• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Revelations (3DS) real-time demo video

Eteric Rice said:
Why is it so hard to believe that it's real time?

Portables have come a long way now.
I think it's just the difference in the graphics from game to game shown on 3DS that has made people confused. I guess we just have to wait for more videoes. I don't really see it as impossible for the graphics to be like MGS and the RE demoes.

The amount of PSP fanboys lurking about in 3DS threads however is alarming, why are they getting so defensive and aggressive when the PSP is like 4 years old. Hell some people are even defending the PS2 still, getting upset that the 3DS may be more powerful :lol

MNC

So when people say in-game, it's actually being played. Realtime = ?? Rendered on the engine then recorded? Or what?

Furret

Banned
DataBot said:
Can you give me a reason why it would be $249?
I gave you some good reasons, which are about printing alot of money through the mass market.

Speaking to website VentureBeat, Iwata commented that, "We believe we will produce enough value worthy of the production cost. We do not think we have to sell the products below cost."

However, Iwata would not be drawn on the price of the console, indicating that no final decision has yet been made. He did admit though that, "What I can confirm is that, in terms of the production costs, it will cost more than the costs for the Nintendo DS today."

Source: gamesindustry.biz

Eteric Rice

Furret said:
Speaking to website VentureBeat, Iwata commented that, "We believe we will produce enough value worthy of the production cost. We do not think we have to sell the products below cost."

However, Iwata would not be drawn on the price of the console, indicating that no final decision has yet been made. He did admit though that, "What I can confirm is that, in terms of the production costs, it will cost more than the costs for the Nintendo DS today."

Source: <a href="http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/3ds-to-be-sold-at-profit-from-launch-article">http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/3ds-to-be-sold-at-profit-from-launch-article</a>

Yes, production costs are higher, we know. We also know that the DS made a shit ton of profit off of every unit sold. They could probably sell this thing at $179 if they wanted to and still make bank.

Portugeezer

MNC said:
So when people say in-game, it's actually being played. Realtime = ?? Rendered on the engine then recorded? Or what?
I believe they mean it's rendered by the 3DS hardware.

There have been cases when they try to spin words to trick people, but this does look in-game/rendered by 3DS.

DataBot

Kayhan said:
Iwata has said that they intend to make money on every 3DS sold. And they sure have with the DS.

Now, I don't know what the 3DS costs Nintendo to manufacture, but it can't be cheap. Additionally,

Hardware companies never talk about the manufacturing prices but lets take the Wii it uses almost the same GC chipset clocked higher + wifi + 512mb local storage.
They sold the GC at a time before launching the Wii at $99 and still made profit, by the time the Wii came the manufacturing price for the console itself only shouldnt be more than $100 and got sold for $249.

Think about the DS it wasnt hi tech it was more like an n64 portable not like the psp, by the time the DS lite came out you saw it selling $149 and sometimes at $99 .
My DS lite broke and guarantee didnt cover it how much do you think did i pay for the replacement ? $20 thats it .

The 3DS hardware is nice but isnt Hi tech too it has almost the same features as the DSi with a new board which isnt exactly using the newest GPU tech its somewhere between the year 2006 and 2010.
The 3DS touch screen costs $10 and 3d display costs between $20-$30 the GPU should be near that price range.
Maybe now you will have and idea about Hardware manufacturing costs.
they can sell the 3DS at $149 and make profit, but not enough, thats why it will cost $199.

Kayhan said:
I think demand for the 3DS will be HUGE right out of the gate. Why not charge as much as you can get away with at launch?

I agree with Pachter that the Wii got priced to cheap. I think Nintendo agrees too, and this time they won't make that mistake. Don't leave money on the table.

It will be huge at launch but the only bottleneck for the 3DS now could be the price $249 is simply insane and would be shitty business decision for the mass market.
Why not charge as much as they can ? cause they arent Activision and $199 is the most they can charge at launch.
Pachter is best friends with Kotick now thank god nintendo isnt, the Wii had the right price at $249, just $50 bucks more and it could have killed the Wii even if it was going for $500 at ebay,those were the die hard nintendo fans who bought it for this price.
If nintendo would have agreed to it they would have sold the Wii themselfs for $500 but who would buy it for that price from nintendo?.

$199 is the right pricepoint.

Furret

Banned
Eteric Rice said:
Yes, production costs are higher, we know. We also know that the DS made a shit ton of profit off of every unit sold. They could probably sell this thing at $179 if they wanted to and still make bank.

"Probably"? What are you basing that on?

$249 is a far more sensible guess given the technological leap from the DS, the comments about higher production costs and the current cost of the DS (especially the DSi XL).

$199 isn't impossible but it's also largely wishful thinking at this point.

Eteric Rice said:
Why is it so hard to believe that it's real time?

Portables have come a long way now.

Because they'd have to design the memory footprint around the ability to rapidly cut between a bunch of different cutscenes which you'll never see together in the final game. Let me know if you find any games on modern systems which have done this, otherwise I'm not discussing it any more.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
MNC said:

"In-game" usually means gameplay, while "in-engine" means that it's being rendered in real-time by the game engine but is not interactive. There's no player control, no AI, etc, so more power can be spent on making it look good.

If it's recorded... well, it might still be "in-engine", but not real-time.

Kayhan

Furret said:
$249 is a far more sensible guess given the technological leap from the DS, the comments about higher production costs and the current cost of the DS (especially the DSi XL).
Good point.

The DS XL is selling for US$ 189 and people think nintendo will settle for 199 for the 3DS? LOL

Solo said:
3DS will be $250
We could be friends

ResidentDante said:
I think it's just the difference in the graphics from game to game shown on 3DS that has made people confused. I guess we just have to wait for more videoes. I don't really see it as impossible for the graphics to be like MGS and the RE demoes.

The amount of PSP fanboys lurking about in 3DS threads however is alarming, why are they getting so defensive and aggressive when the PSP is like 4 years old. Hell some people are even defending the PS2 still, getting upset that the 3DS may be more powerful :lol
The PSP is 6 years old.

Wow, first time seing this. Impressive stuff.

cvxfreak

Regarding 3DS pricing, since Nintendo is obviously going to keep the original DS (DSi and DSi XL in particular) around after the 3DS comes out, I can see Nintendo pricing the 3DS high for the first year or two. I don't ever see it being higher than $249.99/¥25,000.

They just dropped the DS prices in Japan and Europe, but the DS (Lite) is still higher pricer than the GBA ever was.

Zenith

Banned
Bizzyb said:
Zenith, link? source?

email, from Capcom, to anyone signed up to Capcom's PR list.

they have a 60meg version of the trailer. Once you see it and notice details like the heavily pixelised shadows you'll be convinced.

the 6 screens they released. yes, even that clip with the cruise ship on the waves was realtime.

149c9q8.jpg

21eqg0o.jpg

s4mhdz.jpg

5f3vbo.jpg

kcfl28.jpg

503d6r.jpg

xbaant.jpg

the "mansion" rendered on the 3DS

24nnpe0.jpg

2qateh3.jpg

2vx53wm.jpg

Jill has an M4 with a massive bayonet.

m966w8.jpg

I tried to brighten caps of the guy in the chair but still too unclear. The only thing I can say is that he looks exactly like Chris in the first scene, then in the 2nd scene he reminds me of Hunk unmasked.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Zenith said:
email, from Capcom, to anyone signed up to Capcom's PR list.

they have a 60meg version of the trailer. Once you see it and notice details like the heavily pixelised shadows you'll be convinced.
Megaupload the trailer, please!

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Zenith said:
Also, when looking closely at those screenshots, I can't help but notice that their arms appear to be hexagons.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
jrricky said:
Is this the PSP game that was announced last year?
The complete lack of Resident Evil Portable at E3 (it wasn't even mentioned by Sony during their press conference) would seem to suggest that it is.

Spiegel

Nirolak said:
The complete lack of Resident Evil Portable at E3 (it wasn't even mentioned by Sony during their press conference) would seem to suggest that it is.

Considering Capcom Japan never acknowledged its existence, I doubt the game existed outside of a logo made by Capcom USA.

DMeisterJ

Banned
God, this game looks awesome.

I tried to convince myself I didn't want the 3DS, but fucking Resident Evil Portable that looks good? omg.

Somehow, I doubt this was RE Portable. I just don't think RE:p really existed, much like DMC PSP.
Nirolak said:
Also, when looking closely at those screenshots, I can't help but notice that their arms appear to be hexagons.
And that's why it's low poly (a lot lower than REmake/Zero and closer to CVX, maybe). A lot of people are not noticing that but the elaborate use of shaders which makes the game look more impressive. I have zero doubt the thing is being run by the 3ds.

Zenith

Banned
http://www.mediafire.com/?1ct3izmulua

Here's the Hi-Q trailer. Add it to the OP maybe?

From what I can tell, sometime in the game Jill discovers Chris (or his doppelganger) is doing something evil. She (and maybe Hunk) take him down and tie him to a chair. Then they remove his shirt. Then she goes off. During which Chris escapes and puts Hunk in the chair as a distraction. Jill comes back, makes some frustrated/interrogative comments at the guy in the chair thinking it's Chris. Chris steps out of the shadows and turns the tables.

Just like what CVX had.

Sadist

I agree with Segata btw. I just can't imagine Nintendo charging over $ 200 for a handheld. It's going to be $ 189,99. If it crosses the $ 200 mark, it will be $ 229,99 or something like that.

Kayhan

Sadist said:
It's going to be $ 189,99 or something like that. If it crosses the $ 200 mark, it will be $ 229,99 or something like that.
The list of future crow-eaters grows ever longer. Though you do kinda waver by admitting it could be 229.

Donnie

brain_stew said:
The Pico200 doesn't support MSAA so unless Nintendo have altered the chip's capabilities, (and considering none of the released screenshots have MSAA, that would seem highly unlikely) then no, you're not getting any AA in S3D mode.

I agree that if they haven't included a cheap AA method we'll be extremely unlikely to see AA used in many 3D games. But I wouldn't rule out some kind of AA being used in some games (SSAA 2x1?) depending on the final fillrate spec. I mean even in 3D mode the fillrate neccesary per 3D frame is still only 63% that of consoles like GC and Wii.

mclem

Deku said:
$229 in Japan - November

$229 in USA with pack-in / $250 Canada with French instruction manuals. - December

Europe TBA 2011

Hey, maybe since the DS did so well in Europe, they'll give it to us first!

Right?

Right?

*sob*

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Kayhan said:
The list of future crow-eaters grows ever longer. Though you do kinda waver by admitting it could be 229.
must....resist.....replying.....
You seem so sure for the price.

Here's another one for the list:
US: $200-$230,
Europe: €$200-€230
Japan ¥20.000-¥22.000

Top Bottom