• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider - PS4 Pro Tech Video

The shot they used for better AF had seemingly terrible AF:
vlcsnap-2016-11-03-14lzuu5.png

What is up with that? Did the original game just have trilinear or something? Hence how "better" is just like 4x?

Tyaren

Would be a fool's errand using a Youtube video to do that.

If you compare two Youtube videos with each other that should be fine. Both equally badly compressed. XD

The shot they used for better AF had seemingly terrible AF:
vlcsnap-2016-11-03-14lzuu5.png

What is up with that? Did the original game just have trilinear or something? Hence how "better" is just like 4x?

Yeah, noticed that too. Maybe the guy who did the AF comparisons in the other thread also works for Crystal Dynamics? >;)

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Those are some very good updates. Too bad I already played the game last year (on the 360 no less :p) so I'll probably wait for this to drop in price before getting it on Pro.

XanaviF30

Just picked up this game last night. Not touching it until next week. Now to decide which mode to play as first. :/

martino

lol @ anisotropic filtering as pro feature....are they serious ? game should have it on ps4 already

Looks great, but they should have comparisons to show better how much each setting improves.

In this particular case, if I had a 4K screen I think I would go with that route, the 4K footage looked so clean whereas the 1080p enriched mode still had some shimmering.

icespide

Banned
Looks great, but they should have comparisons to show better how much each setting improves.

In this particular case, if I had a 4K screen I think I would go with that route, the 4K footage looked so clean whereas the 1080p enriched mode still had some shimmering.
I think they are trying to be careful to avoid making OG PS4 stuff look bad

Depending on how solid the 60fps is I'll go with the HFR option. If it's like the 2013 game then I'll happily play at 30 with those extra bells and whistles.

This is the exact kind of support I wanna see for the Pro. Good job.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Good options, but i must say that the 1080P mode looked shimmery and still filled with jaggies, unfortunately. I was hoping this would be close to gone on the Pro.

From what i could tell in that video... surprisingly i would go for 4K mode.

Even downsampled from 4K, it doesn't get rid of the jaggies completely on PC. Rise is just bad for shimmering and jaggies in general.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
So ....

based on how the video was paced, I'm assuming all the other features they listed after the 3 rendering modes (eg higher anistropic filtering, LOD upgrades) etc are all going to be available in 4K resolution mode as well, right ?

I hope more devs take this route when it comes to supporting games on PS4 Pro. It would be awesome if Uncharted 4 could run at 60fps on PS4 Pro.

Kremzeek

Can't wait to try this out next week!

Digital Foundry is going to be working overtime with all the analyses- it's going to be like early Christmas for graphics junkies!

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I hope more devs take this route when it comes to supporting games on PS4 Pro. It would be awesome if Uncharted 4 could run at 60fps on PS4 Pro.

I've been saying it since the pro was leaked: Don't expect FPS upgrades on any games unless stated to be the case.

The CPU won't be able to handle it for most titles, especially games that are capped at 30fps.

vivekTO

So ....

based on how the video was paced, I'm assuming all the other features they listed after the 3 rendering modes (eg higher anistropic filtering, LOD upgrades) etc are all going to be available in 4K resolution mode as well, right ?

"Enhanced visual" as name suggested is for higher anistropic filtering, LOD upgrades.
4k and framerate mode is just the basic version.

MaLDo

O - Higher resolution but not real 4K
O - Higher settings but not max pc settings
O - Higher framerate but not 60 fps

PS4/Xbox one -> Pick none
PS4Pro -> Pick one

But how can I possibly deal with all these options?! I just want to come home from a long day at work and put in a disc and play a specialized version of the game without having to adjust a bunch of sliders. It really ruins the experience.

Or at least that was the party line up until now.

hawk2025

But how can I possibly deal with all these options?! I just want to come home from a long day at work and put in a disc and play a specialized version of the game without having to adjust a bunch of sliders. It really ruins the experience.

But...
There aren't a bunch of sliders.

icespide

Banned

it's 3 choices not a bunch of sliders

NeoRaider

What??

Top Bottom