• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance: Fall of Man - Gamespot First Look

Wollan

12 huge singleplayer levels it sais.

Oh and please don't go into a kb/m vs gamepad fight. It's a console game and it is only normal for it to be built around a gamepad. Everyone can adapt to it if they give themself time.

Wax Free Vanilla said:
36c280b95f.gif

Nice.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
if there was keyboard/mouse support i would play it for sure.

dark10x said:
I love using a controller to play FPS games.

aiming with a controller is terrible irrespective of the pace of the FPS (multiplayer or not). this is precisely why they slow down console FPS running speed, make the turning speed slow, make the whole pace of the game slow, and give you a helping hand with the aiming.

it still amazes me that people defend playing FPS with a standard controller...I can only hope they have never actually played a PC FPS. I used to be all pro-controller until I actually played a proper PC FPS and realised that a controller instantly gimps a FPS game.

i am not actually interested in spending hours trying to habituate myself to the controller to play a FPS. i used to be a pro at the dual-analogue controls until i stopped playing console FPS for PC FPS, and I simply cant be ****ed to relearn the controls...I have joined all my other friends as someone who cannot dual-analog.

anyway, no need to discuss this further (different opinions and all that, I dont want to sidetrack the thread.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
jarosh said:
i can't believe you're serious
What do you mean?

The analog motion of dual sticks allows for smoother, more natural view and character movement. For a single player game, this allows for more cinematic viewpoint movement and enhances the experience. It just FEELS good to me. I certainly do not need a mouse in order aim with the precision required for most single player games.

For something like Unreal Tournament, however, I can understand the need of a mouse as the pace is extremely fast and the targets are very small. Same deal with something like Tribes (oh how I miss thee).

I've been a PC gamer much longer than a console gamer, by the way, and have played virtually every major and minor FPS release out there since 1993. I KNOW what works and what doesn't. With my current love of presentation and experience, I find myself much more enthused with using a controller. I have absolutely NO trouble with either input device and both feel completely natural.

It's all about "feel", however, so of course opinions would vary. However, my point is that *I* am not limited by the controller AND believe it contributes greatly to any single player experience as a result of smoother rotation. Of course, not everyone plays as I do and people who watch me play on a console typically comment on how SMOOTH I can make a game look. Friends of mine often produce very jerky results when using a controller while I can cleanly move the viewpoint as if it were pre-scripted or something. It looks and feels wonderful and has never given me a problem.

SpokkX

dark10x said:
*shrug*

Sucks to be you, I suppose. I love using a controller to play FPS games. The only exception would be high speed multiplayer titles where mouse aiming actually becomes necessary. For single player FPS titles, however, I much prefer using the controller. It provides a smoother appearance and allows for perfectly accurate aiming (mouse level aiming isn't required for anything but the fastest games).

I agree. Of course a mouse is more accurate but I have come to love controllers for FPS... and I was the biggest QW/Q2/Q3A fan before this.. I have just gotten used to it, it "feels" better in many ways actually.

Kangu

Banned
Well the game still manages to look bland somehow. Not that I was ever planing on purchasing, but I was hoping to be impressed. The lighting just seems to have a flat look that makes everything look, well... lacking in depth.

Wollan said:

It looks surprisingly not as good in high def. I'm sure all that will get smoothed out before launch though. It's mostly the textures, as the fluidity and animation is quite fluid and animated.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
The scene from that GIF, that shows soliders running, it makes it seem like running looks really good and realistic. That has been a big sticking point in almost all FPS games that I can think of so far - NPCs running would always look completely unrealistic, as if they were sliding or something, especially when they start or stop moving, or when they change direction, etc.

In that scene however, the guy who turns aruound, never misses a step, and he never slides. He even accelerates his running realistically.

Wollan

Advanced animation was one of the things Insomniac was working really hard on for this game. No doubt since that has always been a great strength of theirs.

Marconelly said:
The scene from that GIF, that shows soliders running, it makes it seem like running looks really good and realistic. That has been a big sticking point in almost all FPS games that I can think of so far - NPCs running would always look completely unrealistic, as if they were sliding or something, especially when they start or stop moving, or when they change direction, etc.

In that scene however, the guy who turns aruound, never misses a step, and he never slides. He even accelerates his running realistically.

Yeah, as Wollan said, Insomniac animation departement has a lot of veterans.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
more gifs please!

edit:
seeing that chimera duck and take cover behind the box gives me some relief the AI is better than was shown before.

jax (old)

Banned
Wax Free Vanilla said:

small size of the gif conceals a lot of visual disparity but man, if the animation isn't spot on. The game is turning out to be really fap worthy. Can't wait to see the info on vehicles + other stages. I think we're getting a tiny glimpse into the resistance world.

gogogow

Guess that vid is from the new built with the added lighting.
Looking good.

I remember there was an debate wether that Chimera model pic was in-game or not.
It seems it was in-game afterall:

r5.jpg

rst08.jpg

gogogow said:
Guess that vid is from the new built with the added lighting.
Looking good.

I remember there was an debate wether that Chimera model pic was in-game or not.
It seems it was in-game afterall:

The dev team on Insomniac's boards have already confirmed that there real time. Although I think this picture does a better job of proving that the render is a real time model

http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/728/728229/resistance-fall-of-man-20060824114313306.jpg

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Animation is my number one concern when it comes to graphics, and this game looks really, really good in that regard.

The nice thing about this game is all killed characters remained in the game, they don't go into oblivion like other games such as Lost Planet

dark10x

acousticvan said:
I remember someone said the PS3 is really good at animations. It turns out to be true.
It still comes down to talent, budget, and time. If your team is lacking on any of those fronts, your project will suffer as a result.

acousticvan said:
I remember someone said the PS3 is really good at animations. It turns out to be true.
haha.

Resistance is a great game (it was at E3 and it just looks better and better) but this kind of comment is amusing. I haven't seen any animation on the PS3 that surpasses the benchmark of Ash in Kameo on the 360. this looks to be on the same level... stuff that starts using things like euphoria and foot planting will top both (and be on both systems).

plagiarize said:
haha.

Resistance is a great game (it was at E3 and it just looks better and better) but this kind of comment is amusing. I haven't seen any animation on the PS3 that surpasses the benchmark of Ash in Kameo on the 360. this looks to be on the same level... stuff that starts using things like euphoria and foot planting will top both (and be on both systems).

Are you dreaming or what?
This game's animation is not surpassing Kameo? Poor little plagiarize.
What about MGS4, Heavenly Sword? stop being a dreamer, man.

acousticvan said:
Are you dreaming or what?
This game's animation is not surpassing Kameo? Poor little plagiarize.
What about MGS4, Heavenly Sword? stop being a dreamer, man.
go watch a video of Ash running around in Kameo. it's great in game animation. i think this is as good. i think both will be surpassed.

i'm waiting to see gameplay on MGS4 before i judge it's in game animation.

Wollan

Assassins Creed and Naughty Dog Jungle sounds/seems like the top dogs when it comes to animation. I can't wait to see Assassins Creed in action.

edit: How could I forget Heavenly Sword. That's actually the best I've seen in gameplay from any game so far.

Dante

go watch a video of Ash running around in Kameo. it's great in game animation.

Ash's animation is nice, but Heavely swords animation blows that out of the water and pretty much everything else out there. although I expect naughty Dogs game to give that a run for it's money.

Ajax

Banned
plagiarize said:
haha.

crying_b.jpg

Wollan

Okay, okay. Everyone can see where this is going. The X360cpu is more than strong enough to handle the animation seen here. We'll see what happens in a couple of years but don't go overboard just yet. STOP.

dark10x

plagiarize said:
go watch a video of Ash running around in Kameo. it's great in game animation. i think this is as good. i think both will be surpassed.

i'm waiting to see gameplay on MGS4 before i judge it's in game animation.
Ash's animation is good, but we've seen high quality animation like that in various last generation games (think Jak series). First person shooters have struggled to deliver quality animation, however, due to the nature of the gameplay. Resistance is a nice step in the right direction.

dark10x said:
Ash's animation is good, but we've seen high quality animation like that in various last generation games (think Jak series). First person shooters have struggled to deliver quality animation, however, due to the nature of the gameplay. Resistance is a nice step in the right direction.
i single out Ash for a couple of reasons. he's a big character that feels like he has a lot of weight, and yet while running and turning never seems to 'pivot' on the spot. i don't think the Jak series (which all had great animation) had any similar characters. it stuck in my mind because i don't think i'd seen a character of that size feel like he had actual weight, while animating so fluidly. it's how he connects with the ground so well that i felt notable... and compared pretty well to the animation in question here.

and remember i'm saying they're on par.

animation is quite obviously one of the things that needs to get more focus this generation as in many games it's the obvious weak link. heck so many games seem to screw up a basic run animation (God of War... great game but the run animation still makes me shake my head).

maybe i didn't pick the best examples, but all i was doing was shooting down the ridiculous notion that the 360 can't do animation as good as seen in resistance because it's CPU isn't as powerful. nearly every example brought up is animated well not because of CPU power but because of solid animators.

why does every thread about a good or bad looking exclusive have to turn into a pissing match though? Resistance is a great looking game that was playing really well at E3. it was my favourite PS3 game playable on the floor and on a par with anything else I played at E3... but no... I must be a 360 fanboy for daring to suggest that the 360 could do animation.

*sigh*

edit: maybe i need to see more recent videos of Heavenly Sword, but she still seems to instantly turn without a valid animation a whole bunch of times in the gameplay videos i've seen... which was the precise aspect of animation i was talking about the whole time. she has a bunch of really nice canned animations that don't transition too well from one to the next. what i've seen of resistance doesn't have that problem... but hey maybe we're talking about different things.

the reason why some fps feels good with controller is the analog left stick instead of WASD, if it was controller and mouse, now that would be perfect.

Jak series had some of the best animations i have ever seen

plagiarize said:
why does every thread about a good or bad looking exclusive have to turn into a pissing match though? Resistance is a great looking game that was playing really well at E3. it was my favourite PS3 game playable on the floor and on a par with anything else I played at E3... but no... I must be a 360 fanboy for daring to suggest that the 360 could do animation.

*sigh*

because you are the one who started it (the dissing and pissing).

plagiarize said:

:lol :D :lol :D

acousticvan said:
because you are the one who started it (the dissing and pissing).
oh yeah. I dissed a game or system by saying i thought it's animation was on par with what i personally consider a high benchmark.

burn man burn.

this was already being discussed before i even posted in this thread, but no I started the conversation about whether or not the 360 could animate as well as seen in Resistance.

Razoric

Banned
plagiarize said:
haha.

:lol what??

Speevy

Banned
Well, Kameo is well-animated.

I say that once you have good animation, you should stop complaining and accept it. There are so many games that don't have it.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Just gettin out of class today I figured I would stop by ebgames to see whats the update on pre-orders on ps3. The chick at the register said they still wont know until sony tells them how many they get in north america, and it might even be first come first serve if they dont get that many. They just dont want to have another 360 launch all over so they are being very precautious. Anyways this story has a good ending. I came out of the store with resistance pre-ordered. woot. It has a 11/15/06 pickup date.

kthxbye :/

btw, the chick gave me a list of games for the ps3 coming out, but it seems pretty wrong on many games dates. anyways i might scan it for the hell of it so you guys can see.

edit:

here ya go :eek:
bbps3scanra1.jpg

Top Bottom