• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

return of the Rat: the *NEW* official ESPN NFL 2005 xbox online league thread!

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
College Dropout said:
I didn't do anything that extreme, Stooge. I ran clock when it was the 4th w/ a lead. Just like I should.

I dont know the particulars of the situation, but there are people who will start clock milking to begin the second half, I was commenting more in general than in your case. Personally, until the game is under a minute to go I dont do it. Under a minute, and I consider it time to start taking knees.

ShadowRed

Banned
StoOgE said:
I like the idea, but they cough the ball up WAY to easily this way... it would just result in a fumble fest. I think the 5 runs is the best way to go.

I think if someone complains then you take a look at the play by play. If they are taking off and running for obscene amounts of yards that's a problem. If the guy just QB sneaked 4,5,6,10 times for 1-2 yards each then that's no problem.

ShadowRed

Banned
StoOgE said:
No.. clock milking is bullshit and here is why:

You have 35 seconds of playclock... and 5 minute quarters.. with no TV timeouts and all of that bullshit.. the ratio does not hold up to what really exists. If the ratio were intact you would get to milk about 10 seconds off of the clock between each play.. but that isnt long enough to pick a play all of the time, so they give you the full 35. You can run through an entire quarter with 2 first downs in this game.. try doing that in the NFL.

Last year I punted the ball off after my first possession of the second half and pinned my opponent inside his own 5 with about 2 minutes left in the 3rd quarter.. The game ended on that same possession and he had yet to cross the 50... I would like to see you advance the ball 40 yards and take a quarter and a half to do it IRL.

Sure, you can say I could do the same, or I could stop him, etc. but if we are going to do that we might as well allow the QB to run 90% of the time, go for it on 4th all the time and whatever else bullshit we want to do since 'anyone' can do the same thing. If we are playing a sim leauge, try and keep the clock milking more realistic.

I think clock milking should be met with automatic losses if you do it excessively.

Well we have to define clock milking. obviously if i call a play with 40 seconds left on the clock and sit at the line till it hits 1 I'm milking the clock, but what if I don't call a play till I have 10 seconds on the clock and then I don't hurry up the line, will that be considered milking? If not then people will do the latter instead of the former. The best defense agaist clock milking is to be ahead. People don't tend to milk the clock when they are down 1 or 2 scores.

Gunstar77

GAF Madden 2006 Season 1 NFC Champ
ShadowRed said:
I think if someone complains then you take a look at the play by play. If they are taking off and running for obscene amounts of yards that's a problem. If the guy just QB sneaked 4,5,6,10 times for 1-2 yards each then that's no problem.

That is a problem because on a good day in the NFL you are lucky to see more then 3 QB sneaks in a game total from both QBs.

Gunstar77

GAF Madden 2006 Season 1 NFC Champ
ShadowRed said:
Well we have to define clock milking. obviously if i call a play with 40 seconds left on the clock and sit at the line till it hits 1 I'm milking the clock, but what if I don't call a play till I have 10 seconds on the clock and then I don't hurry up the line, will that be considered milking? If not then people will do the latter instead of the former. The best defense agaist clock milking is to be ahead. People don't tend to milk the clock when they are down 1 or 2 scores.

Why do I have the feeling this league is going to end up sucking?

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
College Dropout said:
Hahaha.

Alright. He's gonna keep the moral high. =P

btw, go piss up a rope matrix. If I gotsta hear one more time about Ricky fucking Williams. Everyone ran in that league....just like everyone passes this year. I knew how to control the damn clock. So what. We all have the same number of possessions. Use it how you want.

Ugh nevermind..I dont want this to turn into a bitch fest about last year.

*takes piss on rope*

keep in mind we are playing *6* minute quarters, not 5. not that it makes a HUGE difference, but 4 minutes can be the difference between a win and a loss sometimes.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Also Mav the only reason I brought up the Williams shit is cause you're talking shit :p And you mentioned running with Vick and I got flashes of Williams in my head when you wrote that.

Matrix

I'm all ready for sim ball,I got sim running through my blood!

Ramirez

I just wanna know why a supposed Steelers fan is playing with the f'n Falcons?!BAH!

And Stooge,your talkin about Ahman right?I'd give you Deuce & Plaxico for Green and one of your WRs.Plax is rated 90 so your getting a stud there :p

Bog

Junior Ace
Why can't people just play cool? Konex and I had a great game last night, and although he went for it on 4th a couple times, it was a really clean game. No clock cheese, no real QB rushing, etc.

Ramirez

See I don't know how trades work in this game,I figured you might have to trade equal numbers of players or else the rosters wouldn't be right?Plus Im not talkin about his best WR,just one that he wouldn't mind parting with.

hgplayer1

Gunstar77 said:
Why do I have the feeling this league is going to end up sucking?

Im starting to get the feeling this league is doomed also. we havent even played a game and theres already so much discussion about cheese and rules and scenarios. I know a lot of you guys play each other on a regular basis and have seen things that might make it hard to enjoy the games but we cant make rules for every scenario in the game.

I agree with the limited QB running though I havent seen much of it at all in actual games. Im not sure how I feel about milk clocking since Ive had opening drives that lasted 1 quarter and I never once had the intention of milking the clock. sometimes I just take a while to decide what I want to call or find a specific play I want to run. depending on where I start the drive I could run like 12-18 plays. I would hate for someone to be milking the clock from the beginning of the game but I can see how someone might take their opening drive and extend it into the 2nd quarter.

I dont mind if someone QB sneaks 10 times in a game if they have a 3rd and 1 that many times in a game because if they managed to get in a 3rd and 1 position they are obviously doing something right on offense. if I see that many sneaks for MORE than a yard throughout the game then I would consider that cheese.

I want to propose a procedure by which people should make complaints to the league after its begun. PM the commish. never mention it in the boards or to the other player or to anyone else in the league. the commish should take it into consideration and leave it at that unless he gets another complaint on the same player. at this point stats and play by play should be examined to determine to the best of the commissioners ability whether or not something is going on. if you still feel like you really need to make other players aware of something a player is doing that might be considered cheese, offer a scouting report on the forums for that player that doesnt come off as a direct attack to the players style of play. we have 16 games to play and as far as I understand it nobody is gonna get kicked since we'll have an instant win thing going on, so we should all just play our games and Im sure that within a few games if anyone is cheesing itll come up in those first few games. even if it comes up later in the year it shouldnt take long to bring it to the commissioners attention and have it taken into consideration.

you are exactly right HG, and that's an excellent idea. i dont want there to be a whole bunch of "official rules" either. so, how does everyone feel about this solution: let everyone play, we all know to play legit, and if problems come up they will be dealt with.

the hold up is that im a fucking idiot and didn't bring my xbox with me to my parents house (which i am at now), my GF got home late last night (which is why the league was actually filled and i could join the tournament) but she isn't home right now so i can't "generate" the schedule. i'm leaving my parents house in about 10 mins, and its an hour drive back home, so the league will be up soon.

i apologize dudes, it was my screwup

Maverick

Chill, yayo. I'm just fucking around with you guys. The statement about me winning the league was tongue-in-cheek. I was just trying to make light of how tough it is to stop some of the offenses.

I'll defend this game. It's a good game. And we're going to have a good league. Last years league was good, I thought. But then again, I made it to the Super Bowl, and usually you think a game is great when you're on the winning end.

Matrix, I know just as well about the super backs. And hey, when I get the Colts on my schedule, I'm going to have a hell of a time stopping that O with my defense.

"I just wanna know why a supposed Steelers fan is playing with the f'n Falcons?!BAH!"

- Because you always steal them from me ya rat bastard. Besides, we tie the falcons, so we can't be enemies. ;) (I was there at Heinz for that mess, btw)

Matrix

"Matrix, I know just as well about the super backs. And hey, when I get the Colts on my schedule, I'm going to have a hell of a time stopping that O with my defense."

I think Konex has them so get ready for hot routes all over the place with that unstoppable O...waaaaaaa :(

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
I am going to be out most of the day, but I am down to play my game sometime tonight...... lets all shake hands and have a good SIM league...

Ramirez

Damn,Mav I remember that game,lol...didn't Plax catch a bomb on the 1 yard line when time expired? =(

FMT said the schedule would be up sometime tonight,soon guys :p

I think Konex has them so get ready for hot routes all over the place with that unstoppable O...waaaaaaa

You mean that unstoppable offense that I beat 80-0? :D :D :D :D

Matrix

Well its hard to stop with the Texans :( Still Konex will fall!

Maverick

Yeah....everyone thought he got in, especially everyone by me because I was sitting near the opposite endzone.

Weird thing to go home after a tie. I didn't know how to feel.

Matrix

TRIPOD WILL GET YOU DM!

DMczaf

WTF?! Noooooo BJ! Get up you sonofabitch...cause Mickey loves ya!

Mick.jpg

the schedule is up guys. lets go over some friendly reminders:

* This is a sim league, lets not have to make a lot of rules, you guys know how to play the right way. Dont go for it on 4th down in your territory on long yardage situations early in the game, dont scramble every down, etc etc. Come on dudes, its common sense how to play the right way. ask yourself this question when in doubt "Would the real <insert your team> do this?" and no, no team in the NFL would go for it on 4th and 10 in the 1st quarter in their end or even at all, no team would run the QB 15 times a game. so lets keep that in mind. enjoy!

Ramirez

Fuckin hell I got the Iggles in week 1 =( My CB's cant handle TO!!

Stooge get at me on that trade...

Plax/Deuce for Green

HG, let me know when you want to play. i owe roy "cheap shot" williams payback for what he did to jwill 2 years ago! woods will pose on the dallas star!

Matrix

I got YelloPeril/Saints week one.I'm not sure I have you on my friend list,if I dont I'll send you an invite.When can you play?

FrenchMovieTheme said:
HG, let me know when you want to play. i owe roy "cheap shot" williams payback for what he did to jwill 2 years ago! woods will pose on the dallas star!

Too bad the love of Dallas, T.O., isn't still around for this game.

Matrix

Cerebral Palsy said:
I get to play DM for Week 1. Wait, scratch that. I get to play the Bucs defense Week 1.

Roofles.

DMczaf

Cerebral Palsy said:
I get to play DM for Week 1. Wait, scratch that. I get to play the Bucs defense Week 1.

crying.pool.jpg

"Waaah waah! Big bad DM has the Bucs while I have the only rated 94 offense of the Chiefs! WAAAAAH!"

Matrix

HAHA the Texans can take down the mighty Chiefs in this game.

um stooge i hope you were joking when you offered me that trade. you could offer your ENTIRE team, all your best players, for my worst player, and i wouldn't accept it. i don't deal with green bay packers, dallas cowboys, or st. louis rams, nor will i ever have a player from one of those teams on my roster! go niners!

DMczaf said:
When do you want to play CP? I can play right now or later.

I dunno. Today is kind of bad. I have a lot of work do on this group project for one of my classes, and it has to be ready for our meeting tomorrow. Let me grab some lunch, and then I'll let you know what is up.

Top Bottom