• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Respawn details Titanfall 2 changes due to feedback (Speed, Titan acquisition, more)

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Good, good! Great, even, thank you for actually listening to your fans, I never played the first one but I was disappointed to hear about the changes for the sequel. Now I'm excited again :D

Sounds great, all of those changes seem like a push in the right direction. If they continue to re-balance more Titan stuff and make pilot ttk longer, they'll have addressed most of my issues with the test.

jet1911

These sound like good changes. I was actually okay with the new rodeo system, so I don't mind that staying the same.

It would make a lot more snese if Titans had a shield when they drop and if a pilot steal your battery then you loose your shield. Right now your Titan drops with no shield, a pilot steal your battery, you get your battery back and then you have a shield. Doesn't make sense.

TTK needs to be a bit longer too.

SwolBro

Banned
oh wow look at here exactly what i said they'd do to the movement... they aren't crazy!!!

will the nonsense stop now?

Acidote

If they're addressing those problems as they say, then this is the right answer.

And the fact that they don't mention any addition of AI bots makes it an even better answer.

Seems like the major problems with Titanfall 2 stem from a fundamental shift in design philosophy. I doubt these small adjustments will appease longtime Titanfall 1 fans, as the base game is simply too different.

Alienous

I do wonder if it's enough, but it is the right direction.

oh wow look at here exactly what i said they'd do to the movement... they aren't crazy!!!

will the nonsense stop now?

Do remind us. I thought you were advocating that Titanfall 2's speed was fine, but they are increasing it.

I'm not seeing about first person Titan-embarking animations. That was a huge complaint from just about everyone...surely they're going to do something about it?

Anung

Un Rama
Sounds like a nice start but from the way they were talking about TF2's development it might have some issues on a fundamental level.

SwolBro

Banned
I'm not seeing about first person Titan-embarking animations. That was a huge complaint from just about everyone...surely they're going to do something about it?

or titan shields. or the map feedback. or rodeo.or first person animations

first person animations isn't a multiplayer issue though, doesn't effect multiplayer and from my understanding these guys are directly involved with gameplay elements.

plus, this is something they can't do overnight. they can't just tweak a little code. they're graphical designers will have to create this from scratch.

hold out hope though

am i wrong or do i remember you saying the speed was fine?

so by changing it it would be....not fine?
i always recognized that wall speeds were reduced and that they would probably change it but the mechanics themselves were not changed. you can probably find 50 posts that i have already stated this in one form or another just in the last day.

MrNelson

Banned
So, based on these changes (and without seeing them in action), my list of complaints is brought to this:
  • No AI Grunts in any mode other than Bounty Hunt (and even then they are very limited)
  • No Attrition
  • Pared down Titan loadout customization
  • Burn cards are gone
  • Maps aren't conducive to extended chaining (the rest of the maps could prove me wrong, so I'll wait until release to finalize judgement)
  • No Titan auto-shield regen
  • Wallhanging is a perk for some reason
  • Having to choose between a sidearm and an anti-titan weapon
This is a good step, but I'm still not convinced to pick it up at launch, still planning on Redboxing it before I make the decision.

I'm sure that's fairly low on their list of priorities because it doesn't directly affect gameplay like a lot of the other complaints.

Great that Respawn is listening to feedback and this is a solid start. A few more gameplay tweaks / some of the maps being not huge open fields and more like TF1 maps can go a long way.

Doesn't address the time to kill problem or lack of titan customization/shields so I'm still not interested unfortunately. Also "promising" us the other maps will be better means nothing, show the receipts.

Tapejara

Glad they're making some changes. Going to give the tech test another shot this weekend and hope I enjoy it more than the previous weekend. Appreciate that Respawn is listening!

zonezeus

I don't want to sound like a whiner, these are very solid changes and it's nice to know Respawn is listening, but short TTK and glowing red outlines around characters still make this game a most probable no-buy for me. We shall see about the maps too, they can make or brake this game.

blakep267

Eh there's still other things

- red outline of players
- locking special Titan abilities to certain frames
- lack of AI participants
- TTK being low

I suppose I can live with the Titan abilities being kept to certain frames and the red outline, but I can't compromise on no attrition and low TTK

Wow, this is great. I honestly was moping around a little in the last week as the beta actually brought down my mood. But this announcement is great news.

Now maybe a tweak to TTK if this weekends testing shows a need for it. I imagine that's an extremely easy change. Like adjusting a number in a config file easy.

Doesn't address the time to kill problem or lack of titan customization/shields so I'm still not interested unfortunately. Also "promising" us the other maps will be better means nothing, show the receipts.

For what we know this could be like halo 5 where a week before launch 343 went back on server selection after telling us they would add it after the beta.

A lot of these changes are just value tweaks, the titans still lack recharging shields, you still die near instantly as a pilot, the two maps shown off are still going to be bland, the AI is dead forever and the feeling of titanfall 1 is lost in a void even though it was brilliant at the time and still is.

I'll believe the game has Titanfall maps when I see them after what they said about their design philosophy and them deciding not to put a Titanfall map in a Titanfall beta. This sounds like damage control. Also, no AI/Attrition still means I'm not interested. Bounty hunt incentivizes play styles that aren't fun which is the opposite of what Attrition did. TTK needs to change as well or even Titanfall maps won't be viable for pilot mobility.

So, based on these changes (and without seeing them in action), my list of complaints is brought to this:
  • No AI Grunts in any mode other than Bounty Hunt (and even then they are very limited)
  • No Attrition
  • Burn cards are gone
  • Maps aren't conducive to extended chaining (the rest of the maps could prove me wrong, so I'll wait until release to finalize judgement)
This is a good step, but I'm still not convinced to pick it up at launch, still planning on Redboxing it before I make the decision.

This is where I stand too. I just want confirmation on Attrition. If its dead, confirm it is. If it isn't, confirm it isn't. Just tell me one way or another.

I actually like the idea of no Titan Auto Shield Regen, but I do not like their implementation of it. With no titan timer, they died way to quickly without being rodeod.

Good. Keep listening Respawn, there's still quite a bit of work I'd personally like done. *coughsFullCustomTitans* Keep up the positive adjustments, and I might keep my vanguard preorder after all.

wbarreda

No mention of AI soldiers or Attrition.

Preorder still canceled.
It does seem that attrition is out. I will wait until we confirm that the maps are a step back across the board before I say I am out.

Also, no one has given me a good answer on why I have to chose between an anti-Titan weapon and a side arm.

jeffc919

No mention of AI soldiers or Attrition.

Preorder still canceled.

Yea, I'm glad some people are satisfied with these changes and looking forward to the game again but it is still dead to me if they don't bring back Attrition or a similar enough mode, and Bounty Hunter is NOT a similar enough mode.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
I'll believe the traditional map stuff when I see one. Forwardbase Kodai looks better than the first 2, but that's not exactly a ringing endorsement.

This is where I stand too. I just want confirmation on Attrition. If its dead, confirm it is. If it isn't, confirm it isn't. Just tell me one way or another.

I actually like the idea of no Titan Auto Shield Regen, but I do not like their implementation of it. With no titan timer, they died way to quickly without being rodeod.

the no confirmation either way makes me think its attrition but tweaked, otherwise known as...not attrition.

or, worst case, just bounty hunt

HariKari

It's a good start but this list shows they've got a long way to go. The AI grunts really did add a new wrinkle that was fun. Have to wonder if the lack of Azure is really the reason.

So, based on these changes (and without seeing them in
action), my list of complaints is brought to this:
  • No Attrition
  • Burn cards are gone

killbox

sounds great, it's not only cool that they are listening to the feedback, but also communicating the changes before they happen.

I have no doubt that this is not some final list of changes as many here seem to take it.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Respawn fixed (almost) all the negatives, right? Biggest ones were Titan timer and Pilot speed/movement and that's being tweaked.

Not really worried about modes and maps since they'll be added in future updates.

Respect to them for both listening to fans, and not going overboard with it.

Hyped! Hoping these changes will be reflected this weekend. :D

Top Bottom