• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Respawn details Titanfall 2 changes due to feedback (Speed, Titan acquisition, more)

The End

Good changes all around.

I'm not in love with the new rodeo/battery system but I get why they're doing it.

It was a pain to deal with before (see above) if you didn't have electric smoke equipped.

Rodeoing just made things harder for pilots trying to bring down titans, not easier. How does that lack depth?

Everything is a precanned animation now. You jump on, pull out a battery, and then throw in grenades (I dont even think you need to equip grenades to begin with).

Before, you could play a cat and mouse game where you could shoot, and then jump off and confuse the Titans.

I think there should have been more mechanics around that, then what they ended up doing.

Arrrammis

I like the changes so far. I assume/hope that we'll see a version of every game mode with A.I. bots and a version without. There would be some exceptions (Bounty really only works with A.I.), but overall it would be cool to choose the pace of the battle. No bots mode for people who want a "pure" PvP experience, and bots for players who want a bit more variety and constant action.

When TF1 came out all I heard was people complaining about the dumb AI lol. This is probably why they are talking about contradictions on twitter. I'd say the changes are positive and doable. The game is completely salvageable and the test was fun. Just not as fun as it could be. I'm glad they specified the intent behind the Homestead map. I thought Boomtown was a great map though. Not Angel City god tier though.

Many people complained about the dumb AI, but the truth is that no one plays the modes without the AIs. I think they make the game feel unique.

KJRS_1993

Absolutely a positive step in the right direction and this makes me feel a little better, but I'm disappointed that adding more bots isn't on the list. In the original, bots made games feel less like Call of Duty style "arenas" and more like an actual engaging "high stakes" battle.

The original also has background music, and Titanfall 2 doesn't. I was missing that as well.

I'll be happy to eat my words, Vince. We all just want Titanfall 2 to be great! Thank you, Respawn, for hearing the gamers and your fans. Looking forward to trying again this weekend.

This is a good start, but not sure if its enough to rope me back in. These changes at the moment are just words...lets see how much they actually tweak this stuff and how it plays out in actual game play.

SwolBro

Banned
Everything is a precanned animation now. You jump on, pull out a battery, and then throw in grenades (I dont even think you need to equip grenades to begin with).

Before, you could play a cat and mouse game where you could shoot, and then jump off and confuse the Titans.

I think there should have been more mechanics around that, then what they ended up doing.
I get it but the changes make sense, and if they're sticking with the no shields you clearly can't have a pilot rodeoing a titan with an LMG now can you? I think the cat and mouse will still be there, it just won't be in the pilots advantage.

These words don't really mean that much. They were probably going to show maps off anyway, and the movement speed being "tuned" doesn't say how much of a change we might actually see. It's nice to see that they'll add in gradual Titan gain, but how much?

Wait and see, that's all that can be done now.

I get it but the changes make sense, and if they're sticking with the no shields you clearly can't have a pilot rodeoing a titan with an LMG now can you? I think the cat and mouse will still be there, it just won't be in the pilots advantage.

It wasn't pilot's advantage, not unless the Titan was AI controlled. It was pretty fair, with good pilots knowing how to cheese the rodeo of bad titans or knowing how to use the ranged Anti-Titan weapons to their advantage. Bad pilots got squished, shot, or my personal favorite, Arc Cannon'd into a pretty red mist.

Keasar

• The grunt issue is probably something we won't know about until launch. it's not something they can tweak
  • they have a ton of modes coming, if attrition isn't ready to be showcased or talked about, or maybe they haven't even considered bring it back i can see them not mentioning it here
  • Lets hope this is considered
  • Burn cards were awful, they should stay gone
  • They just said there's a ton of different types of maps, ones that are conducive to parkouring
  • No titan auto-shield is something they are sticking by apparently
  • Wallhang should be a perk. Lots of people hated it, and since the launch of the original was being asked to become mapped to a different button or removed entirely, especially by the more 'pro" crowd. It's there for people that want to use it.

I think it is very guaranteed at this point that A.I soldiers aren't in the game. We haven't seen at all in any of the trailers, they are only neutral in the Bounty mode so far and its 2 months left until the release of the game. No major changes like adding the A.I soldiers happens in 2 months when it comes to games like these.

Do agree on Burn Cards, hated those. Don't like randomization in my competitive games.

Pretty sure that most maps in TF1 were designed around wallrunning? I will say this though, Homestead was a awful design in my opinion. I would have placed some structures, rocks, large trees, anything pilots can actively use on the big areas to the sides of the maps. There should always be options.

Loss of Auto-Shields is sad cause the new battery healing kerfuffle is not any entertaining as a replacement.

Do agree on wallhang, sorta, I liked having the option but definitely needed to be mapped to another button. Like E on keyboard, it doesn't get used when wallrunning anyway. Dunno about controllers though, holding down LS? :p

zou

What's funny is they wanted to make TF2 more predictable. Which lead to the removal of the titan timer, making that part of the game completely unpredictable, especially when compared to the original game.

Chris1

Yeah I think AI is gone, which makes me think Attrition might not ever come back. No Attrition will bum a lot of people out I think, they need to say something about that if it's coming in a future update or not.

I have to wonder if they decided to do it due to people not liking them, or if it's a result of not being MS exclusive & having azure cheap at their disposal and having to switch to MultiPlay or whatever.

Seijuro

At this point Respawn should have noticed the many comments and worries about missing AI and Attrition. Wonder why they don't comment on these points in one way or another.

Bydobob

You haven't been following these threads have you. Arguing with Swolbro is a fools errand.

We'll have to trust them that there are more mechanics regarding Titans that will affect their gameplay. So, as far as rodeoing goes, we'll see.

I just think it's silly I can throw grenades in a precanned animation, when Im not even carrying grenades.

One thing I dont like is boosts. If Titans were like a scorestreak, boosts are even worse as everyone equips their own little buff.

While Burncards were good in theory, some of them were stupidly horrible decisions. I'm hoping boosts dont work the way they currently do

Chris1

At this point Respawn should have noticed the many comments and worries about missing AI and Attrition. Wonder why they don't comment on these points in one way or another.

Of course they noticed.. they just won't comment because it'll only bring more negativity when they say it's not coming back.

a916

They literally just addressed all my concerns (we'll see how they implement them) but wow... bravo, just bravo...

SwolBro

Banned
It wasn't pilot's advantage, not unless the Titan was AI controlled. It was pretty fair, with good pilots knowing how to cheese the rodeo of bad titans or knowing how to use the ranged Anti-Titan weapons to their advantage. Bad pilots got squished, shot, or my personal favorite, Arc Cannon'd into a pretty red mist.
That's actually not true. Given two equally skilled players the pilot has an advantage. I tell you this because in PUG matches you are fucked if a teammate doesn't help you. You don't have time to get out of your Titan like you can in a public match, people are smarter, you aren't going to just turn around and shoot the guy off your Titan. If you get rodeod by a stealth+lmg pilot you're as good as done without cluster immediately available.

I think it is very guaranteed at this point that A.I soldiers aren't in the game. We haven't seen at all in any of the trailers, they are only neutral in the Bounty mode so far and its 2 months left until the release of the game. No major changes like adding the A.I soldiers happens in 2 months when it comes to games like these.

Pretty sure that most maps in TF1 were designed around wallrunning? I will say this though, Homestead was a awful design in my opinion. I would have placed some structures, rocks, large trees, anything pilots can actively use on the big areas to the sides of the maps. There should always be options.

Loss of Auto-Shields is sad cause the new battery healing kerfuffle is not any entertaining as a replacement.

Do agree on wallhang, sorta, I liked having the option but definitely needed to be mapped to another button. Like E on keyboard, it doesn't get used when wallrunning anyway. Dunno about controllers though, holding down LS? :p
A.I not being in most modes would be very disappointing. There are some really shitty maps in Titanfall 1, people need to stop with the nostalgia glasses lol. I do agree that Homestead is an awful map though. They needed to have a more visible way to quickly parkour out of those open fields . We won't know how the auto-shields work or how the new titans play out until we get all of it together. It's why i've refrained from arguing with people about it.

Wallhang on the console was placed on left trigger. It was fucking awful. You'd want to bounce off walls and ADS only to occasionally get stuck in a wallhang.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Many players are wondering why we changed the mobility from Titanfall 1. We identified two major issues we wanted to solve in Titanfall 2. The first is that a lack of player predictability would often cause players to be shot from the back or sides. While flanking is an important part of gameplay death often felt random instead of skillful. The second issue is that close range firefights were overly chaotic due to erratic player movement. So, changes to pilot mobility stemmed from a desire to improve our gunplay, and not a desire to slow down movement.

In other words, "we wanted to make Pilots easier to shoot at and kill"

Chris1

No mention of the lack of bots or low TTK.

Rayme said in the impressions topic the TTK is the same.

I'm inclined to believe him, I think the reason it feels faster is the map design and speed. On TF1 you could get away/break their line of sight almost instantly and survive giving the illusion of higher TTK, on TF2 if you get shot you're dead basically.

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member
Removing Titan shields for "teamwork" reasons is horse crap. They make it sound liker the only way to remove a pilot from a rodeo was to disembark and fight them "1 on 1". Do they even play the game? Hell, I was in a LTS match last night and a teammate had a triple threat and got rodeo'd, he boosted over to a wall and shot some nades up into it, they bounced back down and killed the enemy. My mind was blown.

Titan gameplay in the original is so tactical and deep that you can still see new shit like that even after nearly a thousand hours playing. In the new game it's garbage. Also, good luck getting teammates to put their batteries into your titans, or stop moving so you can theirs. Unless you're playing in a party of course. For the average gamer though, it's rarely gonna happen.

wbarreda

Of course they noticed.. they just won't comment because it'll only bring more negativity when they say it's not coming back.
I agree. If it was in they would already have said something. I think they should bite the bullet now and say it isn't coming back unless they are reversing course.

wtf is up with these posts?

people gave feedback to a beta. its literally what its designed for.

Some got hyper defensive of the game once the tone of discussions wasn't in line with what they wanted it to be.

What they don't get is that the negative reactions are probably large reason why we'll be seeing those changes.

All sounds good.

Now, I need to wait for release to see if these maps were actually planned this way, or if this is a 'make suicide squad funny' post BvS reaction. Releasing a new map this weekend to the tech test would be a good move if they actually have more traditional maps out there.

This all puts things back on my radar.

Though, we need that AI back, but I think that may be a "having to pay for server time without free Azure" issue.

Also, Titan personal shields.

Oh god this is a thing now huh?

Glad they are listening, as someone who enjoys playing but isnt very good my biggest concern was I would hardly get a titan, glad they are changing it to how it was in titan fall 1

Ok, now where are the AI Grunts?

Didn't everyone complain about too much AI back when Titanfall 1 was out? I remember having to defend that like crazy then, even though I wish it had more PvP aspects.

All the criticism of the tech test felt a lot like the usual internet complaints over change just like every other sequel game. People need to learn to deal with changes and adapt... Maybe the devs actually thought about these changes more than we did

MrNelson

Banned
You mean like they shot someone rodeoing you off your back? Reality is the rodeo system was a bit fucked up. You had to either

1. get out of your titan, and hope the rodeoing pilot was dumb enough to stay on your titan or jumped straight up in the air so you could kill him quickly

or

2. shoot a cluster at a wall and quickly get out of your titan and back in
Electric smoke?
It gave you enough time to dash away from the pilot's position once they jumped, didn't cause nearly as much self damage as cluster missiles, and aided in escaping Titan engagements.

I could accept that you had no shields at the start if it wasn't for the fact that you can kill someone that takes your battery and place it back in your Titan and suddenly have shields. It just doesn't make sense.

Didn't everyone complain about too much AI back when Titanfall 1 was out? I remember having to defend that like crazy then, even though I wish it had more PvP aspects.

All the criticism of the tech test felt a lot like the usual internet complaints over change just like every other sequel game. People need to learn to deal with changes and adapt... Maybe the devs actually thought about these changes more than we did
The people that were complaining were the ones that weren't playing. They added in Pilot Hunt for those people and a majority of the players chose to remain in game modes populated by Grunts. To me, they were a big part of what made Titanfall what it was. They helped fill empty spaces in the maps and really made you feel like you were participating in a large scale battle, not to mention providing visual cover making it harder for enemy pilots to pick you out from a distance. Without the Grunts (among some other problems I listed), it just doesn't feel like Titanfall to me.

I agree. If it was in they would already have said something. I think they should bite the bullet now and say it isn't coming back unless they are reversing course.
Seems like something that could be added in later as (hopefully free) DLC to keep the game up and alive and pull in a second wave of buyers who were initially holdouts.

Caffeine

so now everyone that said preorder cancelled in the last 3 threads is probably back on board lmao

still doesnt change what I said before pls keep attrition out and bots out of the gamemodes.

SwolBro

Banned
From what i remember going around the net it was that and player count only being 6v6. People just kept going all toxic and not giving the game a chance. Seems like people want to repeat that mistake, but this time those people are supposedly "fans"

Electric smoke?
It gave you enough time to dash away from the pilot's position once they jumped, didn't cause nearly as much self damage as cluster missiles, and aided in escaping Titan engagements.

I could accept that you had no shields at the start if it wasn't for the fact that you can kill someone that takes your battery and place it back in your Titan and suddenly have shields. It just doesn't make sense.

Oh yeah, smoke. haha. so few people equip that in PUG matches that i sometimes forget about it. It's still something that any decent pilot can get away from quickly.

But listen if it were up to me i'd have the titan shields still in. I just will reserve judgement on this aspect of the game once we get to see all the abilities, all the titans, etc. The rodeo isn't a big deal to me. The change is fine for how most PUG situations play out with good players.

I thought the TTK was fine, it just wasn't great in conjunction with the lower movement speed. You don't want to feel like the other dude is a bullet sponge who is always escaping. I was still pulling sick moves and making crazy escapes just like the first game.

I'll give it a try next weekend, but I'll hold off until reviews/WoM hits before I buy in.

I haven't played that much of the first game, but not being able to eject hundreds of feet into the air in the Tech Test is such a bummer. Between that, the boring big open map, the changes to the rodeo system...good on 'em for listening, I guess, but the changes I'd like to see are a bit too fundamental for numbers tweaks.

From what i remember going around the net it was that and player count only being 6v6. People just kept going all toxic and not giving the game a chance. Seems like people want to repeat that mistake, but this time those people are supposedly "fans"

Yeah... This year seems to be the year of overreacting extremely fast before giving devs a chance to explain. My brain goes towards the No Man's Sky/FFXV delays and this tech test. I mean I know many gamers have an unhealthy amount of entitlement but this year seems unrivaled

Spookie

I thought the TTK was fine, it just wasn't great in conjunction with the lower movement speed. You don't want to feel like the other dude is a bullet sponge who is always escaping. I was still pulling sick moves and making crazy escapes just like the first game.

On the PC it'll be a shit show. You'll die before you can react with the current TTK. I've no interest in picking it up until they improve it.

so now everyone that said preorder cancelled in the last 3 threads is probably back on board lmao

Nope, I am not. Still don't like the maps so far. Titan shields was a huge meta game in the first game. No customizable titans. Just not a fun game for me. Maybe once I see some different maps but so far my pre-order is still canceled.

Good to see them responding directly to the criticisms and leaving little TL;DR summaries of each point.

Will still wait and see how things shake out after release, but this gives me some optimism.

Top Bottom