 million copies.

That said, I would prefer co-op to be optional, but that's quite the statement to make.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
RoadHazard said:

To those saying camera control confirms it: Can you actually rotate the camera in the demo? Then it's realtime. Can you just pan and zoom? That could be done with a pre-rendered video.

To those saying the 3D depth slider being usable confirms it: Can you actually adjust the 3D depth all the way from full 3D down to 2D? Then it's realtime. Can you just choose between full 3D and 2D, with nothing in-between (as someone reported), like with 3D movie playback? Then it's probably pre-rendered.

I agree that the models are pretty low-poly, and the textures aren't that amazing, but the demo still looks a lot better than everything else we've seen. It could just be a target render.
It's real-time.

markot

Banned
Nah, its not real time. Not convinced.

>_<

Whats so unbelievable about it?

Its good graphics, but its not like its crysis levels. If they were faking it, why not do some lame ass cg?

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I'm thinking that's not actually real-time. More like pre-rendered effects on in-game models.

I'd be more than happy to eat crow if wrong.

RoadHazard said:

The press release confirms its in realtime.

DataBot

Kayhan said:
No you can't
Actually he can and i can say $199 you know why?

Getting moms to buy a $249 handheld device and for the casuals its almost like giving up on mass market, which would be a shitty buisness decision.
$199 is a tested area for a nintendo handheld = it works $249 is not.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
RurouniZel said:
I'm thinking that's not actually real-time. More like pre-rendered effects on in-game models.

I'd be more than happy to eat crow if wrong.
The 3DS supports all the effects seen though.

aoMZq.png

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Vic said:
It's real-time.

Have you seen the demo with your own eyes? Or have you just seen the video? Since we've got conflicting reports ("Definitely not real-time" VS "Confirmed to be real-time") I'm just not sure what do believe. I'm sure some people could be fooled into thinking it was real-time simply based on the fact that you have some camera control, even if it's not 3D camera control. Like I said, 2D camera control could be done with a pre-rendered video.

wsippel

Banned
If this really looked exactly like that on the 3DS, there's one more thing: Still absolutely no loading times, even with better graphics and more complex assets. Should be completely amazing for streaming.

Solo

cvxfreak said:
Resident Evil 9 or 10, actually. Doubt it's before Degeneration, as well.

1. Resident Evil Zero
2. Resident Evil
3. Resident Evil 3: Nemesis
4. Resident Evil CODE: Veronica
5. Resident Evil The Darkside Chronicles
6. Resident Evil The Umbrella Chronicles
7. Resident Evil 4
8. Resident Evil Degeneration
9. Resident Evil Revelations or Resident Evil 5
10. Resident Evil 5 or Resident Evil Revelations

This list only counts stories that include Chris, Jill, Leon, Claire or Wesker in some capacity. Games without them are excluded. Gaiden is also excluded. :D

Resident Evil 2?

Gravijah

Why include all the small flaws if it's not real time? And don't say "to make it more believable" because then I'll point out the bullshots released for 99% of other games.

Kayhan

DataBot said:
Actually he can and i can say $199 you know why?

Getting moms to buy a $249 handheld device and for the casuals its almost like giving up on mass market, which would be a shitty buisness decision.
$199 is a tested area for a nintendo handheld = it works $249 is not.
God, I can't wait for the price release. The crow-eating 80% of GAF will have to do...:lol

I got my crow-on-plate.jpgs ready to go!

kinggroin

Banned
I'd really love to believe that any of the RE:R demo was actually being rendered in real-time by the 3DS; and not simply a playback of 3d video (which might fool folks into thinking it's realtime since it's in 3d)...

...it's just a bit hard to wrap my mind around the idea after seeing all the other games so far.

We'll see. I'm expecting the final product to look substantially worse than this (simpler hair, even lower poly counts, and half the AA samples).

RoadHazard

Gold Member
markot said:
Nah, its not real time. Not convinced.

>_<

Whats so unbelievable about it?

Its good graphics, but its not like its crysis levels. If they were faking it, why not do some lame ass cg?

Well, the reasoning would be that it's just a target render. They would be stupid to make it CG miles better than what the 3DS could possibly achieve.

I'm not saying the 3DS couldn't do it in real-time, it's just that the conflicting reports have me uncertain.

QuiteWhittle said:
The press release confirms its in realtime.

Well, that's a bit more convincing. But we all know that the first KZ2 demo was said to be "real-time", even though it was actually a target render. And the first RE5 video wasn't real-time either (not sure if anyone claimed it was, though).

Top Bottom