• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles: Official Thread

dfi said:
One thing I love about the game is that it encourages replaying previous levels because the later levels are really hard and require upgraded weaponry. So you really need to do well in the earlier levels so that you can buy weapon upgrades to have any chance of success at the later ones.

I hate the crimson heads.

Also, does anybody know what the weak spot for those leach guys is?

Thats exactly what I want to know. I can't find their weak spot!

dfi

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Thats exactly what I want to know. I can't find their weak spot!

Yeah I go through a ton of machine gun or shotgun ammo just to kill those leach guys and would prefer to save them up for the bosses.

dfi said:
Yeah I go through a ton of machine gun or shotgun ammo just to kill those leach guys and would prefer to save them up for the bosses.

I think I might just start scoping out the strategy guide to see if they mention their weakpoint.

Bebpo

Banned
I picked this up today and played through the first 2 chapters with a friend.

how the hell can anyone be scoring this 8s?

I really don't see many changes from the E3 version which everyone agreed was total 4/10 quality shit. Game moves at the pace of molasses, shots do not feel like they have weight, and the camera movements are pretty stupid (lets spend 10 seconds look at this bookshelf. It's like they tried imitating how people play it in normal RE, but now you're the guy yelling at your friend to get moving and stop being an idiot).

On the plus side, the graphics are a lot better than at E3. Game looks pretty nice, no complaints.

I'm going to slump through this for the story alone, but my god is this going to be an awful trek especially when there are all these fantastic games being released this winter. Does anyone have the full staff list? Do we know who made this?

After having watched the "Umbrella's End" scenario, my worst fears have been confirmed:

That has to be the lamest shit CAPCOM ever pulled off.

Chris and Jill fly to a Russian Umbrella base wondering about the existence of a rumoured B.O.W. They go in there, kill hundreds of monsters, make their way down to the basement were they find said B.O.W. and take it down. Nothing more.
A few seconds later Chris and Jill are back on the surface: "They're done for. We struck a fatal blow. The end of Umbrella is just a question of time."

Are you serious, CAPCOM? Is this not just a bad dream? It's just like they adapted the fanfic of some twelve-year-old kid. Every friggin amateur could've done better than that.

So let's summarize:
1. Chris and Jill go to Russia wondering about the existence of a B.O.W., even "hoping that new bio weapon is just a rumour".
2. They don't give any mission objective whatsoever, they just go there. Neither to collect evidence, nor to destroy the facility, nor to defeat the B.O.W. (they are not even sure it exists).
3. The facility is brimming with hundreds and hundreds of monsters - although not a single reason for an outbreak is given. That is just really, really, REALLY stupid. Every previous title in the series had a good explanation for the viruses breaking out: In biohazard and biohazard 0, it was James Marcus who spread it. In BIOHAZARD 2 and BIOHAZARD 3 LAST ESCAPE, the rats were the carriers because of the leaked t-Virus in the sewers (due to HUNK's mission). In GUN SURVIVOR, it was Vincent who released the virus, whereas in HEROES NEVER DIE, it was done by Morpheus.
4. They infiltrate the facility without any problems - no security mechanisms, no guards, no nothing. Hello? This is supposed to be an Umbrella stronghold and they don't even protect it from intruders? The Paris lab seemed to be way more important than that, as Claire nearly got killed by dozens of soldiers and an attack chopper while she was in there.
5. Throughout the whole scenario Chris and Jill basically just say "blah, blah, blah, blah, blah."
6. They get to the basement, T-A.L.O.S. gets thrown at them by Sergei and they just kill it. They don't even muse about who Sergei could be.
7. A few seconds later they are back on the surface. They didn't blow up the facility, they only took out the bio weapon THEY WERE NOT EVEN AWARE OF while flying there and then call that a "fatal blow" to Umbrella. I'm not getting the logic here.

So, if that's how Umbrella's end shall be depicted: FUCK YOU, CAPCOM! The crashing stock prices from biohazard4 were a better explanation than this shit.
I'm not taking any of that crap as canon. Hopefully that novel will be released in the USA as I'm really interested in what the story would have looked like if it had actually made sense.

Note: I still haven't watched "Dark Legacy 2", but I have my doubts that this will improve the "story" in any way.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Prime Blue said:
After having watched the "Umbrella's End" scenario, my worst fears have been confirmed:

That has to be the lamest shit Capcom ever pulled off.

Chris and Jill fly to a Russian Umbrella base wondering about the existence of a rumoured B.O.W. They go in there, kill hundreds of monsters, make their way down to the basement were they find said B.O.W. and take it down. Nothing more.
A few seconds later Chris and Jill are back on the surface: "They're done for. We struck a fatal blow. The end of Umbrella is just a question of time."

Are you serious, Capcom? Is this not just a bad dream? It's just like they adapted the fanfic of some twelve year old kid. Every friggin amateur could've done better than that.

So let's summarize:
1. Chris and Jill go to Russia wondering about the existence of a B.O.W., even "hoping that new bio weapon is just a rumour".
2. They don't give any mission objective whatsoever, they just go there. Neither to collect evidence, nor to destroy the facility, nor to defeat the B.O.W. (they are not even sure it exists).
3. The facility is brimming with hundreds and hundreds of monsters - although not a single reason for an outbreak is given. That is just really, really, REALLY stupid. Every previous title in the series had a good explanation for the viruses breaking out: In Resident Evil and Resident Evil Zero, it was James Marcus who spread it. In Resident Evil 2 and Resident Evil 3 Nemesis, the rats were the carriers because of the leaked t-Virus in the sewers (due to HUNK's mission). In Survivor, it was Vincent who released the virus, whereas in Dead Aim, it was done by Morpheus.
4. They infiltrate the facility without any problems - no security mechanisms, no guards, no nothing. Hello? This is supposed to be an Umbrella stronghold and they don't even protect it from intruders? The Paris lab seemed to be way more important than that, as Claire nearly got killed by dozens of soldiers and an attack chopper while she was in there.
5. Throughout the whole scenario Chris and Jill basically just say "blah, blah, blah, blah, blah."
6. They get to the basement, Talos gets thrown at them by Sergei and they just kill it. They don't even muse about who Sergei could be.
7. A few seconds later they are back on the surface. They didn't blow up the facility, they only took out the bio weapon THEY WERE NOT EVEN AWARE OF while flying there and then call that a "fatal blow" to Umbrella. I'm not getting the logic here.

So, if that's how Umbrella's end shall be depicted: FUCK YOU, Capcom! The crashing stock prices from Resident Evil 4 were a better explanation than this shit.
I'm not taking any of that crap as canon. Hopefully that novel will be released in the USA as I'm really interested in what the story would have looked like if it had actually made sense.

Note: I still haven't watched "Dark Legacy 2", but I have my doubts that this will improve the "story" in any way.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Thats super lame, even by Capcom's "standards". :|

Zeed

Banned
So finally picked up the game. It is an adequately good shooter, and harder than I thought it would be (I cannot wait to try this with co-op). I can totally see where the pointer gripes come from, though it doesn't break the game. So far it's precisely what I expected, so I'm well satisfied.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
Love this game. I love the controls and the gameplay is just awesome. Much better than all other light gun games.

TheCardPlayer

Bebpo said:
What? House Of The Dead? Time Crisis? Ghost Squad? I played pretty much every light gun game all the way to Project Horned Owl and this game is better than all of them. It's actually a game, not 30 minutes of gameplay and that's it.

It's the deepest on rails shooter ever.

shuri

Banned
Bebpo, I'd have to agree with you. I could barely finish the first stage. Everything about it just felt so wrong. The pacing was so odd yet slow. I know this game is suposed to be fanservice material, but holy god...

I love lightgun games, but the game feels just.. so odd and unfinished. It's just not interesting at all to play for me. This game is my gaming biggest letdown in years.

Bebpo

Banned
Pedobear said:
What? House Of The Dead? Time Crisis? Ghost Squad? I played pretty much every light gun game all the way to Project Horned Owl and this game is better than all of them. It's actually a game, not 30 minutes of gameplay and that's it.

But all those games you listed are really fun to play. Who cares about game length in a lightgun game? I'd rather have a 3 hour game with great replay value because it's very fun than a 10+ hour game that's boring.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Prime Blue said:

Are you serious, Capcom? Is this not just a bad dream? It's just like they adapted the fanfic of some twelve year old kid. Every friggin amateur could've done better than that.

So let's summarize:
3. The facility is brimming with hundreds and hundreds of monsters - although not a single reason for an outbreak is given. That is just really, really, REALLY stupid. Every previous title in the series had a good explanation for the viruses breaking out: In Resident Evil and Resident Evil Zero, it was James Marcus who spread it. In Resident Evil 2 and Resident Evil 3 Nemesis, the rats were the carriers because of the leaked t-Virus in the sewers (due to HUNK's mission). In Survivor, it was Vincent who released the virus, whereas in Dead Aim, it was done by Morpheus.
6. They get to the basement, Talos gets thrown at them by Sergei and they just kill it. They don't even muse about who Sergei could be.

So, if that's how Umbrella's end shall be depicted: FUCK YOU, Capcom! The crashing stock prices from Resident Evil 4 were a better explanation than this shit.

Good god. :lol

dfi

To each its own I guess, because I'm having a ton of fun with this game.

Bebpo said:
I picked this up today and played through the first 2 chapters with a friend.

how the hell can anyone be scoring this 8s?

I really don't see many changes from the E3 version which everyone agreed was total 4/10 quality shit. Game moves at the pace of molasses, shots do not feel like they have weight, and the camera movements are pretty stupid (lets spend 10 seconds look at this bookshelf. It's like they tried imitating how people play it in normal RE, but now you're the guy yelling at your friend to get moving and stop being an idiot).

On the plus side, the graphics are a lot better than at E3. Game looks pretty nice, no complaints.

I'm going to slump through this for the story alone, but my god is this going to be an awful trek especially when there are all these fantastic games being released this winter. Does anyone have the full staff list? Do we know who made this?

Pedobear said:

whoa, project horned owl was awesome (with 2 pistols and when I was 12/13

REPRESENT

MrDaravon

I haven't played this yet (my rental's on the way), but Bebpo, were you maybe expecting more of a straight-up lightgun game? Everyone seems to be saying it's more of an on-rails FPS, maybe different expectations? I would also guess that it probably paused at the bookshelf because you're supposed to be picking up documents for the unlocks or whatever it is.

And hell yes Project Horned Owl was awesome! I picked up a copy for like $2 a year or two ago, but it wouldn't load past the first level :(

TheCardPlayer

..pakbeka.. said:
whoa, project horned owl was awesome (with 2 pistols and when I was 12/13

REPRESENT
Yup. That game was great. But I'm just saying Umbrella Chronicles is it's Mario Galaxy compared to Project's Mario 64.

Ada's scenario "Death's Door" seems to be the most consistent and interesting so far.

That's fan service. Adding new information without contradicting given information, plus a pinch of speculation and uncertainty.

I'm examining the "Nightmare" scenario right now and will look into making this work somehow.

Oldschoolgamer

Yea, her story is actually decent. Wesker's is all I could hope for: him being a super badass. Oh, and Capcom stepped into Marvel territory with his virus. After reading the file, seeing him in this, and CVX...wtf is Chris going to do, other than shake his hand, for being the better man? The way he owns shit is priceless.

Bebpo

Banned
SailorDaravon said:
I haven't played this yet (my rental's on the way), but Bebpo, were you maybe expecting more of a straight-up lightgun game? Everyone seems to be saying it's more of an on-rails FPS, maybe different expectations? I would also guess that it probably paused at the bookshelf because you're supposed to be picking up documents for the unlocks or whatever it is.

It doesn't play like an FPS at all. The combat reminds me of RE1 gun-combat on rails and we all know RE1's strength wasn't in its standing around shooting zombies with a pistol one after another.

Oldschoolgamer said:
Yea, her story is actually decent. Wesker's is all I could hope for: him being a super badass. Oh, and Capcom stepped into Marvel territory with his virus. After reading the file, seeing him in this, and CVX...wtf is Chris going to do, other than shake his hand, for being the better man? The way he owns shit is priceless.

Well, combat-wise, we know Wesker is weaker than than the T-Veronica virus and possibly Birkin's G-Virus. Of course, that can be retconned anytime.

So let's summarize:

HAHAHAHAHAHA WHAT

Oldschoolgamer

Pureauthor said:
Well, combat-wise, we know Wesker is weaker than than the T-Veronica virus and possibly Birkin's G-Virus. Of course, that can be retconned anytime.

After seeing the ending of his story in this, he could have easily killed Veronica, and Birkin, if he needed to. If you mean the ridiculous tentacles and claws, then you have a point. Aside from that though, since he can still think(and regenerate limbs and the sort), I think it puts his virus a bit over the top, even though he admitted to being fueled by hate, after getting killed that one time. Turned him psychotic, I guess.

Knowing Capcom, they'd probably retconn stuff, anyway...like you said. "/

StranGER

has anyone seen this at a toys r us anywhere yet?

i got a gift card for one and can't find a single toys r us with one. they say they have not gotten it and have no clue when or if they will.

Zeed

Banned
Scrubking said:
This game is awesome and a lot harder than I anticipated.
Yeah the goddamn leech people killed me in the very second level and I was like "wut". That was an intense moment. I should probably have lobbed a grenade.

Dot50Cal

Banned
I find it pretty discouraging that you need to get an A or S rank on some levels to unlock the bonus ones. Really pissing me off. Can you do it on easy and still unlock them? I dont have the time to memorize each pattern. All I'm lacking in is critical hits.

Played through the Resident Evil Zero section co-op. What a bore that was. We both are Resident Evil fans ( he even owns the novels, and I even read them). Such a disgrace to the series. Controls are awful as well as the animations. There's almost no impact of your shots connecting. Might as well be playing lazer tag with the enemies. We also expected the "Chronicles" to be more comprehensive instead of just a "Previously on Resident Evil" mini recap.

The game is also too freaking easy on "Normal" and that was with the abyssmal controls. Every Resident Evil game had tension...the only tension I got from this game was if I might accidently hit my friend when shake n' baking the remote to reload.

Mammothtank said:
Played through the Resident Evil Zero section co-op. What a bore that was. We both are Resident Evil fans ( he even owns the novels, and I even read them). Such a disgrace to the series. Controls are awful as well as the animations. There's almost no impact of your shots connecting. Might as well be playing lazer tag with the enemies. We also expected the "Chronicles" to be more comprehensive instead of just a "Previously on Resident Evil" mini recap.

The game is also too freaking easy on "Normal" and that was with the abyssmal controls. Every Resident Evil game had tension...the only tension I got from this game was if I might accidently hit my friend when shake n' baking the remote to reload.

First off you need to realize that the zero scenario is much easier then the rest of the entire game. Try playing part 1's chapter and tell me its easy. Zero is the opening chapter and it eases you into the game quite easy. Also another thing is that this an is on-rails shooter through and through and if anyone finds this game boring then they honestly must not like most on rail shooting games.

I've played a ton of em (Time Crisis, LA Machine Gunners, House of the Dead, Aliens, and even as far back as Area 51 and Lethal Enforcers) and this game I can say without a doubt is one of THE best if not the best on rails shooter I've played. It has so much replay value and just the fact that it can't be completed in a half an hour is amazing, let alone it lasts a good 6-8 hours.

I'm not saying the game is perfect and that everyone should love it, but people need to appreciate the title for what it is. An on rails shooter that just rocks in about every way possible.

fernoca

Cann someone clear something regarding Billy's background/story...??
Not that big of spoilers since this is known since Zero was released..but here it goes..

Apparently Billy, was sentenced because he killed 23 "civillians" in Africa...but he doesn't say anything more..and all the files just say that the government in Africa forced the US to put a blame into someone..because they were trying to hide oit as of he killed his teammates.

But in the quick flashback..it shows that the African "civillians" looked...quite similar to the ones seen on the trailer of Resident Evil 5, though not that clear..

Or..it was just my imagination?

fernoca said:
Not that big of spoilers since this is known since Zero was released..but here it goes..

Apparently Billy, was sentenced because he killed 23 "civillians" in Africa...but he doesn't say anything more..and all the files just say that the government in Africa forced the US to put a blame into someone..because they were trying to hide oit as of he killed his teammates.

But in the quick flashback..it shows that the African "civillians" looked...quite similar to the ones seen on the trailer of Resident Evil 5, though not that clear..

I actually had the same thoughts. I bet they might tie that into 5 somehow.

That was all cleared up in biohazard 0, but UC shortened the story so much that there's nearly no other chance but to find it confusing.

You might want to watch the original cutscenes to understand what really happened (you see, not even Rebecca really got that Billy's innocent as he's very secretive about his past).

- Billy went on a mission in Africa
- The ones in charge had the team operating on wrong information and sent them to a supposed guerilla hideout...
- ...that turned out to be a peaceful little village
- The leader didn't want to return with empty hands, so he ordered the surviving soldiers to kill the innocent people
- Billy tried to stop him but was knocked out
- Somehow the truth must have surfaced but the leader blamed Billy for killing the people

So I just played about 2 hours of this game, all of a sudden I am hooked on it. When I hit the Outbreak level holy crap the game became insane. Zombies everywhere, cars blowing up, things coming out of every location, it was mayhem and I loved it. It felt much faster, it was exciting and was hard as hell. You really have to start using your other weapons cause your pistol just wont cut it anymore.I cant believe we all throughout the Outbreak levels would suck but it turns out to be so far the best level and I think has some of the best graphics in the game.

I also went back and played some previous missions to get a few S ranks. Finally everything clicked and I was hitting head-shots constantly. Doing that perfect run where you hit nearly every enemy break almost all objects is so much fun. I have gotten S ranks on two levels, but I am still missing some files in them.There is so much content I almost don't know what level to do next.

I was a bit lukewarm toward this game but now I am loving it, its surprisingly good.

Prime Blue said:
That was all cleared up in Resident Evil Zero, but The Umbrella Chronicles shortened the story so much that there's nearly no other chance but to find it confusing.

You might want to watch the original cutscenes to understand what really happened (you see, not even Rebecca really got that Billy's innocent as he's very secretive about his past).

- Billy went on a mission in Africa
- The ones in charge had the team operating on wrong information and sent them to a supposed guerilla hideout...
- ...that turned out to be a peaceful little village
- The leader didn't want to return with empty hands, so he ordered the surviving soldiers to kill the innocent people
- Billy tried to stop him but was knocked out
- Somehow the truth must have surfaced but the leader blamed Billy for killing the people

I found some note in UC about that incident, I think it was a new file as I never have seen it before. Its an article from a magazine or newpaper detailing how the military was trying to cover up what happend in Africa, but that once it came out the US was going to charge the one responsible to the full extent of the law. Its interesting that they chose to flesh out that backstory a bit.

roonow

MiamiWesker said:
So I just played about 2 hours of this game, all of a sudden I am hooked on it.

Agreed. I thought the whole RE-zero portion was pretty boring and was at first a little underwhelmed and disappointed with the game...but come Mansion chapter and onwards, game really starts to pick up. So for all you people who've only played the Resident Evil Zero chapters and didn't like it, the game gets much much better after that!

sphinx

the piano man
I just wanted to say that this thread isn't helping us people on the fence.

I've been coming to this thread to read impressions and they are as mixed as they can be

Gaffer A: " It's shit "
Gaffer B: " I am hooked "
Gaffer C: " I have fun but story sucks "
Gaffer D: " Disgrace to the series "
Gaffer E: " It's adequate"

-_-

I was hoping GAF would help me decide if I should get this game or not. I guess I'll have to try myself.

roonow

Lobster said:
What do some people mean by bad controls? Its a lightgun game? Whats wrong with them?

Compared to other "gun games" such as target practice in Wii play, Ghost Squad, and RE4, the target reticule in RE:UC does tend to lag a LITTLE... But personally, it's very very easy to adjust to and doesn't really bother me at all (i.e. the miniscule crosshair lag is not really large enough to affect my performance), though others may disagree.

Also, RE:UC is technically not a lightgun game....RE:UC uses the wiimote and IR sensor to map out a target reticule that appears on screen therefore what you are aiming at on the TV with your wiimote may not correspond to where the target reticule is (i.e. not 1:1 movement).

Deku

Banned
Really dumb and stupid question. I'm not a huge RE or Light gun gamer, in fact I probably suck at the genre, but I just want something I can pick up easily and play casually. Can this game do it?

Lobster

Banned
sphinx said:
I just wanted to say that this thread isn't helping us people on the fence.

I've been coming to this thread to read impressions and they are as mixed as they can be

Gaffer A: " It's shit "
Gaffer B: " I am hooked "
Gaffer C: " I have fun but story sucks "
Gaffer D: " Disgrace to the series "
Gaffer E: " It's adequate"

-_-

I was hoping GAF would help me decide if I should get this game or not. I guess I'll have to try myself.

I tend to believe the more positive impressions. When I buy the game I always seem to agree.

roonow said:
Compared to other "gun games" such as target practice in Wii play, Ghost Squad, and RE4, the target reticule in RE:UC does tend to lag a LITTLE... But personally, it's very very easy to adjust to and doesn't really bother me at all (i.e. the miniscule crosshair lag is not really large enough to affect my performance), though others may disagree.

Ah ok. Them im less likely to have a problem. Thanks for clearing it up.

Tenbatsu

Deku said:
Really dumb and stupid question. I'm not a huge RE or Light gun gamer, in fact I probably suck at the genre, but I just want something I can pick up easily and play casually. Can this game do it?

Its a easy to pick up game but the difficulty is a tad high.

xfactor

Banned
fernoca said:

Billy's background from RE: archives (spoiler)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/Xfactor1/re-archives-125_original.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/Xfactor1/re-archives-126_original.jpg

cvxfreak

Deku said:

Yeah. Easy Mode should be nice and this'll serve as a good reminder for the series' plotline.

The RE3 chapter, storywise, is seriously like some twilight zone version. Barely anything was the same.

Zeed said:
Yeah the goddamn leech people killed me in the very second level and I was like "wut". That was an intense moment. I should probably have lobbed a grenade.

unloading a full clip from the handgun will do the trick

My roomate picked this game up tonight along with mass effect :)

we played resident evil for a good 2 hours straight.. Quite a fun game.

I don't think it's too slow paced.. I like the destructable environments.. I think the pace is perfect for playing through the first time..

it might seem slow after I've already beaten it and know where all the secrets are etc.. But for now i'm constantly shooting stuff in the backround and reloading when i'm killing stuff.

The wesker mission etc that opens up? can you only do that level single player? as well as another opened up for us.

Top Bottom