• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Respawns Abbie Heppe: "We're not dropping the resolution" of Titanfall for launch

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdrr gnr

LMAO.

Look at Kojima. Oh yeah. Clear. Straight forward. Honest.

And at $40, still robbing the fanbase at gunpoint.
What are you talking about? He's right -- you're wrong. You aren't forced to alter your perception of value.
Requested a permban to better focus on the rest of his life. He had a kid on the way, if I remember correctly.
Why not just exercise self-control? He was a good poster and I've never understood self-imposed bans. If you need a break, take one.

PBY

Banned
Yes. But, on the other hand, the final build isn't public yet. So there still is a chance, it just seems unlikely.

And, we have been lied to by Penello before, quiet obviously. But Respawn isn't Microsoft.
You are an xbone detective. It just doesn't make sense for them to lie straight up, when if it was true they could ignore/deflect.

Demon Ice

Banned
LMAO.

Look at Kojima. Oh yeah. Clear. Straight forward. Honest.

And at $40, still robbing the fanbase at gunpoint.

How was he not in any way clear, straight forward, and honest?

He revealed the length of the game, the resolution and frame rate differences between all 4 consoles it was launching on, and put up a comparison video.

That is miles ahead of what most devs of multiplats do.

hawk2025

How about we let Respawn release all that info on there own terms (probably in the form of some coverage blow out a week before or something), instead of at the behest of yammering yoyos on the internet?

The causality is potentially reversed -- the "yammering yoyos" exist because the information is not public.

It's fine that they want to release it at their own pace -- but I don't think that jives well with the tone of the relationship with the community.

Again, my opinion. They are free to release information as they see fit.

Squire

Banned
Spot on, EA and MS have something to prove not the other way around. Respect is earned.

Do the guys at Respawn have anything to prove? The ones responsible for shepherding one of the most successful franchises of all time?

Call me crazy, but based on their pedigree and impressions from the TitanFall beta (including my own) I kinda they don't need to prove a damn thing.

A lot of people will buy TitanFall based purely on word-of-mouth, faith, or a combination of both. Whether that's right or wrong, EA, MS, and Respawn know it and have every right to take advantage of it.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
bc7bQ6w.png

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
And, we have been lied to by Penello before, quiet obviously. But Respawn isn't Microsoft.

The major difference is that Penello's statement made zero sense to a technology-savvy person, while in this case CBoaT's statement make little sense. The game has been out running well enough with better-than-alpha textures. The contents of a statement are more important than the person who makes it.

Bluenova

Neo Member
I still believe in CBOAT, LOL. but y'all being so fickle, casting him out.. ;P the mark has been made

but not like anything he said should be taken at face value, thinking critically about the leaks and in the threads was hell of a lot of fun. To me anyway. Of course being wrong has its due consequences

the acc. suicide theory makes some sense, this alpha texture thing easily disproved and is funny/lame sword to fall on right? launches were not a catastrophe and leaks have been pretty dry since nov

hype train has left the station

Aces&Eights

wait what happened to shinobi? I feel like I missed some seismic event o_O

edit: just found his tweet about it

https://twitter.com/shinobi602/status/438022259048210432

damn it is an end of an era

So who is going to take care of us juniors now? We already have to constantly count the number of words we use in hopes it's enough to avoid a tempban, we marvel at all the veterans and their ability to make hilarious gifs but most of all we have come for the inside gaming news. CBOAT is being talked about like King MS Herod is on a witch hunt and sending a bunch of Judas Iscariots into the dry weeds to flush him out and Shinobi, my main source of awesome news has resigned? I don't want it to be October 1969.

Shinta

Banned
Apparently, that kid I was talking about has already been delivered.

2PjuFwj.png

Good for him. He'll probably be a lot happier. And having a kid is pretty much the time to get your wake up call, if ever.

Internet addiction is something a lot of people on here sweep under the rug, myself included.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
How about we let Respawn release all that info on there own terms (probably in the form of some coverage blow out a week before or something), instead of at the behest of yammering yoyos on the internet?
Be nice. If it weren't for yammering yoyos on the internet, this game wouldn't even have half the sales potential it does now.

Why can't TitanFall have dynamic resolution? Why can't they settle on 720p and 900p dynamic res? I don't understand why people aren't assuming that there won't be dynamic res. Maybe when there are alpha heavy effects on the screen, we get a resolution downgrade to 720p to maintain frame rate and during normal intervals it stays above 720p. This will also put their claim of the game being >720p as being true.

Call of Duty games did that on previous generation, i don't understand why they can't do it with TitanFall. The Alpha textures rumors is definitely bonkers, i just hope CBOAT is not perma'd.

Squire

Banned
You don't know what a robbery actually is, do you?

You don't know what an expression is, do you?

I got the point. I don't think Kojima has done all that noble though when the game still costs what it does. Points for putting out the info, fine.

Like I said though: Respawn has nothing to prove.

WHAT

whaaaaaaaaaaaa

A long time ago, in a land called GAF, there existed a cruel devil known only as Derrick.
He hated everyone and everything and brought misery upon this world.
Then came saint Shinobi, spreading GAF with hope and awareness until finally, the Order of Mods led by Bishop the mighty knight, pierced the devil's heart with their great bansticks.
With the devil gone and peace once again returned to the land of GAF, saint Shinobi disppeared into countless threads of light.

The End.

You are an xbone detective. It just doesn't make sense for them to lie straight up, when if it was true they could ignore/deflect.

True. It doesn't make sense. None of this does. That's why it's so compelling. And I love every minute of it.

I can't figure out how Occam's Razor best applies to this.

Among competing hypotheses, the hypothesis with the fewest assumptions should be selected.

cboat lying makes a lot of assumptions. (Account suicide, to exit the rumor game? To throw MS off the track? Hacked account? Playing the long con? Or maybe he knows he's being baited, so he's taking DIFFERENT false info to lead them off their trail.)

Respawn lying makes a few smaller leaps (That they want to make this launch as good as possible, and they are willing to ruin their reputation over this, OR they are just playing a technicality game, which goes against their established company image so far)

MS feeding false info makes two. (They actually are trying to sniff him out, AND cboat took the bait)

The most plausible assumptions is the Microsoft baiting.

It's going to be a long two weeks.

Sucks about shinobi. If you noticed he was legit unbiased. He praised everything, was just always positive about gaming. He simply posted the news, there was never a slant or secret agenda. RIP Newman

Daingurse

original.jpg

Pouring one out for man Shinobi. Always liked his enthusiasm for the Mass Effect series. At least the dude has his priorities straight, I can respect that.

You don't know what an expression is, do you?

I got the point. I don't think Kojima has done all that noble though when the game still costs what it does. Points for putting out the info, fine.

Like I said though: Respawn has nothing to prove.

Around these parts it's called "highway robbery" and that's exactly what it is.

statham

Sucks about shinobi. If you noticed he was legit unbiased. He praised everything, was just always positive about gaming. He simply posted the news, there was never a slant or secret agenda. RIP Newman
kinda disagree.
he had a flair for drama, and creating drama topics, he would snip out that one line he knew would drive GAF into a frenzy and make it the header.

darkwing

Why can't TitanFall have dynamic resolution? Why can't they settle on 720p and 900p dynamic res? I don't understand why people aren't assuming that there won't be dynamic res. Maybe when there are alpha heavy effects on the screen, we get a resolution downgrade to 720p to maintain frame rate and during normal intervals it stays above 720p. This will also put their claim of the game being >720p as being true.

Call of Duty games did that on previous generation, i don't understand why they can't do it with TitanFall. The Alpha textures rumors is definitely bonkers, i just hope CBOAT is not perma'd.

get the PC version?

Spot on, EA and MS have something to prove not the other way around. Respect is earned.

Let's be real guys, they put their ass on the line by letting everyone in attendance play this at EVERY gaming event since June (E3/Pax/Eurogamer/TGS), then an alpha, and then a relatively open beta on two platforms.

More than most devs in recent memory, they've let the game stand up for itself instead of trying to wow people with checklists. If the game sucked, no one would care if it was 720p or not.

Requested a permban to better focus on the rest of his life. He had a kid on the way, if I remember correctly.

i don't understand that. was he that addicted to gaf that he had to request a permaban to prevent himself from accessing the site? i mean, if i have a kid and a wife and that many responsibilities, my time would probably so constrained to even entertain the thought of going to gaf multiple times a day. i just don't get how being permabanned is the self-imposed solution. shouldn't not going to gaf be the first step?

Bsigg12

Why would shinobi want to be banned? He can just not log into gaf and keep his account in case he wanted to come back

Once you're no longer a junior member of GAF, you stop playing games and come here daily to bitch about them instead. It's the GAF way.

But in seriousness, asking for bans is something you see more commonly than people think. Simply logging out doesn't kill the temptation to get on here and discuss every topic. Only by taking the final step of cutting off all ties of being able to participate with GAF can you really let it go which is probably best for the person.

kinda disagree.
he had a flair for drama, and creating drama topics, he would snip out that one line he knew would drive GAF into a frenzy and make it the header.
Maybe you're right. Actually yeah you are, I do remember some of those drama titles and clever snips out of context. Still a big contributor to the site so it sucks :-/

i don't understand that. was he that addicted to gaf that he had to request a permaban to prevent himself from accessing the site? i mean, if i have a kid and a wife and that many responsibilities, my time would probably so constrained to even entertain the thought of going to gaf multiple times a day. i just don't get how being permabanned is the self-imposed solution. shouldn't not going to gaf be the first step?
Maybe it was just a start, like baby steps, weaning your way out of the habit. Good luck to him regardless

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom