• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rifftrax [OT] Some Movies Have it Coming

Status
Not open for further replies.
1A0A3.png

672Ii.png

http://www.rifftrax.com/

What is Rifftrax?
In short it's the a project of Mike Nelson to riff newer movies with synced MP3 files. Eventually Kevin Murphy and Bill Corbett joined along and they now riff newer movies, Movies with audio synced to it (Abraxas, Brainiac, Crater Lake Monster....and many many many), plus SHORTS (check out Don't Be A Bloody Idiot, As We Like It, Patriotism...with Bob Crane, and many many more). They also allow people to upload and sell their own riffs (including video for PD or cleared titles).

It's funny and there is so much to choice from with the Star Wars Holiday Special to the Twilight films...which are amazing.

Some samples
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPOJlf-3fIc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om0ylL1sTQg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtWnqDBi5H8&feature=share&list=UUL74m_9E8c2v6AkTN91lxJQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwlYONSfbZY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cn3jmWjcyFw&feature=share&list=UUL74m_9E8c2v6AkTN91lxJQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtWnqDBi5H8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyCjatiO4oY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCjn01_RCPc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWl43_jCAxE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owRRmZSnICY

Man, it's been a long time since I've watched one of these.
Should probably go back and catch up on a few.
I distinctly remember the Rifftrax for Eragon being incredibly funny.

Man, it's been a long time since I've watched one of these.
Should probably go back and catch up on a few.
I distinctly remember the Rifftrax for Eragon being incredibly funny.

If you want a good place to start try some of the pry-synced movies or shorts (as it cuts down a lot of time)...or Twilight or Birdemic.

First Rifftrax I watched was Star Trek: Generations. It was such a pain to synch it up because the Rifftrax Player wasn't out yet. I also have:

All 6 Star Wars movies
Independence Day
Jurassic Park
Fantastic Four
Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country
Batman Forever
Tron

My top 3 that you can buy on demand:

Ghosthouse
Laser Mission
The Galaxy Invader

All 3 are hilarious.

Galaxy Invader is White Trash GOLD!

First Rifftrax I watched was Star Trek: Generations. It was such a pain to synch it up because the Rifftrax Player wasn't out yet. I also have:
Talk about the dark days...and it still is if you have a Blu-ray...like my wife does of Birdemic.

I've been buying there stuff since...Crossroads. Man that seems like so damn long ago when it was just Mike and the idea of the others seemed like a fantasy.

Oh anyone ever check out the donation page.
http://www.rifftrax.com/donate
Hey, did you pay for that?

Here at RiffTrax we have two goals: to offer you the finest and funniest commentaries available anywhere – and to bake the tastiest whole-grain breads, rolls and muffins made from only the choicest organic ingredients. Admittedly, we’ve fallen far short of the second goal. In fact we have yet to even purchase an oven, let alone learn how to bake. Instead, we’ve concentrated on the commentaries and so far, people seem to like them (except that one guy – you know who you are…)

In order to make the Riffing process as easy and fun as possible we offer our commentaries as convenient MP3s, as opposed to any format encumbered by Digital Rights Management. We also intentionally kept the price low to make them easily accessible. As a small company, we rely solely on sales of these commentaries (at least until we debut our baked goods).

The point is, we realize there are times when you may find yourself in possession of a RiffTrax that you didn’t pay for (hey, it’s the internet – it happens.) All we ask is that you do the right thing so that we can keep bringing you quality riffing for years to come. Click here to make a donation (starting at $5)!

Let's just say it's funny and effective from things I've read.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Is this as funny as 'how did this get made?' I imagine it is in a similar vein but in realtime with the movie.

Snake

Subbed.

Just watched the Rifftrax for "The Revenge of Dr. X" last night (based on a 1950s screenplay by Ed Wood, so you know it's good). Oh my god, this movie. I think the best part was when
they go to the beach and out of nowhere they employ the aid of a bevy of topless japanese women, and it is played totally nonchalantly.

Subbed.

Just watched the Rifftrax for "The Revenge of Dr. X" last night (based on a 1950s screenplay by Ed Wood, so you know it's good). Oh my god, this movie. I think the best part was when
they go to the beach and out of nowhere they employ the aid of a bevy of topless japanese women, and it is played totally nonchalantly.

Sweat I have that on my queue, but I'm back up to the Brainiac. That was hilarious.

border

I like the concept and wish the guys the best, but I have to imagine most people pirate the shit out of both the movies and the Riffs. It's simply too much hassle to try and sync up playback yourself -- most people will probably download a Divx file with audio already synced.

I like the concept and wish the guys the best, but I have to imagine most people pirate the shit out of both the movies and the Riffs. It's simply too much hassle to try and sync up playback yourself -- most people will probably download a Divx file with audio already synced.

Hence the donate button.

Also more and more VOD is available and the shorts always have been. You should give those a try. The VOD films also tend to be more of the type you would see on MST3K.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
The Harry Potter ones are great, and I think get funnier with each one.

The Twilight ones are must-see. They make the movies a very enjoyable experience.

Few of my favorites outside of those.

Batman and Robin
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
Jurassic park
Eragon

Snake

The Harry Potter ones are great, and I think get funnier with each one.

The Twilight ones are must-see. They make the movies a very enjoyable experience.

Yeah, the Harry Potter series and Twilight are probably my standout favorites.

But, while there are a few duds, I can never recall a "bad" Rifftrax in general. I've noticed some antipathy towards Rifftrax on GAF in the past and I don't get why. It's on the same level as MST3K, at least in my opinion. And I think you get a real sense of that when they do movies that could've just as well have been on MST3K (Galaxy Invader, etc.) as opposed to modern blockbusters.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Yeah, the Harry Potter series and Twilight are probably my standout favorites.

But, while there are a few duds, I can never recall a "bad" Rifftrax in general. I've noticed some antipathy towards Rifftrax on GAF in the past and I don't get why. It's on the same level as MST3K, at least in my opinion. And I think you get a real sense of that when they do movies that could've just as well have been on MST3K (Galaxy Invader, etc.) as opposed to modern blockbusters.

The superhero films got old. It seemed like they were just recycling the same jokes. batman and Robin was the only real standout for them I think. And that one was part of a fan contest where fans submitted the jokes.

I have to agree, it sure is easy to just find one of the "available" Rifftrax movies on there. For the record though, I've already bought a few of their MP3 compilation discs. And I've discovered a relatively easy way to make my own synced videos with Sony Vegas (and the cheap 50 dollar version no less!) that only takes me about 10 minutes. It involves ripping the movie and importing it and the Mp3 into Vegas and matching it up yourself, exporting the merged audio and then use MKV Merge to merge the Audio and movie back together. The cool thing is unlike a lot of those internet rips, you can include the introduction audio.

EDIT: I think the only thing that gets old for me is some of the fat celebrity jokes. It's not offensive to me or anything, I just find it so dull and tasteless. *scene with shaking or shot of area with holes/craters* "Oh it's *fat celebrity* doing exercise/eating/etc again!"

Iceman

Been hosting rifftrax nights pretty regularly.. about once a week. Indoctrinating new people almost as frequently. People both hated and loved birdemic and the first two twilights, but they are resistant to see any more horrible movies.. but then I show the dark knight/inception/jaws and they complain about that too: they're trying to pay attention to the movie and find the commentary annoying. No complaints for the karate kid part 3 though, and wow was that a bad movie.

I think for my group it has to be unfamiliar/ unpopular but at least marginally watchable. And clearly twilight and birdemic don't satisfy those requirements.

I need more movies like kk3. Any suggestions?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Been hosting rifftrax nights pretty regularly.. about once a week. Indoctrinating new people almost as frequently. People both hated and loved birdemic and the first two twilights, but they are resistant to see any more horrible movies.. but then I show the dark knight/inception/jaws and they complain about that too: they're trying to pay attention to the movie and find the commentary annoying. No complaints for the karate kid part 3 though, and wow was that a bad movie.

I think for my group it has to be unfamiliar/ unpopular but at least marginally watchable. And clearly twilight and birdemic don't satisfy those requirements.

I need more movies like kk3. Any suggestions?

Eragon

DiscoJer

I never followed them at all when they just had the mp3s you had to sync to movies (too much hassle), but I love, love, love their pre-synced VODs - just like MST3K sans the skits (which to be honest, were pretty painful in the later MST3K days).

Crater Lake Monster is the best, but Ghosthouse is very good too. So is Mutant.

Seeing them do Manos live the other week was unforgettable.

I think I may still prefer Cinematic Titanic in terms of the post-MST3k riffing shows, but that probably stems from my enjoyment of the early to mid-era MST3k casts more than the later ones. It'd be neat to see them join forces again one day, but there's probably too much going on behind the scenes to let that happen.

Been hosting rifftrax nights pretty regularly.. about once a week. Indoctrinating new people almost as frequently. People both hated and loved birdemic and the first two twilights, but they are resistant to see any more horrible movies..

Tell them they need to man up!

I also suggest the Star Wars prequels.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I wish they'd get a move on the last two Harry Potter films. i want to hear their reaction to the Quiddich Pitch burning.

elwes

Nice, I didn't know they finally had a new rifftrax player. That turned me off to them for awhile, since it was such a pain getting the DVD synced up to the audio.

For me, Rifftrax is much more hit-and-miss than MST3K was. However, I recently saw a Rifftrax Shorts compilation, and it was just as hysterical as MST3K. I urge everyone to check out the shorts compilations.

For me, Rifftrax is much more hit-and-miss than MST3K was. However, I recently saw a Rifftrax Shorts compilation, and it was just as hysterical as MST3K. I urge everyone to check out the shorts compilations.

Most of the issue to me with Rifftrax is that they pretty much force themselves to do the hot new films when it can be really hard to riff all these movies. When they did older bad stuff, it was much easier since they get to pick exactly what they do. While with regular new release films they just do it for the heck of it, and often these are not truly awful films.

The Rifftrax work on older films and shorts, for the most part are all hillarious. But the big hollywood releases are very hit and miss.

Most of the issue to me with Rifftrax is that they pretty much force themselves to do the hot new films when it can be really hard to riff all these movies. When they did older bad stuff, it was much easier since they get to pick exactly what they do. While with regular new release films they just do it for the heck of it, and often these are not truly awful films.

The Rifftrax work on older films and shorts, for the most part are all hillarious. But the big hollywood releases are very hit and miss.
Except Twilight.

Staring the lead of Puma Man
Video Sample at the link
http://www.rifftrax.com/vod/bermuda-triangle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eg0qVl7s-Ao

Featuring half-man/half-jaw actor Miguel Fuentes, a.k.a. the Aztec from The Pumaman! 

There are lots of theories about why ships disappear in the Bermuda Triangle. Some blame magnetic anomalies affecting navigation. Some cite alien abduction. Others point out that it’s actually just a huge amount of ocean, and of course you’re going to lose some ships out there, you nitwits. But the makers of The Bermuda Triangle have their own fresh theory, and it all comes down to something NEVER BEFORE SEEN IN A HORROR MOVIE -- a creepy doll, telling a creepy little girl to kill her family. But this time, it’s on a boat. A BOOOOOAT!!!

A hilariously dubbed Italian-Mexican joint production, The Bermuda Triangle is low on logic and high on ridiculous old-fashioned racism. A family sets out to find Atlantis with a crew of stereotypes, including a black cook character that would embarrass Amos and Andy. Heading the family? None other than legendary actor and director JOHN freaking HUSTON, in a role that one can only imagine he took in order to spend time near the ship’s other most notable passenger, A REALLY HOT WOMAN IN A BIKINI. 

Will they find Atlantis before they’re all dead? Will anyone on board even seem aware they’re looking for Atlantis? Find out by disappearing into The Bermuda Triangle with Mike, Kevin, and Bill! (and, y’know, also that bikini woman we mentioned)

rezuth

I have never liked the short videos I've seen from this, just find it annoying. Whats the best movie to give it a real chance?

BearChair

I have never liked the short videos I've seen from this, just find it annoying. Whats the best movie to give it a real chance?

Twilight is pretty fantastic. If you have Hulu Plus, you can watch several shorts and movies free including Night of the Living Dead and Plan 9 from Outer Space. NotLD is less than great, but Plan 9 is pretty good. Carnival of Souls is also on Hulu, which will probably the only movie ever to get both a Criterion Collection and Rifftrax. It just kind of depends on your mindset when you go into that one. It's either art or trash.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Riffs about the crossdressing Willy Wonka were great.

Also loved the elderly Donald Sutherland jokes.

"The New iPhone. It's... curved, or something, for some reason....

$600, please"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom