• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles - News and Info Thread

blu said:
it's much cheaper to fire up a rendition in max than to produce a good-loking in-engine cutscene.

Yeah, cheap, cheaper, cheapest... the principal understanding of 3rd-Parties Wii-understanding.

Thats so dissappointing, realtime sequences are always impressing me so much more, even if they are visually inferior...

Frencherman said:
Yeah, cheap, cheaper, cheapest... the principal understanding of 3rd-Parties Wii-understanding.

Thats so dissappointing, realtime sequences are always impressing me so much more, even if they are visually inferior...

Agreed, bonus costumes reflected in cutscenes for the win.

Meesh

cvxfreak said:
So, is this the first time outside of the Outbreak games where we control two men at the same time?
I'd prefer controlling two hot women, girl on girl + zombie action would be top notch satisfaction. I get tired of guys taking the lead roles, seriously, there needs to be more female protagonists/heroes/whatever. But, Wii owners can't be choosers... btw, I kinda liked your other avatar :(

cvxfreak

Evilink said:
I'd prefer controlling two hot women, girl on girl + zombie action would be top notch satisfaction. I get tired of guys taking the lead roles, seriously, there needs to be more female protagonists/heroes/whatever. But, Wii owners can't be choosers... btw, I kinda liked your other avatar :(

It was a nice shot of Jill, yeah. :D

Speaking of Jill, I was hoping she'd have a role in DSC, just so we can say we've finally gotten a game with the four main RE protagonists in it. But alas, no luck.

Nemesis_

New scans are out and reveal a new character: Javier, and a new creature as well - can anyone actually make out what the creature is? >_>

cvxfreak

Nemesis556 said:
New scans are out and reveal a new character: Javier, and a new creature as well - can anyone actually make out what the creature is? >_>

I have the magazine with me. The new creature looks like some kind of... thing. :lol

Has either four tentacles, two frog legs and a mouth with claws protruding from underneath.

Definitely a nasty little creature. :D

Looks like an advanced plagas parasite however I could be wrong since the feet on the back end resemble that of a goat.
Also I should let you fellas know RE: DSC appeared in my gold box t'day over at big river for $46.99. That with the 10% discount should save you guys a bit.

The screenshots on the official site were updated a few days ago. Some of them are new (I think we didn't see the Bandersnatch before).

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

SuperÑ

OptionN, ShiftN
TheKingsCrown said:
Your post history is a brilliant look into your true intentions with your comment.

Sorry? I love Resident Evil and i'm looking forward to play this on my Wii. And you can not argue those are "touched" promotionals screenshots from Capcom itself.

SuperÑ said:
You mean "bullshots". It can not look THAT good.

some of these are from cutscenes and have you seen the gameplay videos. It has an overall very clean look, so I can't see any of those pics being bullshots

Sadist

Wait, how many people didn't play CVX in this thread?

That house is awesome with Alfred en Alexia, great mindfuck

Sadist said:
Wait, how many people didn't play CVX in this thread?

That house is awesome with Alfred en Alexia, great mindfuck

There's a room in that house with a fire place I didn't discover until my third or fourth playthrough of Code Veronica. In fact, it may have been more than that. I don't know why I'm mentioning this, but it's true.

obaidr

Banned
the screens are all CGI and in engine renders. Since every frame is scripted all the power is used for making the graphics and then you can get easily this render quality. There been rail shooters in the past which only used pre rendered movies. Every frame is maped so the system know where you are shooting. And then if you shot ten times at the same place the system knows it needs show the next FMV and so on.

I wonder what we could get if someone would make such a game for PS360. :D

Sadist

Dead Man Typing said:
There's a room in that house with a fire place I didn't discover until my third or fourth playthrough of Code Veronica. In fact, it may have been more than that. I don't know why I'm mentioning this, but it's true.
Oh, the one with a Bandersnatch in it? Yeah, I remember.

obaidr said:
the screens are all CGI and in engine renders. Since every frame is scripted all the power is used for making the graphics and then you can get easily this render quality. There been rail shooters in the past which only used pre rendered movies. Every frame is maped so the system know where you are shooting. And then if you shot ten times at the same place the system knows it needs show the next FMV and so on.

except that you can turn the camera where ever you want. any of the screen shots with a cross hair on screen are gameplay.

now, yes, there won't be perfect anti aliasing in the game as there are in these shots, but that's the only difference.

yes, being on rails gives you some control over how much is going on at once, but there's really no reason, given that you can look in which ever direction you want, that equivalent graphics could be achieved in a game that gave you freedom of movement were it equally linear.

the textures, models and environment are all about of the quality we saw in RE4 already (a bit better perhaps). it's amazing what a bit of bloom and a grain filter makes people think they're looking at.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
obaidr said:

You can take a look at the el gigante fight in RE5 for what a RE railgun shooter on 360/PS3 would look like.

EmCeeGramr said:
Argh, the camera is still fucked. :(

I'm sorry, but the constant bobbing around makes it look unplayable to me. It pisses me off because the press telegraphed the problem a long time ago, but the developers don't seem to give a shit. I love the scenarios they're covering, but the shaky cam looks like a deal breaker for a game that's all about aiming and accuracy. It's "style" over practicality. So frustrating.

xfactor

Banned
GrotesqueBeauty said:
Argh, the camera is still fucked. :(

I'm sorry, but the constant bobbing around makes it look unplayable to me. It pisses me off because the press telegraphed the problem a long time ago, but the developers don't seem to give a shit. I love the scenarios they're covering, but the shaky cam looks like a deal breaker for a game that's all about aiming and accuracy. It's "style" over practicality. So frustrating.

Some of the journalists claimed that they have toned down the shaking cam by a lot from the latest version of the game demo.

They got Krauser's old VA back YES!

"Hey, this guy looks hurt"

"Hold on, there's something not right about him"

FUCK YOU ITS A ZOMBIE YOURE IN RESIDENT EVIL ITS ALWAYS GONNA BE A ZOMBIE!

Fimbulvetr said:
That's called the uncanny valley.

I'm surprised, I thought that we'd been leaving it since last gen.

It's definitely not the uncanny valley. It looks fake cause they didn't spend enough time/money on it. It's what cutting corners gets you in the year 2009. Still looks good, surely good enough but looks off.

You see that quality of fmv in lots of games now. They realize at a fraction of the cost and time, you can get "good enough" cgi. Cgi isn't the selling point it was during the ffvii days.

Mega Mike

Banned
Those screens look damn good.

If this was outputted in HD, I could see DSC being ported to Natal and the wand, knowing Capcom and their milking....

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
CultureClearance said:
It's definitely not the uncanny valley. It looks fake cause they didn't spend enough time/money on it. It's what cutting corners gets you in the year 2009. Still looks good, surely good enough but looks off.

You see that quality of fmv in lots of games now. They realize at a fraction of the cost and time, you can get "good enough" cgi. Cgi isn't the selling point it was during the ffvii days.
Yeah, I think that's whats been bothering me. The CG isn't terrible my any means, but it definitely looks fairly low-budget considering the quality of the CG in some of Capcoms other games. Anyways, the new trailer looks really good, except for the camera, which is still bothering me despite the reports that the developers toned it down.

Top Bottom