• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles - News and Info Thread

Tenbatsu

I can confirm they reuse Chris RE5 model for Krauser!

The whole game looks good except this
s4uaur.png

I like that Krauser tries to talk to one of the zombies first. :lol

But c'mon Leon, you should know better. "Something's wrong with this guy"?

Anyway, screens and art:

resident-evil-the-darkside-chronicles-20090923062614141.jpg

resident-evil-the-darkside-chronicles-20090923062616141.jpg

resident-evil-the-darkside-chronicles-20090923062617688.jpg

resident-evil-the-darkside-chronicles-20090923062628016.jpg

resident-evil-the-darkside-chronicles-20090923062626438.jpg

resident-evil-the-darkside-chronicles-20090923062622047.jpg

resident-evil-the-darkside-chronicles-20090923062629625.jpg

resident-evil-the-darkside-chronicles-20090923062631375.jpg

resident-evil-the-darkside-chronicles-20090923062638406.jpg

resident-evil-the-darkside-chronicles-20090923062640187.jpg

resident-evil-the-darkside-chronicles-20090923062635609.jpg

resident-evil-the-darkside-chronicles-20090923062619438.jpg

resident-evil-the-darkside-chronicles-20090923062632984.jpg

resident-evil-the-darkside-chronicles-20090923062623656.jpg

EmCeeGramr said:
I like that Krauser tries to talk to one of the zombies first. :lol

But c'mon Leon, you should know better. "Something's wrong with this guy"?

Anyway, screens and art:

Delicious shots

I really like the view of the rising boardwalk. It looks pretty good up close, and it scales pretty well when the camera pulls back to let you see the environment.

Can't wait to play this.

beje

Banned
I've just seen the last videos and come on, the game dips into single-digit framerate so many times it's not funny.

Where's the point of making your game pretty if it's unplayable? And it's not like they took the time to fix the pointer a la HOTD Overkill.

thefro

The South America scenario looks really cool, almost tempting me to buy this.

I think the RE4/RE5 type action fits an on-rails shooter better as well.

xfactor

Banned
GrotesqueBeauty said:
I hope it's true, but you'd never know from that trailer.

if you need convincing, IGN have just stated the same thing in their latest preview, not once but several times

The shaky cam is reduced, headshots are now implemented at a higher rate, and weapons are more powerful, allowing for some seriously entertaining gunplay. The difference between E3's demo and what is being shown here at TGS is – pardon the pun – night and day.

Shaky cam is used primarily during semi-scripted movement

With less shaky cam and more interaction within the enviornment, Darkside Chronicles feels like a whole different game.

shaky cam has been reduced a bit from what I can tell.

kinggroin

Banned
Hmmmm, I'm not liking the visuals on this for whatever reason. Looks flat.... or something. Personally, I think the darker environments in the first made that game look MUCH better than this one.

Still, this should be an improvement gameplay wise right?

beje

Banned
Andrex said:
Even still, it looks like the CG from the first game. Kinda. Very pretty.

And what's the point of making it pretty if it's completely unplayable due to jumpy pointer lag? It's like 2005 all over again "OMG it needz more BuMp MaP and TeH ShinIes even if the models look like pulled straight out a varnish pool with a 1000W light bulb inside and the framerate rarely goes over 20"

TunaLover

I wonder if Capcom/Cavia will tune down some graphical features to improve framerate, so far only Operation Javier has that problem =/ It´s even worst than REUC Russia mission. It could be a video problem... I´m not sure...

EDIT: A framerate lockup should be enough to do the trick too.

Stitch

Gold Member
strange, the framerate looks crappy on gametrailers but if you watch the video on youtube then it looks smoother o__O

btw the zombie girls have jiggly boobies :lol

TunaLover

Stitch said:
strange, the framerate looks crappy on gametrailers but if you watch the video on youtube then it looks smoother o__O

btw the zombie girls have jiggly boobies :lol

Do you have the link? I see some others from Operation Javier, still with bumpy framerate, even the FMV was bumpy, that lead me to think there´s a problem with the video.

TunaLover

Definitively alot more smooth, crappy gametrailer video =/

It´s impressive, eye candy images running at that framerate, looks like a doped Wii.
Thanks!

xfactor said:
if you need convincing, IGN have just stated the same thing in their latest preview, not once but several times
The preview sounds promising until the last part where Bozon seems unsure about whether his play through of the stage from his last preview was actually better or he was just imagining things. There's still reason for some skepticism imo. At least it's good to know that the newest stage they're showing addresses some of the issues, I just hope those changes carry over to the rest of the game. I'm rooting for it to come together because I love killing zombies and RE2 and Code Veronica are some of my favotrite scenarios in the franchise. Those levels are basically the selling point for me.

beje

Banned
GrotesqueBeauty said:
The preview sounds promising until the last part where Bozon seems unsure about whether his play through of the stage from his last preview was actually better or he was just imagining things. There's still reason for some skepticism imo. At least it's good to know that the newest stage they're showing addresses some of the issues, I just hope those changes carry over to the rest of the game. I'm rooting for it to come together because I love killing zombies and RE2 and Code Veronica are some of my favotrite scenarios in the franchise. Those levels are basically the selling point for me.

IGN Hands-on and Previews are 95% PR, and will make even the shittiest shovelware ever released look somehow decent then slap a sub-6 score, so this is still a "meh".

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
But does it still have the game breakingly laggy cursor movement and slow, tedious gunplay?

After playing Extraction, and how much I enjoyed Overkill, weighed against how much I hated Umbrella Chronicles, this has everything stacked against my enjoyment.

If they fix the problems with the first I'll dig in.

EatChildren said:
But does it still have the game breakingly laggy cursor movement and slow, tedious gunplay?

After playing Extraction, and how much I enjoyed Overkill, weighed against how much I hated Umbrella Chronicles, this has everything stacked against my enjoyment.

If they fix the problems with the first I'll dig in.
The youtube video with the new level looks like it has a lot of lulls in the action while characters talk. Of course, the editing of the video seems to focus on those parts more than the actual shooting sections for some inexplicable reason, so it's hard to tell what the actual in-game ratio is. I'm hoping that at the very least they sneak in more breakable objects and hidden items during those sequences. They're not that bad the first time you play through a level, but when you go back to get better rankings it's a pain in the ass when 1/3 of the level is downtime between groups of enemies.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
GrotesqueBeauty said:
The youtube video with the new level looks like it has a lot of lulls in the action while characters talk. Of course, the editing of the video seems to focus on those parts more than the actual shooting sections for some inexplicable reason, so it's hard to tell what the actual in-game ratio is. I'm hoping that at the very least they sneak in more breakable objects and hidden items during those sequences. They're not that bad the first time you play through a level, but when you go back to get better rankings it's a pain in the ass when 1/3 of the level is downtime between groups of enemies.

I dont mind scripted talking scenes, as long as they're not too long (as you said). I just felt the actual gunplay in Umbrella Chronicles to be slow and sluggish. Nothing felt accurate or hard hitting, enemies didn't really feel 'involved' in the game. Stuff like that.

Stuff that I think Overkill and Extraction did well. Overkill is fast and simple and gets straight to the pointer. Extraction is slower, but still fast enough and action packed to really keep things moving, plus has really top quality scripted moments. That and the gunplay feels great; guns hit hard, limbs fly off, and heads explode in a mist.

Umbrella Chronicles for me felt like 'camera turn', 'point and shoot at slow moving zombies that take forever to go down', 'camera move down hallway', 'repeat'. When gunplay is pretty much the game it needs to feel good.

EatChildren said:
I dont mind scripted talking scenes, as long as they're not too long (as you said). I just felt the actual gunplay in Umbrella Chronicles to be slow and sluggish. Nothing felt accurate or hard hitting, enemies didn't really feel 'involved' in the game. Stuff like that.

Stuff that I think Overkill and Extraction did well. Overkill is fast and simple and gets straight to the pointer. Extraction is slower, but still fast enough and action packed to really keep things moving, plus has really top quality scripted moments. That and the gunplay feels great; guns hit hard, limbs fly off, and heads explode in a mist.

Umbrella Chronicles for me felt like 'camera turn', 'point and shoot at slow moving zombies that take forever to go down', 'camera move down hallway', 'repeat'. When gunplay is pretty much the game it needs to feel good.
Yeah, the hit detection and animations could've used some work. Thankfully all the impressions seem to indicate that's an area where Darkside Chronicles has improved dramatically, even if there isn't any dismemberment. I actually didn't have as much of a problem with it in Umbrella Chronicles as most people, but it was frustrating at times when you'd unload a clip into a zombie's face and they didn't even stumble back. I'm glad the reactions sound like they're more dynamic in the sequel. Hopefully the sweet spot for head shots will also make more sense this time. In UC it was like aiming to shoot a toupee off their head rather than blow their brains out. I never understood that shit. That said, I'm in the minority that didn't really find Overkill's gameplay significantly better than UC. I liked the fast pacing I guess, but it was very samey throughout, and a cakewalk to boot. The sheer novelty of it all kept me going, but I didn't think the level design itself was anything to write home about.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Andrex said:
How... can they make it look that good? Shoot...
Rail shooters are almost a best-case scenario for being able to make a game look as good as possible on the hardware. It's easy to optimize your assets when you know exactly where the camera will be at all times.
It's kinda like how previz for movie CG is partially to determine how much detail is needed for the models. If something is always far from camera, you can make it simple, even just a texture painted onto one poly if it's far enough.

can i laugh at everyone yet that didn't believe me when i was saying the screenshot from the South America campaign just had bumped up IQ and a bad photoshop blur added to it, and that everything else was clearly something the wii was capable of running?

cause i've been waiting.

cvxfreak

In case anyone was wondering, Operation Javier does indeed flow logically after CODE: Veronica in terms of plot. I'd go as far as calling Operation Javier a more immediate sequel to CV than RE5 based on what I saw at the Capcom Premium Theater at TGS.

Amalthea

Banned
Hey, the Gamma Hunters are back and they're using the Outbreak-models! :D
Someone in the team seems to love those games but why didn't they include them in the RE3-chapter of Umbrella Chronicles?

TunaLover

cvxfreak said:
In case anyone was wondering, Operation Javier does indeed flow logically after CODE: Veronica in terms of plot. I'd go as far as calling Operation Javier a more immediate sequel to CV than RE5 based on what I saw at the Capcom Premium Theater at TGS.

Good news :D

Mithos

Baiano19 said:
Originally Posted by Stitch:
btw the zombie girls have jiggly boobies

I am ashamed to say I noticed it...

Yeah I noticed too, what the hell is up with that Capcom/Cavia? :lol :lol

cvxfreak

The Capcom Premium Trailer is good, but chock full of spoilers, so if it ever does get out, make sure you don't mind spoilers before watching it.

Wesker and Chris
are seen in it, btw.

Top Bottom