• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Respawn details Titanfall 2 changes due to feedback (Speed, Titan acquisition, more)

SwolBro

Banned
So, based on these changes (and without seeing them in action), my list of complaints is brought to this:
  • No AI Grunts in any mode other than Bounty Hunt (and even then they are very limited)
  • No Attrition
  • Pared down Titan loadout customization
  • Burn cards are gone
  • Maps aren't conducive to extended chaining (the rest of the maps could prove me wrong, so I'll wait until release to finalize judgement)
  • No Titan auto-shield regen
  • Wallhanging is a perk for some reason
This is a good step, but I'm still not convinced to pick it up at launch, still planning on Redboxing it before I make the decision.

• The grunt issue is probably something we won't know about until launch. it's not something they can tweak
  • they have a ton of modes coming, if attrition isn't ready to be showcased or talked about, or maybe they haven't even considered bring it back i can see them not mentioning it here
  • Lets hope this is considered
  • Burn cards were awful, they should stay gone
  • They just said there's a ton of different types of maps, ones that are conducive to parkouring
  • No titan auto-shield is something they are sticking by apparently
  • Wallhang should be a perk. Lots of people hated it, and since the launch of the original was being asked to become mapped to a different button or removed entirely, especially by the more 'pro" crowd. It's there for people that want to use it.

I don't want to sound like a whiner, these are very solid changes and it's nice to know Respawn is listening, but short TTK and glowing red outlines around characters still make this game a most probable no-buy for me. We shall see about the maps too, they can make or brake this game.
Yeah, i don't know what they'll do in regards to TTK. Maybe they feel with less player glow and faster movement TTK won't feel as bad?

Eh there's still other things

- red outline of players
- locking special Titan abilities to certain frames
- lack of AI participants
- TTK being low

I suppose I can live with the Titan abilities being kept to certain frames and the red outline, but I can't compromise on no attrition and low TTK
* they reduced player outline from distance, hopefully it's a significant change
* still to be seen
* still to be seen
* this could feel different after some of the tweaks made

They need to bring back regen shields on Titans. Simply increasing their health pool does not solve the resulting issue (Titan battles are now just wars of attrition) and will make the Titans feel even spongier than they are now. Also, rodeos need to change.

mdubs

Banned
Excellent, good on Respawn to looking at the feedback. I didn't play the demo but reading the threads of feedback I agreed with the general sentiment that we want a Titanfall that feels like Titanfall, not Call of Duty

All sounds good.

Now, I need to wait for release to see if these maps were actually planned this way, or if this is a 'make suicide squad funny' post BvS reaction. Releasing a new map this weekend to the tech test would be a good move if they actually have more traditional maps out there.

This all puts things back on my radar.

Though, we need that AI back, but I think that may be a "having to pay for server time without free Azure" issue.

Also, Titan personal shields.

Yes, this. I'd like to try it out.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm going to throw out a prediction that Attrition will be the first (non-bug fixing) update to Titanfall 2 post launch.

Yea, I'm glad some people are satisfied with these changes and looking forward to the game again but it is still dead to me if they don't bring back Attrition or a similar enough mode, and Bounty Hunter is NOT a similar enough mode.

Yeah losing Attrition is a big loss. I'm still not 100% sold on being back on board as there are still things I have issues with that aren't addressed here, but it's a solid start. Respawn still has 2 months before release so it's possible they could further improve the game

jet1911

Maybe, but like the character video chatter from the first game, it affects how the overall experience feels.

A lot of the time in the tech test when i got in a Titan the camera would just clip through the level while spinning around. It looks bad.

Also I'm not sure that having access to amped weapons so often is a good idea especially when the TTK is sol low already.

Gator86

All very positive. Y'all can untwist those panties now.

Except that these changes are the direct result of "twisted panties." People should keep giving their feedback. Like others, I'm still hoping for further tweaks, including the return of Titan shields, for example.

Sojgat

They need to bring back regen shields on Titans. Simply increasing their health pool does not solve the resulting issue (Titan battles are now just wars of attrition) and will make the Titans feel even spongier than they are now. Also, rodeos need to change.

Nah, once they learn about teamwork, randoms will totally bring you a battery.

This system is foolproof.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm going to throw out a prediction that Attrition will be the first (non-bug fixing) update to Titanfall 2 post launch.
I'm expecting them to do what Battlefield often does and have the first content drop be a throwback to maps/gear/modes from previous titles.

MrNelson

Banned
It does seem that attrition is out. I will wait until we confirm that the maps are a step back across the board before I say I am out.

Also, no one has given me a good answer on why I have to chose between an anti-Titan weapon and a side arm.
I completely forgot about this, adding it to my list.

Except that these changes are the direct result of "twisted panties." People should keep giving their feedback. Like others, I'm still hoping for further tweaks, including the return of Titan shields, for example.

Yeah not sure what is up with some of these posts. People stating what they didn't like about the game is exactly why we are getting these improvements

Calderc

Dude, there's feedback and there's what was going on in the impressions thread. The two aren't the same.

I genuinely dont know how close they can make Titanfall 2 to Titanfall "2" but good on them for at least listening to feedback. I always felt that most of the movement and balance complaints would be easy to fix but the maps bit still worries me. That would be way more difficult to redo.

Lunar15

Will be interesting to see how Week 2 goes. A lot of it is going to depend on the map they roll out.

We've seen the map in preview vids, and while the interior areas of the warehouse look a little more traditional, I'd say it's largely the same design philosophy as the first two maps.

I mean, the thing here is that respawn didn't just change the movement speeds when they made TF2: They made a whole new game. I'm not quite sure just going back to the old movement speeds really changes anything.

Now, DLC down the road? We'll probably see some TF1 style maps... and maybe attrition. (On a personal level, I never found Attrition to be all that great. I really enjoyed Hardpoint and CTF with the added AI grunts in the mix)

zonezeus

Yeah, i don't know what they'll do in regards to TTK. Maybe they feel with less player glow and faster movement TTK won't feel as bad?

We shall see, faster movement should definitely help, but that partly depends on the maps. I'd personally get rid of the glow altogether and rethink amped weapons.

SwolBro

Banned

You mean like they shot someone rodeoing you off your back? Reality is the rodeo system was a bit fucked up. You had to either

1. get out of your titan, and hope the rodeoing pilot was dumb enough to stay on your titan or jumped straight up in the air so you could kill him quickly

or

2. shoot a cluster at a wall and quickly get out of your titan and back in

Because in a PUB match it was hard to find someone smart enough to shoot him off. Even in PUG matches if someone was rodeoing you, you were screwed if a teammate didn't save you. Because good players knew how to jump off the titan and kill you right when you got out. It's was a 75-25 shitty situation.

This change could be for the better. It automatically knocks the guy off you, and as more players become better with the new Titan mechanics it's going to be a more skillful (on both ends) situation.

zou

I'm surprised and happy they are actually addressing the issues rather than explaining them away, kudos.

I just really hope they go back to Titans having regen shields, remove the player glow altogether and add AI/Attrition. Oh and TF1 maps ported to TF2 as a DLC.

Edit: Oh and Rodeo in TF1 was so much better, it's a joke.

ethomaz

Banned
Holy shit! These are huge changes that could break the game, I didn't think the reception for tech test was this negative.
It was terrible... outside GAF too.

I'm curious how they reached suck drastic changes from original Titanfall...

I am surprised and happy. The feedback was good, the criticism was always well explained by the community.

I am STILL skeptical of map design and would like to see the maps as they come. It's all that I am holding out for. If they are good, I will pick up Titanfall day one.

The only thing they havent mentioned is A.I in modes like Hardpoint.

IMO, it needs to happen, as it provided incredibly cinematic gameplay and offered some greater diversity to how you played.

They can balance it out how they like, but grunts really shouldnt be just in Bounty

Alienous

That is a problem.

I think it can be partially solved by starting Titans with shields, so people don't keep them for themselves, and communicating that using a battery on a friendly Titan reduces your 'time to Titanfall'.

Needs:
-Grappling Hook Available to all classes
-AI bots & attrition
-Titan Regen Shields (adds so much strategy)
-Option to rodeo & destroy titan OR steal the battery (still prefer just destroying the titan like previous game)

jet1911

You mean like they shot someone rodeoing you off your back? Reality is the rodeo system was a bit fucked up. You had to either

1. get out of your titan, and hope the rodeoing pilot was dumb enough to stay on your titan or jumped straight up in the air so you could kill him quickly

or

2. shoot a cluster at a wall and quickly get out of your titan and back in

Because in a PUB match it was hard to find someone smart enough to shoot him off. Even in PUG matches if someone was rodeoing you, you were screwed if a teammate didn't save you.

This change could be for the better. It automatically knocks the guy off you, and as more players become better with the new Titan mechanics it's going to be a more skillful (on both ends) situation.

Or you could nuclear eject, taking the rodeoing player by surprise, shoot him in the face and get another Titan 30 seconds later.

Sorry Respawn but I consider bots and large maps key for the Titanfall experience.
Also, I used to get two or three titans per match, one I think is what you get by standing and doing nothing. Titan is in your title.
I'm fine with slower mobility but the unpredictability of the first game was what made it so casual appealing.

I missed when the focus of the game was making everyplayer feel like a badass.

It would make a lot more snese if Titans had a shield when they drop and if a pilot steal your battery then you loose your shield. Right now your Titan drops with no shield, a pilot steal your battery, you get your battery back and then you have a shield. Doesn't make sense.

TTK needs to be a bit longer too.

Lear the new mechanics you have a shield if you pick up a battery before getting in the Titans.

My only problem was the speed and lack of bunny hops so I'm super happy with this update.

wbarreda

Hopefully they address the spawns on the test maps as I got spawned camped multiple times; which I don't recall happening to me in TF1.

B3N1

Okay, that's promising. Still seems titans will be on a steadily increasing meter now, rather than a countdown (i liked knowing how much I have left). Maybe they'll patch that in later.

The movement stuff is taken care of as I see, that's so good to hear.

It does seem that attrition is out. I will wait until we confirm that the maps are a step back across the board before I say I am out.

Also, no one has given me a good answer on why I have to chose between an anti-Titan weapon and a side arm.

Also these. The sidearm v anti-titan weapon choice is a game-changer for me.

I'd also love the old titan building system back, but no way they'll throw this one out in favor of that.

Not sure about the rodeo changes though. The new one with the automatic jump off seems rather dangerous and much less rewarding for the pilot.

CrayToes

Definitely going to give it another shot this week. Kudos to Respawn for reacting so quickly. Although, I'm not sure just how much they can fix in 2 months ultimately.

Bydobob

These are my biggest concerns too, Titan combat and rodeoing seem to lack depth at this stage. Welcome changes nonetheless, Respawn are good people and I'll expect there'll be many more tweaks in the future.

dankir

One Titan per match is still not good enough in a game called TitanFall.

And two months is not nearly enough time to redo the maps. too little too late. the should have had the beta earlier in the year.

One? I played a shitload and I was getting 2 - 3 per match.

SwolBro

Banned
These are my biggest concerns too, Titan combat and rodeoing seem to lack depth at this stage. Welcome changes nonetheless, Respawn are good people and I'll expect there'll be many more tweaks in the future.

Rodeoing just made things harder for pilots trying to bring down titans, not easier. How does that lack depth?

That is a problem.

I think it can be partially solved by starting Titans with shields, so people don't keep them for themselves, and communicating that using a battery on a friendly Titan reduces your 'time to Titanfall'.

Yes, absolutely. It makes little sense the way it works now.

Even starting with a partial shield would be okay. I think they probably have too much in place with unrevealed loadouts and options to make the change though.

Man, I AM EXCITED AGAIN!!

Just need to see the maps and remaining modes.

Alienous

I think there's more strategy in the idea of having your Titan's shield manually restored. The battery system just isn't quite there, yet.

There's no enough incentive to risk getting killed while rodeoing to steal a battery. And dead Titans litter the map with batteries (which I think shouldn't happen).

I certainly think Titans should start with a shield, but I'm not so sure about it regenerating. I'd like for players to leave their Titans, and steal shield batteries from other Titans, perhaps to weaken them before combat, or restore their own shields. But that still leaves the rodeo mechanic in a weird place - I'd like to be able to destroy enemy shields by firing my gun during rodeo, similar to Titanfall 1, but then you'd have to make stealing the shield much riskier. And at that point would people even bother? And if for themselves, for allies? I don't think so.

When TF1 came out all I heard was people complaining about the dumb AI lol. This is probably why they are talking about contradictions on twitter. I'd say the changes are positive and doable. The game is completely salvageable and the test was fun. Just not as fun as it could be. I'm glad they specified the intent behind the Homestead map. I thought Boomtown was a great map though. Not Angel City god tier though.

Top Bottom