• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Revelations (3DS) real-time demo video

markot

Banned
Im guessing, even if some of you were playing the game with a 3ds in your hands 'You know... im still not convinced...'

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
kinggroin said:
I'd really love to believe that any of the RE:R demo was actually being rendered in real-time by the 3DS; and not simply a playback of 3d video (which might fool folks into thinking it's realtime since it's in 3d)...

...it's just a bit hard to wrap my mind around the idea after seeing all the other games so far.

We'll see. I'm expecting the final product to look substantially worse than this (simpler hair, even lower poly counts, and half the AA samples).
So you're saying that Capcom has invented a video codec that allows you to move the camera at will?

Hot damn. Quick, everyone buy Capcom stock, they're going to make billions off of this!

Gravijah

Nirolak said:
So you're saying that Capcom has invented a video codec that allows you to move the camera at will?

Hot damn. Quick, everyone buy Capcom stock, they're going to make billions off of this!

Wait... Can you rotate 360 degrees around a character?

AniHawk

So I wonder if this will be a multiplatform release. Or maybe Nintendo moneyhatted Capcom or something, but I thought last year a RE for the PSP was announced at E3.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Gravijah said:
I'm not sure how far you can rotate it, but that you can rotate it at all means that it's realtime.

My friend was doing this at E3 actually. I know some people feel that the video game press would be willing to lie about being able to do this, but I feel it would be quite odd to believe that random people at a tradeshow would be willing to as well.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Gravijah said:

Yeah, that's the thing. Nobody has confirmed if you could actually rotate the camera in the demo, or if you could just pan and zoom. That's quite a huge difference.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Nirolak said:
The 3DS supports all the effects seen though.

http://imgur.com/aoMZq.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

Like I said, I'd be happy to eat crow, but I'm still not convinced. It may have those features, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it can use them [I]that[/I] well. Even if people could see it in 3D, keep in mind that the 3DS can also display 3D movies as well.

I just keep going back to the whole FFXIII thing where they insisted for years that the first trailer was real-time. Then the truth was revealed later and well... yeah it was pretty, but it wasn't [I]that.[/I]

Nirolak said:

Who actually said you could do this?

I'm more impressed that Capcom has invented a system where a bunch of different locations and half second snippets of different real time cutscenes are all played back intercut without any pauses. Unless they didn't, of course.

DataBot

Kayhan said:
I say US$249, 80% of GAF armchair-Pachters say US$199.

We'll see soon enough....:lol

Can you give me a reason why it would be $249 ?
I gave you some good reasons, which are about printing alot of money through the mass market.

Gravijah

AniHawk said:
It was like the MGS3D trailer/demo. You could just move the camera around the scene.

So, like a Madden replay where you can move a camera around, or ... just panning across whats already there? Just curious, as I believe it is real time.

cvxfreak

AniHawk said:
So I wonder if this will be a multiplatform release. Or maybe Nintendo moneyhatted Capcom or something, but I thought last year a RE for the PSP was announced at E3.
It's almost a tradition for Capcom to give something to Nintendo in spite of a prior Sony announcement. :lol

Gravijah said:
Second to CV, of course.

Every good RE fan, knows that REmake is the best RE ever.

Are you a good RE fan?!

Also it looks amazing, I'm to supose the one in the chair is Hunk? If that's the case that would be great, I always wanted to know more about Hunk, also this makes yet another RE without Leon, since RE4 he's the main RE character for me...

And that Jill models looks off, they translated pretty good Chris model fro the HD version, but jill is fucked up, I hope it's improved in the final game.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
RoadHazard said:
Have you seen the demo with your own eyes? Or have you just seen the video? Since we've got conflicting reports ("Definitely not real-time" VS "Confirmed to be real-time") I'm just not sure what do believe. I'm sure some people could be fooled into thinking it was real-time simply based on the fact that you have some camera control, even if it's not 3D camera control. Like I said, 2D camera control could be done with a pre-rendered video.
The PR said that it was real-time. Both this game and Super Street Fighter IV are running on the 3DS which means the MT Framework engine is compatible with the 3DS which no last-gen consoles did probably because they didn't support certain modern rendering techniques necessary to run the engine. I don't understand why you're in disbelieve.

AniHawk

Gravijah said:
So, like a Madden replay where you can move a camera around, or ... just panning across whats already there? Just curious, as I believe it is real time.

if i remember correctly, it was just panning across what was already there. i'm looking at footage i totally didn't take and i can't tell what was going on.

you know, i don't think it would be possible to rotate around the scene, what with all those cuts and stuff? you can't see it in the mgs3d video, but it's all one, long, uncut sequence.

yurinka

Looks great. I want this game if this is a cinematic moved by the game engine.

Makes me wonder if this is running in the same hardware than the Kid Icarius gameplay video.

Nirolak said:

As I know you can zoom in and zoom out in this video, not to move / rotate the camera.

Vic said:
The PR said that it was real-time. Both this game and Super Street Fighter IV are running on the 3DS which means the MT Framework engine is compatible with the 3DS which no last-gen consoles did probably because they didn't support certain modern rendering techniques necessary to run the engine. I don't understand why you're in disbelieve.
Super Street Fighter IV doesn't use the MT Framework. And Resident Evil 5 is the only game in the series that uses this engine, all the other recent RE games doesn't use it.

Graphics Horse said:
Who actually said you could do this?

I'm more impressed that Capcom has invented a system where a bunch of different locations and half second snippets of different real time cutscenes are all played back intercut without any pauses. Unless they didn't, of course.

anihawks update makes me second guess nvm

Kayhan

DataBot said:
Can you give me a reason why it would be $249 ?
I gave you some good reasons, which are about printing alot of money through the mass market.
Iwata has said that they intend to make money on every 3DS sold. And they sure have with the DS.

Now, I don't know what the 3DS costs Nintendo to manufacture, but it can't be cheap. Additionally, I think demand for the 3DS will be HUGE right out of the gate. Why not charge as much as you can get away with at launch?

I agree with Pachter that the Wii got priced to cheap. I think Nintendo agrees too, and this time they won't make that mistake. Don't leave money on the table.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
yurinka said:
Super Street Fighter IV doesn't use the MT Framework. And Resident Evil 5 is the only game in the series that uses this engine, all the other recent RE games doesn't use it
Oops, you're right. I forgot. Anyhow, Capcom's recent engines/games done for PC/360/PS3 can be down-scaled to the 3DS which is something that I'm very happy about. The lack of Capcom games on the DS was saddening :(

DataBot

AniHawk said:
No need to moneyhat them a new handheld device with no piracy and many anti piracy measures .
And if it will be a launch title with the millions of 3DS units sold and few launch games to choose from that should be enough Anihawk .

AniHawk

mugurumakensei said:
Anihawk said you could move around the scene like mgs3d so.....

let me correct myself: you can move around the scene, but not exactly like in mgs3d. in mgs3d, you could rotate around the environment (there's a scene in the video where the perspective shifts to under the bridge as Snake's running across). RE, iirc, was a panning/zooming thing. but my initial impression upon playing both was "all you can do is move the camera" and i didn't bother to think of the differences. looking at the little video i totally did not nab (after i made that first post here about the camera), it looks like i'm moving up on the slider, which should shift the camera's position so you're looking down at the prisoner guy, but it doesn't.

sorry about the mixup guys. didn't think about it.

AniHawk said:
you know, i don't think it would be possible to rotate around the scene, what with all those cuts and stuff? you can't see it in the mgs3d video, but it's all one, long, uncut sequence.

Thanks, That's what I was expecting.

Let me guess the dumb plot twist.

Chris is really a clone of the guy in the chair.

The guy in the chair is a Wesker, but also Chris' brother.

The reason Jill looks so ugly is because the guy in the chair botched her plastic surgery.... and is also related to Chris for really dumb reasons.

AniHawk said:

Well, at this stage would you - as Capcom - sink money and time into a project like RE for the PSP (which, given the lack of info at its announcement and since, was probably not far along anyway) given both:

-- The atrocious state of PSP software sales in the West (a big chunk of the market for RE, unlike Monster Hunter) and the utter failure of the PSPGo to do anything to turn that around, and;

-- The imminent launch of the successor to the DS, presenting you with an opportunity to get in early on the system with a full, new RE title (unlike Deadly Silence) and build an audience for your products on what is likely to be a hugely successful platform?

Kayhan

Sadist said:
The guy in the chair could be a Tricell employee gone mad
Didn't you see the abs gif?

Thats a main character right there. No way you model those glorious abs for some lowly Tricell employee.

Kayhan said:
Didn't you see the abs gif?

Thats a main character right there. No way you model those glorious abs for some lowly Tricell employee.

I'm pretty sure Hunk could have those abs, he's motherfucking Hunk after all!!!

Nessus

Hope this ends up being what I was hoping Capcom would do for Wii: an original single player RE game based around RE4-style gameplay (no RE5-style co-op, please).

Zenith

Banned
Capcom said:
Featuring appearances from Chris Redfield and Jill Valentine the trailer is rendered in real time using the game engine.

Capcom said:
Featuring appearances from Chris Redfield and Jill Valentine the trailer is rendered in real time using the game engine.

Capcom said:

Capcom said:

Capcom said:

Capcom said:

Capcom said:

Capcom said:

ITT people need to learn to read.

Fimbulvetr said:
Let me guess the dumb plot twist.

Chris is really a clone of the guy in the chair.

The guy in the chair is a Wesker, but also Chris' brother.

The reason Jill looks so ugly is because the guy in the chair botched her plastic surgery.... and is also related to Chris for really dumb reasons.
:lol

Watch out, I think Capcom may hire you as a scriptwriter!

WARP10CK

Banned
I have not had a Nintendo handheld since the gba but I really want the 3ds now.

I hope they are going back to the old style with this resident evil.

Eteric Rice

Graphics Horse said:
I'm still convinced it was playing back video (cut together from footage rendered in real time using the game engine)

Why is it so hard to believe that it's real time?

Portables have come a long way now.

Relaxed Muscle said:
I'm pretty sure Hunk could have those abs, he's motherfucking Hunk after all!!!
Pretty sure they just recycled the Warrior Chris model.

re2_1vcoq.gif

66d7ae.png

Portugeezer

Doesn't look like CGI, I can only say that is a fantastic looking cutscene.

It does help that everything is dark though, don't know how well it would hold up in brighter lighting.

Hopefully the gameplay holds up.

Top Bottom