• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider - PS4 Pro Tech Video

NeoRaider

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIm27wrT4jo

Crystal Dynamics Chief Technology Officer Gary Snethen details how Crystal Dynamics and Nixxes Software have enhanced Rise of the Tomb Raider: 20 Year Celebration for the PlayStation 4 Pro. Additions include three unique visual modes – 4K Resolution, High Frame Rate, and Enriched Visuals – alongside other enhancements such as hardware tessellation, anisotropic filtering, additional dynamic foliage, and more.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
better AF, dynamic foliage and hardware tessellation are pretty good enhancements

This is how Sony should be handling the Pro. Don't simply release text descriptions, actually show it in video form. And actually highlight the 1080p mode. Chances are most people that purchase a Pro will be playing on a 1080p set.

Edit: The only thing they should add is the ability to show direct comparisons in the 1080p modes so that people can see just how big of a difference the changes make.

Impulsor

Is the input lag gone in the PS4 version?

I'm getting this again for the PRO only if this is the case.

So no at release, but yes now with the patch? Right?
Yep.

Also mess, guess I was late with my thread :p

anyway, I wrote down what they said for Enhanced visuals:
For enriched visuals mode:
Hardware tessellation has been added

Anisotropic filtering has been increased, they didn't say what level

Additional dynamic foliage

Increased LOD

Additional PureHair strands (so presumably like the highest setting on PC)

Sun soft shadows also come over from PC

Improved bokeh DOF

Tyaren

Now we just need someone to make some comparison screens/vids of the enhanced graphics scenes in the video. ;)

this is great. i wish everyone was being as thorough about this as crystal dynamics. this is being delivered today, but i'll be waiting until my pro is delivered to dive into it. probably going to do the enhanced visuals at 1080p 30fps. i don't mind 30fps for 3rd person games and i want to see the eye-candy that the pro can pump out.

NeoRaider

Now we just need someone to make some comparison screens/vids of the enhanced graphics scenes in the video. ;)

Imo. compared to the Xbox One version (PS4 is almost identical) improvements are really big, from what i can see watching this trailer.

I played PC version @1080p resolution, Ultra settings and this looks so close to the PC version, i am actually surprised. I am sure that Enriched Visuals mode will be stunning!

i like all of those things
u know what to do then...

have $2000 ready

edit: also, in regards to 4k mode he said it renders games in "stunning 4k resolution". has it been increased over the upscaled 1440p from the original demo? i did remember someone saying that a 480 could approach 4k30fps with the right settings.

Conduit

Banned
Crystal Dynamics Chief Technology Officer Gary Snethen details how Crystal Dynamics and Nixxes Software have enhanced Rise of the Tomb Raider: 20 Year Celebration for the PlayStation 4 Pro. Additions include three unique visual modes – 4K Resolution, High Frame Rate, and Enriched Visuals – alongside other enhancements such as hardware tessellation, anisotropic filtering, additional dynamic foliage, and more.

It is 4k native in the end or not?

kyser73

I'm going 30fps enhanced, maybe HFR for a second playthrough.

I really enjoyed TR:DE and fortunately don't suffer form FRS (FrameRate Sensitivity) so 30 locked is fine, as is a 50+ average.

it's a shame they weren't able to apply a patch to tr2013's definitive edition as well. it ran 1080p60~fps on OG PS4 so that seems like a good candidate for native 4k30fps.

also, it probably could've smoothed out the 1080p60fps mode and allowed better IQ.

its a good video. They did a great job explaining the game and even talking up the bonus content (albeit in passing). I'll still get the game when its on sale tho. :p

psychotron

That's a lot of improvements. Seems Nixxes put a ton of effort into getting that pro version into shape. I might buy again, even though I played on XB1.

64bitbros

I have Rise ready to be played when my Pro gets here in a few days. But i stopped watching that vid. Is shows way way too much for my liking. I don't want all the surprises and set pieces ruined before i play the game.

Seth

think ill probably be going with the 4k mode.

Would be great if theres an ingame thing to show off each mode, like a video where you can toggle between the 3 to see them together.

Good options, but i must say that the 1080P mode looked shimmery and still filled with jaggies, unfortunately. I was hoping this would be close to gone on the Pro.

From what i could tell in that video... surprisingly i would go for 4K mode.

Top Bottom