• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance: Fall of Man - Gamespot First Look

Tieno

I just read Shane's blog post at 1up and he claims that Resistance is totally like Halo and will therefore sell really well. He doesn't explain why or anything, just that it's a traditional fps with 40player battles.
This has definately peaked my interest in the title as Halo 1 and 2 are my favorite games.
I don't know much about Resistance but what I do know I'm pretty excited about, but I don't know how it's 'totally like Halo'?

REV 09

Tieno said:
I just read Shane's blog post at 1up and he claims that Resistance is totally like Halo and will therefore sell really well. He doesn't explain why or anything, just that it's a traditional fps with 40player battles.
This has definately peaked my interest in the title as Halo 1 and 2 are my favorite games.
I don't know much about Resistance but what I do know I'm pretty excited about, but I don't know how it's 'totally like Halo'?
Resistance=Halo clone...maximum review score 7.0**

**see Saints Row review for further reference

Kleegamefan said:
Yeah, almost as good as Ash in Kameo
lolz
yeah. if you're going to make fun of me at least get it right. i said it was *as good* as Ash in Kameo.

i'll go into all the reasons why again, but you wouldn't read them... again... just as you didn't read my first post properly.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Orobi said:
Ps3 euro = March 07....
Resistance = March 07?
Or it will be out for us and jap launch?

Maybe they'll release games in November, but no systems. :lol

Gattsu25

Banned
plagiarize said:
yeah. if you're going to make fun of me at least get it right. i said it was *as good* as Ash in Kameo.

i'll go into all the reasons why again, but you wouldn't read them... again... just as you didn't read my first post properly.
I believe you

Mmmkay

Wollan said:
Link please. :)
http://egmshane.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=7430197&publicUserId=1002415
As launch gets closer, I'm already starting to wonder...which game will be bigger: Resistance: Fall of Man (PS3) or Gears of War (XB360)? I'm voting for Insomniac's PS3 monster--it's a traditional FPS with killer weapons and smooth 40-player online matches. It's totally Halo, while GoW branches into a weird GRAW-meets-Resident Evil 4, by-way-of UT, direction. Sure, it looks choice...but 8-player max "stop-n-pop" gameplay isn't exactly Halo. And well, people like Halo. If Resistance can out-Halo Gears...Xmas should be terribly interesting.

it worked for all those other halo clones!

in all seriousness though, Resistance is not a halo clone and it's pretty unfair to say it is.

Wollan

TheTrin said:
Maybe they'll release games in November, but no systems. :lol

You know, since that game is universal with every language..etc. PAL gamers can start harvesting their launch games from November 17th.

shpankey

not an idiot
while the mouse is better than the analog stick for aiming, the analog stick is better than the keyboard for moving.

BuddyC

REV 09 said:
although i totally disagree w/ his opinion here, it is well worded. The problem is that Gears isn't trying to out-halo Halo.
I don't think that's what Shane is trying to say. It seems he thinks more people will hop on the Resistance bandwagon because he finds it similar to Halo, whereas GoW's multiplayer isn't as conducive towards the deathmatch run-and-gun gameplay style. It's not that Gears or Resistance is trying to out-Halo Halo, but according to Shane, one plays more closely to Halo, and thus should appeal more to fans of Halo, than the other.

DarkRage

People see a FSAAx1000 millions with insane AF levels (obviously not ingame) and they go nuts.

Direct-feed captures have no future in these forums...

jett

D-Member
GoW will outsell Resistance regardless of either games' quality, for reasons that became obvious in the morning.

jett said:
GoW will outsell Resistance regardless of either games' quality, for reasons that became obvious in the morning.

I think both games main competition is Call of Duty 3(and Rainbow Six: Vegas to a lesser degree). Last year CoD2 made short work of PD0 and all other games. Both games are 1st party titles that have gotten the most hype by hardcore fans on the internet. But I could see Call of Duty 3 taking away the spotlight once again and becoming the #1 selling shooter this holiday on either platform, not by much but barely.

Amir0x

Banned
jett said:

I think Resistance will be the 'must buy' PS3 game for many months into its life imo, so if they do get to 6 million by the end of March I wouldn't be surprised if it had sold at least 1million by then.

But, hahaha... who knows.

The last and only time Sony heavily pushed a FPS was Killzone. But the quality wasn't there so it got slaughtered by CoD: Finest Hour and SW: Battlefront. But I think it will be a different story with Resistance. Insomniac has a proven track record for delivering high quality titles in short time periods. Now that they have more time and have picked a genre that will allow them to penetrate a bigger market, I think they'll have a much bigger hit on there hand then what they're use to with the R&C series. I hope Sony goes all out with there ad campaign for Resistance. As long as Insomniac delivers a high quality title, the sales should soar......well that's what should happen.

Rice-Eater said:
The last and only time Sony heavily pushed a FPS was Killzone. But the quality wasn't there so it got slaughtered by CoD: Finest Hour and SW: Battlefront. But I think it will be a different story with Resistance. Insomniac has a proven track record for delivering high quality titles in short time periods. Now that they have more time and have picked a genre that will allow them to penetrate a bigger market, I think they'll have a much bigger hit on there hand then what they're use to with the R&C series. I hope Sony goes all out with there ad campaign for Resistance. As long as Insomniac delivers a high quality title, the sales should soar......well that's what should happen.

pffft...nowadays, a FPS is automatic sell for many people.......(just look at CoD2....)
FPS is synonomous with casual, frankly

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Rice-Eater said:

But Killzone sold 2 million units. Did you know that?

Amir0x said:
I think Resistance will be the 'must buy' PS3 game for many months into its life imo, so if they do get to 6 million by the end of March I wouldn't be surprised if it had sold at least 1million by then.

But, hahaha... who knows.

Agreed. The tracking right now, IMO, would lead Resistance to sell ~1.3-1.4M copies by March. IMO, assuming Sony can actually get 1-1.2M units by Dec 31st and another 1.2 or so for a total of 2.0-2.4M units by the end of March.

And we haven't seen the really good stuff yet.

Unfortunately, only a select few will be able to participate by then, and I'm not going to be one. This game was the hardest part of my deciding to wait out the PS3 launch once it became clear that the insanity quotient for getting a system went beyond my threshhold.

mckmas8808

sonycowboy said:
Agreed. The tracking right now, IMO, would lead Resistance to sell ~1.3-1.4M copies by March. IMO, assuming Sony can actually get 1-1.2M units by Dec 31st and another 1.2 or so for a total of 2.0-2.4M units by the end of March.

And we haven't seen the really good stuff yet.

Unfortunately, only a select few will be able to participate by then, and I'm not going to be one. This game was the hardest part of my deciding to wait out the PS3 launch once it became clear that the insanity quotient for getting a system went beyond my threshhold.

I know you will get one by March. ;)

It's in your blood cowboy.

Wollan

Things will probably have settled down quite a bit by March. Buy your US PS3 the same day as it releases in Europe and you will have a lot of fresh new players here at GAF(and in online multiplayer) to share your experience with, without needing to go through a crazy launch phase.

Wollan said:
Things will probably have settled down quite a bit by March. Buy your US PS3 the same day as it releases in Europe and you will have a lot of fresh new players here at GAF(and in online multiplayer) to share your experience with, without needing to go through a crazy launch phase.

I actually wonder how things are going to change in Europe. March is when Heavenly Sword is scheduled currently. I wonder if Sony will switch which game they push there because of that (HS over Resistance).

Wollan

HS is a totally different game though(as you know). I'm sure people will have heard about Resistance and it's potential success in the US by then with potentially great reviews..etc. Then you will most likely have a online demo, commercials..etc. They will get it for their multiplayer fix while they will get HS for their singleplayer epic(not that Resistance sp sounds average... FAR from it).

Oh yah they're definetly different, i'm just wondering if Sony will switch what they're goign to put their marketing campaign mostly behind. In the US it's pretty clear that the push is being put behind Resistance for their launch titles. That was an obvious choice for Europe also, but if HS is ready at the sametime, do they swap titles to push?

Call of Duty 3 might outsell Resistance. :)

It's not like Call of Duty is a bad game or anything, and it's a known quantity for most gamers.

I think Resistance will get the biggest push in Europe as well. HS may have the home field advantage, but it's just easier to push a epic FPS with a very robust online multiplayer mode.

HocusPocus said:
Call of Duty 3 might outsell Resistance. :)

It's not like Call of Duty is a bad game or anything, and it's a known quantity for most gamers.

I also mentioned this in one of my post on this page. For all the hype that Resistance and Gears is getting, CoD3 still might take the #1 spot on two fronts. I see it being less likely for Gears of War since the game has been hyped to hell for the past year. Where as Resistance is still being kept under the blanket until this coming Friday.

Surreal

I just saw the EGM October scans for this game and it looks great.

I'm happy they confirmed clan support, voice chat, and downloadable content. Multiplayer looks fun, even if they arn't planning vehicles for it.

JB1981

Soo .. I imagine PNP will be a fairly lonesome place come Holiday '06. Or will it be the best time for the hardcore to go online and get some good gaming in?

Surreal

JB1981 said:
Soo .. I imagine PNP will be a fairly lonesome place come Holiday '06. Or will it be the best time for the hardcore to go online and get some good gaming in?

400,000 of the most hardcore people you know fought their way to get a PS3. I'd imagine they'd be ready to some gaming once they got home.

klee123

Assuming Sony actually promises 1.2 million PS3s in US by the end of the year, the resistance fanbase could rapidly grow.

Games like Goldeneye and Halo were constant top sellers, because of their multi player options. I expect the same with Resistance within the first two years of the PS3's life.

mr_nothin

Banned
The lighting/coloring in the scans are completely wrong...its all white
OPM says joyriding around in the jeeps feel very "halo-ish"

Speevy

Banned
I wish people would stop mentioning Halo when referring to Resistance. It might even be better than Halo.

MS likely didn't have a clue before the launch of the Xbox that the game would become THE first person shooter of a generation. Gamers decided that for them.

And there are plenty of perfectly fun multiplayer shooters that didn't receive the kind of reception Halo did, though they maybe should have (?)

The point is that you should count on Resistance being Resistance, and let the rest fall into place. If it's the next big thing in FPS games, that's really out of this board's hands.

Speevy said:
I wish people would stop mentioning Halo when referring to Resistance. It might even be better than Halo.

HALO is the top of the console FPS world, so any other "big" FPS is automatically going to be compared to it whether its fair or not.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Speevy said:
And there are plenty of perfectly fun multiplayer shooters that didn't receive the kind of reception Halo did, though they maybe should have (?)

I'm not saying I necessarily disagree with you, but like your college professor wrote in the white space margin of your midterm paper, it might be good to list specific examples here.

i sure hope Resistance has some REeally good modes and GOOD MAPS. I mean was timesplitter multiplayer that popular or REd Faction

chespace said:
I'm not saying I necessarily disagree with you, but like your college professor wrote in the white space margin of your midterm paper, it might be good to list specific examples here.

PDZ, heh

I actually love PDZ though, seriously

mckmas8808

mr_nothin said:
The lighting/coloring in the scans are completely wrong...its all white
OPM says joyriding around in the jeeps feel very "halo-ish"

ruh-oh.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
mckmas8808 said:
How do they look?
There's no new pics, they're all rehash. Well, they show a couple of new things, like the jeep model, but 95% of the pics are old.

Edit - a few more tidbits:

- Co-op is still offline only. Insomniac says it was never planned for online
- No vehicles in MP
- There are 4 MP maps designed for 40 players, which can be scaled for fewer players (30, 20). Then there are several other maps specifically designed for smaller groups. Doesn't say exactly how many maps overall.
- Unlike in their R&C games where AI was almost completely scripted, AI in RFOM relies on intrinsic behaviors

Surreal said:
400,000 of the most hardcore people you know fought their way to get a PS3. I'd imagine they'd be ready to some gaming once they got home.

Prediction: Only 50,000 will actually take it out of the box on the 17th.

Speevy

Banned
chespace said:

Just playing devil's advocate. I'm only saying that there have been other fun multiplayer shooters on the PC, but none with the reviews and sales of Halo.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
kaching said:
- Co-op is still offline only. Insomniac says it was never planned for online
- No vehicles in MP

this makes me relatively unhappy. especially the no vehicles in multiplayer.

Top Bottom