• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider - PS4 Pro Tech Video

Lettuce

Impossible with the CPU in the PS4/PS4 Pro. That is, unless you want to get rid of multiple graphical effects.

Thats an idea, if their going to tout a video mode as 'high framerate', then every graphically effect should be sacrificed to hit a constant 60fps!!!

Latimer

Banned
Thats an idea, if their going to tout a video mode as 'high framerate', then every graphically effect should be sacrificed to hit a constant 60fps!!!

I agree with you, but they or Sony probably want it to look at least as good as the PS4 version.

Lt-47

Impossible with the CPU in the PS4/PS4 Pro. That is, unless you want to get rid of multiple graphical effects.

You would likely need to change more than just graphical effect. Steaming and IA can also be CPU intensive and you can't easily scale these down

I expect most new AAA games to be like this.

I wonder just how good the enhanced 30fps version will look. I think I would go for that version.

For AAA games, the bump in power is very welcome. Also feel like we're getting to diminishing returns on 1080p games. I think after a certain point, the mainstream gamer just isn't going to care.

That could be the reason Scorpio increased power won't matter. We're just getting to the point, at least with 1080p gamers, people aren't going to care.

O - Higher resolution but not real 4K
O - Higher settings but not max pc settings
O - Higher framerate but not 60 fps

PS4/Xbox one -> Pick none
PS4Pro -> Pick one

The PS4 Pro's GPU should be capable of offering the max PC graphical settings at 1080p 30 fps, minus SSAA.

Not sure how well the bandwidth will hold up though so it will be interesting to see if they do it.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
The PS4 Pro's GPU should be capable of offering the max PC graphical settings at 1080p 30 fps, minus SSAA.

Not sure how well the bandwidth will hold up though so it will be interesting to see if they do it.
I think he is just telling people that under wishful assumption

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Great video

I just wish enhanced AF would also be available in the 4K modes. It's help would be far more noticeable at higher res but seeing as a few games now can't do it, it seems like that won't happen. Since I'm still on 1080p for a bit, I'm going to stick with the enhanced visuals setting.

LordOfChaos

"The graphics power of the PS4 Pro allows anisotropic filtering"

-__-

Should have been an absolute standard on the 8th gen anyway. People have proposed a mixed CPU/GPU load reducing total extractable bandwidth as an answer, but I don't buy that, I would think most devs would turn down something else to have good clean AF on the base PS4.

This is something I've been forcing x8-x16 on since my Radeon x1650 Pro.

Candyland: Rise of the Tomb Raider – PS4 Pro 1080p Enhaced Visuals vs. PS4 Graphics Comparison

Not really much difference. Game looks almost the same, and i have to say that i expected more from this 1080p/30fps mode on Pro.

Were you expecting a significant difference? Even on PC with all diales turned up at 1080p, it doesn't look that different to the consoles version. FPS and increasing Res/downsampling are the things that make the biggest difference since the game has AA issues.

bratpack

I initially was not going to buy this games but I think EIDOS made a lot of improvements to justify a purchase from me.

I don't understand this you weren't going to buy this wonderful action adventure game based on a few graphical bells and whistles?

sure the extra little effects are nice but not something to hold back on playing the game
at the end of the day that's what it's ultimately all about actually playing the game and having fun not checking for more trees or foilage.

Ricker

Pretty awesome...played this on the X1 and it was great,glad to see it on the PS4 now,with all those extras,its a great game.

dedhead54

I may double dip on this one. Loved it on XB1 and thought it looked spectacular so I feel like it'll be excellent with even better IQ.

Jacob4815

The problem i have with the enhanced mode is that it's still jaggy as fuck.
So i'll pick any downsampled mode available.

Will we get downsampled graphics on a 1080p display if we choose the 4K mode in this game?

Yes.
DF video review of the PRO shows the Tomb Raider 1080p supersampling mode, and the improvement in AA is massive.

I wanted to play the 1080p Enhanced Mode, but now I'm not so sure. I think I will play the supersampled mode.

Ranger X

I like how people are drooling at essentially a useless video that show nothing. 1080p 30fps cannot show the framerate and 4k enhancements lol

Yes.
DF video review of the PRO shows the Tomb Raider 1080p supersampling mode, and the improvement in AA is massive.

I wanted to play the 1080p Enhanced Mode, but now I'm not so sure. I think I will play the supersampled mode.
Hell yes. The enriched visuals don't top the clean visuals imo. Waaay too jaggy in the enhanced mode.
Thanx.

What vid was it? Can you still find it?

Fliesen

Well, the "enriched visuals" mode sure looks pointless.

yeah, they're 'enriched' but just ever so slightly so.

4k owners should go for 4k resolution or higher framerate.
1080p owners should go for higher framerate, really.

d9b

Banned
Fantastic job by Crystal Dynamics and Nixxes Software to include all the different options for Pro version of the game. Hopefully this approach will become standard with all the games going forward.
Definitely picking up a copy with my Pro on Thursday.

Thanx. EXACTLY why i'm buying the PRo. That is a huge difference in immersion for me. Jaggies are the most distracting thing in gaming for me.

wait... the enhanced visuals mode on ps4 pro isn't super sampled down from the 4k frame buffer?

No. So the visual are enriched, but all you will notice are jaggies ruining the image.

No. What made you think that was the case?

Well, enriching visuals the fastest way is getting rid of the things that destroy visuals: Jaggies.

No. What made you think that was the case?

you know, i'm not sure. so then the unlocked frame rate mode in 1080p is identical to the 4k mode (other than the output resolution)? and the unlocked frame rate mode in 1080p attempts to hit 60fps (but struggles) and the 4k mode is locked at 30fps?

Well, enriching visuals the fastest way is getting rid of the things that destroy visuals: Jaggies.

That's right.

you know, i'm not sure. so then the unlocked frame rate mode in 1080p is identical to the 4k mode (other than the output resolution)? and the unlocked frame rate mode in 1080p attempts to hit 60fps (but struggles) and the 4k mode is locked at 30fps?

You have three options in RoTTR:

-4K mode with pristine image quality
-Enhanced graphical features at 1080p and 30fps
-Frame-rate that goes upto 60 at 1080p

Hope that helps.

That's right.

You have three options in RoTTR:

-4K mode with pristine image quality
-Enhanced graphical features at 1080p and 30fps
-Frame-rate that goes upto 60 at 1080p

Hope that helps.

yeah, i know that. i'm curious what frame rate the 4k mode runs at. i also didn't realize the enhanced graphics mode doesn't super sample from the 4k frame buffer. i'm assuming the 4k frame rate is unlocked as well.

VICI0US

yeah, i know that. i'm curious what frame rate the 4k mode runs at. i also didn't realize the enhanced graphics mode doesn't super sample from the 4k frame buffer. i'm assuming the 4k frame rate is unlocked as well.

in the OP video he says they "target" 30 FPS. that wording leads me to expect a variable sub-30 framerate

If they can't maintain 1080p at 60fps, I really doubt they're going to keep a locked 30fps at "4k", checkerboard or not

Chabbles

The only thing this gen was really missing from the start on the tech side was good AF, AA, and native 1080P as a minimum. This is all much needed polish.

Top Bottom