• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles: Official Thread

I have a question.

I'm doing The 4th Survivor scenario and I want to get out of it and restart it with a different weapon. The thing is that I'm past the checkpoint so it's saved at that point.

When loading up, if I select the "Delete Game" option after I select "No" when it asks if I want to load my game from that point, will that delete the checkpoint save and take me to the main menu, or will that delete my entire save file?

n-off

Mr. Pointy said:
I have a question.

I'm doing The 4th Survivor scenario and I want to get out of it and restart it with a different weapon. The thing is that I'm past the checkpoint so it's saved at that point.

When loading up, if I select the "Delete Game" option after I select "No" when it asks if I want to load my game from that point, will that delete the checkpoint save and take me to the main menu, or will that delete my entire save file?

go ahead and delete, its just your current game. NOT the entire save game.

maxmars

Hmm so if I get to a savepoint, then exit the game / turn off the machine, will I get back from there when I turn it on again?

Apenheul

This thread is doing a fantastic job of getting me enthusiastic about the game over and over again. Everytime I'm playing I think "woah, I don't get it, maybe this isn't the right game for me", then I read one or two pages of this thread and I'm motivated to start all over again.

Bumpety Boo.

There were rumors about Capcom having outsourced the title to cavia, so I went to their boards and asked Christian Svensson. This is his response.

Christian Svensson said:
You saw Cavia names in the credits and indeed they were responsible for much of the implimentation. Exactly who did what share storywise, in truth I'm not sure, but I know we also had some internal resources dedicated to the project too.

Bottom line, biohazard UMBRELLA CHRONICLES = cavia game.

Tenbatsu

Prime Blue said:
Bumpety Boo.

There were rumors about Capcom having outsourced the title to cavia, so I went to their boards and asked Christian Svensson. This is his response.

Bottom line, The Umbrella Chronicles = cavia game.

Still, Umbrella Chronicles is a very good Cavia game. Good job.

Yka

Has anyone beat ten rounds in that special stage minigame? Does anything happen if you do so? I have tried it a few times and only managed to get to the 8th round.

JayDubya

Banned
Has anyone here gotten S-ranks on all the levels on hard yet?

Because holy crap at the Umbrella's End 3 "Clear Time" Restriction. I brought a fully stocked and loaded L4 Hand Cannon along and still couldn't beat Talos in time to get better than a C. I'm not sure how I could be doing the level faster.

Raccoon's Destruction 1 is also rather absurd due to the number of required critical hits and the clear time required to do those in.

I was about to make a LTTP thread, but the game isn't quite that old yet I don't think, but I finally got to sit down with this tonight and I am having an absolute blast. I don't have any huge problems with the controls, in fact I think they're quite intuitive and I've gotten very good at switching weapons on the fly and knowing which weapons to use on certain enemies, and that makes the game a hell of a lot of fun. Graphics are pretty good and serviceable, the levels so far are really cool and atmospheric, there seems to be a shitload of unlockables, the music is pretty great, and as an RE fan seeing some of the gaps being filled in is quite exciting.

I'm loving the fuck out of this one guys.

kizmah

Got the game yesterday and so far I have only played through the first level. My initial reaction: I like this, A LOT! It's a blast to revisit the train and shoot a bunch of zombies (and lights, windows etc). The atmosphere is there and that RE-feeling is definitely intact. I'm sitting at work right now and I just can't wait to get home and sink my teeth into this one. That's a good sign, right?

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
I got this game as part of an Amazon DotD. However, it's still shrinkwrapped since I'm waiting to find a Nyko Perfect Shot before playing it. I was hesitant to keep it, but I think it will be good fun with the perfect shot.

To everyone that thinks the pacing of this game is too slow, what exactly do you think they could've done differently to improve it?

I think the pacing is the best thing about the game.

Capndrake

Yka said:
Has anyone beat ten rounds in that special stage minigame? Does anything happen if you do so? I have tried it a few times and only managed to get to the 8th round.
Got to the end multiple times, but the "boss" keeps killing me. I read you need to headshot him, but it's pretty damn hard. You get nothing for beating it though (Besides a measly amount of stars, I think 3), so don't worry too much if you can't do it.

I apologize if this has been asked before.

Is there a way to rollback gun upgrades? For instance I'm pretty far in the game and have a few guns with their level 5 Infinite ammo upgrades. While this is fun as heck, its totally game breaking.

I cant figure out if there is any way to turn their unlimited ammo off. I still want to play through the game normally and have some challenge.

Sadist

RuneFactoryFanboy said:
I apologize if this has been asked before.

Is there a way to rollback gun upgrades? For instance I'm pretty far in the game and have a few guns with their level 5 Infinite ammo upgrades. While this is fun as heck, its totally game breaking.

I cant figure out if there is any way to turn their unlimited ammo off. I still want to play through the game normally and have some challenge.
Nope, you will have to start a new file I guess.

Rented this yestarday and I think it's pretty good. But oh why does the Wii have to suck so much when it comes to graphics. Going from this to UT3 on PS3 was shocking to say the least.

Christopher

I haven't played this game since Christmas time...but I picked it up and decided to play it with my best friend - this game graduates from shit to playable with 2 players

I just started playing this last night and have been really enjoying it.

Question though...if you get an S rank in every mission, is it possible to afford to max out every weapon?

I want to know if I should wait and upgrade the new, more powerful weapons or just upgrade whatever I have.

later

The only thing I hate is that it shows empty weapons (completely empty) when you cycle through the list (and I'm only able to comfortably use the d-pad down button)

Scrubking

The Interrobanger said:
I just started playing this last night and have been really enjoying it.

Question though...if you get an S rank in every mission, is it possible to afford to max out every weapon?

I want to know if I should wait and upgrade the new, more powerful weapons or just upgrade whatever I have.

You can replay the levels as many times as you want to earn points.

cvxfreak

What a coincidence, I played the final Umbrella chapter tonight. :lol

I'm trying to figure out how the plot of UC fits into what we'll see with RE5.

cvxfreak said:
There are 4 areas and around 5 chapters for each area, so 20 levels.

Im stuck in the 3rd area... i finished 3 chapters en the 3 areas but it wont show the 4th... Do i have to play the solo missions in order to advance?!?!

tmarques

I played the entire thing when it came out and loved it. When I bought the Zapper, I tried it again and thought it was AWFUL - I couldn't survive 5 minutes using it, so I put the game away again. Now I'm wondering if the game really didn't go well with the Zapper or if it was just me. Does anyone here play it with the Zapper? I might give it another try in the near future.

Avrum

tmarques said:
I played the entire thing when it came out and loved it. When I bought the Zapper, I tried it again and thought it was AWFUL - I couldn't survive 5 minutes using it, so I put the game away again. Now I'm wondering if the game really didn't go well with the Zapper or if it was just me. Does anyone here play it with the Zapper? I might give it another try in the near future.

I always play it with the zapper, using the configuration where the nunchuck is in your left hand and the zapper in your right. I've tried playing the game without it (nunchuck+Wiimote only) and it actually doesn't feel as good playing it that way. The zapper might just be a hunk of plastic, but I dunno, I guess it just helps with handling and stability for me anyway.

dmann

How is the Nyko Perfect Shot w/ this game? Is it any better than the Zapper? If its better than I might purchase the Perfect Shot and along with it House of the Dead 2/3 to make good use of the guns.

rezuth

I just looked at the Wiki page and it claims that this game is actually running on id Tech 4. Can anyone confirm this?

Dot50Cal

Banned
rezuth said:
I just looked at the Wiki page and it claims that this game is actually running on id Tech 4. Can anyone confirm this?

I can't tell if you are serious, but no. Its running on a modified RE4 engine, which was also used in a few other Capcom games like PN0.3.

rakka

rezuth said:
nope, unless the wii suddenly has a chip supporting fully programmable vertex and pixel shaders.

rezuth

rakka said:
nope, unless the wii suddenly has a chip supporting fully programmable vertex and pixel shaders.
First of all, you dont need to use them. Secondly, ofc it was a stupid thought :lol

Effect

I know the game did well sales wise (we are getting a sequel) but does anyone know what the current sales for RE:UC is currently at?

I know it was over a million last I heard and like many Wii games that was over time and not all at once. Has it gotten near 2 million?

Has Capcom said anything on how please or disappointed they were in regards to how it sold (at least initially or it's over time sales)?

Thanks

Curufinwe

I got the game for Christmas, along with this fairly new Resident Evil Magnum peripheral.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003UF08B8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It's heavy, but I do feel like I am able to aim with more precision than using just the Wiimote on Darkside Chronicles. And I think I like the overall game more than DC. It's pretty challenging on Normal using weapons which haven't been upgraded very much.

bumpkin

Curufinwe said:
I got the game for Christmas, along with this fairly new Resident Evil Magnum peripheral.

It's heavy, but I do feel like I am able to aim with more precision than using just the Wiimote on Darkside Chronicles. And I think I like the overall game more than DC. It's pretty challenging on Normal using weapons which haven't been upgraded very much.
I played the shit out of UC, and I still haven't finished DC... I just plain lost interest around this one battle with William Birkin. The game was basically on shaky ground from the get-go with me though. I was put off by how ugly/rough it is -- especially after seeing all the promising nice-looking screenshots and trailers -- and the spastic camera is beyond irritating, especially in closed spaces.

Curufinwe said:

Umbrella Chronicles is much better than Darkside Chronicles. I honestly played the heck out of it :lol :lol Maybe like 3 or 4 different playthroughs?

I literally 100% it in every way, while DC I did maybe 80% of the game.

I understand why people didn't like UC too much (its gameplay is refined but seems shallow at first), but it's probably my favorite game on the Wii and one of my favorite games this generation.

Curufinwe

I do kind of hate the QTEs that use buttons because and [Z] look pretty similar on my 27 inch CRT screen, and the window for inputting them is pretty small.

faridmon

You could have made a LttP thread instead of reviving a 3 year old thread.

on the topic, from the short span I have played, I really like it and the aiming actually is tailored for more horror environment.

Ellis Kim

Banned
Mmmm. Both games were on sale on amazon for $15, but now the prices have been upped. Now that I have a Wii, I want to play them, but I'm not entirely sure I want to pay more than I've seen them for.

Anyone here want to part with their copies for a comparable price, or should I just head to the B/S/T thread?

Curufinwe

faridmon said:
You could have made a LttP thread instead of reviving a 3 year old thread.

I don't see the point in doing that since I don't care about having my user name on the front page. Nothing wrong with this thread.

faridmon

Curufinwe said:
I don't see the point in doing that since I don't care about having my user name on the front page. Nothing wrong with this thread.
huh?

all I am saying it would result in more productive insights into what people thinks of the game.

cvxfreak

I find it hard to go back to Umbrella Chronicles after playing Darkside Chronicles. I think UC has better content, but Darkside Chronicles feels more polished (zombie physics) and some of the design choices were better, which makes sense for a sequel.

Boney

Banned
Ellis Kim said:
Mmmm. Both games were on sale on amazon for $15, but now the prices have been upped. Now that I have a Wii, I want to play them, but I'm not entirely sure I want to pay more than I've seen them for.

Anyone here want to part with their copies for a comparable price, or should I just head to the B/S/T thread?
Just rent them.

Curufinwe

I played the game on Normal up till Dark Legacy Chapter 1, but the two bosses had so much HP that I switched to Easy.

Since you have to get A-ranks on certain Chapters to unlock Nightmare Chapter 2 and Death's Door, I wish I had played on Easy from the start.

Mzo

Umbrella Chronicles was a great attempt at bringing the RE feel to a lightgun game. It was slightly jarring at first, but I grew to really enjoy it the more I played. By the end I had done everything you could possibly do in the game.

2 player co-op was far, far better than single player.

Curufinwe

Playing on Easy is definitely the way to go if you're not that accurate.

Playing on Easy I managed to unlock Death's Door by getting an A ranking on Raccoon's Destruction Chapter 3 only because I used a Youtube guide to find all 9 of the files. I got 13 critical hits which I thought was pretty good, but it was only good enough for a C.

Top Bottom