• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance: Fall of Man - Gamespot First Look

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Tieno said:
This game looks much more impressive in motion to me, like Call of Duty 3 but better. The atmosphere doesn't translate into the screenshots that well and this game seems to have a good amount of it.
Personally I like like the animations. The models feel with some weight when running, unlike other games where the characters "slip" over the floor while moving their legs.

Drek

Tieno said:
This game looks much more impressive in motion to me, like Call of Duty 3 but better. The atmosphere doesn't translate into the screenshots that well and this game seems to have a good amount of it.
The game still looks amazing even in screen shots, but yeah, the animations, etc. really make it shine in motion.

Insomniac has taken this a long way since E3, thats for sure. Its now looking like one hell of a reason to buy a PS3.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Funky Papa said:
Those are some fine looking helmets. I wish more devs could understand the visual impact of having perfecly round helmets and wheels, few things are more anoying that angular objets that are supposed to be round.

yet still NO ****ING ANISOTROPIC FILTERING, this next gen is getting on my nerves
Amen. Also chunky looking ears, and (bald) head angular curvature especially is very annoying when you can spot it easily. Resistance seems to avoid both of those problems luckily, and most curvature problems in general.

And yeah, I can't believe Resistance doesn't seem to have any AF either. Is it really that difficult to put that in, in a 30FPS game nonetheless.

NinSoX

Banned
This is the only game I want from the PS3 launch. It looks really fun. I'm also kind of glad it is 30 fps (just like Halo 1 and 2) as I realized I get very dizzy if it's anything above that.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I really like the level of detail they've achieved in the character models, human and Chimera. Even the details on the guns is impressive.

I esp. like how they've refined the Chimera models over time. Now they need to bring back the giant spider chimera and show a full-size screenshot so we can compare against the original from E3 05.

Mmmkay

I was just thinking about these poor ground textures, and I think because of the sheer size of the native resolution screenshots, they may be suffering from loss of information when rendered that high. Don't get me wrong, they are poor textures, but I think they are being overly softened and attenuated and won't look quite so bad when the game renders at 720p with those assets. Not all textures suffer, because it depends on the resolution of the texture in question before it is scaled.

Here's an example to show what I'm talking about:
On the left is a natively rendered image, on the right I scaled the image up by a factor of 6, then reduced it back to its original size:
nativess7.png
stretchedqz9.png

No AF still sucks though.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Mmmkay said:
I was just thinking about these poor ground textures, and I think because of the sheer size of the native resolution screenshots, they may be suffering from loss of information when rendered that high. Don't get me wrong, they are poor textures, but I think they are being overly softened and attenuated and won't look quite so bad when the game renders at 720p with those assets. Not all textures suffer, because it depends on the resolution of the texture in question before it is scaled.

Here's an example to show what I'm talking about:
On the left is a natively rendered image, on the right I scaled the image up by a factor of 6, then reduced it back to its original size:
nativess7.png
stretchedqz9.png

No AF still sucks though.
That makes absolutely no sense. Try to play a game @ 1600x1200, take a cap, resize it to 1024x768, then take a cap @ 1024x768 and compare the original with the resized one.

jarosh

Mmmkay said:
nativess7.png
stretchedqz9.png
it... doesn't work like that... at all.

sol_bad

Atleast we're gaurenteed a trilogy ala Spyro and Ratchet?
So we'll see what Insomniac can truly achieve with time.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
jarosh said:
it... doesn't work like that... at all.
It does when you take into account that Jim said the original shots he got were at "4400x*" size, quite a bit larger than the target 720p or 1080p resolution of the game. So the original shots Jim got were upscaled from 720/1080p to 4400x* and then downsized back to 720p.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
kaching said:
So the original shots Jim got were upscaled from 720/1080p to 4400x* and then downsized back to 720p.
More like rendered in engine at that res and then pumped from a dev kit.

Mmmkay

Funky Papa said:
That makes absolutely no sense. Try to play a game @ 1600x1200, take a cap, resize it to 1024x768, then take a cap @ 1024x768 and compare the original with the resized one.
What you just described is no different to what I did, expect yours is not even a 2x scale factor.

Okay so your imaginary floor texture is sitting in memory, all happy and glee at say 512x512. The game, rendering at 720p is telling it to place itself to fill an imaginary 512x512 space. That means that it doesn't get attenuated when placed. These devshots are being rendered at ~2880p (it might actually be higher since there was no aliasing in the last batch at 2880p), so when the game calls that 512x512 texture asset from memory, it's now telling it to fill a space that's 2048x2048. The texture gets stretched to 4x its native resolution, and then scaled back down once we resize these devshots to 720p. It's the main difference between a devshot and a bullshot. The devshot will use actual game assets, whereas a bullshot will use offline assets.

jarosh

kaching said:
It does when you take into account that Jim said the original shots he got were at "4400x*" size, quite a bit larger than the target 720p or 1080p resolution of the game. So the original shots Jim got were upscaled from 720/1080p to 4400x* and then downsized back to 720p.
no they were not upscaled. they were rendered at 4400

Oneself

Nobody will complain about ground textures once they will play the game. Every single game features a shitty texture somewhere.

Mmmkay

jarosh said:
no they were not upscaled. they were rendered at 4400
Yes they were rendered at 4400 but it's not using any different texture assets in doing so. It's the texture assets which get upscaled, which is that my point was. You're supposed to pretend that the image I used was just a texture.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Yoboman said:
He was thanked
maybe so, but whats the point of posting the same screens again in a lower res?

Anyways...
anybody notice every soldier on here seems to have a different set of gear on their back? meaning not all the same repeated model over and over...
Jim said:

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Wow, those are fantastic looking.

I'm hoping that the game features extremely large maps as well. One thing I always enjoyed about Halo was the grand feeling you would get from simply moving through the world. Even without loads of detail, the world felt massive. From these shots, the areas look to be pretty large as well. I hope they put their experience to use here (with R&C) and deliver something that is lacking in load screens and places you into a sprawling world.

Yoboman

Bad_Boy said:
maybe so, but whats the point of posting the same screens again in a lower res?

Anyways...
anybody notice every soldier on here seems to have a different set of gear on their back? meaning not all the same repeated model over and over...
The Gaming-Age pics were stuffing up with a bandwidth stealing image (showing just the sites logo)

no vehicles in multiplayer? i dont think multiplayer will last long without them..

i sure hope the co-op runs smoothly unlike last gen where it ran pretty choppy

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Yoboman said:
The Gaming-Age pics were stuffing up with a bandwidth stealing image (showing just the sites logo)
Weird, showed up fine for me. But yeah, my mistake then.

Jim

Yoboman said:

Yah... I only allow hotlinking of large pics from a few forums/sites, NeoGAF obviously being one.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
wait, acousticvan. why are you posting these screens again? Jim already posted them on the previous page (14). o_O

mrwilt

Damn. It looks like this game is pumping out an insane amount of polys! I'd love to find out how many polys this engine is doing per sec.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Bad_Boy said:
wait, acousticvan. why are you posting these screens again? Jim already posted them on the previous page (14). o_O
I appreciate it as I could not view them before (blocked).

Kangu

Banned
Co-op looks to good to be true. It's like it's not downgraded at all.

Everything else is shaping up nicely. The helmets are using voxels or some shit because they are way too round, the chimera seem to have more eyes every new batch of shots and the running animations are really really nice.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Mmmkay said:
Are you like permanently 30 minutes delayed or something?
:lol oh man. I wanted to say that for a while, but thought it was a little harsh.
I love gaf ;p

travisbickle said:
Did they have double yellow lines back in the late 30's?

Those arent the same double yellow lines that are used in the states...they are next to the curb. Any English people on here care to share what the hell they are there for? Just never seen them on the side of the road like that....bike lane maybe?

.....and yes, I know its a little OT.

Top Bottom