• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles: Official Thread

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Damn, I can't find the game anywhere (sold out) and scalpers on eBay ask 70€ for a game released just 10 days ago at 49€... fuck 'em.

Dash Kappei said:
Damn, I can't find the game anywhere (sold out) and scalpers on eBay ask 70€ for a game released just 10 days ago at 49€... fuck 'em.
I feel your pain. Blah is overcharging as well but "only" by 8 €, if that's still OK for you (it isn't for me) here's the link.

Prospero

Shaheed79 said:
You can shoot your way through the entire game using powerful machine guns, shotguns, grenade/rocket launchers but it's the handgun that can only be used for a critical hit so expert players will stick with that 90 percent of the time and just collect ammo for your other weapons.

I was going back and forth between kind of enjoying this game and regretting my purchase, but this made it click for me. Sections that seem rather difficult become easier once you commit to doing handgun-only runs whenever you can, conserving more damaging ammo to use in the worst circumstances.

I was concentrating on leveling up weapons, but that's unnecessary, and not really the best way to play the game.

I still go back to this game just to play through the levels again and again. I really had/have alot of fun with the gun game and I agree it adds so much to the light gun genre and if only other light gun games could inspire to last as long as RE:UC does (no more of this half hour crap).

Yes the handgun is very powerful if you can take the time to aim correctly and get criticals. Its been a lifesaver. From my experience, the shotty and machine gun are best for those moments where the camera turns suddenly and there are like 2 lickers and a hunter coming right for you, etc. Those moments are almost impossible (for me at least) to take out precisely with the handgun.

CrisKre

I will reiterate this game is so much fun. I really love it and wholeheartedly recommend it. It is also a hit with my non-gamer friends. (my neighbours even sneaked back into my house the day after we tried it together to continue with the zombi-shooting, lol) Two player is a blast.

cvxfreak

Still playing UC every so often. In particular, the last chapter of RE3 is probably my favorite one of all. Nicely paced with a good amount of action.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Damn, I got like a ton of unfinished games. But a friend of mine is coming over and I suddenly remembered this. It seems like potential easy fun for two persons.

How does it work with nunchucks? Any real reason to use them?

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Hm, alright.

I'm a bit on the fence about buying a Wii zapper though. How does it feel just using thee Wiimotes and chucks?

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
ItsInMyVeins said:
Hm, alright.

I'm a bit on the fence about buying a Wii zapper though. How does it feel just using thee Wiimotes and chucks?
Game plays well with and without the zapper.

Prospero

ItsInMyVeins said:
I'm sitting here with a copy of RE: UC now.

Well done.

As the rest of the thread seems to indicate, if the excellence of the game isn't initially apparent, give it a chance. I didn't really enjoy it until I unlocked some weapons and I learned to get critical hits with the handgun (which seemed impossible to me at first--I get 10-15 per mission now).

Also, note that unused ammo gathered during missions goes into your inventory, and carries over from one stage to the next. Certain weapons are suitable for certain bosses--if you have trouble with a boss because you're out of one kind of ammo, replay a stage that drops a lot of that ammo, and then go back to the difficult boss.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Dash Kappei said:
Where do you live? I saw a copy in Bologna today at €49.90, the only copy I've seen sitting on the shelves yet.

Mdk7

Kenka said:
Help !

I own the game....and still don't have a Wii.
:lol

This has been a complete surprise for me, i was expecting a mediocre low budget (i'm talking about production of course!) game and i have to say i was WRONG.

It's a really meaty on rails shooter, with a ton of replay value and i very smart game design: since the main visual appeal of Umbrella Chronicles is the interaction with the enviroments, they created an innovative reward system that incentivizes you to actually destroy everything -instead of being really accurate with your aiming as in all the other light gun games- all for the game experience's sake.
I also really enjoy the reload system and i deeply appreciate the fact that Chronicles truly feels like a Resident Evil game, with its unique rhythm and its slow pace: this is much more than an ordinary, generic shooter.

I was also surprised by the quality of this game... I picked it up mainly to play coop, but I have not played coop yet and have a lot of fun. Even though it is on-rails there is a lot of strategy involved (weapon-switching, critical hits, items) and the game is hard for a suposedly "casual" game (and I'm talking about the normal difficulty setting!).

The environments are nice and very interactive. The dialogs and cut-scenes are also great (voice acting is not that great though but I expected this!). The replay value is excellent. There seems to be a lot of content also. I strongly recommend this game.

RE:UC = sleeper hit of 2007!

Bildi

To my great surprise I saw that RE:UC is releasing here in OZ sometime very soon (as in next week or something). I expected it in January or February.

I swore I wouldn't buy any games until Christmas because I'm getting Galaxy and Metroid Prime 3. ARGH! So tempting...

Arde5643

ItsInMyVeins said:
I'm way to easy to convince to buy shizznit.

I'm sitting here with a copy of RE: UC now.

Fixed - and everyone should be like you, good sir.

Now please go and buy Zack & Wiki to add even more shizznit to your collection. :D

I just can't get myself to like this game at all. :(

I've play all of it including 4th survivor and it seems like I expected too much from it. I'm glad Capcom filled in some of the storyline and gave us the happenings of 2003 though.

RedBoot

Mdk7 said:
It's a really meaty on rails shooter, with a ton of replay value and i very smart game design: since the main visual appeal of Umbrella Chronicles is the interaction with the enviroments, they created an innovative reward system that incentivizes you to actually destroy everything -instead of being really accurate with your aiming as in all the other light gun games- all for the game experience's sake.

That's one of the devious things about it, the game encourages you to shoot out all the lights to find files and items, but at the same time survival horror instincts tell you not to shoot out lights because darkness and zombies is scary. :lol

This game really could have been a crappy cash-run, and the fact that it isn't was very surprising. I mean, it still kind of is a cash-run since so many of the game resources are reused from earlier REs, but it's also a really good game so it's ok.

The Hermit

ItsInMyVeins said:
So what's the deal with critical hits? I've only gotten like one so far.

Your aim becomes a red circle with an x in the middle. Usually it´s in the top of zombies and hunters head, dog´s mouth, spider´s eyes etc.

Awesome game btw! I really can´t understand the hate... hope it sells a lot too.

Prospero

ItsInMyVeins said:
So what's the deal with critical hits? I've only gotten like one so far.

--You can only get them with a handgun in almost all cases (I think there's an exception for the crimson ones, which can be critically hit with a shotgun).

--At first I thought that you had to get the critical hit on the first shot with the handgun, but that isn't true.

--The critical hit spot for the standard zombie is at the hairline, in the center of the head. You'll know you're aiming there when the center of your reticle changes to a tiny red flashing X. This is where some of the depth of the game comes in--the zombies tend not to hold their heads straight up in the first place, and if you hit the head and miss the weak spot, it'll just knock the zombie's head around so you'll have to adjust your aim. Also, the extra time you take to aim can be the difference between an S-rank in Clear Time and an A-rank.

It takes a lot of practice, and near the end of the final mission of the RE1 scenario (which I just finished--it's pretty hectic) I didn't even bother, since I was too busy trying to not die. Try practicing on Train Derailment 1, where the zombies are less likely to charge you if you take your time killing them.

should I be upgrading my weapons at all? I mean, do upgrades just add ammo? because that doesnt seem very important to me, does it ever increase firepower or rate of fire?

Capndrake

Linkzg said:
should I be upgrading my weapons at all? I mean, do upgrades just add ammo? because that doesnt seem very important to me, does it ever increase firepower or rate of fire?
I believe all guns' upgrades do different things. Some upgrades increase the ammo per clip you find lying around in stages, others increase the capacity, others increase firepower, others increase firing speed, others increase reload rate, etc.

There's nothing else to do with stars, so yes, upgrade. Maximum level for each gun is 4. But
if you get an S rank on all stages on Hard mode you can upgrade once more and give them infinite ammo

OnkelC said:
WTF UC isn't true 16:9? Black bars to both sides of the screen?
Or am I doing something wrong?

I have black bars on the side also, its no big deal.

Capndrake said:
I believe all guns' upgrades do different things. Some upgrades increase the ammo per clip you find lying around in stages, others increase the capacity, others increase firepower, others increase firing speed, others increase reload rate, etc.

There's nothing else to do with stars, so yes, upgrade. Maximum level for each gun is 4. But
if you get an S rank on all stages on Hard mode you can upgrade once more and give them infinite ammo

might aswell upgrade the shotgun or something then.

Fady K

Damn college work kept me delaying my playthrough for this much anticipated title for me :D Again guys, it must be stated enough:

THE GAME'S OST WAS COMPOSED BY MASAFUMI TAKADA AND JUN FUKUDA! YOU KNOW, KILLER 7?? NO MORE HEROES??? Thats a selling point right there.

So do people know Cavia made this yet?

alex1893

@Spain GAFers

I'm on a short trip to Barcelona this week, any suggestions/recommendations where to pick up Umbrella Chronicles? at least www.mediamarkt.es looks quite familiar ;) (I'm from germany and the game isn't sold here so I'll take the chance to look out for it there)

CaVaYeRo

alex1893 said:
@Spain GAFers

I'm on a short trip to Barcelona this week, any suggestions/recommendations where to pick up Umbrella Chronicles? at least www.mediamarkt.es looks quite familiar ;) (I'm from germany and the game isn't sold here so I'll take the chance to look out for it there)

I'll ask in our forums, but I don't think you'll have any problems. Try GAME or GameStop... or maybe you can find it for 45€ or so in other places. Anyway, I tell you when they answer ;)

EDIT: and yeah, Media Market uses to have good prices too.

The Hermit

Fady K said:
Damn college work kept me delaying my playthrough for this much anticipated title for me :D Again guys, it must be stated enough:

THE GAME'S OST WAS COMPOSED BY MASAFUMI TAKADA AND JUN FUKUDA! YOU KNOW, KILLER 7?? NO MORE HEROES??? Thats a selling point right there.

The soundtrack is cool, specially Wesker's stages, but most of the time they don't fit the game... even RE4 which was more action orientated that the rest of the series didn't had such up-beat soundtrack.

Just sayin...

Saitou

Banned
Baiano19 said:
The soundtrack is cool, specially Wesker's stages, but most of the time they don't fit the game... even RE4 which was more action orientated that the rest of the series didn't had such up-beat soundtrack.

Just sayin...
You're out of your mind.

The Wesker stage music is so incredibly pumping and epic, it fits his characer so well.

I actually find myself replaying Wesker's scenarios for the music alone.

Someone help a brotha out with an mp3 of the theme plz

bigswords

Mockingbird said:
I didn't learn about weapon upgrading until I beat every single level... I have like 70+ stars now.

Holy shit lol! I played this on Easy and there were certain areas I still find it challenging.

n-off

I need help plz.

I got the controller setting to wii zapper cauze I like to switch my guns with C.
Now there's this problem with the nunchuck waggle counter move. It NEVER works.
What's wrong? Am I supposed to waggle it left&right or what? Or is it a bug and
I'm supposed to waggle the wiimote instead?

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
n-off said:
I need help plz.

I got the controller setting to wii zapper cauze I like to switch my guns with C.
You have to shake the wiimote not the nunchuck. Ditch the zapper you'll do better for it.

Great King Bowser

Property of Kaz Harai
n-off said:
I need help plz.

The on-screen counter prompt even changes to a nunchuk icon. :lol

Mdk7

Fady K said:

yay, the music's completely great. I love the 70s trash horror vibe, and its whole dissonant feeling.

Oh, this weekend i tried the game with the zapper BTW: it's a COMPLETE TRAINWRECK imho... That thing completely ruins the game experience.
Umbrella was clearly NOT made with the zapper in mind, so i really don't get the meaning of the japanese bundle.

Crossbow Training is another story though, that's a (little) game that takes significant advantage of the add on.

n-off

Great King Bowser said:
The on-screen counter prompt even changes to a nunchuk icon. :lol

I know, that's why I'm asking. Because it does not work! I'm shaking the nunchuck like crazy but that move never works. So I need to waggle the wiimote instead or what?

jarrod

Banned
Bebpo said:
THANK YOU.

I'd been asking for this information since day 1. Especially since back at E3 I mentioned I heard from a little bird that the game was being made by a shitty company like TOSE, and of course, no one believed it!

Explains why I think the game sucks ass.
Ackack... cavia did Dead Aim too. Still, they're a step up from NEX/Nextech (who did GS2 CVX and Dino Stalker... and Time Crisis 3-4). :x

wazoo said:
so this is made outside Capcom, so is Okami.

What real inhouse ressources are Capcom devoting to the Wii ??

Do we even know if MH3 will be done inhouse ??
Capcom nextgen roundup!

Xbox 360 (internal)
-Dead Rising (Production Studio 2) 2006
-Lost Planet: Extreme Condition (Production Studio 2) 2006
-Devil May Cry 4 (Production Studio 1) 2008
-Resident Evil 5 (Production Studio 4) 2009
-Street Fighter IV (Production Studio 1) tba

Xbox 360 (outsourced)
-Bionic Commando (GRIN) 2008
-Dark Void (Airtight Studios) 2008

PlayStation 3 (Internal)
-Devil May Cry 4 (Production Studio 1) 2008
-Lost Planet: Extreme Condition (Production Studio 2) 2008
-Resident Evil 5 (Production Studio 4) 2009
-Street Fighter IV (Production Studio 1) tba

PlayStation 3 (outsourced)
-Bionic Commando (GRIN) 2008
-Dark Void (Airtight Studios) 2008

Wii (Internal)
-Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition (Production Studio 4) 2007
-Zak & Wiki: Quest for Barabos' Treasure (Production Studio 2) 2007
-Sengoku Basara 2 Heroes: Double Pack (Production Studio 4) 2007
-Monster Hunter 3-tri (Production Studio 1) 2008

Wii (Outsourced)
-Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles (cavia) 2007
-We Love Golf! (Camelot Software Planning) 2007
-Harvey Birdman: Attourney at Law (High Voltage Software)
-Ōkami (Ready at Dawn Studios) 2008
-Sengoku Basara X (Arc System Works) tba
-We Love Tennis! (Camelot Software Planning) tba

Prospero

I just finished the RE3 scenarios. Those were a hell of a lot of fun.

This game has a nice learning curve--I love it when games seem impossible until you really get the hang of them. It's extremely satisfying to drop a group of three shambling zombies with three careful critical hits in a row: tap, tap, tap.

Though I didn't get a game over during those stages (in comparison to RE0/RE1, which hit me with deaths aplenty), I didn't quite get the hang of RE3's final boss--I feel like I won by emptying hundreds of bullets into him, rather than any cleverness on my part. The business with the tentacles mystified me, and I just ended up shooting wildly at them and taking damage.

Is Umbrella's End the hardest scenario in the main game? I'm tackling that tomorrow.

Tenbatsu

jarrod said:
Ackack... cavia did Dead Aim too. Still, they're a step up from NEX/Nextech (who did GS2 CVX and Dino Stalker... and Time Crisis 3-4). :x

Capcom nextgen roundup!

Wii (Internal)
-Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition (Production Studio 4) 2007
-Zak & Wiki: Quest for Barabos' Treasure (Production Studio 2) 2007
-Sengoku Basara 2 Heroes: Double Pack (Production Studio 4) 2007
-Monster Hunter 3-tri (Production Studio 1) 2008tba

Monster Hunter 3 next year? Hmm...

Top Bottom