• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rime Re-Reveal gameplay trailer (PC/PS4/XB1/Switch, May 2017)

Depends on how you interpret the framing. If you show that Sony has fully published bad games that did not meet expectations, it is a question on the reliability of Sony's judgement about what is bad and good and whether Sony even cares. On the counter side, we don't have enough evidence about the games that Sony did can. Remember Me is actually pretty decent and was everything that was promised. LA noire was good. So, it follows that Sony very much did withdraw funding for good games. There has also been scenarios where the games canned did turn out bad. The only thing left to assume is Sony canning funding is not a statement of quality. It's only a statement that the game has exceeded the amount in which Sony was willing to allocate for it.

The premises may or may not be true but that has nothing to do with framing. "Sony only abandons bad games" logically means that all games Sony has abandoned are bad. Being bad is a necessary condition for abandonment. There is no framing that changes this.

And you might disagree with what is considered bad and what isn't. That's fine. I'm not arguing that that premise is right. I'm arguing that someone's counterargument doesn't refute jack shit.

Mahadev

The atmosphere looks worse compared to the original, graphics too. Good news is that it's now on PC too so if it's mediocre I might buy it during steam sales.

Mifune

Mehmber
The most worrying aspect about this game is that in 2012, when Microsoft rejected it, it was, well, a completely different game. No puzzles but plenty of combat and tower defense.

To go from that to this (in good enjoyable shape) in five years, with rumored development troubles, would be quite the miracle metamorphosis.

I still believe, though. Cautiously.

PaulloDEC

The most worrying aspect about this game is that in 2012, when Microsoft rejected it, it was, well, a completely different game. No puzzles but plenty of combat and tower defense.

To go from that to this (in good enjoyable shape) in five years, with rumored development troubles, would be quite the miracle metamorphosis.

I still believe, though. Cautiously.

Wait, what? Source?

I'm torn because while really beautiful this looks a bit too much of a Ghibli/ Team Ico tribute to me. That and the possibility of the game becoming an empty open world game with weightless puzzles.

I'm hoping the opposite is the case and that after all the drama the team completes delevopement with all their love and heart pouring into it.

wouwie

I love this type of games so i'm hoping it turns out to be a great game. It looks solid judging by the trailer. Ofcourse, a lot will depend on the gameplay but i'll keep my fingers crossed for something great.

watershed

Banned
The game looks solid but because of the heavy Team Ico inspiration I find myself wondering if the controls are good or not.

Widge

The game looks solid but because of the heavy Team Ico inspiration I find myself wondering if the controls are good or not.

It makes me wonder if there will be preconceptions going into the game. Ico was all about really tightly done locations. Here is your room, find your way across it. Everything was nicely compartmentalised despite the illusions of grand scale. I'm not getting that from this. I see the visual nods, the camera angles but I'm not getting Ico in terms of structure from it.

watershed

Banned
It makes me wonder if there will be preconceptions going into the game. Ico was all about really tightly done locations. Here is your room, find your way across it. Everything was nicely compartmentalised despite the illusions of grand scale. I'm not getting that from this. I see the visual nods, the camera angles but I'm not getting Ico in terms of structure from it.

Team Ico.

PaulloDEC

Lots of lies from Tequila.

I realise you were probably just trying to be succinct here, but answers like this are how developers end up the subject of witch hunts.

A whole bunch of swirling rumours of mismanagement and lack of progress came out a while back, including the suggestion that one or more of the trailers were created from scratch because the game itself either didn't exist or wasn't far enough along.

Add to that the split with Sony and you get a lot of people acting like the developers personally promised them a shiny golden egg and instead delivered a lump of coal.

Tequila's development issues aren't any of our business, and acting like we've been personally slighted is ridiculous. Rather than run around puffing our chests out and proclaiming how we'll never trust them again, we should just be doing for Rime the same thing we should do for all games; wait for impressions and reviews before we hand over our money.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
I realise you were probably just trying to be succinct here, but answers like this are how developers end up the subject of witch hunts.

A whole bunch of swirling rumours of mismanagement and lack of progress came out a while back, including the suggestion that one or more of the trailers were created from scratch because the game itself either didn't exist or wasn't far enough along.

Add to that the split with Sony and you get a lot of people acting like the developers personally promised them a shiny golden egg and instead delivered a lump of coal.

Tequila's development issues aren't any of our business, and acting like we've been personally slighted is ridiculous. Rather than run around puffing our chests out and proclaiming how we'll never trust them again, we should just be doing for Rime the same thing we should do for all games; wait for impressions and reviews before we hand over our money.

One of the most reasonable posts I've read on gaf in a long time.

but that was confirmed to not be a rumour.

Way to miss the point and fail to argue against what I'm saying.

I'm not saying that a guarantee of quality is sufficient for SIE to continue funding a game. Of course, there could be other reasons why they would not despite a game being good: maybe their parent company needs funds and is removing them from SIE.

Similarly, you cannot refute the claim that those abandoned games will be poor by pointing out that some of those which have not been abandoned will be poor. Maybe they will always have been regardless of Sony's involvement -- it still doesn't refute the conclusion.

One thing is that you're claiming theft there with the first hold part. Not every game is a Colonial Marines.

Two, Sony made the biggest fuck up with deciding not to publish Demons Souls outside of japan. They had no confidence in the game and it paid off hugely for NB and Atlus. So yes, Sony have been known to make mistakes.

Prithee Be Careful

Industry Professional
Still looks really nice, but I'm guessing this has been on the shelf since we last saw it - I can't really see any meaningful progress. Probably best to wait for reviews/impressions on this one.

If it delivers though, I'm there - I never pass up an chance to support a smaller developer.

Rootbeer

Banned
Definitely very excited. The art style makes it a great fit for Switch too (since it probably won't be as beastly as the other platforms). Plan to get it on Switch and then maybe double dip on the Steam version down the road if I like it.

Even if we assume that's true, what difference does it make? If anything they only made their own job more difficult by setting expectations for a product they hadn't made yet. We as consumers lost absolutely nothing.

Sigh.
We don't have to assume anything. The dude said it was faked in flashier wording. Doesn't really affect me I still think it looks good but it does lend credence to the other rumours from people close to the dev studio.

Zomba13

I still don't even know the story of this game. I knew it was some PS4 exclusive or something then wasn't and everyone said how it was all fake and lies and basically the Sadness of this generation without much saying why. Like, ok, it was fake footage, a target render. So is almost every reveal trailer nowadays and people eat that shit up. Fair enough if they couldn't deliver on deadlines but I don't think I've seen any proof, only people saying it. And even then, plenty of games missed deadlines and got delayed and turned out ok (though obviously not all).

PaulloDEC

We don't have to assume anything. The dude said it was faked in flashier wording. Doesn't really affect me I still think it looks good but it does lend credence to the other rumours from people close to the dev studio.

I'll take your word for it. As I said earlier though, none of those rumours will mean anything by the time the game releases, because people will have played and reported on it by then. It'll all have been laid bare.

I still don't even know the story of this game. I knew it was some PS4 exclusive or something then wasn't and everyone said how it was all fake and lies and basically the Sadness of this generation without much saying why. Like, ok, it was fake footage, a target render. So is almost every reveal trailer nowadays and people eat that shit up. Fair enough if they couldn't deliver on deadlines but I don't think I've seen any proof, only people saying it. And even then, plenty of games missed deadlines and got delayed and turned out ok (though obviously not all).

All good points, especially the bolded.

We can have fun splashing about in the pre-release muck all we like, but the only part that really matters is the quality of the final product. If the game comes out and sweeps perfect 10s from every publication, nobody is going to give the slightest shit that one trailer four years ago seemed like gameplay but actually wasn't.

This whole thing we do as gamers where we peek through developers' windows and try to guess what they're doing can be fun, but it can also bring out the worst (not to mention dumbest) in us.

orioto

Good Art™
Looks really nice to me. It's nice to see more conent, bosses etc.. Looks more lively and interesting like that.

I wonder how the Switch version will look.

Shari

You're going too far, that would be logic but that's not how videoga.. er, companies fanatics work, here's the timeline.

Rime is PS4 exclusive/has a marketing deal
Sony drops Rime marketing support
Rumour has it there is no game and that the trailer is just smoke and mirrors (this comes at the same time sony is dropping the support, lol)
Now turns out there is a game, it's been rated and it's releasing => Don't trust their lies, sneaky dev, etc

I mean you dont even have to think about whys anymore, you think about the expectation this game created back when it was exclusive and how people talk now and you pretty much can figure where we at.

I'll take your word for it. As I said earlier though, none of those rumours will mean anything by the time the game releases, because people will have played and reported on it by then. It'll all have been laid bare.
For sure. I can see why some have reservations though. We'll see come May.

Osiris397

Banned
The game does look worse than the original trailers atmospherically/animation wise and texture wise, but it also looks more like a Journey rip off gameplay wise.

sora87

It could be better than peoples precious overrated Ico game.

tumblr_ofkyavnEdz1u1ljrzo1_540.gif

Shredderi

Best post in the thread.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Lies? Nope, I'd say changes during development. Something normal, but that traditionally happens behind scenes without being noticed by players.

Ummm....no Tequila were lying years ago. The first video was fake.

They kinda are, because they are receiving funds from the Spanish goverment, money that comes from my and co-citizens pockets.

Dlink16

Is this real life? First The Last Guardian resurrected from the dead and now this. Cautiously optimistic.

Why are you so adamant on defending them?

Shredderi

Why are you so adamant on defending them?

Because no one wants a witch hunt. He's not really defending them either. He offers no praise for the game since he hasn't played it yet. He is just saying that he won't write the game off because of the studio's internal problems in the past, since the game we're seeing here does look like the one they showed at the beginning, even if the game did not actually exist in that form when they first showed it.

Top Bottom