• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider - PS4 Pro Tech Video

platina

But how can I possibly deal with all these options?! I just want to come home from a long day at work and put in a disc and play a specialized version of the game without having to adjust a bunch of sliders. It really ruins the experience.

Or at least that was the party line up until now.
Oh the horror.

kyser73

Anyone else thinks Lara does not really look hot anymore?

Just a friendly tip mate, that kind of commentary isn't really the 'done thing' around here. You need to treat that junior status like fine china :)

Plus, she's gorgeous. Reminds me of one of my mates back in the UK.

Unknown?

This is how Sony should be handling the Pro. Don't simply release text descriptions, actually show it in video form. And actually highlight the 1080p mode. Chances are most people that purchase a Pro will be playing on a 1080p set.

Edit: The only thing they should add is the ability to show direct comparisons in the 1080p modes so that people can see just how big of a difference the changes make.
That's what they did, albeit briefly, at the reveal but either people didn't watch it or are too daft to understand.

Xyber

But how can I possibly deal with all these options?! I just want to come home from a long day at work and put in a disc and play a specialized version of the game without having to adjust a bunch of sliders. It really ruins the experience.

Oh no! How will you console players ever be able to play your games now with all these options to mess around with!?

It literally comes down to, do you want a better looking game, a more responsive game or a higher resolution if you happen to have a 4KTV. But I guess the mere fact that these options exists ruins the entire console experience...

I think they are trying to be careful to avoid making OG PS4 stuff look bad
Might be, though I think they would be interested in also making their current user base upgrade?

But when you think about it, the claims of "basically free" are completely false for console architecture and of no similarity to how its handled on PC?

There are a number of reasons of why essentially free on Pc may not translate on consoles.

For example, I believe last gen some developers said that on Pc the driver takes care of how intense the AF (up to the maximum set up) is applied based on how the surface is inclined based on the camera. And on console they had to either apply a fixed preset or do this calculation themselves. (though that might have changed as sdks evolved).

Also, AF takes more bandwidth which isn't exactly abundant on consoles.

And finally, maybe it's just a 1-3fps drop but the game may already be pushing to get a stable 30fps, and the extra burden for AF makes it impractical.

I dunno if there's a definite answer, but I would go with bandwidth, given that the only mode that has it is the enhanced 1080p, which compared to higher framerate and higher resolution is the only that doesn't increase the bandwidth automatically (some new improved effects could end up demanding more bandwidth, but at least that's more in the developer control)

I'll take visual eye candy over fps all day everyday. Aslong as it's playable i don't care about 10-15% extra frames. This game was gorgeous already so i'll be playing it at 1080 eye candy mode.

Vaga

Oh how can they do that?! The nerve of some people!

I can only imagine you trying to play something like

giphy.gif

Does the high frame rate mode still look better graphically than playing on a normal PS4? Same? Worse?

Double the framerate automatically means it'll look better even at the same resolution and graphical settings, which I guess is what you meant :)

BSpot

I have an iMac 5k. Trying to see these PS4 Tech Videos and they all recommend certain viewing settings... how come Youtube is maxing out at 1080/60 for me for Quality Options? Do I need to alter a setting somewhere?

Catman

Banned
Man, this game really is fucking gorgeous. I don't know how they pulled off some of these visuals with the hardware. Even on Xbox One, this game was gorgeous, but with these Pro features, I'm like wtf is this dark magic?

"Cinematic Hair"

You jest, but in the video they show, that is some real nice looking hair. Certainly a huge step up from the tresfx in the first game.

That's what they did, albeit briefly, at the reveal but either people didn't watch it or are too daft to understand.

I think they should do something like this for each mode. Point out that if you select X mode you'll get these benefits and you select Y mode you get these benefits. And then show and detail those. It gets the point across a lot better than simply blog posts.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I love seeing official tech videos from big companies as it gives me an idea of how the types of videos I've been reproducing stack up. I'll be doing one for the Pro version of this game but will be comparing it to other versions in the process.

Tarkus

The video is still up via eurogamer Portugal. Just search for Rise of the Tomb Raider tech.

I've not played TR since the first one. This looks like a ton of fun. Is it?

Rephil

The video is still up via eurogamer Portugal. Just search for Rise of the Tomb Raider tech.

I've not played TR since the first one. This looks like a ton of fun. Is it?

yes it is! i was surprised as well believe me! played it at my friends place and was instantly hooked. it even took me away from uncharted.. ;)

iKhayal18

I'm not sure if for those of us with a 4K TV the 4K mode will look better then the higher settings/effects mode... Mmm...

Lettuce

Hmm the wording on the first 2 video modes worries me, "Targets 30fps' and "up to 60fps" , the Enriched Visual mode is the only one where they state "at 30fps"

so for 4k resolution and high framerate modes you can expect fluctuating framerates then......not good!!, give us a locked 60fps mode FFS!!

Hmm the wording on the first 2 video modes worries me, "Targets 30fps' and "up to 60fps" , the Enriched Visual mode is the only one where they state "at 30fps"

so for 4k resolution and high framerate modes you can expect fluctuating framerates then......not good!!, give us a locked 60fps mode FFS!!

Impossible with the CPU in the PS4/PS4 Pro. That is, unless you want to get rid of multiple graphical effects.

Top Bottom